Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Cute, I'm sure the fact that this would cost more then the stadium they believe we couldn't afford when in the Premier League, and that that they would have to do it on League 2 income is simply not a hindering factor.

But they need a Championship ground to go with their Championship floodlights!

I love the notes to each section. Makes it sound so easy doesn't it? [rhetorical]

Christ on a bike look at some of the FB comments on one of their pages regarding the ground expansion. Seems their biggest motivation is to have a bigger ground than us and they think they can fill it because we can fill ours.

A museum because they have "So much history". Yes, they have a history (like every club) but no more than Huddersfield Town & Wanderers.

At least Chris gets it though. They're not all utterly deluded.

d355dfe63ce11dd26381001173954132.jpg5cbc5dbe96bab2924ad3ee073e7608dc.jpg5202473db0aca200f7abcc3b0db0296e.jpg

Can't wait to see some of the exhibits in the Pompey museum...

A replica of the FA Cup which they 'won' with a team they couldn't afford. A plaque listing all the business and charities that got fleeced. A mock up of the hospital that could have been built with the money withheld from HMRC. The Norris goal on repeat to highlight the season that Southampton got promoted to the Premier League and Pompey got relegated to League 1.

I'm sure there are many other events in their glorious history that they'll want to highlight rather than sweep under the carpet...

Any suggestions fellow nutjobs?

I see Crab Lungs has already highlighted it, but that isn't even Bally's quote. I was there the day he trotted it out, and he never made any reference to the Great War. I do recall that when he said it, most of the journos present either rolled their eyes or s******ed because Bally was given to making such statements (remember how he "would have walked over broken glass" for the Saints job) but he was good copy.

Thus, another misty, nebulous half-truth is gathered up, turned around, mis-used and then encased in concrete as hard fact.

As for the stadium plans. won't expansion of the north stand involve the loss of some of the hallowed car park?

Those parking spaces, so preciously won by the brave men of Portsmouth in the Great War with Tesco.

No doubt, the museum will include a memorial to them.

A skate just sent this. He genuinely thinks it's going to happen, bless him.

f71ddc71ba5924d51b070e282345bbfe.jpg

Who on earth would lend them the ten of millions of pounds to build such a redevelopment? They aren't exactly blessed with a good credit rating having failed as a company multiple times in the past 20 years.

Effectively Pompey have done this with the Tesco deal...

04232007001_77292888.jpg

Edited by Matthew Le God

Most disappointed with that design, no underwater aspect, no mention of the World Cup final, no sign of Pele or Zidane. :(

But it does looks like a master plan that is reliant on building on some land they don't own, Tesco raising no objections, the reintroduction of terracing in the Premier League and three promotions.

I guess the budget for all of that will be maybe £150m?

With only approx £100k of matchday income last weekend, it's time to bring out the BIG buckets!

The fan-owned business model works in the non-league, it is flawed if you want to spend big.

They should just enjoy beating people like Dagenham, Morecambe and Fleetwood, but there does seem to be an obsession with keeping up with the neighbours.

Sadly for them, all of their neighbours are doing quite nicely but they are living in a landlocked leaky caravan on bricks while talking a lot about building a mansion when they win the lottery.

That plan is just raising the hopes of the toothless, a rallying cry for the little simple people - the same ones who lapped up the Harbourdome and thought the club would really spend a billion pounds on the compulsory purchase of an area of seafront and part of the dockyard before building on the sea so that Diego Maradona could use the Gosport Ferry to get to the World Cup arena...

It sounds like I made that up - but I didn't.

Reality check needed again.

Is he aware Tesco maybe a bit annoyed if Pompey knock down their shop and start building on their land? Plus who on earth would lend them the ten of millions of pounds to build such a redevelopment? They aren't exactly blessed with a good credit rating having failed as a company multiple times in the past 20 years.

Effectively Pompey have done this with the Tesco deal...

Plans don't show that though... Tesco is the building to the left (is that the Fratton End?). The tens of millions of pounds is probably the main obstacle!

Also, I don't think the architect has considered how the championship standard floodlights would be incorporated? Would be a bit of an oversight to not include the single biggest investment they've made in the place for the last decade.

I think that the plan is to use their glorious history to finance the deal.

If they were to place a 2 farthing bet on retaining the FA Cup for 6 years in 1939, the odds that they would get, plus inflation could pay for the Milton Road end at least. All they would need is enough money for a 2nd hand Delorian and some plutonium.

I think he's just hoping that a couple of free sketches and being on the board of PST is an acceptable alternative to talent and experience when Pompey come to select the Architect for their new arena.

After all the old jobs for the boys routine worked out well for Micah Hall didn't it.

Derby County ‏@dcfcofficial

Clement: "The aim and objective is simple, we want to win and get through. @officialpompey have great support - just like ourselves"

Woah there! What on Earth are you thinking of Clement? No-one's support is as good as Pompey's. No-one's.

Just seen this post by our old friend Corporate Ho over on POL

But as they'd tell you everything on there is "fact". it's all true. None of it is wrong. Last time I looked a few weeks back we were overspending and about to go into administration again, there was some major bad news that was going to come out at the back end of July about us (bet that's never been mentioned again) we have cash flow problems because we'd sold so many ST's and had spent all the money up front (direct debit is something that's seemingly never reached scum land) and on and on and on. Who knew there were that many unmarried mid - forties men living at home with their mums in scum

It's interesting how Corp Ho terms everything on here as 'fact'.

Maybe it's just me but what I see is us quoting what the skates are saying or doing (with regular gems from Allen) and then largely taking the mickey out of their delusion and utter disconnect from reality.

As for those stadium plans........

Perhaps they should worry about getting out of league two first and then ACTUALLY selling out the kipper shed (rather than claiming that they do at the moment with the aid of portsmythmatics

I am a 52 year old married bloke earning a decent wedge and living a reasonably comfortable life in Australia. The TV out here is so bad though, so I have been greatly enjoying spending time on here laughing long and loud at the pathetic shambles that the Skates have become It's surprising there's not more Skates out here really, thousands of Skates left Portsmouth for Australia, and most of them never went back. Was a while ago now though.

"We've nearly got new floodlights.

And we've nearly got new disabled facilities.

And we've nearly got new kiosks.

And we've nearly got new corporate facilities."

And we're nearly going to get promoted,

And we're nearly as big as Southampton.

I like the way in plan 4, the pitch suddenly gets bigger - well, it's claimed that it will get bigger, although what the plan really shows is that it is moved so close to the tunnel that the lino will definitely fall into the abyss every time he runs near the half way line. There's not even enough room for a ballboy on that side of the pitch.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about the floodlights as I've heard on good authority - corpse might even call it a FACT - that the only reason they haven't installed the much trumpeted championship standard floodlights yet is because the plans are being drawn up for PREMIERSHIP standard floodlights....

I like the way in plan 4, the pitch suddenly gets bigger - well, it's claimed that it will get bigger, although what the plan really shows is that it is moved so close to the tunnel that the lino will definitely fall into the abyss every time he runs near the half way line.

I have it on good authority that the lino will be issued with new equipment to cover this eventuality...

Scuba-Diving-Equipment.jpg

BXNV4EkIEAA8JSk.jpg:large

I like the way in plan 4, the pitch suddenly gets bigger - well, it's claimed that it will get bigger, although what the plan really shows is that it is moved so close to the tunnel that the lino will definitely fall into the abyss every time he runs near the half way line. There's not even enough room for a ballboy on that side of the pitch.

That bit actually makes sense - (I know this is all pie-in-the-sky and ridiculous, but..) when the North Stand lower is demolished, the rebuild is a few yards nearer the car park, opening up space for the pitch to move northwards - the existing north end of the Fratton stand is then no longer aligned to the edge of the pitch, and the redeveloped Milton (away) End adds half a section to the already-rebuild Milton End fill the gap and also the curve to meet the new north stand. I'm assuming they will also be removing the massive floodlight which currently sits in that corner, which is probably easiest done by dropping it on the pitch rather than all the nearby terraced house gardens.

There are two things about this for me ASIDE from them not being able to afford any of it:

1) All that part-rebuilding is massively expensive, probably over and above the cost of actually building an entirely new stadium.

2) Their "32000" stadium only holds 32000 for League One and League Two (when they will never actually get 32,000 anyway) because it incorporates safe standing in the Milton End which wouldn't be allowed in the Championship or Premier League and they'd have to convert those to seats, losing approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of the capacity of that stand.

Ooh, and for the record, I'm a 42-year old bloke who lives with his wife, though quite what Corp's problem is with people wanting to look after their elderly parents, or even just wanting to live on their own, who knows?

Oh, and judging by the "16500" to "20000" rebuilding of the Milton to Safe Standing, it holds 3500 when completed (which is weird, because the ground is SUPPOSED to hold about 20,000 without the rebuild and is currently all seated anyway).

So either that capacity is the all-seated capacity (in which case why mention Safe Standing but not the enhanced standing capacity) or it's now 3500 safe standers compared to 3500 seated, which sort of removes any benefit to putting the standing in.

As for the 21000 in Phase 2 becoming 21000 without the lower North stand in Phase 3, I assume the idea would be to build the Milton/North corner extension to up the capacity of that bit before losing the North lower - even so, there are a LOT more seats in the North lower than that new corner piece could accommodate, there's also the question of whether they'd be allowed to use the North stand when there was a new structure in development behind (but a bit above and presumably a bit overhanging).

Anyway, they have no money and no reason to do this, there are not 20,000 never mind 32,000 people interested in lower league football in Portsmouth.

Oh, and judging by the "16500" to "20000" rebuilding of the Milton to Safe Standing, it holds 3500 when completed (which is weird, because the ground is SUPPOSED to hold about 20,000 without the rebuild and is currently all seated anyway).

As far as I can tell, the Milton rebuild isn't adding any seats, just a rebuild to add a proper covered concourse underneath the stand.

Anyway, they have no money and no reason to do this, there are not 20,000 never mind 32,000 people interested in lower league football in Portsmouth.

And not forgetting the ever present empty blue seats and taking off visiting supporters, there were never 20,000 skates interested in Premier League football a few years back.

As far as I can tell, the Milton rebuild isn't adding any seats, just a rebuild to add a proper covered concourse underneath the stand.

That's what I assumed too, that'll be fun trying to stop it falling into the lane behind the ground - but if they're rebuilding for safe standing that would actually reduce the number of seats, wouldn't it? They take up more room than conventional seats as you have two "terrace" steps (one with a seat space, albeit tipped up and one access/standing step) rather than a seat with little passing room in front all on one level.

Safe_standing_area_fitted_with_rail_seats.jpg

Rather than:

Portsmouth-Football-Club-2.jpg

This also gives a nice shot of the floodlight I mentioned. :D

Edited by The9

A build-from-scratch stand offers them the opportunity to build the back of the stand over the top of the alleyway behind, so I don't see that being a particular problem - the existing stand is basically the old terrace with seats bolted on, so it's much shallower.

Also, one of the benefits of safe standing is the shallower sight lines allowed - which wouldn't have any benefit at Fratton because the stand is crammed in in front of the lane, they'd probably have to build the stand higher to get the seats in - local residents will love that (though let's face it, they live next to Fratton Park already, they're not picky).

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})