Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Er, is this a new one?

''Chris:

Mr Mitchell went on to criticise another 'sham' he alleged Pompey used to avoid paying tax.

This concerned money paid into players' employment benefit trusts in what he described as 'tax havens'.

He said: 'The Revenue says these are disguised payments of salaries on which PAYE should have been paid.' ''

''chris:

Mr mitchell went on to criticise another 'sham' he alleged pompey used to avoid paying tax.

This concerned money paid into players' employment benefit trusts in what he described as 'tax havens'.

He said: 'the revenue says these are disguised payments of salaries on which paye should have been paid.' ''

wtf!

Sorry to be thick but isn't the purpose of this hearing to challenge the validity of the CVA? I appreciate I have no understanding of such matters but it seems that they are throwing everythingthey can find at the Judge, will he not just sweep this aside as it doesn't apply to the agreement or can further action be taken if needed?

''[Comment From Rob F Rob F : ]

I think it is highly unethical and inconsistent what HMRC are striving to achieve from this case, HMRC accepted a minor % from Crystal Palace in contrast to ourselves. Can they not see that liquidating the club will only be a regressive strategy from future PAYE & NI that HMRC will earn from our club, pathetic ''

But image rights is not purely a merchandise activity. Its about foreign tv money as well.

But the TV money comes in via the PL not direct from foreign TV so as far as the club us concerned it is domestic income.

But image rights is not purely a merchandise activity. Its about foreign tv money as well.

1) Why were Pompey paying significantly more in image rights than everyone else in the Premier League?

2) Are you suggesting the images of Pompey players are worth twice as much as Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea players?

3) Why does your theory of foreign TV money not apply to every other club and rank the clubs of the Premier League in order of their players worth? How come Pompey come out on top?

4) Did Pompey earn more from foreign TV deals than other Premier League clubs? Why was that?

It is sham so Pompey could get players they couldn't otherwise afford.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Sorry to be thick but isn't the purpose of this hearing to challenge the validity of the CVA? I appreciate I have no understanding of such matters but it seems that they are throwing everythingthey can find at the Judge, will he not just sweep this aside as it doesn't apply to the agreement or can further action be taken if needed?

Could it be that Mr. Mitchell is reinforcing HMRC's position that PCFC's tax affairs are "complex" :rolleyes:, and that it wasn't appropriate for the chairman of the CVA vote meeting to arbitrarily fix the amount that he thought was probably about right?

Why were Pompey paying significantly more in image rights than everyone else in the Premier League?

Are you suggesting the images of Pompey players are worth twice as much as Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea players?

Why does your theory of foreign TV money not apply to every other club and rank the clubs of the Premier League in order of their players worth? How come Pompey come out on top?

It is sham so Pompey could get players they couldn't otherwise afford.

so what you're saying is: CHEATS!

Finally, one of my posts got through:

''[Comment From Hayling Jerry Hayling Jerry : ]

The image rights are simple, we paid more than twice the amount than Chelsea, Man U etc. Can anyone genuinely say that the amount we paid is representative to the value of the players overseas? Is Wayne Rooney less marketable in the Far East than, say, Defoe or Nugent? ''

wtf!

This is why HMRC are going after Glasgow Rangers. Set up a trust. Pay money into trust. Trustees then decide to pay player a large amount of dosh - well just because he's a nice guy. I know Celtic were told not to do it (partly because they had Brian Quinn ex Deputy Head of the Bank of England as Chairman). Is this not the reason why Arsenal had to pay a large amount of dosh back to HMRC a few years back

Could it be that Mr. Mitchell is reinforcing HMRC's position that PCFC's tax affairs are "complex" :rolleyes:, and that it wasn't appropriate for the chairman of the CVA vote meeting to arbitrarily fix the amount that he thought was probably about right?

Thanks Hutch

This thread makes much beter reading than the main board at the moment

This is why HMRC are going after Glasgow Rangers. Set up a trust. Pay money into trust. Trustees then decide to pay player a large amount of dosh - well just because he's a nice guy. I know Celtic were told not to do it (partly because they had Brian Quinn ex Deputy Head of the Bank of England as Chairman). Is this not the reason why Arsenal had to pay a large amount of dosh back to HMRC a few years back

Well I never.

The EBT thing had a ruling about six months ago in a case involving an ordinary company, but it set a precedent. HMRC were ****ed off that companies were setting up these Trusts which just so happened to pay/loan money to high earning executives who then said it was not taxable as it didn't come directly from their employer and was 'given' to them by a third party. Trust would be set up in a no Tax island. Again the issue was also like image rights in that HMRC got the feeling that companies were starting to rip the arse out of it and pay more and more of their money through these trusts. Glasgow Rangers have a nightmare on their hands if EBTs are brought up again and Pompey done for it. Their exposure is in the tens of millions potentially.

I'm another one of the thick ones on here. But is HMRC saying that bsides the image rights there is also this Trust thingey. Allowing for both (or either) it will put HMRC over the 25% ?

The answer is we don't know. I believe HMRC said that taking the image rights into account they are owed 30M. I don't think that figure included anything to do with these trusts. Maybe that is where the extra 4M to take them up to the 34M they claimed at the CVA comes from? Assuming nothing else changes 30M would not be over 25%.

insightful reporting from the news as ever. Really keeping us up to date with the courtroom cut and thrust

oi - this court case is for our benefit not yours - you'll be fed what scraps are on offer - we'll take the juicy bit thanks, HMRC 1 Pompey 0 - coming up ! :D

The answer is we don't know. I believe HMRC said that taking the image rights into account they are owed 30M. I don't think that figure included anything to do with these trusts. Maybe that is where the extra 4M to take them up to the 34M they claimed at the CVA comes from? Assuming nothing else changes 30M would not be over 25%.

Don't forget Mitchell's opening statement:

This appeal is not about precise figures, it's about principle.

Try looking at it from the other angle, too much emphasise is being put on the 'HMRC' debt. Ask where did all the new Poopey debt come from, since the SofA was submitted by Poopey at their last appearence.

Seriously having lived in Scotland I can tell you I can understand how the Old Firm can have big image right payments to make. Both Clubs easily have as big a world wide support as all but maybe three or four of the premiership clubs. The question for me is always around residency. If you are a UK resident you have to pay tax on global earnings not just UK earnings. The only way I can see this working is if you set up an off-shore company the monies are paid to a company not an individual. If the company holds the money they players would not pay tax as individuals. When their careers finish they then become non-resident and take the cash hence they are taxed under local laws, not UK laws. Can understand how that works with foreign players but not the likes of Sol Campbell. Even offshore companies though are subject to with holding taxes. There is play around wrtiing off of expenses but seriously I cannot see this being significantly profitable to make it worth while

Question for the legal bods on here that know more about it. Is it likely that after all this introductions we will have witnesses called, etc. Hoping that AA will be given the chance to see if he can fit both feet in his mouth!

Try looking at it from the other angle, too much emphasise is being put on the 'HMRC' debt. Ask where did all the new Poopey debt come from, since the SofA was submitted by Poopey at their last appearence.

Patience grasshopper! 48 hours to go yet LOL

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})