Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

That was well spotted.

It sounds like a man running out of patience over monies that should have been paid three months ago.

I'm sure local media will pick up on his comment and pursue it...

Allen and the rest of the P*mpey Pravda will do their usual and ignore it. He actually sounds pretty miffed he hasn't got it actually, no need to mention the monies are outstanding.

On TBA they are denying it, don't think anyone has posted the link to the radio show yet (I found it on the TS site in 2 minutes so easy to get hold of). Maybe Mcloughlin is a liar, making it up for his own self serving ego or some other villainy?

Skates once again bouncing cancer charities... This is why I'll never respect them and hold a special hatred for anything skate related for my entire life. By not being put out of business/ keeping that dump of a ground is a kick in the balls to all honest tax payers in this country, not to mention the small businesses in PO and the people that receive help from the hard working charities like St Johns Ambulance and Cancer Research that got done over. Scum.

It is inevitable that they are going to start running out of money if they keep failing to get out of League Two, their business model of signing lower league journeymen and has beens each season is not sustainable.

I wonder how bad things will be if they fail to get promotion again this season?

Here she is in all her glory, your typical Skate foul-mouthed tart:-

https://twitter.com/kora_pfc

What is it with the Skates and foul-mouthed women called Kora supporting them? There was another one called Kora Blagden featured on this very thread, back on page 1820. Or is it the same one? A surname means nothing when your kids might well have different fathers.

Edit: Reading down through the tweets confirms that she is indeed one and the same, as her daughter is Chloe Blagden apparently. What a truly dysfunctional family

Clearly one of skatesmouth's finest.

Classy bint.

Edited by Badger
Photo removed in case anyone of a nervous disposition sees it..

Clearly one of skatesmouth's finest.

Classy bint.

There's a whole discussion here about being the product of upbringing and the society around you. I'll be honest she's not as rough as some of the middle aged sea monsters I've seen staggering up Shirley High Street of a Saturday night. But every city has those really.

I wonder if there is a line to be drawn between the generalised 'lol you're a skate' and specific targeting of an individual. Of course that would also include TWCTB but then I think he sets himself up for it.

Of course I might just be saying this because I think she has nice funbags. I don't know. Whatever. Stop looking at me.

There's a whole discussion here about being the product of upbringing and the society around you. I'll be honest she's not as rough as some of the middle aged sea monsters I've seen staggering up Shirley High Street of a Saturday night. But every city has those really.

I wonder if there is a line to be drawn between the generalised 'lol you're a skate' and specific targeting of an individual. Of course that would also include TWCTB but then I think he sets himself up for it.

Of course I might just be saying this because I think she has nice funbags. I don't know. Whatever. Stop looking at me.

Yours and other posts suggesting that Kora looks very normal, lead me to believe that you didn't look back to the pictures posted of her on page 1820. I apologise for posting one of them up now, but needs must.

2ajrwqg.jpg

Yes, undoubtedly we have our equivalent versions in Southampton, but this is a thread about Pompey and their supporters. They are welcome to reciprocate on their forum if they wish. Is this unfair targeting of an individual? Well, she has apparently been banned from Krap Nottarf for refusing to sit in the stands, even being a "ring leader". It isn't the first time she has hit the media either, so she sets herself up for attention.

Duncan

To add to this, and more recently, Portsmouth Dockers broke a strike back in November 1976, if my memory serves me correct, which involved Brittany Ferries and their proposed use of non unionised labour.

Ironically the Soton Dockers were looking to support colleagues in Plymouth.

Southampton Dockers went en masse to Portsmouth Commercial Docks to show their dissatisfaction and the police were called to protect the Pompey Dockers.

The story made headlines in the Portsmouth News and the Echo.

A few Soton Dockers were arrested including the brother of Sam Charles the ex Saints keeper.

There has been some suggestion that the 'Scummer' taunt originated from around that date and was made up by 'Docker' Hughes and some Pompey FC supporting friends to hide their embarrassment about their behaviour and having to rely on police protection.

I keep meaning to fully research the event in the Echo and News archives but have yet to find the time.

Quite separately I was talking to someone a while ago who reckoned the bad feeling between Soton & Pompey harked back to the days when Portsmouth was actually in the County of Southampton but I think this is yet another myth!!

Did you ever get around to investigating this further? A student from Solent Uni wants to interview me on the causes of the Skates v Scummers hatred and wondered if you had found the time to explore further?

Did you ever get around to investigating this further? A student from Solent Uni wants to interview me on the causes of the Skates v Scummers hatred and wondered if you had found the time to explore further?

There's a pretty informative thread about it here

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/portsmouth/news/16115/great-pompey-myths-debunked--no-1-the-origin-of-scummers/page:1/

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/portsmouth/news/16115/great-pompey-myths-debunked--no-1-the-origin-of-scummers/page:1/

veracity added 15:59 - Feb 22

The earliest recollection I have of the SCUMMERS handle was actually in 1976, just after the Saints won the Cup and pre dates the Thoresen/P&O Ferry move to Pompey in 1983/4 which, to my mind had little to do with the SCUMMER story.

As mentioned in one of the earlier posts Southampton had a very unionised and large Dockers contingent

Portsmouth's commercial port was smaller than it is now but had begun to expand from the Albert Johnson quay area into what is now the Ferry Terminal.

Meanwhile Brittany Ferries (which had been started by French farmers to get their produce to the UK market) had commenced a largely freight only service into Plymouth

The Soton Shop stewards ran a South Coast Dockers Steering Group (all TGWU members) led by Ritchie Pierce which included the ports of Soton, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Poole and Weymouth.

There was an agreement that the fledgling Brittany Ferry service would not move out of Plymouth to Portsmouth, which was not part of the highly unionised National Dock labour Board

The Portsmouth men initially agreed to this then, for some reason, reneged on the agreement and agreed to take the Brittany ship.

To support Plymouth the Soton Dockers picketted the Portsmouth Commercial port towards the end of November 1976

This can be verified by looking in the archives of the Soton Daily Echo and the Pompey News.

So this is fact not conjecture and was fairly high profile news in both papers

The picketing went on for 3-4 days and the police had to be called in to rescue the Pompey Dockers as the Soton men turned up in force.

There were several arrests including the brother of Bob Charles who played in goal for Saints in the 1960's.

As I say the story of strike breaking by the mythical Soton Company of Union Men seems to have started from this time.

I once spoke to a journalist at the Pompey News about this particular event and he reckoned the accusation of strike breaking by Soton Union members was fabricated by a Pompey FC fan by the name of Hughes (who was working in Pompey Docks at the time and was known as 'Docker' Hughes) to overcome the embarrassment of having to call the police for protection against Soton Dockers on 'home soil'

Certainly the facts about the Ppmpey Dockers strike breaking is a matter of public record if anyone wants to research the story

Unlike, of course, the Pompey 'Scummers' story which is pure fantasy and fabrication.

Hopefully someone will have the time to visit the Soton/Pompey libraries where copies of the local papers are kept on mico filche to verify this

As a small addition to this.

Whilst doing some family history research, I discovered an ancestor who was from Holyrood in Southampton, who had a contract to supply Naval vessels with provisions in Portsmouth. This on more than one occasion caused problems due to the 'friction' between the two neighbouring Ports. In one incidence even ending up with an appearance in court.

This was in the early to mid 1600's. So this rivalry between Ports goes back a long, long way.

Duncan,

The background to the Dockers dispute in the commercial docks in Portsmouth can be found in the archives of the Daily Echo on/around the 24th November 1976 and details would undoubtedly be replicated in the Portsmouth News (would be interested to discover their take on the matter).

Some random details taken from microfiche copies of the Echo held in Soton Central Library:

...Ten coachloads of Southampton Dockers turned up outside Portsmouth's Albert Johnson Quay in the biggest show of strength in the week old dispute over the carrying of freight on the St Malo ferry.

The normal picket line of about a dozen men was reinforced to near 800 in an effort to stop lorries using the quay which handles trade with the Channel Islands.

Shop steward Mr Albert Francis (as an aside I think Albie works on the main door at St Marys nowadays so could verify all this if required) said: 'The ports of Southampton, Poole and Weymouth are also closed and we expect Plymouth dockers will be out as well. We want to show that we are no longer prepared to tolerate unregistered ports taking away business from registered ports. All the ferry companies have told us they are interested in using Portsmouth. As long as Portsmouth is unregistered it will always be able to supply cheaper labour'...

Another report quoted John Ashman, Regional Secretary of the Transport Workers Union, who had been told by employers that the development in freight services at Portsmouth could mean loss of jobs at other south coast ports including Weymouth, Poole and particularly Plymouth as well as Southampton where it was considered there was every likelihood that Townsend Thoresen would seek to operate cargo from Portsmouth to France

Echo Headline on 24th November ...'Docks Men and Police in Skirmish' ... As the dust settled from last night's battle of Portsmouth, coaches were again being laid on to take Southampton dockers to the ferry terminal to meet the 'blacked' vessel Armorique when she arrives from St Malo at 7.30pm

As the Southampton dockers moved into position a determined line of 300 police moved across the road leading to the Albert Johnson Quay. There was a clash and some fists flew. There were struggles on the ground. A docker arrested during the disturbance has been charged with using threatening behaviour and will appear at Portsmouth Magistrates on December 15th.

The car belonging to the UK general Manager of Brittany Ferries was surrounded by angry dockers whilst others broke through to the quayside where freight was arriving on the Armorique.

There are reports as the dispute progressed but these are the main items.

So I think the reports in the Echo certainly indicates that the only verifiable 'Dock Strike' involving Southampton and Portsmouth port workers was the one in 1976 (ironically enough just after we won the FA Cup)

It also reinforces the view that Portsmouth dockers broke ranks with their colleagues along the south coast in respect of a joint agreement not to allow shipping lines to play one port off against the other to reduce costs, especially as Portsmouth was not a National Dock Registered port and did not, therefore, have to pay the National Dock Labour Board levy.

I find it absolutely fascinating how a story of so called 'strike breaking' can have been turned round so dramatically to exonerate one party and blame another and, as a consequence, become part of misrepresented folk law.

As an aside the Echo cost 6p at the time and the pound was trading at 1.685 against the dollar!!!

Hope this helps.

Might make an interesting chapter in any of your future publications and certainly the Scummer misinformation needs to be broadcast to a wider audience

Yours and other posts suggesting that Kora looks very normal, lead me to believe that you didn't look back to the pictures posted of her on page 1820. I apologise for posting one of them up now, but needs must.

2ajrwqg.jpg

Yes, undoubtedly we have our equivalent versions in Southampton, but this is a thread about Pompey and their supporters. They are welcome to reciprocate on their forum if they wish. Is this unfair targeting of an individual? Well, she has apparently been banned from Krap Nottarf for refusing to sit in the stands, even being a "ring leader". It isn't the first time she has hit the media either, so she sets herself up for attention.

Think you are giving her a hard time Wes cos that pic actually does something for you.

Duncan,

The background to the Dockers dispute in the commercial docks in Portsmouth can be found in the archives of the Daily Echo on/around the 24th November 1976 and details would undoubtedly be replicated in the Portsmouth News (would be interested to discover their take on the matter).

Some random details taken from microfiche copies of the Echo held in Soton Central Library:

...Ten coachloads of Southampton Dockers turned up outside Portsmouth's Albert Johnson Quay in the biggest show of strength in the week old dispute over the carrying of freight on the St Malo ferry.

The normal picket line of about a dozen men was reinforced to near 800 in an effort to stop lorries using the quay which handles trade with the Channel Islands.

Shop steward Mr Albert Francis (as an aside I think Albie works on the main door at St Marys nowadays so could verify all this if required) said: 'The ports of Southampton, Poole and Weymouth are also closed and we expect Plymouth dockers will be out as well. We want to show that we are no longer prepared to tolerate unregistered ports taking away business from registered ports. All the ferry companies have told us they are interested in using Portsmouth. As long as Portsmouth is unregistered it will always be able to supply cheaper labour'...

Another report quoted John Ashman, Regional Secretary of the Transport Workers Union, who had been told by employers that the development in freight services at Portsmouth could mean loss of jobs at other south coast ports including Weymouth, Poole and particularly Plymouth as well as Southampton where it was considered there was every likelihood that Townsend Thoresen would seek to operate cargo from Portsmouth to France

Echo Headline on 24th November ...'Docks Men and Police in Skirmish' ... As the dust settled from last night's battle of Portsmouth, coaches were again being laid on to take Southampton dockers to the ferry terminal to meet the 'blacked' vessel Armorique when she arrives from St Malo at 7.30pm

As the Southampton dockers moved into position a determined line of 300 police moved across the road leading to the Albert Johnson Quay. There was a clash and some fists flew. There were struggles on the ground. A docker arrested during the disturbance has been charged with using threatening behaviour and will appear at Portsmouth Magistrates on December 15th.

The car belonging to the UK general Manager of Brittany Ferries was surrounded by angry dockers whilst others broke through to the quayside where freight was arriving on the Armorique.

So I think the reports in the Echo certainly indicates that the only verifiable 'Dock Strike' involving Southampton and Portsmouth port workers was the one in 1976 (ironically enough just after we won the FA Cup)

It also reinforces the view that Portsmouth dockers broke ranks with their colleagues along the south coast in respect of a joint agreement not to allow shipping lines to play one port off against the other to reduce costs, especially as Portsmouth was not a National Dock Registered port and did not, therefore, have to pay the National Dock Labour Board levy.

I find it absolutely fascinating how a story of so called 'strike breaking' can have been turned round so dramatically to exonerate one party and blame another and, as a consequence, become part of misrepresented folk law.

As an aside the Echo cost 6p at the time and the pound was trading at 1.685 against the dollar!!!

Hope this helps.

Might make an interesting chapter in any of your future publications and certainly the Scummer misinformation needs to be broadcast to a wider audience

So basically. It all stems from Portsmouth trying to put local and regional companies out of business through not paying for things and taking short cuts (add an "n" in there if you want)... who'd have thought the pikey blue phew would have done such a thing... I mean, its not like they've got a history of punishing local businesses for their own short term gains... dirty club, dirty city, scar on the south coast.

So basically. It all stems from Portsmouth trying to put local and regional companies out of business through not paying for things and taking short cuts (add an "n" in there if you want)... who'd have thought the pikey blue phew would have done such a thing... I mean, its not like they've got a history of punishing local businesses for their own short term gains... dirty club, dirty city, scar on the south coast.

To be fair I don't think it was quite as dramatic as you suggest (interesting take nonetheless)

Certainly the owners of Portsmouth Commercial Docks (I believe it was and remains Portsmouth City Council) were looking to win business away from Southampton and other south coast ports which were not part of the NDLB scheme which, in some respect, you could probably understand.

I think the thing that really irritated the Soton and other South Coast Scheme Registered Dockers was that Pompey Dockers were part of a South Coast co-operative and the Portsmouth men reneged on a prior agreement not to steal trade off one another

On the Ugly Inside site it's been posted that there are rumours coming out of Pompey that Alan Mcloughlin is still waiting for his testimonial money. He even mentioned that the money is due to go to Cancer Charities "when I finally get my monies through" (37minutes 40secs here: http://talksport.com/football/warm-podcast-max-rushden-sunday-october-23-161023214543) on the Max Rushden show on Talksport at the weekend. The game was in July and he's still waiting for it?

I know they bounced some charities in their last admin but no excuse now? Maybe giving away all those season tickets for a fiver a game wasn't the best move now that cash flow has practically stopped? Bang out of order not paying an ex pro money (even more so when he's giving some/ all to charity) 3+ months on IMO.

They're at it again then. No doubt they're in denial about it all though. When will they ever learn.:mcinnes:

As a small addition to this.

Whilst doing some family history research, I discovered an ancestor who was from Holyrood in Southampton, who had a contract to supply Naval vessels with provisions in Portsmouth. This on more than one occasion caused problems due to the 'friction' between the two neighbouring Ports. In one incidence even ending up with an appearance in court.

This was in the early to mid 1600's. So this rivalry between Ports goes back a long, long way.

Fantastic! I would love to know more about our history, great story.

Duncan,

Hope this helps.

What about this from Wikipedia?

The 1890 Southampton Dock strike took place in Southampton, England, September, 1890.

The closing years of the 1880s saw a resurgence of trade unionism amongst merchant seamen, dockers and other unskilled workers. A notable victory was scored by London dockers during the famous London dock strike in 1889, in which the dockers were able to win a rate of 6d, known colloquially as the 'dockers' tanner'. Later that year, a branch of the Dockers' Union was formed in Southampton. In part this was an effort by the union to prevent Southampton men being used to break strikes in London, as had occurred on a limited basis during the 1889 strike. However, as the local branch grew, pressure mounted to improve wages in Southampton itself and to win the dockers' tanner[clarification needed] for Southampton men.

Towards the end of August, the Southampton Dock Company and the various shipping firms agreed to grant wage increases of 1d an hour. However, the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company, which paid lower rates than the other principal firms, refused to bring its rates into line with the other companies. All of the employers, meanwhile, refused to grant official recognition to the Dockers' Union and the National Union of Seamen. Because of these two issues, a strike was declared on 7 September. Unlike the London Dock Strike, the strike in Southampton was marked by a certain amount of public disorder. Blacklegs from Portsmouth arriving at the railway station were attacked and large crowds gathered daily in the streets around the docks and, leading to fears of rioting. In response the Mayor requested assistance from the Home Office.

Duncan,

Hope this helps.

I had uncles and a granddad who worked in the docks and one of them was actually involved in the skirmishes, I saw him on late night Southern news or whatever it was in those days actively involved.

Duncan,

Hope this helps.

Many thanks, very helpful!

Delivered a coaching session yesterday; had a ten year old refuse to play on the same team as a 'scummer'. Strangely the player was wearing a Man City shirt. Worst thing about this, it was ten year old girls football.

I wonder what the average age of a Pompey fan is. Must be getting on. Was in gunwharf last year and saw nobody with a skate shirt but loads with Liverpool, Manchester and London teams.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

Delivered a coaching session yesterday; had a ten year old refuse to play on the same team as a 'scummer'. Strangely the player was wearing a Man City shirt. Worst thing about this, it was ten year old girls football.

How sad, hope it wasn't in my club over Havant way, although I've only had mild banter. What did you do, btw, I'd have been tempted to tell them they could sit the session out?

In all seriousness, how do you manage that in a ten year old? Clearly unacceptable and just making things weird for the other kids.

How sad, hope it wasn't in my club over Havant way, although I've only had mild banter. What did you do, btw, I'd have been tempted to tell them they could sit the session out?

I would say she either plays or stand on the side and watch

No it was an open session.

In a nutshell, spoke to her about discrimination, doesn't matter peoples looks, heights, colour and experiences her and told her that remarks like that could put people off wanting to play football.... I also reminded her that Saints are in a higher league than Pompey and that even Man City couldn't beat us.

No it was an open session.

In a nutshell, spoke to her about discrimination, doesn't matter peoples looks, heights, colour and experiences her and told her that remarks like that could put people off wanting to play football.... I also reminded her that Saints are in a higher league than Pompey and that even Man City couldn't beat us.

I hope you also pointed out to her parents that they shouldn't waste her or your time by sending her to football, and that they should teach her practical skills like how to cook, clean and iron instead.

There's a whole squad of players Pompey let go as not good enough now performing well in the Championship and League 1 and 2. If this seems strange, the News has an explanation. It's not the resultater of chronic mismanagement - ripping up the squad every summer and employing clueless managers incapable of getting the best out of the players, it's because...

Is it the environment of expectation here which hurts them? Is it their inability to handle a club of Pompey’s size?

:mcinnes:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/thriving-fratton-failures-offer-pompey-food-for-thought-1-7647821

There's a whole squad of players Pompey let go as not good enough now performing well in the Championship and League 1 and 2. If this seems strange, the News has an explanation. It's not the resultater of chronic mismanagement - ripping up the squad every summer and employing clueless managers incapable of getting the best out of the players, it's because...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/thriving-fratton-failures-offer-pompey-food-for-thought-1-7647821

The delusion is reaching new heights.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Incredible.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

Is it the environment of expectation here which hurts them? Is it their inability to handle a club of Pompey’s size?

:lol:

Playing-Bingo-89297.gif

I genuinely think that this delusion is a factor in their inability to progress from this level. Every player is fed this tripe, about being a 'massive' club, as soon as they get through the door. Do the players then think they have an entitlement to win, as they are so massive?! Other clubs clearly see them for what they are, a Div 4 club - there on merit. If they faced up to that, then they just might be able to use the factors they have to their advantage in this league, to actually progress.

Their player recruitment and the management of the squad has been appalling for eight years.

I suspect they are still listening to too many agents and for some reason, known only to those dealing directly with the transfers, offering longer and higher paid contracts to journeymen.

The Paul Cook experiment has cost a fortune in League Two terms and today they look no nearer the heady heights of the third tier than they did three years ago.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})