Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

FFS, hurry up FF. Or some loser nut job is going to steal your thunder!

Edit: To make up for the above sin, this has to appear in the 100,000 post. From this epic thread's founding father, Fitzhugh Fella.

In recognition of going past the 100,000 posts milestone, I have done a little research into one of the enduring myths as to why Southampton people are known as scummers. According to our fishy friends it is all to do with a strike being held in Portsmouth which was broken by casual labourers from Southampton. I could find no references to this myth but did uncover a story which sort of puts the boot on the other foot. Ladies and Gentlemen (and Nutjobs) I give you the true story of the 1890 Southampton Dock Strike.

Portsmouth’s involvement in the 1890 Southampton Dock Strike.

In 1890, emboldened by the London Dock labourers’ success of the previous year when they won the “Dockers tanner” (sixpence an hour), and by news of similar increases gained at Portsmouth and Plymouth, the Southampton dockers formed a union and decided to strike for more pay, shorter hours and recognition of the union.

They were duly offered five pence per hour for day work and sixpence for night work but were denied recognition for their union.

The men subsequently downed tools at midnight of the 7th of September and assembled in a crowd outside the dock gates, completely blocking Canute Rd and access to and from the docks.

On the 9th the strikers were joined by many seamen as well as “town roughs” according to contemporary sources and all work now came to a standstill. The police made repeated charges but were unable to clear the road whereupon the mayor – James Bishop – applied for troops and 280 men of the Yorkshire Light Infantry were sent over from PORTSMOUTH. The Riot Act was read by Bishop after which the troops attempted to push the crowd away with the butts of their rifles and later with fixed bayonets, but were met with volleys of stones, one of which struck the mayor.

There were calls for the troops to open fire but the mayor stayed calm and instead ordered the fire brigade to use hoses and a small area was cleared enough for the troops to occupy a passageway.

Some of the mob took revenge by rushing up to East St and demolished the mayor’s boot-and-shoe shop, while others went the next day to his house in Grosvenor Square where the troops stationed outside to protect it threatened to open fire.

Meanwhile some strikers had now gained access to the Docks from Southampton Water and the shipping companies appealed to the Admiralty who then sent two gunboats and a torpedo boat from PORTSMOUTH. The stand off came to an end when the shipping companies revised their offer which the strikers accepted “for the time being”.

Several of the rioters were given three months imprisonment, while others were fined or bound over. The mayor meanwhile was given a unanimous vote of thanks by his fellow magistrates but the strain of the dispute brought on congestion of the brain from which he did not recover for some months, after which he removed himself and his business to……yes, you’ve guessed it, PORTSMOUTH!

Edited by Dark Munster

Premier League, while we were in League One on -10;

League Two and losing against non-league opposition, while we're 2nd in the Premier League.

All in 100,000 posts

So, are they officially the worst team in Hampshire now? :lol:

Edited by Jimmy_D

POL tonight... :lol:

FFs. This is embarrassing. And now you decide to stick on some strikers you stupid **** Awford. I'm afraid I have just moved into the Awford out camp now.

I don't expect much from this miserable squad. But surely it's not asking much to NOT regress and to see off a non-league side, even at the second attempt? Awford now entering the danger zone of his continuing tenure.

That Molesley looks a decent player though - we could do worse than signing him up in the window.

time for the board to state that although we are debt free - we have no money for decent buys and this is the best we can afford for now - and also remind the fans we are lucky to have a club

A new low (we keep finding 'em!)

Glad I can't watch it. I'm struggling to see a way out of this - not sure what the fook Awford is doing with team selection.

There is no spirit in this team at all and it is devoid of any quality.There is genuinely something wrong in the set up.Easy to blame the manager,but this malaise has bee going on for years now.

There are players in every Conference team that could improve us! Aldershot are far from being one of the better Conference teams!

Awford has reduced this great club and it's great club to a new nadir. Make no mistake, we wil recover and we rebuild. But it will be without the dreadfully bad personnel on the field at present nor it appears the clueless ones in the dugout.

last time I looked at the laws of the game, being broke doesn't prevent you making attacking subs earlier than the 80th minute.

I have a season ticket but am taking my 2 year old daughter out this Saturday. Fxxk travelling to Pompey to watch this disgrace and missing out on spending time with her. Disgusted.

There's no silver lining, no excuses, no way of dressing anything up here... we've been out played by a mediocre conference team ..... TWICE

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

What team in the south of England can we sink lower than next?

Mourinho is good, but he can't turn water into wine. Or our players into .... players.

That is just totally disgusting.

The players are a complete joke, absolutely gutless.

Avoiding relegation to the Conference will be classed as success for this bunch of hopeless turds

There's only one decision for the board in the morning!

Rock and a hard place. Replacing Awford would make fan ownership a complete laughing stock.

Keeping him a real big risk.

I'd hate to be on the board. Owned by the fans, for the fans, trying to please and appease the fans. It don't add up!

Don't think we are in too much danger of actually dropping out of the league so I would keep our powder dry for now, but we should be looking for a replacement. Sean O'Driscoll for me with the longer term plan to move him upstairs and oversee all football operations.

Time to shut down PFC to prevent more years of total embarrassment. A supporter- owned club will always struggle in the FL

PoMpey are always at their best when their backs are against the wall.. last season any ex legend could've kept them up with the reinvigorated support they received.

How come they (a team of part-timers) look physically stronger and quicker than we did as the game went on?

We faded so badly and had nothing but a hoof left in us. Do we employ a fitness coach?

I'll tell you now, McInnes looked distraught, he's fired from the hip before and showed he's not scared and I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it again.

It's just embarrassing. Either the players aren't doing what he tells them or they don't trust what he's telling them. Either way, unless there's unbelievable progress over the next two or three games that has to be it. Adios Awfs. And sadly, we all know there's not going to be any improvement. It ain't gonna happen.

Then the board have to finally a point the right man. No sentiment. No ex - Pompey. An experienced, proven manager with a decent track record of success who can start to take us forward. No excuses.

It has to stop

The transformation in fortunes over the course of this thread has been biblical. A complete and utter pleasure, with tremendous value added by this thread. Thanks to everyone, especially RallyBoy and FF. The fact that the change in fortunes also represents natural justice leaves me torn as to whether it's Darwinian, or there really is a God. Either way you wouldn't want to be a Skate right now. Sha la la la la, WTFILN.

This little rib tickler caught my eye on Pompey messageboard.....

A.S Kate **** posted - "As a fan I'm sick to death at still being punished for the misdemeanors of 'fit and proper persons' who took this Club to the financial precipice. This team is the result of Football League sanctions, a team that nobody else wanted, that can't score, can't tackle and have the overall speed of a tortoise. Aldershot cut us to ribbons at times tonight fighting for everything whilst we stood and watched. Not fit to wear the shirt and have our support"

Nice to know that your best memories are a few wins against Pompey. Funnily enough, my best memory is winning the cup (in living memory I might add).

Although whenever I hear Amarillo it always cheers me up

Altogether - sha la la la la la la la :D

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})