Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

48th out of 92

Portsmouth (Fratton Park)

In five words or less: The bells, the bells…

Most recent visit: 2007/08

Best feature: John Westwood’s bell-ringing in the home end did create an atmosphere, even if it got a bit incessant

Worst feature: Most of the ground shows its age – although at least the away end has a roof these days

Quirk factor: 4/5

27. Southampton (St Mary’s)

Very basic design – all four stands are the same

In five words or less: Identikit

Most recent visit: 2016/17

Best feature: Enclosed, which aids the atmosphere

Worst feature: Very basic design. All four stands are the same

Quirk factor: 1/5

Newport were ranked 91/92 :lol:

Coventry last

first...WBA

48th out of 92

Portsmouth (Fratton Park)

In five words or less: The bells, the bells…

Most recent visit: 2007/08

Best feature: John Westwood’s bell-ringing in the home end did create an atmosphere, even if it got a bit incessant

Worst feature: Most of the ground shows its age – although at least the away end has a roof these days

Quirk factor: 4/5

27. Southampton (St Mary’s)

Very basic design – all four stands are the same

In five words or less: Identikit

Most recent visit: 2016/17

Best feature: Enclosed, which aids the atmosphere

Worst feature: Very basic design. All four stands are the same

Quirk factor: 1/5

Newport were ranked 91/92 :lol:

Coventry last

first...WBA

That's the article FourFourTwo are sharing on Facebook then. I only got as far as number 92 and saw West Brom were top.

Newport's fan experience leaves a fair bit to be desired. They have the multiple wonders of a temporary away end (which Plymouth broke at Xmas just by being football supporters on it), a large space behind both goals, a truly terrible Archibald Leitch stand that you can't see anything from with zero legroom, an incredibly piecemeal looking stadium generally where only about 50% of the seats are even alongside the pitch, and a capacity that's at least twice and arguably 4 times larger than the crowds they actually get. Also, loads of their fans are proper thicko nobheads (present company excepted) who consistently sing about sheepsh agging and enjoy shadenfreude WAY too much, and it rains all the bloody time.

Anyway, I'm going to see them against Yeovil on Friday. :D

Meanwhile, the Skates will be trying to swipe 2nd from Plymouth (it's a sell-out, unlike their last two home games). As long as they don't win the division (they won't) or get to Wembley (probably missing the play-offs this time) I don't really care where they finish. Can't say the same about Newport, coming 22nd will be a ferking miracle this season and I'll be celebrating for weeks.

dont worry going up in 3rd will be seen as the greatest triumph since Hilary and Tensing climbed Everest. Your journalist at the News will portray the event as a day of national importance. Penny will ask for it to made a National Holiday

AaJ9jjFxQvaJdc6VkOK56AsEVuaqad7k9sjwV2kwyH1r9uvtBZ0mmDjQNuxEfflobGiMlUlbYQX2Ofw9s5j3194D9-N0Z_llqY1yF77yA4F3jhQet0-UbmyZuE7BWtXtOgNr1h32A-rPhZyNU1_r3xzCmnSIwnp995oMPPEal8v9y0ddEfWm1RMyahI1UBbFc5xobGlz3o4DZH_Z25IBVHUkscOK_zZLb7NeQhGgJxKrayWoMN58GHoGJh9-trU_tTAVONm9jOT_ce9tanAD-KXxkgq_CzUVSGdc7UdcehhU3AzFJH_CMotzE0BiUn8d1Ej4YJgXqmTwEb7K255cKVYoDBjywOSuhZRT7VxHiXfwxT-ex8PbcxDnrk0ejdDgMacW2aqzy7S_jM1n-6xiR3Fw2hql7kCfuX0wevFckBfdoqHS2QPBoDaE3WgxpWv1oBKybPir84FQKAuaZKxLVveuz_NH-l866qsomY94N0ooBYGY3XZg_dvHGNrdSbSOupNNR0xqkaUQh5lHMn1DBFcPOKUOtEBxAHELm9ZptuEnn_yC9BCNY9TQW4YQ1Osp8_6UaO0e2Ds7FGL8tsErzRmjJgeJRFnHpT9TmViIzIBAHgiZytd7QA=w640-h284-no

Vintage Neil Allen "special" grammar and semantic mangling in this article:

Now the prospective owner was delivering his ambitions from the setting of a midtown Manhattan hotel.

Negotiations continue for a deal which would see the club taken out of hands of Pompey fans and delivered to Michael Eisner.

There was also a commitment to remain at Fratton Park and carry out vital safety work. Yet stopped short of ratifying intentions to build new stands. A fascinating first encounter – but Eisner’s big interview will be that he carries out with Pompey’s shareholders.

Vintage Neil Allen "special" grammar and semantic mangling in this article:

Allen: "Eisner opted to deliver his first interview on his continued interest through an exclusive with The News. The 75-year-old didn’t care to communicate to supporters through national newspaper or international channels. He had no interest in impressing a world-wide audience."

That's because Pompey is a tinpot club and no-one else is interested, you buffoon. :mcinnes:

giphy.gif

Allen: "Eisner opted to deliver his first interview on his continued interest through an exclusive with The News. The 75-year-old didn’t care to communicate to supporters through national newspaper or international channels. He had no interest in impressing a world-wide audience."

That's because Pompey is a tinpot club and no-one else is interested, you buffoon. :mcinnes:

giphy.gif

Well quite, and the brown-nosing is out of this world. Allen seems impressed at Eisner's ability to hold down a conversation for a whole hour without stopping - hardly forensic journalism.

Why are they using a picture of him that is at least 20 years old?

Probably best that they use a picture of him from before the discord in the Disney boardroom, reportedly due to his control freakery. I'm sure there's a sleuth journo from The News researching into that as we speak...

sand.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/feb/15/citynews.business

For a mouse with a reputation for a bad temper and sharp tongue, Disney head Michael Eisner displayed a surprisingly meek side to the shareholders in Florida last week. As the company, which he has run for two decades, faced a $64 billion hostile takeover bid by the American cable company Comcast, and his own position as chairman and CEO came under unprecedented attack, barely a squeak was heard from him.

Eisner is known as a master tactician and for taking things very personally. Having seen off many foes, the 61 year-old is vulnerable and whatever counter-attack he launches now, he will be lucky to survive a fight that is sure to focus attention on his management style.

Within hours of Comcast's surprise bid for the company last Wednesday, the focus was not on the cable giant's suitability to run a multi-media giant, or on Disney's performance, but on the fact that the launching of a hostile bid at all showed up Eisner's weakness.

Critics of his management are legion. They argue that the problems he now faces are mostly of his own making. The company saw lower visitor numbers at its Anaheim, Orlando and Paris theme parks after the terrorism attacks of 11 September 2001, and a recession-induced slump in advertising. But that, they say, barely contends with Disney's false moves over the past decade under Eisner.

Well-known as a control freak, to the extent that he selects the furnishings in every new Disney hotel, Eisner regards himself as more than just a steward of Walt Disney's genius. The battle to displace him, via any media predator - or shareholder move led by Walt Disney's nephew, Roy - will be hard-fought.

Since becoming CEO and chairman in 1984, Eisner has consolidated his power to the degree that he has the aura of a proprietor, though he is not one, and neither is Disney the product of his singular vision. But he sits atop the House of Mouse like a latter-day Citizen Kane, isolated in his authority.

Eisner's tenure at Disney saw initial success; the moribund giant was turned around with the animated hits of The Lion King , The Little Mermaid , and Aladdin . Disney became a franchising colossus, opening stores in hundreds of malls. In the first 13 years of his tenure, Disney stock grew by 27 per cent a year, and the firm's market value increased from $2 billion to a peak of $90 billion in 2000. Eisner did well: during the 1990s he cashed in more than $750 million worth of stock options.

But in the past decade Disney has struggled to perform, either creatively or in terms of shareholder value. In many instances, Eisner's projects cost the company dear. In 1995, Disney acquired the ABC TV network for $19 billion. But the merger never bore fruit. The firm sank $1.6 billion into the internet portal Go.com without success, and, in 2001, paid $5.2 billion for the Fox Family Channel, which then fell in the ratings.

Eisner does not like to delegate authority. He has resisted grooming a successor and driven away talented executives. He has indulged a taste for publicly fighting with subordinates, board members and important Disney partners, such as Apple's Steve Jobs, whose Pixar animation has been responsible for more than half of Disney's profits in recent years, with hits like Toy Story and Finding Nemo .

Criticism of Eisner's micro-management style comes from all corners. Former lieutenants such as Katzenberg and Ovitz sued Disney for more than $100 million each after falling out with him. 'People get tired of being second-guessed and beaten down,' a former studio executive said.

Earlier this month, when the deal between Pixar and Disney fell apart, Jobs said he would not negotiate with Disney while Eisner was still there. Harvey Weinstein, head of Disney-owned Miramax Films, has said that if Eisner let Miramax go, 'that might be a cause for celebration in all quarters, ours included'. One of the architects of the Comcast bid, Stephen Burke, once ran the ABC network; he also launched the Disney stores and restarted EuroDisney after its poor start. In 1998 he moved to Comcast - after clashing with Eisner.

In defence, Eisner told Fortune : 'I've never had a problem with anybody who was truly talented. This autonomy crap? That means you're off working alone. If you want autonomy, be a poet.'

By far the most damaging incident was the feud with Roy Disney. Last year, the nephew of the founder resigned from the board, and accused Eisner of draining life from a once-great company. In an open letter, he accused him of squandering the Disney name by creating a perception that it was 'rapacious, soulless and always looking for the quick buck'.

Sounds like Eisner and Portsmouth Community Football Club were made for each other...

popcornparty.gif

Edited by trousers

Probably best that they use a picture of him from before the discord in the Disney boardroom, reportedly due to his control freakery. I'm sure there's a sleuth journo from The News researching into that as we speak...

sand.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/feb/15/citynews.business

Sounds like Eisner and Portsmouth Community Football Club were made for each other...

popcornparty.gif

And so it begins....... (again) !

:):):)

Can anyone explain to me why Eisner is interested? There are much better clubs in terms of catchment area, and revenue potential. Very odd buy this.

The fan owned club, best support in the universe, sleeping giant, Maaaaasive potential, putting club back where it belongs, impressive facilties, the history, the profesionalism of the chairman (hic), Westwood....

Have i missed anything..... Rallyboy ?

The fan owned club, best support in the universe, sleeping giant, Maaaaasive potential, putting club back where it belongs, impressive facilties, the history, the profesionalism of the chairman (hic), Westwood....

Have i missed anything..... Rallyboy ?

Bestest, pluckiest and now the 'quirkiest' (a new one every week!) !

The only reason would be that his football knowledge only extends to the Premier League of recent years, so has heard of Pompey but not of any of the many other 'sleeping giant' clubs elsewhere in the lower tiers that would appear to be better buys.

Can anyone explain to me why Eisner is interested? There are much better clubs in terms of catchment area, and revenue potential. Very odd buy this.

He heard that they were a Mickey Mouse Club playing in a Mickey Mouse League in a Mickey Mouse Stadium ... what's not to like.

Is it possible to lease a building [for 30 years], then assume that you can knock it down to make the car park bigger?

I doubt it as the landlord will get a reduced rent if it should be land only and that assumes he would agree. I wonder if it is a full repairing lease too.

Price.

That's about it...

Cheap to buy but will need a hell of a lot of investment in the stadium, training ground and squad - and then even with all that investment the catchment area isnt big enough to support a solid PL team. They are more natural top half of Championship with occasional lucky forays into the PL. It only makes sense to make mega millions investment in a club if you thought it could compete sustainably where the real cash is, in the top league.

Cheap to buy but will need a hell of a lot of investment in the stadium, training ground and squad - and then even with all that investment the catchment area isnt big enough to support a solid PL team. They are more natural top half of Championship with occasional lucky forays into the PL. It only makes sense to make mega millions investment in a club if you thought it could compete sustainably where the real cash is, in the top league.

To be fair, I think Bournemouth have proved that you don't need to have massive crowds to stay in the prem. The amount of TV money given out every year far exceeds the income from gate receipts.

To be fair, I think Bournemouth have proved that you don't need to have massive crowds to stay in the prem. The amount of TV money given out every year far exceeds the income from gate receipts.

Lets see where Bournemouth are in five years. Look at the table from a few years ago . Where are Watford, Bolton, Blackburn, Charlton, Ipswich, Wigan, Reading, Hull etc now?

Agree the PL tv money is most important in terms of paying the bills but level of support is important too - not just for gate income, but merchandising and for attracting players.

Lets see where Bournemouth are in five years. Look at the table from a few years ago . Where are Watford, Bolton, Blackburn, Charlton, Ipswich, Wigan, Reading, Hull etc now?

Agree the PL tv money is most important in terms of paying the bills but level of support is important too - not just for gate income, but merchandising and for attracting players.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they are still in the Premier League !

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they are still in the Premier League !

I had a brain fart :blush::lol: My (obvious) point is though that the smaller you are the harder it is to stay in the PL. You will spend more time outside the PL if you only sell 18,000 tickets on a Saturday than if you sell 60,000. The best Pompey can hope for is the Championship with occasional forays into the PL, and on that basis it seems to me there are better clubs to buy, given the amount of investment they need.

As a small aside, this does look like being a good season for the south coast.

Saints will finish top half, got to Wembley and only just fell short in Europe.

Bournemouth will survive.

Brighton are on the verge of promotion, giving us six Premier south coast "sort-of derbies" next season.

That establishes the big three, with Plymouth, P*mpey and Exeter (who can still be promoted) as the improving also-rans. Hopefully next season's League 1 derbies will put the Phishy Phew firmly in their glorious sixth-best-on-the-south-coast place.

Before they go into admin again. Happy days ahead, methinks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})