Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Article about stadium development plans:

https://pompeynewsnow.wordpress.com/2015/10/19/fratton-park-stick-or-twist/

A couple of classic comments:

If Fratton Park cannot be Redeveloped to Capacity of at least 40k,I think I think a new Stadium should be built.I remember crowds of 40k.This club has always been undersold,and has a huge catchment area.Don’t forget the record crowd is over 53k. :mcinnes::lol:

We could easily achieve 35k+

If Fratton Park cannot be Redeveloped to Capacity of at least 40k,I think I think a new Stadium should be built.I remember crowds of 40k.This club has always been undersold,and has a huge catchment area.Don’t forget the record crowd is over 53k. :mcinnes::lol:

It's delusion like this that will keep this thread thriving for years to come.

By pompey logic, Saints took 55k to Wembley when in the 3rd division so should have at least a 50k+ seater stadium.

Idiots.

"over 53k" :lol:

Twice they got just over 50k in their golden era (record 51k) but they were mostly 10-15,000 under capacity in their title winning year. And never got near their highest capacity of 60k.

FFS, they mostly couldn't fill 18k 'home' seats the last time they were in the Premier.

Deludedf*ckwitsruleok.

Tbh I rather suspect that their 'huge' catchment area that remains totally untapped comes from an arbitrary line drawn on a map between Southampton and Brighton.

It also comes from the same mindset that thinks the city generates millions every time the team plays, that roughly a fifth more people turned up on Southsea to celebrate the FA cup purchase than actually live in the dump and that the kipper shed is a Premier League standard ground

Tbh I rather suspect that their 'huge' catchment area that remains totally untapped comes from an arbitrary line drawn on a map between Southampton and Brighton.

Saints fans on this forum have shown to be not averse to imaginary line drawings of catchment areas of equal dubiousness.

Presumably their 'catchment area' extends as far as people are happy to be seen wearing one of their shirts. About 5 mile radius of the timber tabernacle?

Having worked down there for 4-5 years I can tell you, you don't see much these days. Occasionally you'll see the odd hat or jacket. Far more of the "big 4" these days.

Presumably their 'catchment area' extends as far as people are happy to be seen wearing one of their shirts. About 5 mile radius of the timber tabernacle?

I haven't seen one in Winchester or since just after I started working there in 2011, let's put it like that. :)

This line is on ESPN

"No matter what TV companies will lead you to believe in the build-up to this weekend's Clasico on the coast, the only genuine south coast derby in the eyes of Saints followers is against arch enemy Portsmouth. An animosity which runs so deep it makes Rangers vs. Celtic look friendly".

This line is on ESPN

"No matter what TV companies will lead you to believe in the build-up to this weekend's Clasico on the coast, the only genuine south coast derby in the eyes of Saints followers is against arch enemy Portsmouth. An animosity which runs so deep it makes Rangers vs. Celtic look friendly".

Which frankly, is a load of rubbish. I don't remember any Saints/Pompey fans getting their throats cut. The added religious element to that derby makes it much more hateful and dangerous.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12602416.Celtic_fan___s_murderer_preparing_for_release_from_jail/

I'm still reminded of the last time we played the skates and BBC South reported about all the violence going on after the match. The video showed two sets of fans safely corralled by the police about 40 yards apart singing songs and shouting at each other. One plastic chair was thrown by a skate which barely made it past the police line.

Then I think about Rangers v Celtic.......

I know the media love to exaggerate but honestly, it's ridiculous how they try to talk things up to be more than they are

I read today 'scum' is a navy term for people who always rise to the top regardless of ability. That seems a much more likely origin than mythical striking dockers. I quite like it too - it suggests seething jealousy and resentment of our success instead of plain vanilla hatred.

I read today 'scum' is a navy term for people who always rise to the top regardless of ability. That seems a much more likely origin than mythical striking dockers. I quite like it too - it suggests seething jealousy and resentment of our success instead of plain vanilla hatred.

it may have been in Nelsons day.

been in 16 years and never ever heard of anyone called that in that regard

in the RN, people from southampton are often known as scummers and HMS Southampton was known as 'The Scummer'....obviously, from Pompey origins

Lets be clear on this

There was no mythical dock strike apart from Pompey Dockers 'Blacklegging' over Cross Channel Ferries in November 1976 when a large party of Soton Dockies blockaded Portsmouth Commercial Docks

The term 'Scum' has supposedly been used by the navy to describe Merchant Seamen but this is very unlikely to have any impact on Pompey supporters using the term to describe Saints fans.

I believe this was a random term of distaste used by one or two Pompey fans and then cascaded out and actually reflects the term used by quite a few clubs towards their rivals

There is some suggestion that it may have started after the death or serious injury of a Pompey fan on Fareham station following an attack by some Saints fans back in the mid 1960's but this is just heresay

it may have been in Nelsons day.

been in 16 years and never ever heard of anyone called that in that regard

in the RN, people from southampton are often known as scummers and HMS Southampton was known as 'The Scummer'....obviously, from Pompey origins

Its mentioned here. Doesnt offer any source but says it was common use in Portsmouth

http://www.2uptop.com/news/Skates-&-Scummers/

Which frankly, is a load of rubbish. I don't remember any Saints/Pompey fans getting their throats cut. The added religious element to that derby makes it much more hateful and dangerous.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12602416.Celtic_fan___s_murderer_preparing_for_release_from_jail/

True, but they are both (until recently) very big and successful clubs, so there probably isn't the intense hatred that comes from one side knowing (deep down) that their club's completely inferior to the other.

Edited by Dark Munster

Oh dear, they are not going to be the biggest or the best fan-owned club for much longer; they will have no claim to fame at all ...

"Leeds Fans Utd has today reached agreement in principle with Massimo Cellino to purchase a majority stake in Leeds United Football Club."

Many supporters called on Cellino - who took over at Leeds since 2014 - to leave Elland Road after a 2-0 home defeat by Blackburn on Thursday left them 18th in the Championship.

United would be the highest placed English club to be owned by their fans."

Oh dear, they are not going to be the biggest or the best fan-owned club for much longer; they will have no claim to fame at all ...

"Leeds Fans Utd has today reached agreement in principle with Massimo Cellino to purchase a majority stake in Leeds United Football Club."

Many supporters called on Cellino - who took over at Leeds since 2014 - to leave Elland Road after a 2-0 home defeat by Blackburn on Thursday left them 18th in the Championship.

United would be the highest placed English club to be owned by their fans."

Leeds have such potential. Good move for them.

The bestest stadium announcer .

"Steven Pearson, 51, a former stadium announcer at Portsmouth FC, claimed items were signed by Sir Alf Ramsay, Peter Shilton, and boxer Muhammad Ali."

Fits right in with the Toyman's announcements that Maradona was going to spearhead their triumphal charge to the top of world football.

#deluded #chancers #conartists

Edited by Waterside.saint
Corrected grammar

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})