Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

867f730f7c326f4925f3dc2c13834e06.jpg

Robbed, again.

#NFC... well part from American Football Nation Football Championship, the Saudi National Football League and Nebraska football, I'm sure Notts County come a close fourth if he was intending to tag the opposition.

Of course, spelling to 4 letters appears to be too much for the young skatelet.

If you can drop as many points as they have and remain in the automatic promotion spots it says much about the state of Division Four.

Since superstar and future England captain Jed left, the division has become a dumping ground for badly-coached sh1t journeymen.

What does it say about the 4th tier?

No matter how they try to dress it up, that the second division is somehow "the Championship", that the third division is called League One and the fourth division is League Two, I was quite content to admit that we went down to the third division before beginning our phoenix-like rise back to the first division. However, I am even more content to state that the Skates are in the fourth division rather than some notional League Two.

That way, when they wrack their tiny little brains to recall 4-1 victories from the increasingly distant past, there is a nice correlation between the league we are in and the one that they are in.

Dress football up how you want with Skybet, Barclaycard, Coke or any other marketing stuff....

Div Four says 1975, it says overflowing toilets, sideburns and lost dreams.

So pompey are still in Division Four.

And I shall also continue to deny them a capital letter until the debts are cleared or criminality admitted.

Allow me my odd ways.

Dress football up how you want with Skybet, Barclaycard, Coke or any other marketing stuff....

Div Four says 1975, it says overflowing toilets, sideburns and lost dreams.

So pompey are still in Division Four.

And I shall also continue to deny them a capital letter until the debts are cleared or criminality admitted.

Allow me my odd ways.

It also says fat in the pipes, a fanbase that's stuck in the 1940s and a deluded attitude

They had a really good start, long unbeaten run, yet never went clear at the top. They're already holding on to top 3 and haven't had a bad run yet, which they will. Think they'll end up in the playoffs and bottle it.

But it's largely irrelevant. They are deluded enough to think promotion this season or next year or the year after will be the start of lots of promotions. It won't. They're a very small club now, can't compete at a higher level. I almost want them to go up so they see the reality of it, that League 1 is likely as good as it gets. The odd championship season perhaps and relegation. A bit of a Doncaster, Peterborough or worse.

tbf they're having their bad run now. We've had a great few years at their expense but you cant expect the kind of repeat year after year **** ups that it would take to keep a club with two or three times the average playing budget to skilfully avoid promotion. That's not to say it cant be done - if anyone can do it then Pompey can, but its not likely. They will go up sooner or later, but I cant see them ever getting back in the PL without a mega money injection - and the ownership structure they have is perfect for preventing that happening.

tbf they're having their bad run now. We've had a great few years at their expense but you cant expect the kind of repeat year after year **** ups that it would take to keep a club with two or three times the average playing budget to skilfully avoid promotion. That's not to say it cant be done - if anyone can do it then Pompey can, but its not likely. They will go up sooner or later, but I cant see them ever getting back in the PL without a mega money injection - and the ownership structure they have is perfect for preventing that happening.

Which ended well last time - they attracted a succession of chancers and money launderers and saw nothing wrong with it, always the bridesmaid...

I'm reasonably convinced they have pushed the salary envelope as far as it can go with all their new signings which seems to be backed up by Cook stating he wants to downsize his 27-man squad. If they fail to get promoted the problem they will face is the perennial pompey one of having signed older players who are not going to get better on 2+ year contracts.

It would be hugely amusing if they missed out on promotion, sacked their manager and completely rebuilt the squad over the summer.

As if anything like that would ever happen at Portsmouth. They are far too astute to follow a knee-jerk policy like that.

I'm reasonably convinced they have pushed the salary envelope as far as it can go with all their new signings which seems to be backed up by Cook stating he wants to downsize his 27-man squad. If they fail to get promoted the problem they will face is the perennial pompey one of having signed older players who are not going to get better on 2+ year contracts.

Spot on. This is the first time for many years that they have actually had to live with finite financial resources, and they don't know how. It's pretty plain they're over their budget (my guess is around £20k month) and the bills are mounting now that the season ticket money has gone. I think they now have to submit a "tax clearance certificate" to the FL every month, so they haven't got the option of the Bank of HMRC as working capital this time round. Their monthly tax bill (PAYE, NI & VAT) must be around £75k month.

In previous years they've had unpaid creditors (twice), barrowloads of parachute payments that should have gone to creditors and Tesco money to bail them out. Now they've only got the pockets of their HNW shareholders who must be looking over their shoulders at the chasing pack. I imagine there are a few tasty conversations between McInness and Cook at the moment.

I have to admit, it would take a special kind of skill for them to avoid promotion. If they managed it this season I would be seriously impressed.

They've managed to underachieve before - appointing several future England managers, outbidding the whole division for players and even managing to get relegated.

They may just be able to pull off a wasted season one more time - it'll be tough, as they are surrounded by the worst collection of clubs seen since Tiger Woods' missus used a set to rearrange his sports room.

I have to admit, it would take a special kind of skill for them to avoid promotion. If they managed it this season I would be seriously impressed.

I've just seen it's actually top 3 that are automatically promoted. Always though they needed top 2. It really would be something special to **** it up this time. Would be so funny though.

Saw this on pompeyonline -

Not often that I post on here, however, I, like many fans I feel the atmosphere at Fratton this season has been poor. Much is made of the nerring but it seems that not many come up with decent alternatives. I tried this 5/6 years ago which failed miserably but I now notice more and more clubs are indeed using decent old "choons" such as :-

Motherwell - Twist and Shout

Man U - Sweet Caroline

Palace of course - Glad All over.

I reckon if we use Franki Valli - "Cant take my eyes off you" it could really make a difference. I defy anybody not to get carried away by the chorus ! Look forward to anyone with any kind of inspiration for the lyrics. No real massive need to sway from some of the original lyrics either. Of course "I love you Pompey" is a must in there ! Crack on !

So it seems as though the attitude continually prevalent at Pompey even extended as far as the stadium announcer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-34676743

Assume he'll be offering to pay 4p in the pound of that fine...

The utterly spurious logic used by the scammed woman shows you exactly how she got fooled by it:

" "He had a fantastic album full of all sorts of players, all sorts of people, all signed, all with him shaking hands.

"It does make you feel pretty gutted, especially as football's a team game, you don't expect somebody to do that to you."

What the actual fock is the thinking behind the comment in bold making someone less likely to rip you off? For a start neither of the people involved were even in a team together... ohhhh, whatever, what a mental.

Oh dear, they are not going to be the biggest or the best fan-owned club for much longer; they will have no claim to fame at all ...

"Leeds Fans Utd has today reached agreement in principle with Massimo Cellino to purchase a majority stake in Leeds United Football Club."

Many supporters called on Cellino - who took over at Leeds since 2014 - to leave Elland Road after a 2-0 home defeat by Blackburn on Thursday left them 18th in the Championship.

United would be the highest placed English club to be owned by their fans."

They're already not the biggest fan-owned club. They're not fan-owned. Their fans are responsible for fewer than 50% of the shares in the club. That is not ownership.

#NFC... well part from American Football Nation Football Championship, the Saudi National Football League and Nebraska football, I'm sure Notts County come a close fourth if he was intending to tag the opposition.

Of course, spelling to 4 letters appears to be too much for the young skatelet.

And near field communication (e.g. contactless payments and Saints season tickets, f'rinstance).

As if anything like that would ever happen at Portsmouth. They are far too astute to follow a knee-jerk policy like that.

Spot on. This is the first time for many years that they have actually had to live with finite financial resources, and they don't know how. It's pretty plain they're over their budget (my guess is around £20k month) and the bills are mounting now that the season ticket money has gone. I think they now have to submit a "tax clearance certificate" to the FL every month, so they haven't got the option of the Bank of HMRC as working capital this time round. Their monthly tax bill (PAYE, NI & VAT) must be around £75k month.

In previous years they've had unpaid creditors (twice), barrowloads of parachute payments that should have gone to creditors and Tesco money to bail them out. Now they've only got the pockets of their HNW shareholders who must be looking over their shoulders at the chasing pack. I imagine there are a few tasty conversations between McInness and Cook at the moment.

Didn't they just send someone out on loan? At that level that's usually the sign of a club that's overspent and needs to cut back.

Not that it's how they usually respond to overspending - previous experience has shown the typical response is to continue to overspend until the amount owed to others is enough to reduce the HMRC voting rights to less than the amount needed to liquidate.

Would be nice for Pompey to have a little FA cup 'run' to the 3rd round this year, and then to draw them and trash them. Would like to have a real derby again!

Out to a non-league team in round 1 please. More of the same.

Been there done that. Unless it's Eastleigh I want them to draw the likes of Liverpool or United, get all excited and take their eye off the league but then get thrashed.

Actually, going out to Eastleigh or Aldershot would be hilarious (didn't this happen last year?)

They're home to Macclesfield, the draw was last week.

Saw this on pompeyonline -

Not often that I post on here, however, I, like many fans I feel the atmosphere at Fratton this season has been poor. Much is made of the nerring but it seems that not many come up with decent alternatives. I tried this 5/6 years ago which failed miserably but I now notice more and more clubs are indeed using decent old "choons" such as :-

Motherwell - Twist and Shout

Man U - Sweet Caroline

Palace of course - Glad All over.

I reckon if we use Franki Valli - "Cant take my eyes off you" it could really make a difference. I defy anybody not to get carried away by the chorus ! Look forward to anyone with any kind of inspiration for the lyrics. No real massive need to sway from some of the original lyrics either. Of course "I love you Pompey" is a must in there ! Crack on ![/quote

Would surely catch on as they can still use the 'ners' in the build up to the "Ï love you Baby" bit :?

"I love you Pompey" to that tune would sound rather good, to be fair.

Should we sing it? I mean the entertainment they've given us, and the dedication they've shown over keeping it up over the years is close to that off a loved one I feel....

Wait does that mean we have another set of closet admirers down the leagues? :scared:

I agree, it sounds like a lovely song.

Cheerful, upbeat, but with a melody that evokes memories of a happy past, and perhaps a happier future.

Yes, the pompey fans and CB Fry are spot on - I look forward to hearing it ringing out around their lovely old ground.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})