Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

No chance. They need two wins with none of the other teams winning to catch that third spot. That ain't happening at this stage of the season. If they don't win the next two and the two teams below them do, they'll be back out of the playoffs - given their performances I would say that this is more likely than them getting up into the automatic spots.

This form table tells an important tale - at this stage of the season they need to be doing better than 10th in form if they want promotion or even a chance at promotion.

http://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england4

I saw it was a draw earlier however it didn't realise it was full of comedy value as well, I imagine there's a fair few p!ssed off skates this evening.

I'd like to see the POL comments when Saints were 2-0 down today. Anybody?

They only mention us when we lose, which these days isn't very often. This thread has longevity because of the subject and the comedy value it regularly provides us. There isn't anything that they can laugh about us, so alas there are no comments.

They only mention us when we lose, which these days isn't very often. This thread has longevity because of the subject and the comedy value it regularly provides us. There isn't anything that they can laugh about us, so alas there are no comments.

Do you mean to say that they aren't obsessed with us?

That's very disappointing.

Given the hilarity I had on Twitter last night during the second half asking all the skates who started crowing at half time how they thought the match was going...... The obsession is alive and well.

Your average skate has a massive chip on its shoulder about the better team in Hampshire. Doesn't take much to get them frothing at the mouth

Could this be the death of the plucky media template?

Cook stopped his players talking to the media after their glorious joint-table-topping point at Mansfield, because he says they talk too much, and the fans agree that there is too much cliched back-slapping.

But will this stop the minnows from bigging themselves up?

I doubt it.

The battling troops will be back at the sold out fortress with a rallying cry sometime soon.

I heard on the news (Sam FM) today that Cook has said that "defender Adam Webster" (or whatever his name is) was "not for sale".

This also brings home to me another of the reasons they're not doing as well as they should. They are terrible at knowing when not to look a gift horse in the mouth. If anyone is any good in L2 and someone offers you money, you should probably sell them, and with a meaty sell-on clause too, because the level is low enough that replacements are ten-a-penny and you'll probably not notice they've gone.

Though maybe that only works for teams with a decent academy or scouting set-up, or at least an effective policy for getting in loanees - you know, teams who can replace players reasonably easy for nothing.

I bet it wasn't that simple a statement!

I suspect it will have been a determined hands-off warning being issued to Premier League teams by the pompey boss, as a raft of Champions' League teams battle for the signature of the next England captain-in-waiting...

I heard on the news (Sam FM) today that Cook has said that "defender Adam Webster" (or whatever his name is) was "not for sale".

This also brings home to me another of the reasons they're not doing as well as they should. They are terrible at knowing when not to look a gift horse in the mouth. If anyone is any good in L2 and someone offers you money, you should probably sell them, and with a meaty sell-on clause too, because the level is low enough that replacements are ten-a-penny and you'll probably not notice they've gone.

Though maybe that only works for teams with a decent academy or scouting set-up, or at least an effective policy for getting in loanees - you know, teams who can replace players reasonably easy for nothing.

Me and my gob... http://www.chichester.co.uk/sport/pompey-latest/ten-facts-about-new-pompey-signing-conor-wilkinson-1-7293073

They've just signed the bloke on loan who failed to score an open goal for Newport against them in Newport's 3-0 win at Fratton (because presumably Bolton wanted a larger loan fee?).

Well, at least they've seen him play for half an hour, even if he was only on County's bench. :D

Me and my gob... http://www.chichester.co.uk/sport/pompey-latest/ten-facts-about-new-pompey-signing-conor-wilkinson-1-7293073

They've just signed the bloke on loan who failed to score an open goal for Newport against them in Newport's 3-0 win at Fratton (because presumably Bolton wanted a larger loan fee?).

Well, at least they've seen him play for half an hour, even if he was only on County's bench. :D

A Barnsley-supporting mate laughed when he heard they'd signed him. "****ing ****" was his assessment :lol:

It's a bit late in the season for that isn't it? Emergency loan? (I'm a little hazy on the rules)

Tbh it seems a little like they are panicking a bit now and trying everything to ensure they at least make the playoffs. Any takers on them having bet everything on going up this season?

It's a bit late in the season for that isn't it? Emergency loan? (I'm a little hazy on the rules)

Tbh it seems a little like they are panicking a bit now and trying everything to ensure they at least make the playoffs. Any takers on them having bet everything on going up this season?

They've bet the whole burger van, jellied eel stall and whelk barrow on it.

Heard some interesting tales about a certain, gruff-voiced, Scouse-accented manager being "politely asked" to leave licensed premises in the Fratton locale after his raucous and red-faced requests for an after-hours extension were also politely refused.

People are genuinely bemused as to how he drives home as he is often incapable of finding his arse with his own hands.

Also, the directors' lounge drinks bill is in, and Champagne Ian and co are doing local offies proud. For the last quarter of 2016 it was £25k.

I see 'Missed Money Penny' is on the side of Brexit... so that's all the thanks her best mate Dave gets for backing her Pompey rescue effort at the taxpayer's expense then...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/655066/Portsmouth-City-Council-votes-Brexit-EU-referendum-Penny-Mordaunt-Ukip

Portsmouth City Council this week voted in favour of urging residents to opt to leave the 28-country bloc on June 23.

Proposed by the Ukip group leader, Colin Galloway, members of the council backed the motion by 21-15.

The motion states the council’s belief that “Portsmouth and indeed all of Britain would be better off outside the EU”.

Conservative MP for Portsmouth North, Penny Mordaunt - who also backs Brexit - hailed the vote by the historic naval city.

She said: "Portsmouth City Council understands the trade opportunities for the city that taking back control and voting leave will bring.

"And as the UK city that exports the most, is home of the surface fleet and as the only local authority that owns a commercial port, Portsmouth knows the dangers of staying in for local jobs and Europe's security."

I see 'Missed Money Penny' is on the side of Brexit... so that's all the thanks her best mate Dave gets for backing her Pompey rescue effort at the taxpayer's expense then...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/655066/Portsmouth-City-Council-votes-Brexit-EU-referendum-Penny-Mordaunt-Ukip

That's bellyflopping wardrobes for you.

Edited by Waterside.saint

All non-transfer window loans are called "emergency" loans, it was how the FL got around UEFA and FIFA's desire to get rid of loans outside transfer windows altogether. The loan window closes this week.

That might also be it for loans as well, they've already had one extension to the loan system and it might be transfer windows only for the FL from next season, which is really going to change things in the lower leagues. They can still sign players from non-league, but the days of picking up a player for a month and seeing if he's worth keeping for the season are gone, as are the days of juggling loans to make a poor team good enough to stay in the league.

A Barnsley-supporting mate laughed when he heard they'd signed him. "****ing ****" was his assessment :lol:

I've never before seen a player with an open goal for a simple stooping header from 5 yards out stand rooted to the spot, thigh the ball up in the air and then shoot straight at a defender who was 10 yards away when he received the ball, that's for sure. He's really one footed, reminds me of Miles Storey, who is now on his 5th loan from Swindon at Inverness.

Heard some interesting tales about a certain, gruff-voiced, Scouse-accented manager being "politely asked" to leave licensed premises in the Fratton locale after his raucous and red-faced requests for an after-hours extension were also politely refused.

People are genuinely bemused as to how he drives home as he is often incapable of finding his arse with his own hands.

Also, the directors' lounge drinks bill is in, and Champagne Ian and co are doing local offies proud. For the last quarter of 2016 it was £25k.

25K! That is quite an effort.

1517976845.jpg

Hmm, I know a police sergeant who works down Portsmouth...

Also, some claims that the said gentleman was banned from entering a local Hotel in the town where he previously managed after ****ing in the lift.

Apparently this was excused, by some, as the result of a medical complaint

So the third placed team are heading towards a total of 82 points with eight games to play. As Pompey have 63 points they need 20 points from eight games or 2.5 points per game to gain automatic promotion. They currently average 1.65 points per game. Are they capable of six wins and two draws from the remaining games? I think not.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})