Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I would presume that if they are liquidated, then liquidators will be appointed. They will then "own" PFC2010 in the same way that UHY (AA) owns them now. Their objective will be to realise best value from the asset.

So much the same as it is now.

But it'll get really interesting if the liquidators are not UHY...

Article here too...

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/parent-company-liquidation-query

Understand - Thank you

She said: “If a local supermarket closes down another quickly takes its place. If Portsmouth Football Club closes down, the Pompey fans will not be content with buying their season tickets from Southampton.

1) Portsmouth FC has closed down numerous times recently

2) Why not be content with season tickets from Soton? PFC could be considered to be Aldi and SFC could be Waitrose but with both being the same price. :)

FFS....

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Prime-Minister-Backs-Blues-Survival-Bid-3077.aspx

Prime Minister Backs Blues Survival Bid

Portsmouth Football Club today welcomed a call by Prime Minister David Cameron for HMRC to work with the club to help it survive.

Cameron told the House of Commons that it was vital the club continued and that HMRC should meet with the club to discuss its tax bill.

Pompey face a winding-up petition from HMRC on February 20. The club is seeking new owners and wants HMRC to give it more time to find a solution to its financial issues.

The club’s future was raised by Portsmouth North MP Penny Mordaunt during Prime Minister’s Questions in the House of Commons.

She said: “If a local supermarket closes down another quickly takes its place. If Portsmouth Football Club closes down, the Pompey fans will not be content with buying their season tickets from Southampton.

“Will the Prime Minister add his voice to mine in calling for HMRC to meet with the club so it recoups the taxes it’s owed, that our club survives and that the fans have their chance to become its owners.”

Cameron responded: “I will certainly do that. I think she is absolutely right to raise this issue. Knowing one or two Pompey fans I can completely understand.

“The idea that they can go and support Southampton is completely incredible. We must do all we can to keep this friendly rivalry going.”

In learning of the support from Parliament, Pompey chief executive David Lampitt said: “I would like to place on record our thanks to Penny Mordaunt and to the Prime Minister for supporting the efforts of the club and its supporters in pursuing an exit route from its current circumstances.

“We will continue to do everything we can to that end, including working with HMRC and other creditors to ensure that the club has the time it needs.”

I never voted for the ****. Bloody glad i didnt too.

Actually all Dave really said was poopey should sit down with HMRC and sort it out.

Which is different from lump**** just going round mouthing off in the Media. In fact it rather stitches them up for the next comment which should come from HMRC

We tried to sit down and discuss their plan to pay us, unfortunately they had read something called the poopey takeover thread and kept using a word we did not understand when we asked about their payment plan. They stated "yes habibe we will pay you insh'allah"

Anyway we did our bit but now they have refused to talk in English to us so they have clearly no respect for the PM or their MP either

So will the FL now act in the face of the DCFSBs gaining a competitive advantage by being allowed to defer paying their bills when they fall due?

WILL THEY FU CK!!

How can an MP stand up in the House of Commons to defend and justify a company evading tax????? Corrupt, the whole lot of 'em. I'm sure it's no coincidence that Cameron speaks in support of a city with two Conservative MPs against a city with two Labour MPs.

So will the FL now act in the face of the DCFSBs gaining a competitive advantage by being allowed to defer paying their bills when they fall due?

WILL THEY FU CK!!

How can an MP stand up in the House of Commons to defend and justify a company evading tax????? Corrupt, the whole lot of 'em. I'm sure it's no coincidence that Cameron speaks in support of a city with two Conservative MPs against a city with two Labour MPs.

You've hit the nail on the head there.

With the introduction of politics to this thread, expect Dune to join the fracas any time soon.

Ssshhhhh.... I won't tell him if you don't...

It's when this gets referred to the European Court of Human Rights that you'll have to really start worrying though....Nigel Farage could be our saviour!! ;-)

I have spent all my money on a really luxurious family holiday this year, therefore I will not be paying any tax as I can't afford to do both.

I expect to be let off the tax as it's not as if my kids can just go and move in with the rich family down the road.

Judging by the tweets to the glorious Penny, I think she may have opened a can of worms!

If the PM gets inundated with emails asking about this matter, he may decide to actually look into the whole affair instead of just giving a PC reply to her. He MIGHT decide that pressure should be brought to bear on the judiciary to go against PFC.

I won't hold my breath, however.

I just realised. Guys, we've over taken them again, we really shouldn't care or get wound up (no pun intended). That's why they hated us so much because we was superior to them and didn't pay attention.

I would not have wanted them to go boobs up before this latest fiasco. It's not about the rivalry for me.

Judging by the tweets to the glorious Penny, I think she may have opened a can of worms!

If the PM gets inundated with emails asking about this matter, he may decide to actually look into the whole affair instead of just giving a PC reply to her. He MIGHT decide that pressure should be brought to bear on the judiciary to go against PFC.

I won't hold my breath, however.

Maybe Ed Milliband should intervene on behalf of the oppressed taxpayer? Semi serious thought...

Regarding Cameron's outburst in support of the skates this afternoon:

https://email.number10.gov.uk/

"Dear Mr Cameron,

In PMQT today (1/2/12), Penny Mordaunt urged you to direct HMRC to discuss with Portsmouth FC how best to keep the club afloat (BBC). As a taxpayer, I must say that I am appalled to see you as Prime Minister taking this position. Portsmouth FC has a long history of going bust and most recently (2010) cost the taxpayer around 40m in taxes in their last insolvency event. HMRC quite rightly issued a winding up petition to protect the taxpayer from further losses. I cannot help but feel that your unqualified and explicit endorsement of Portsmouth's long legacy of tax evasion is at best ill-advised and can only act as a bad example for other commercial entities who may wish to evade their tax responsibilities.

Your sincerely,

{my name}"

The supermarket analogy is complete crap. If the taxman correctly shuts the current club down, its supporters are not compelled to watch Saints, but are free to set up and own a new club associated with the city(and thereby be the owners she says they want to be). They just have no right to keep the status of the old one.

Supporters do not support football companies any more than they do supermarkets, they support the projection of their city or region through a football club and that could still be achieved.

I cant recall our MP's asking questions of the then Labour PM when we were in trouble.

We now have had both Brown and Cameron commenting on Pompey .

Has anyone asked the Pompey MP explain how her husband got her those internal e-mails or do we only speak about it on here?

I would have thought a journo, probably DM or Guardian should get the answers.Anyone on here send them e-mails about it?

Dan Milmo

here's the man to go to - he was very fair to us during our strike, don't mention my name though

I have spent all my money on a really luxurious family holiday this year, therefore I will not be paying any tax as I can't afford to do both.

I expect to be let off the tax as it's not as if my kids can just go and move in with the rich family down the road.

That should be cut and pasted into a letter to the board of HMRC with an introductory "I understand Portsmouth Football club have set a precedent in UK tax law....etc" or words to that effect...

Regarding Cameron's outburst in support of the skates this afternoon:

https://email.number10.gov.uk/

"Dear Mr Cameron,

In PMQT today (1/2/12), Penny Mordaunt urged you to direct HMRC to discuss with Portsmouth FC how best to keep the club afloat (BBC). As a taxpayer, I must say that I am appalled to see you as Prime Minister taking this position. Portsmouth FC has a long history of going bust and most recently (2010) cost the taxpayer around 40m in taxes in their last insolvency event. HMRC quite rightly issued a winding up petition to protect the taxpayer from further losses. I cannot help but feel that your unqualified and explicit endorsement of Portsmouth's long legacy of tax evasion is at best ill-advised and can only act as a bad example for other commercial entities who may wish to evade their tax responsibilities.

Your sincerely,

{my name}"

Done, sent to PM's office cheers.

Where were the govt when we went to the wall. Maybe Paedos /crooks, gun runners et al have a protected status in the land of skateville

Oh I forgot mulwhinny made us go into administration and got us docked points

Where was John Denham when we needed him

We made the mistake of not getting in debt to a government run organisation. If we were as shrewd as Pompey we'd have had the same type of publicity and public sympathy because no-one likes the taxman...

Here is my e mail to Cameron

I am concerned at the answer the PM gave today in the HoC in reply to a MPs enquiry regarding Portsmouth FC tax liabilities. He impled that it was acceptable for businesses such as PFC to be given preferential treatment by HMRC and even seemed to be condoning their financial irresponsibility. Can I remind the PM this is not the first time Portsmouth have not met inland revenue obligations and his remarks very much send the wrong message to other potential tax defaulters. Regards Duncan Holley

Just had a reply from Penny:

Dear ...., I am not asking the PM to take sides.Let me reassure you that- as per my PMQ today- I do want PFC to pay their tax bill. But unless we get PFC and HMRC in the same room, which is all I have been asking for, this will not happen. ...If the club is not sold any tax owed will not be paid. It is not special treatment, other businesses and indeed other football clubs have received a pragmatic approach from HMRC enabling them to settle their bills, but this requires the parties to sit down together and see what is feasible.

Certainly we can let the club fold and the supporters could restart it, but that would not be in HMRCs interest. The club staff are not receiving salaries, so HMRC can be assured no further debt will be racked up.

In other cases, where I have asked HMRC to take a pragmatic stance- in their interests as well as the company in question- it has worked out well: debts paid, company survives. I am not sure we will get such a happy outcome with Portsmouth FC, but it is worth a try.

The point I also made today at PMQs was that, while it should be treated as any other business, it is a special case. Supporters have been badly served by a succession of owners who have ruined the club. It has also been failed by the football authorities who have decided that these owners are fit and proper people to be running the club. PFC has considerable social value and unlike a supermarket is irreplaceable. The government is pushing to get more supporter ownership, and for the first time in Portsmouth’s history there is a viable bid from a supporters trust.

HMRC has a very restricted remit- collect tax that is owed. My remit is to get the best outcome all round- PFC in supporter ownership and tax bill paid.

I hope that explains the position. Best wishes,

I wonder if she regrets opening her mouth this afternoon.

Dear ...., I am not asking the PM to take sides.Let me reassure you that- as per my PMQ today- I do want PFC to pay their tax bill. But unless we get PFC and HMRC in the same room, which is all I have been asking for, this will not happen. ...If the club is not sold any tax owed will not be paid. It is not special treatment, other businesses and indeed other football clubs have received a pragmatic approach from HMRC enabling them to settle their bills, but this requires the parties to sit down together and see what is feasible.

Certainly we can let the club fold and the supporters could restart it, but that would not be in HMRCs interest. The club staff are not receiving salaries, so HMRC can be assured no further debt will be racked up.

In other cases, where I have asked HMRC to take a pragmatic stance- in their interests as well as the company in question- it has worked out well: debts paid, company survives. I am not sure we will get such a happy outcome with Portsmouth FC, but it is worth a try.

The point I also made today at PMQs was that, while it should be treated as any other business, it is a special case. Supporters have been badly served by a succession of owners who have ruined the club. It has also been failed by the football authorities who have decided that these owners are fit and proper people to be running the club. PFC has considerable social value and unlike a supermarket is irreplaceable. The government is pushing to get more supporter ownership, and for the first time in Portsmouth’s history there is a viable bid from a supporters trust.

HMRC has a very restricted remit- collect tax that is owed. My remit is to get the best outcome all round- PFC in supporter ownership and tax bill paid.

So she REALLY thinks that a Supporter led consortium can raise the £20M + required to pay on Chinnery et al? She's just as deluded as the rest of them.

Dear ...., I am not asking the PM to take sides.Let me reassure you that- as per my PMQ today- I do want PFC to pay their tax bill. But unless we get PFC and HMRC in the same room, which is all I have been asking for, this will not happen. ...If the club is not sold any tax owed will not be paid. It is not special treatment, other businesses and indeed other football clubs have received a pragmatic approach from HMRC enabling them to settle their bills, but this requires the parties to sit down together and see what is feasible. Errr, both parties will be sitting down on the 20th, PFC can put their business plan across then for how they will repay their tax bill!

Certainly we can let the club fold and the supporters could restart it, but that would not be in HMRCs interest. The club staff are not receiving salaries, so HMRC can be assured no further debt will be racked up. And that's thanks to HMRC and their WUP which has frozen their empty bank accounts, they should be thanking HMRC for that!

In other cases, where I have asked HMRC to take a pragmatic stance- in their interests as well as the company in question- it has worked out well: debts paid, company survives. I am not sure we will get such a happy outcome with Portsmouth FC, but it is worth a try. Would that be because those other companies had a realistic business plan, were able to reduce their overheads and hadn't previously been involved with crooks and gangsters. I suspect it probably is!

The point I also made today at PMQs was that, while it should be treated as any other business, it is a special case. Supporters have been badly served by a succession of owners who have ruined the club. It has also been failed by the football authorities who have decided that these owners are fit and proper people to be running the club. PFC has considerable social value and unlike a supermarket is irreplaceable. The government is pushing to get more supporter ownership, and for the first time in Portsmouth’s history there is a viable bid from a supporters trust. Lol. If there is a viable bid from supporters then they shouldn't worry. Surely that bid will be rushed through and all the paperwork shredded, I mean signed, by the 20th putting the fans in control and avoiding the WUP!

HMRC has a very restricted remit- collect tax that is owed. My remit is to get the best outcome all round- PFC in supporter ownership and tax bill paid. Your remit is not to interfere with HMRC! They are paid to collect tax and that is what they are trying to do!

Would love to see what she has to say to those points....

Just imagine if Saints supporters did the right thing for Portsmouth and decided to raise money for their Club or its rebirth? Gone at a stroke would be the years of bitter animosity. In one single act the prestige of Saints would also jump up. Because they are down is the right time for some Saints samaritans.

Couldn't you argue that getting the CVA before was Pompey's chance to sit down and work out a deal, yet they've just ended up in the same situation all over again?

Indeed. Miss Money Penny, and others like her, are conveniently airbrushing over the recent past. "£20m tax evasion two years ago? What was that you say? Sorry, I'm dealing with the here and now not what happened in the past. La la la la la la"

Just imagine if Saints supporters did the right thing for Portsmouth and decided to raise money for their Club or its rebirth? Gone at a stroke would be the years of bitter animosity. In one single act the prestige of Saints would also jump up. Because they are down is the right time for some Saints samaritans.

I would quite happily donate a fiver to the Conference South's AFC Pompey fund.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})