Havant 45

Lee 7

Stubbington 20

Waterlooville 64

Horndean 47

Denmead 6

Emsworth 19

TOTAL 526

So allowing for areas not included and assuming the likes of Locksheath and Whitely are 50/50, there is not too much difference between the two catchment areas

However it is noticeable that Portsmouth is the most crowded city in the UK with 5,100 people per sq kilometre which is 20 times higher than the UK average

I suppose this explains, to some degree, the aggressiveness and inter breeding traits!!

There were 15553 at Fratton for their massive promotional 6 pointer with Bristol Rovers on Saturday. Sounds reasonable but 2795 were away fans, leaving less than 12000 of the bestest rattling around inside the stadium.

I did think my figure was low but it was taken from some official stats. Maybe the person that collated them only had 4 fingers to count with.

Seems you should count your own fingers

:o

Based on 2011 comparative conurbation population is approx. as follows

Southampton 254

Eastleigh 79

Bishopstoke 20

Bursledon 7

Hedge End 25

Botley 3

Ashurst 3

Otterborne 3

Fawley 14

Hamble 5

Kings Worthy 5

Marchwood 6

Netley 6

N Baddesley 7

Romsey 16

Winchester 46

Hythe 20

TOTAL 519

Portsmouth 205

Gosport 71

Fareham 42

Havant 45

Lee 7

Stubbington 20

Waterlooville 64

Horndean 47

Denmead 6

Emsworth 19

TOTAL 526

So allowing for areas not included and assuming the likes of Locksheath and Whitely are 50/50, there is not too much difference between the two catchment areas

However it is noticeable that Portsmouth is the most crowded city in the UK with 5,100 people per sq kilometre which is 20 times higher than the UK average

I suppose this explains, to some degree, the aggressiveness and inter breeding traits!!

Interesting, but that has some big omissions. New Forest DC is 174,000 incl Totton, Eastleigh DC is 126,000. Add Winchester and Salisbury at 45,000, about 30% of Test Valley DC at 33,000 plus Fareham DC probably split 50:50 - Park Gate and Locks Heath are definitely more Saints then the numbers look more like 675,000 Saints 500,000 Pompey (Pompey City, Fareham BC, Gosport DC and Havant DC). That is an order of magnitude that fits with our bigger attendances in league 1.

Edited by buctootim

He means Michael Andrews.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/140698.stm

Very sad for all concerned, of course, but a pretty lame attempt at an insult to 'rival' football fans.

Talking of mayors, this must have killed them.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11701189.Swapping_shirts__Mayor_of_Bournemouth_dons_new_Cherries_shirt_after_fan_spots_him_in_Southampton_colours/

Anyway, back on topic, are plucky little p*mpey still joint top?

Based on 2011 comparative conurbation population is approx. as follows

Southampton 254

Eastleigh 79

Bishopstoke 20

Bursledon 7

Hedge End 25

Botley 3

Ashurst 3

Otterborne 3

Fawley 14

Hamble 5

Kings Worthy 5

Marchwood 6

Netley 6

N Baddesley 7

Romsey 16

Winchester 46

Hythe 20

TOTAL 519

Portsmouth 205

Gosport 71

Fareham 42

Havant 45

Lee 7

Stubbington 20

Waterlooville 64

Horndean 47

Denmead 6

Emsworth 19

TOTAL 526

People in Fareham may often prefer Saints though, easier commute etc.

They'll reach the play-offs I expect but I'm personally hoping for an agonising semi-final defeat, preferably on penalties. I would like to deny them the opportunity to play at their 'second home' Wembley.

I can imagine the bilge that Allen & co will spew out if/when they end up in a Wembley playoff final. It would give rise to a worldwide facepalm shortage, that's for sure

They are joint top but the table shows Northampton as leaders - but only on points difference.

:lol:

Some massive games coming up in the promotion race for those in the Football League's "Bottom Feeders" Division over the next two games.

Northampton v Wycombe and Oxford v Accrington this weekend...

followed by a 'mouthwatering' Tuesday night, that sees such massive clashes as:

Accrington v Notts County

Exeter v Oxford

Yeovil v Plymouth

The skate c*nts are away to the mighty Yeovil on Saturday, and face a tough examination away at Barnet on Tuesday eve.

Failure to take at least 4 points from these games if other results go against them, could see the bestest most massivist world famousiest dozy giant club ever to exist (about six or seven different times under various versions of the name) fall significantly behind the top three. Good thing that no matter what happens, they'll still be joint top. That must come as a huge relief to their gigantic worldwide fanbase.

Good to see the last few pages enjoying a nice reminiscing of some of the golden eras and colourful characters involved in the Saga over the years. In that vein, whilst it is not currently Christmas, here's a reminder of some of the epic fun we've had together, laughing our asses off at the collective calamity that is P*rtsmyth FC -- or whatever they're currently trading as this time. It's been a few years since I first shared it, hopefully it will be fresh for some of our newer arrivals, but worth another chuckle nonetheless... ;)

8prW9.jpg

:lol:

Good to see the last few pages enjoying a nice reminiscing of some of the golden eras and colourful characters involved in the Saga over the years. In that vein, whilst it is not currently Christmas, here's a reminder of some of the epic fun we've had together, laughing our asses off at the collective calamity that is P*rtsmyth FC -- or whatever they're currently trading as this time. It's been a few years since I first shared it, hopefully it will be fresh for some of our newer arrivals, but worth another chuckle nonetheless... ;)

8prW9.jpg

Excellent, one of the finest pieces on this thread without any doubt. Thanks for bringing her back in to play, it really brings back the memories and reminds you what a wild ride it has been watching the skates rolling circus.

PMSL

Nice to see that again.

So many criminals, so many unpaid debts, so much delusion - all under one rickety roof!

Who would have thought that getting in bed with loan sharks, the actual mafia :scared:, and people who kill children for a living, could lead to League Two?

I blame the FA.

I have spent a lot of time in fareham and see a fair few Pompey shirts around the place. Rarely seen a saints one

I'm often in the Fareham and Gosport areas on business too. Whereas they are both Navy towns, so that their natural allegiance stems from that connection, the number of Skate shirts that I see has decreased quite a bit. When they were in the Premier League and we were in the third division, there were Skate shirts visible in Hedge End Sainsburys and the Windover Tesco and even the odd few at Asda Chandlers Ford. Those have all disappeared. But the club shirts are just worn by particular types of individual anyway and the numbers are just a small indication of support. I suspect that other than shirt numbers, there has been a big decrease of support from plastic fans for them and a large increase of our plastic support in their areas. The scope for derision from wearing the shirt of a fourth division club outside of your own city is great, so it takes a pretty solid or thick-skinned fan to risk it; thick being the operative word when it comes to their lot.

I work in and around Portsmouth on the road. Fareham is definitely more blue. But that's central. As you'd expect, west Fareham is more red. I'm in Petersfield today and have seen 2 SFC car stickers. But generally it's more Pompey here too.

They do have a decent catchment area to be fair. Fareham, Gosport, up to Petersfield and down to Chichester. As well as the IOW. Be that as it may, floating fans and kids from outside the boundaries seem to avoid them now. The longer they bumble around in the footballing doldrums, the more their fan base will dwindle. Shame.

I'm often in the Fareham and Gosport areas on business too. Whereas they are both Navy towns, so that their natural allegiance stems from that connection, the number of Skate shirts that I see has decreased quite a bit. When they were in the Premier League and we were in the third division, there were Skate shirts visible in Hedge End Sainsburys and the Windover Tesco and even the odd few at Asda Chandlers Ford. Those have all disappeared. But the club shirts are just worn by particular types of individual anyway and the numbers are just a small indication of support. I suspect that other than shirt numbers, there has been a big decrease of support from plastic fans for them and a large increase of our plastic support in their areas. The scope for derision from wearing the shirt of a fourth division club outside of your own city is great, so it takes a pretty solid or thick-skinned fan to risk it; thick being the operative word when it comes to their lot.

I've had no flack whatsoever wearing my Newport County shirt in Hedge End (train station on matchdays when County were away somewhere remote). :D

Mentioned this before on the thread, but I started working in Winchester in 2010 and at that point there was maybe one Skate shirt a fortnight putting in an appearance around the city.

I've seen more Saints PLAYERS than Skate shirts in Winchester since they got relegated from the Premier League.

I attended an event in Gosport recently where the compere asked the crowd how many of them supported pompey.

Out of 60 kids, not a single hand went up - tumbleweed drifted past.

The decline in pompey shirts worn in Fareham and Gosport is significant, the fun of Division Four is wearing thin.

Your children will wear our shirt....

I attended an event in Gosport recently where the compere asked the crowd how many of them supported pompey.

Out of 60 kids, not a single hand went up - tumbleweed drifted past.

The decline in pompey shirts worn in Fareham and Gosport is significant, the fun of Division Four is wearing thin.

Your children will wear our shirt....

What a beautiful moment...:-)

Over on POL, they are not bitter at all that Bristol Rovers have wealthy owners, not bitter at all...

cough cough "Money Laundering" cough cough

Makes you wonder why people don't look at us

we'd grill every bit of any sale contract, every decision, every loan or invested money. Small clubs will just roll over and let it happen. Rovers will end up going bust within 3 years.

This won't end well....

what could possibly go wrong ?

Hubble, bubble, toil and very bad trouble

Why do we not get lucky?

And anyone who dares suggest that the PST is not the best option for the club is getting slapped down :lol:

Over on POL, they are not bitter at all that Bristol Rovers have wealthy owners, not bitter at all...

And anyone who dares suggest that the PST is not the best option for the club is getting slapped down :lol:

I'd missed that news.

This is precisely what this thread needs. A fourth tier Southern club rising like a Phoenix through the divisions, maybe in the Championship in the next five years playing in a brand new stadium.

The fact that it is the club where Rickie Lambert made his name makes it even sweeter. Come on The Gas!

Ive just watched the interview with Bristol's new owner. Its an astute purchase by him and he seems to have a well grounded plan. Bristol havent done much in the past but its a big city with few sizeable rivals nearby. I wouldnt be surprised to see them in the PL within 10 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35612200

good luck to them

a new ground bigger and better than fratton lol

'It makes you wonder why people don't look at us'

Well actually it's pretty obvious to everyone but your average skate.

Small fanbase a significant proportion of which are incredibly hostile to.... Well anyone with the normal number of appendages

No infrastructure

No academy

A wreck of a stadium, with no real opportunity for redevelopment at the current location

Only the insane would consider that shambles a viable option when looking to buy into English football

In my humble unscientific opinion the border of support is Dimmocks Corner, which is effectively the border between Titchfield Common and Locks Heath on the Hunts Pond Road.

I used to work in Titchfield (Segensworth Road) and that was more Skate than Saints in the 2002-5 period when the clubs were as near as they could be to on an even footing.

Or this Classic chestnut for their, probable play off!!!

531221_264970923586174_100002198064655_587838_2126647590_n.jpg

That's a blast from the past but call me a bitter ol' scuuummmmaaaaahhhh! I prefered my one

dwe1b5.jpg

Very entertaining reading back through those pages, lots of posters that no longer post on Saints Web and I see it's 4 years ago next month that ol' Rosey, the dolly-fiddler, had a hissy fit and stormed off never to return. Well, other than popping back most days to have a read.

And another 'blast' from the past, best it's looked in years.

nottarfkrap.jpg

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})