Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Amazed Portsmouth has a 'University'. Must be new, because it wasn't there in the Nineties. Clearly no locals are ever going to go there as they are all thick and ignorant, and I can't believe anyone would choose to live amongst the toothless apes to attend.

Er, yes it was there in the 90's.... '91 I think it gained 'university' status - along with countless other polytechnics.

Someone mentioned on POL that one possible motivation for this sponsorship deal is that the university is interested in purchasing the Roko training ground...

Really? Did they say why the Poly wants to buy Roko (which is not owned by the Skates, they just have a multi year lease)? The Poly is selling off the Langstone campus (but keeping the sports grounds open), which is a trek from the rest of the city centre campus, so I would have thought it's unlikely to acquire the Roko site, as that is even further away, located in Copnor.

Really? Did they say why the Poly wants to buy Roko (which is not owned by the Skates, they just have a multi year lease)? The Poly is selling off the Langstone campus (but keeping the sports grounds open), which is a trek from the rest of the city centre campus, so I would have thought it's unlikely to acquire the Roko site, as that is even further away, located in Copnor.

It was only speculation, but one aspect of the deal is based apparently on the University's interest in acquiring property of some sort, nobody is quite sure what that exactly means.

Amazed Portsmouth has a 'University'. Must be new, because it wasn't there in the Nineties. Clearly no locals are ever going to go there as they are all thick and ignorant, and I can't believe anyone would choose to live amongst the toothless apes to attend.

The student bit of Portsmouth is quite nice actually, but it does help that it's populated by outsiders. As soon as you go towards the opposite side of Commercial Road, you see the real side of Portsmouth, and it is not pleasant.

It was only speculation, but one aspect of the deal is based apparently on the University's interest in acquiring property of some sort, nobody is quite sure what that exactly means.

The Lagstone Campus is `prime real estate' right by the water. If they wanted land or to be part of a property deal then they have it right there already, but they are selling that. I'd be surprised iff the uni was interested in buying the Roko site.

The sponsorship is not unusual. Hull University sponsored the Tigers for many years when they were in the lower leagues and there have been others. Having a successful team puts a city on the map and can help bring students to the city. The skates previous success and the increase in student population at Pompey went hand in hand. However, I'm surprised the University has chosen to overlook the fact the previous incarnation screwed the Portsmouth student union over for almost three grand. Different owners but still, I'd of thought they'd give them a wide berth.

Probably so the can send the players to maths class.

Ok. So if we have 0 goals and the other team has 2 goals and it’s the 84th minute. Assuming a 90 minute game, how many goals per minute will you need to score to win the game?

I think this may well be a simultaneous equation. Your goalkeeper scores an own goal within the same period (or at least presents the ball to an opposition boot). So you're being unfair, it's quite complicated really. Like trying to work out whether Saints will stay up. :-(

I see they've decided not to go with an U23s side this year as they can't afford it.

This is what is wrong with football in this country. I appreciate the nature of this thread and the mocking of our rivals, but for a third tier professional football club to have to close their U23's side due to cost, has to be detrimental for the development of young players in England.

What does it cost to run an U23's team? 100k, 250k, 500k? The premier league money ought to fund each and every 92 league club's youth development programs.

It might be Portsmouth and reason to poke fun, but it actually saddens me. All the more so when players are resorting to LinkedIn to try to get their next contract (and presumably pay cheque).

This is what is wrong with football in this country. I appreciate the nature of this thread and the mocking of our rivals' date=' but for a third tier professional football club to have to close their U23's side due to cost, has to be detrimental for the development of young players in England.[/quote']

Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things in English football? If you are too old for Pompey's under 18 team and not good enough for their first team and require an under 23 team for games then you are unlikely to ever make much of an impact on English football.

What does it cost to run an U23's team? 100k' date=' 250k, 500k? The premier league money ought to fund each and every 92 league club's youth development programs.[/quote']

I don't really see why Saints and the 19 other Premier League clubs should prop up the business of lower league clubs. In how many other industries does that happen?

If Pompey really wanted an under 23 team they could find the money by reallocating it from other areas, but decided not to.

Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things in English football?

Yes it does. Many young players only become great after going out on loan and getting game time. how many 18 year olds can command a regular place in a top 10 PL side? Harry Kane went out on loan four times. David Beckham was sent out to Preston.

I don't really see why Saints and the 19 other Premier League clubs should prop up the business of lower league clubs. In how many other industries does that happen?

the whole PL is propped up by television companies. And why? because its a high quality league. and for that you need a steady supply of match ready talent.

Yes it does. Many young players only become great after going out on loan and getting game time. how many 18 year olds can command a regular place in a top 10 PL side? Harry Kane went out on loan four times. David Beckham was sent out to Preston.

We were talking about the youngsters in a 3rd tier side, not a Premier League team like where both of your examples were from. When Kane and Beckham were 19 years old they would already be at a level where they could play 3rd tier football, they wouldn't have needed an under 23 team to get games. If Kane and Beckham were 19 and at Pompey, they'd be star players in the first team.

the whole PL is propped up by television companies. And why? because its a high quality league. and for that you need a steady supply of match ready talent.

Why does that mean businesses in the top flight should subsidise those in the 3rd tier. As I asked before... in what other industries does that happen? Pompey should fund themselves, I'm sure they could reallocate money from elsewhere if they were really concerned with youth development. They choose not to!

Also if Pompey had a high quality 19 or 20 year old that might one day be good enough for the PL and England national team then he would already be in Pompey's first team squad in the 3rd tier. He would not need under 23 football.

Edited by Matthew Le God

This is what is wrong with football in this country. I appreciate the nature of this thread and the mocking of our rivals, but for a third tier professional football club to have to close their U23's side due to cost, has to be detrimental for the development of young players in England.

What does it cost to run an U23's team? 100k, 250k, 500k? The premier league money ought to fund each and every 92 league club's youth development programs.

Whilst I agree to a certain degree, surely there has to be some means testing in there somewhere? This latest football club playing at Fratton Park supposedly have an owner with a few bob in the bank...

Fecking deckchair sheeeeitehouses.

Only staying up because three teams were worse than them. Simple as that.

They won't have that luxury next season. A gambling Chinese man betting their tv money away on staying up. It'll explode in their faces soon enough.

Just as we rise up to reclaim our throne..

So the scummers are going to drag out their demise over a few seasons like Aston Villa did.

They're already doggedly following the Villa template; selling their best players every year and replacing them with cheap young players from the continent. The owners will pocket what they can and ignore the danger signs....

When they do eventually drop we'll hopefully be waiting for them in the Championship or passing them on the way up.

Tadic, Betrand and anyone else half decent will probably be off this summer. Now let's not dwell on tonight's game too much. Let's leave the bitter, obsessive and insecure ravings to the pony fiddlers. After all, they're much better at that sort of thing than us.

Some entertainment for everyone to peruse...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Skates only didn't go up because there were at least six teams better than them.

Not wanting to split hairs, but actually seven teams better than them :-)

Still to finish eighth in the third tier is a splendid result for our plucky neighbours. Eisner must be thrilled to see his investment doing so well.

Skates only didn't go up because there were at least six teams better than them.

Hang on, I distinctly heard one of their fans say they didn't want to go up this year. After all isn't real football in Division three or was that Fourth Division that they have recently 'decided' to get out of?

Hearing if they don't get promotion next season all sorts of financial problems ahead. Shock.

How come? Eisner hasn’t been throwing money around on players and they are supposedly debt free? Their stadium is like something that would appear in a 1970s public information film where someone has a gruesome accident but they’d need to accumulate funds to sort those over time, or soft loans from Eisner?

It was there in 1992.

I played football against them for Southampton University in 1992 as it happens, just after they and every other Poly changed their name following the Further and Higher Education Act of 1992, which had the effect of blending crap Polys and good universities into the same pot, and merged UCCA and PCAS admissions to form UCAS.

We lost, FWIW. :mcinnes:

How come? Eisner hasn’t been throwing money around on players and they are supposedly debt free? Their stadium is like something that would appear in a 1970s public information film where someone has a gruesome accident but they’d need to accumulate funds to sort those over time, or soft loans from Eisner?

Last year they had to find £5m just to pass the safety inspection, and they also signed Brett Pitman from the league above, who won't have come cheap.

As we said when they were all being delighted to own Fratton, the cost of maintaining and replacing all the fally-down bits will be one big albatross that will weigh them down.

Same old same old.

Some entertainment for everyone to peruse...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jesus so much guff in that quote - Villa were obviously going down for 3 seasons before they did, and we've only been a bit crap for one after 3 of the best seasons in our history.

He then says "when we drop they'll hopefully be in the Championship waiting for us". So seeing as that's not next season, he's assuming (again) their promotion and our relegation in the forthcoming season, even though we haven't finished this low since 2012 and they haven't finished anywhere even in the Championship since 2012 (different club).

Also, it took them another 37 years to finish above us last time... we've only had 7.

This is what is wrong with football in this country. I appreciate the nature of this thread and the mocking of our rivals' date=' but for a third tier professional football club to have to close their U23's side due to cost, has to be detrimental for the development of young players in England.[/quote']

Fortunately only really sh011te young players though.

28th April 2018 - St Portsmouth Day

A movable feast like Easter, that usually falls in March, April or May. It is the day it became mathematically impossible for Southampton to play Portsmouth in a league game until August 2019 at the earliest.

Db9oJZjW4AIVycM.jpg

Can I suggest St Sabuvyu Day? It's a much better name.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})