Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Angry_Ray‏

@angry_ray1971

Now #Pompey finally taken over we can overtake that scum lot #saintsfc & get our spot as number 1 on south coast #pup **** off scum

Where's trousers with his laughing gif...

Sometimes they're so stupid it behoves us not to laugh..

Angry_Ray‏

@angry_ray1971

Now #Pompey finally taken over we can overtake that scum lot #saintsfc & get our spot as number 1 on south coast #pup **** off scum

Where's trousers with his laughing gif...

The scary bit is that going by the Twitter name he is 46 years of age. The schools must be really bad in E Hants.

If there is a god, PLEASE let us draw them in one of the cups this season.

12 years and counting without a win against them (although for them it's 7 years since they last beat us)

I'm not bothered about playing them, I'd rather swap it for some decent midfielders if out so-called DoF pulls his finger out.

Great news for Pompey and for the region as a whole. I wish them the best of luck. Whatever our loyalties, we should all agree that the fans saved their club, as did our own Leon Crouch. He is the only reason for Southampton's continued existence as a business when he put his own money into the club, "out of the goodness of his own heart". I hope the Pompey fans, that put money up are not forgotten, like Leon Crouch has been. Liebherr and Eisner will make a fortune out of their investment, but the Pompey fans and Leon Crouch won't. Profit wasn't their motivation.

On another topic, I have an additional link, that Michael Eisner has to Portsmouth. So, for those that are interested, here goes:

In the Spring of 1813, Captain James Lawrence was appointed to command the“super frigate”, USS Chesapeake. The 31 year old Lawrence had already been successful, capturing the British sloop, HMS Peacock, while in command of USS Hornet. He joined Chesapeake in Boston, where she was undergoing refit. On 31st May 1813, Captain Broke had a squadron of ships off Boston harbour where he observed USS Chesapeake lying at anchor. For Broke, time was short because he had limited supplies of food and water aboard, so he sent a message to Lawrence inviting him out to sea for a ship-to-ship duel. Lawrence observed what he considered to be an inferior war ship lying off the coast and immediately sailed to meet HMS Shannon near Cape Ann.

The engagement occurred on 1st June 1813 and was the fiercest and bloodiest engagement of its kind that the Royal Navy ever undertook, even though the action lasted a mere 12 minutes. By deft manoeuvre and highly effective gunnery, Broke was able to bring HMS Shannon along side USS Chesapeake and effect a boarding, during which both sides suffered heavy casualties. Captain Lawrence of USS Chesapeake received a mortal wound during the action, and Captain Broke suffered a wound that all but cost him his life. The First Lieutenants of both ships were killed in the fight. Despite the shortness of the engagement, the battle resulted in more casualties than in any other single-ship action in the history of both navies. USS Chesapeake was taken as prize by HMS Shannon and sailed to Halifax where she undertook repairs sufficient to enable her to be sailed to England. In 1819 the ship was broken up in Portsmouth and the timbers were advertised in the Hampshire Chronicle for £3670, many being bought by Mr Prior, miller of Wickham, to build a new mill, the Chesapeake Mill. The mill was to some extent designed around the ship, the overall dimensions of the building being limited by the maximum length of the available deck beams from the frigate. The timbers are of American white oak, rather than the English oak used by the Royal Navy of the time. Great deck beams support each floor of the mill. Ship’s timbers were also employed to frame the windows and doors. The planks that covered the ship’s frames and ribs, and the ceiling planks were also employed in the building of the mill.

Captain James Lawrence is a national hero in the US and many places are named after him. One, is Lawrence Township in New Jersey. In 1816, the town was renamed in his honour and a school, Lawrenceville School, a very expensive and exclusive prep school was founded. Michael Eisner went to this school.

I found it interesting, anyway...

Captain Broke offering Captain Lawrence out, by letter:

The challenge - "As the Chesapeake appears now ready for sea, I request you will do me the favour to meet the Shannon with her, ship to ship, to try the fortune of our respective flags.

My strength - The Shannon mounts 24 guns upon her broadside, and one light boatgun, 18-pounders upon her main deck, and 32-pound carronades on her quarter-deck and forecastle, and is manned with a complement of 300 men and boys, besides 30 seamen, boys, and passengers, who were taken out of recaptured vessels lately".

Noble motives - "I entreat you, sir, not to imagine that I am urged by mere personal vanity to the wish of meeting the Chesapeake; or that I depend only upon your personal ambition for your acceding to this invitation. We have both nobler motives.

Backhanded compliment - You will feel it as a compliment if I say, that the result of our meeting may be the most grateful service I can render to my country; and I doubt not that you, equally confident of success, will feel convinced, that it is only by repeated triumphs in even combats that your little navy can now hope to console your country for the loss of that trade it can no longer protect.

My weakness - Favour me with a speedy reply. We are short of provision and water, and cannot stay long here."

An example of the best that the Royal Navy had to offer. Hard as nails....

P o r.....t s m..... o u t h fc......mickey mouse!....donald duck? Mickey mouse!!!!.... ( you gotta know the tune to make it work)

Think Pompey may be running out to that catch ditty ...'Its a small world'....

i am sure there are some appropriate words someone can dream up for this wonderfully irritating tune.

Nike Air Max - check (black for smartness, big day after all).

Alan Partridge Sports Jacket - check.

Camo-slack-pants - youbetcha!

Finished off with the timeless Gents classic combo of shirt, tie and baseball cap.

Let's go get me some franchise!

This absolute gem from Catlin "They have bought into a club which has prided itself on sustainable growth and that is exactly the same path they are now going to follow"

To be fair, the current football club playing at Fratton Park (est. 2012) have been relatively financially prudent compared to the previous basket case of a football club that played there.

Not another ref who found the game was too big for him! :scared:

Or is it Kenny Jackett who can't cope with managing a big club?

Either way it'll be something about being the biggestest club - or some other old nonesense.

Just had a look at POL (over the summer they accepted my membership request, kept it quiet for a few months in case they banned me straight away), a few people blaming the fact that they only have a 'mid-table budget'

Some sensible ones derided the person who made that comment, but generally speaking, most fans want more signings.

Just had a look at POL (over the summer they accepted my membership request, kept it quiet for a few months in case they banned me straight away), a few people blaming the fact that they only have a 'mid-table budget'

Some sensible ones derided the person who made that comment, but generally speaking, most fans want more signings.

Oh dear there will now be a witchhunt looking for you!

You have given them a major clue that you have joined in the last couple of months, so that will bring their hunt down to 1 or 2

Despite reaching the heady heights of Division 3, I see their video production levels are still as tinpot as ever... http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/watch-kenny-jackett-press-conference-1-8102125

And shouldn't they be changing that picture in the background to say "theirs" rather than "ours"...?

I think they're just going to put up a big "Y" to the left of the stand. Probably easier.

Oh dear there will now be a witchhunt looking for you!

You have given them a major clue that you have joined in the last couple of months, so that will bring their hunt down to 1 or 2

I better be quick then!

There's a new thread, titled 'Eisner Strategy Thread'

The general consensus is they want significant investment in the training ground and academy, as well as developing FP.

Most of them want promotion to the Championship within 5 years.

One fan suggests copying the 'Brighton model' - they have it all apparently.

Another wants heavy investment in the first team - 'we have a billionaire tho'.

I ain't interested in having a better stadium than scum I want a better team than scum

would sooner beat them in a **** ole than lose to them in a mini Wembley. Spend your money on the players Eisner

Most fans though are against this type of reckless spending:

Did the last decade at Portsmouth FC genuinely teach you nothing? Did it just pass you by? No lessons learnt whatsoever? Astounding.

If you’ve run up the debt on players then you have nothing left, apart from a dilapidated stadium.

If you’ve built a shiny stadium then you’ve got an infrastructure that someone can buy on the cheap. Why do you think Liebherr bought the scummers? Because he got St Mary’s and Marchwood for relatively peanuts.

That was the difference between us and the scummers in our insolvencies - rescue the scummers and you got a stadium and something to build on. Rescue us and you just got a shell of a club in a dilapidated stadium - only fans would be mad enough to take that on.

So in summary: it seems that the majority advocate a sensible approach and one which invests in infrastructure first rather than players. Which is rather boring for us, I was hoping for Corporate Ho to come back and lord us with tales of Maradona and Riquelme :(

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})