Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I see the former club secretary at Sheffield Wednesday is to be prosecuted over Hillsborough. That, and the recent Grenfell tragedy, is going to hurt the player budgets of skint clubs like Pompey.

Explain please?

Guessing he means the cost of implementing health and safety requirements will go up. Though the government has shown every sign of deregulating anything it can, so I'm not sure that's going to be the case. Also, Portsmouth have previous for not maintaining their ground to the appropriate standard for years on end...

Apportioning criminal liability to individuals, as opposed to vague corporate liability usually resulting from H&S breaches means that the pendulum will definitely swing towards individuals not taking any chances with respect to safety certification or capacity issues and more money will definitely be required, particularly at decrepit buildings like FP. Budgets will be under pressure. They can't afford Fratton Park, it will ruin them.

Deregulation shifts liability, it doesnt make it disappear.

Edited by hutch

Apportioning criminal liability to individuals, as opposed to vague corporate liability usually resulting from H&S breaches means that the pendulum will definitely swing towards individuals not taking any chances with respect to safety certification or capacity issues and more money will definitely be required, particularly at decrepit buildings like FP. Budgets will be under pressure. They can't afford Fratton Park, it will ruin them.

Deregulation shifts liability, it doesnt make it disappear.

That depends on whether the government is making legislation that removes the need to adhere to certain previous legislation or not - the whole Brexit/Great Repeal Bill thing looks like a useful opportunity to change all kinds of EU-mandated regulations and might just mean "you don't have to do that any more" rather than "it's not a company concern".

Eh? The prosecutions are under law that was in existence at the time of the tragedy, nothing to do with Brexit.

If you are referring to Grenfell, my view is that Mr. Jobsworth armed with his clipboard, will be much more aware of the potential consequences of turning a blind eye, and now that the authorities have shown willingness to prosecute individuals, the H&S brigade will tighten up their recommendations and requirements.

All within the existing rules. I doubt that Brexit will make a blind bit of difference.

And if you're referring to deregulation I think a suggestion that Brexit would lead to a dilution of safety provisions at sporting events is pretty creative thinking. Have you ever considered working for an academic think tank?

The great repeal bill will simply remove the automatic superiority of the CJEU over our domestic UK courts that was created by the 1975 Act and require that any new European regulations would need to be approved by our parliament to become effective in the UK. I'm struggling to see how that will affect safety regulations at football grounds.

Guessing he means the cost of implementing health and safety requirements will go up. Though the government has shown every sign of deregulating anything it can, so I'm not sure that's going to be the case. Also, Portsmouth have previous for not maintaining their ground to the appropriate standard for years on end...

Surely as poopey are now about to become owned by a billionaire the cost of repairs/upgrades on their ground is immaterial?

They won't sell Connor, skate through and through apparently, posts pictures of himself kissing the skate badge and calls us

scummahs

No, no, they won't sell him at all.

Eh? The prosecutions are under law that was in existence at the time of the tragedy, nothing to do with Brexit.

If you are referring to Grenfell, my view is that Mr. Jobsworth armed with his clipboard, will be much more aware of the potential consequences of turning a blind eye, and now that the authorities have shown willingness to prosecute individuals, the H&S brigade will tighten up their recommendations and requirements.

All within the existing rules. I doubt that Brexit will make a blind bit of difference.

And if you're referring to deregulation I think a suggestion that Brexit would lead to a dilution of safety provisions at sporting events is pretty creative thinking. Have you ever considered working for an academic think tank?

The great repeal bill will simply remove the automatic superiority of the CJEU over our domestic UK courts that was created by the 1975 Act and require that any new European regulations would need to be approved by our parliament to become effective in the UK. I'm struggling to see how that will affect safety regulations at football grounds.

I was referring to the question posed, which was (hinting) about needing to increase spending on health and safety. Whilst the Repeal Bill ports existing EU laws across to UK law, that process still gives the government the opportunity to dump any EU legislation it doesn't want to keep in the slightly longer term - it has to look at anything referencing an EU institution, for instance, and it's not as if they aren't already considering further reduction in safety requirements: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/22/government-backed-red-tape-group-eu-fire-safety-rules-grenfell-fire . So (assuming of course there's an EU institution currently overseeing this) it's perfectly possible that subsequent ground construction regulation changes will reduce the level of safety clubs will have to meet. They're also showing all the signs of doing this to get out of the pan-European corporation tax regulations, which is indicative of a certain degree of pragmatism about things they've decided aren't needed for the greater good.

The other impact will be the reduced funding of local authorities meaning they don't have the resource to effectively police safety to begin with...

Edited by The9

Surely as poopey are now about to become owned by a billionaire the cost of repairs/upgrades on their ground is immaterial?

Well, as they're only selling out in the first place because they can't afford to maintain it, I think the cost of the repairs is a little bit relevant...

Apparently TCWTB had been banned by the football league for 4 games after some cretinous antics at the Salisbury friendly....

It wasn't some 'unorthodox' watering of the facilities beyond the goal was it?

Ding Dong, Ding Dong, Where's your bell gone?

to be fair they have sold 13 k season tickets.

Cant deny that is a decent performance for league 1 but recollect that Bradford City consistently sold around 18,000 due to competitive pricing.

Wonder how many we would sell if Pompey prices were offered up to our season ticket holders?

Well well well. The 100 or so fans who bought lifetime season tickets when they were in the **** the most recent time (forget which number we're up to these days) have had said season tickets cancelled by Mickey Mouse. Oops :lol:

When did Mickey enter the club house?

Or is it the last act of the community club so Mickey isn't tarnished and too late to reinstate them?

One fan on twitter saying how good it is that the media aren't leaking any of their new signings.

I'm sure SSN will have made it non-stop breaking news though for England's biggest and bestest most historic football club in the entire world.

Well well well. The 100 or so fans who bought lifetime season tickets when they were in the **** the most recent time (forget which number we're up to these days) have had said season tickets cancelled by Mickey Mouse. Oops :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Would be interesting to understand the legalities of that to be honest. If something is purchased as a 'lifetime subscription' then that is exactly what it should be and how it should be honored. I wonder if anyone will challenge it.

Let's be honest, you wouldn't take my fiver and then kick me off after 6 months now, would you...???? :D

They're insisting it's by the current board and nothing to do with the potential new owner. Of course. I mean, it would be totally in the interests of the outgoing board to do this.

Not yet. They have been asked to relinquish them and invited to attend a meeting about it. So it hasn't happened yet.

I know someone that has one, although having moved away doesn't often use it himself. His view was that he had the cash so bought it and in the end "got lucky", very lucky, as they had a number of seasons in the top flight which would have cost miles more than the amount he forked out. I'll ask him for his thoughts on being asked to give it up. I suspect to my face he will shrug his shoulders and say he has had a good run.

I agree, Eisner must be behind this, not the current board. I wonder perhaps if Walter is testing Catlin to see if he can/is willing to do some dirty work before deciding if he will keep him at the club?

Let's be honest, you wouldn't take my fiver and then kick me off after 6 months now, would you...???? :D

Would be nice if he checked his bank account occasionally and gave me access for my fiver. Perhaps he has now, lets press send on this post...

Would be interesting to understand the legalities of that to be honest. If something is purchased as a 'lifetime subscription' then that is exactly what it should be and how it should be honored. I wonder if anyone will challenge it.

On a similar note, my freeserve "lifetime" email account finally got canned at the start of June after freeserve were bought out by wanadoo in the early 2000s, then Orange, mid 2000s, then EE circa 2010. Apparently 19 years now counts as a lifetime...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})