Skates

SET

As much as I dislike some of the Pompey fans a lot are decent lads . I would just like them taken down a peg or 5

We have a couple of pet skates at work, who give and take the ribbing, so I know that quite a few are good lads, I just stated I remember the incident that shamed thier town, when they attacked a pediatrians office because they were on the hunt for paedofiles and thier limited intellegence of the group on the hunt, meant they did not know that one looked after children and one did unspeakable things to children.

We have a couple of pet skates at work, who give and take the ribbing, so I know that quite a few are good lads, I just stated I remember the incident that shamed thier town, when they attacked a pediatrians office because they were on the hunt for paedofiles and thier limited intellegence of the group on the hunt, meant they did not know that one looked after children and one did unspeakable things to children.

You mean this incident in Newport? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/901723.stm

What you are confusing it with is the Paulsgrove riots a few weeks earlier:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/870837.stm

Hmmm, either way, what a stupid bunch...

I thought that this was worth bumping as the thread continues to be a good source of amusement. Now we have Storrie telling the World that the Skates are in a state of complete limbo, neither Gaydamak or Fahim willing to spend a penny, while the club are forced into further selling of players just to keep afloat. The takeover by Fahim was supposed to have been completed ages ago but still hasn't happened, lending fear to the possibility that it might yet all fall through. Players they have targeted like Katalinic have signed elsewhere. Decent players are being replaced with unknowns and has beens.

What a reverse of the situation of a couple of months ago when we envied their luck, supposedly being taken over by their third muti-millionaire in a row, whereas all we had in our history was mostly control by local accountants and solicitors and the occasional businessman who could be categorised as wealthy, but not mega rich.

With the possibility growing ever more likely that we could actually both be in the Fizzy Pop league next year, or almost certainly the year after for us, our star is firmly in the ascendancy, whereas theirs is waning. We had to endure much gloating from them along the M27 when things looked bleak for us. It seems to have gone very quiet from their end of late.

I thought that this was worth bumping as the thread continues to be a good source of amusement. Now we have Storrie telling the World that the Skates are in a state of complete limbo, neither Gaydamak or Fahim willing to spend a penny, while the club are forced into further selling of players just to keep afloat. The takeover by Fahim was supposed to have been completed ages ago but still hasn't happened, lending fear to the possibility that it might yet all fall through. Players they have targeted like Katalinic have signed elsewhere. Decent players are being replaced with unknowns and has beens.

What a reverse of the situation of a couple of months ago when we envied their luck, supposedly being taken over by their third muti-millionaire in a row, whereas all we had in our history was mostly control by local accountants and solicitors and the occasional businessman who could be categorised as wealthy, but not mega rich.

With the possibility growing ever more likely that we could actually both be in the Fizzy Pop league next year, or almost certainly the year after for us, our star is firmly in the ascendancy, whereas theirs is waning. We had to endure much gloating from them along the M27 when things looked bleak for us. It seems to have gone very quiet from their end of late.

it would be great to get promotion next year to pass them when they crash

Maybe, but they still have a team that could put more goals into our net than we could score against them, imo.

I would love to meet the skates in a cup match this season. Only then will we have some idea of the relative strengths of the two clubs. The day will come when we are the better team, but we've an awful long way before this becomes a reality.

Meanwhile let's see how we compare with Millwall!

Maybe, but they still have a team that could put more goals into our net than we could score against them, imo.

I would love to meet the skates in a cup match this season. Only then will we have some idea of the relative strengths of the two clubs. The day will come when we are the better team, but we've an awful long way before this becomes a reality.

Meanwhile let's see how we compare with Millwall!

Unfortunately Pompey are still far stronger than us. David Nugent is a struggling Premier striker but would be outstanding in League 1 let alone the Championship.

Hopefully the gap will close very soon

I don't get it, thought they sold out every game and would get 30,000 if their stadium allowed but just looked on their OS

preseason game this Saturday against Rangers - one end sold to Rangers, but the rest still available, general sale - 6 tickets per caller

Their premier league games - tickets still available, general sale - 6 tickets per caller

Are they just waiting for the new stadium to fill?

I don't get it, thought they sold out every game and would get 30,000 if their stadium allowed but just looked on their OS

preseason game this Saturday against Rangers - one end sold to Rangers, but the rest still available, general sale - 6 tickets per caller

Their premier league games - tickets still available, general sale - 6 tickets per caller

Are they just waiting for the new stadium to fill?

According to their fans they are the "biggest club on the south coast".

The facts are they are a small tinpot club followed by a load of jewellry wearing tatooed gippo's who cant sell out their ramshackle tin shed even for the PL games.

Who gives a stuff about them. COYR

we didnt exactly sell loads for our big Scottish game a few weeks back.

1) more than they have

2) it was a second preseason friendly at home on consecutive Saturdays

3) it was announced late Ajax was always our main home friendly

4) Rangers much bigger draw than Hearts

5) They are going to see the mighty Portsmouth with their great support, tradition and premiership side, not a small league 1 side

Only sold 6k-7k for their friendly against Rangers on Saturday apparently, and that includes 2500 Rangers fans!

That leaves around 3,500 skates

we didnt exactly sell loads for our big Scottish game a few weeks back.

think it was just over 5,000 saints fans

1) more than they have

2) it was a second preseason friendly at home on consecutive Saturdays

3) it was announced late Ajax was always our main home friendly

4) Rangers much bigger draw than Hearts

5) They are going to see the mighty Portsmouth with their great support, tradition and premiership side, not a small league 1 side

According to their fans they are the "biggest club on the south coast".

The facts are they are a small tinpot club followed by a load of jewellry wearing tatooed gippo's who cant sell out their ramshackle tin shed even for the PL games.

Who gives a stuff about them. COYR

no - according to some fans we are the biggest not all, you lot claim we are obsessed with attendances - you haven't stopped going on about it since you went down, nickg on here was asking again how our ticket sales are going - lol - who gives a stuff, surely it would be better for you to concentrate on "taking back your rightful place" as you put it, so you have some sort of decent argument rather than banging on about attendances.

anyway you lot will get your wish soon - rumour is gathering again - administration within a week.....

no - according to some fans we are the biggest not all, you lot claim we are obsessed with attendances - you haven't stopped going on about it since you went down, nickg on here was asking again how our ticket sales are going - lol - who gives a stuff, surely it would be better for you to concentrate on "taking back your rightful place" as you put it, so you have some sort of decent argument rather than banging on about attendances.

anyway you lot will get your wish soon - rumour is gathering again - administration within a week.....

not many then?

The attendance debate on here was started by a skate a few weeks ago who posted saying you were better supported and denied any of the evidence put forward.

good luck with administration (that good luck going in, not out!)

We don't have a "rightful place" no one does really, we are going to have a laugh in the next few seasons in the CC leagues before perhaps getting back to the PL with all the other facepainted bandwagon idiots. The point being we regularly attracted much higher crowds than you playing ****e football in a poor League. We also had well in excess of 20 odd thousand for a recent freindly.

I do believe we have a better support, a much better stadium and will get our own back on all you **** takers quite soon and cement our place as the best club south of London.

By the way i hope you don't go into admin as it just go's to show that money and greed is ruining the game we all love. At the end of the day we are all just football fans.

Portsmouth news have been totally behind the Dr and slating other press for doubting him

now publish this

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/New-doubts-over-Al-Fahim.5520123.jp

I've had a s**t morning and needed cheering up - luckily I read the above link and comments.

They really brought tears to my eyes - in fact I haven't stopped rolling around laughing since I read it.

When we were going down the pan a few months ago I didn't expect anyone to give any sympathy, especially that lot down the road, so it's justice that I can now gloat at their situation. I'm sure they will survive as we have, but it's worth making the most of it while we can.

We don't have a "rightful place" no one does really, we are going to have a laugh in the next few seasons in the CC leagues before perhaps getting back to the PL with all the other facepainted bandwagon idiots. The point being we regularly attracted much higher crowds than you playing ****e football in a poor League. We also had well in excess of 20 odd thousand for a recent freindly.

I do believe we have a better support, a much better stadium and will get our own back on all you **** takers quite soon and cement our place as the best club south of London.

By the way i hope you don't go into admin as it just go's to show that money and greed is ruining the game we all love. At the end of the day we are all just football fans.

I can agree with most of that. Administration is the medicine they get for buying their success.We did it in a small way and have had the punishment it would be just if they had theirs. The team they bought and watched gave thm an unfair advantage over others and they gloried in their success.It all comes at a cost and the sooner more clubs take a knock who do so the better.it started with Leeds, and has happened to us Norwich Charlton ,Boro Newcastle must be close. The multi millionaires have caught a cold and now PL football is only suited to billionaires, there are not many left to fill the boots.

Portsmouth news have been totally behind the Dr and slating other press for doubting him

now publish this

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/New-doubts-over-Al-Fahim.5520123.jp

I feel dirty, but for some reason I feel slightly bad for the blue few... it must be awful for them.. Is it wrong for a League 1 fan to feel sympathy for a Premiership club? Even if they are skates?

I feel dirty, but for some reason I feel slightly bad for the blue few... it must be awful for them.. Is it wrong for a League 1 fan to feel sympathy for a Premiership club? Even if they are skates?

yes. Enjoy their pain.

I'm loving it. I don't want to see them go under conpletely but would love them to be permanently crippled so they must spend the next 40 years at least below us. That would be dandy.

GOODNESS ! ...this thread has attracted more interest than our OWN Adminstration battle did.

..Is the famous Mr. Fry involved with this one too, or has he still not been released the psychiatric unit yet ?

Yes, Fry will be back in negotiations with Life Long Skate no doubt!

I wouldn't have cared that much (other than for the comedy value) if so many of them hadn't been gleefully enjoying our administration - many to the point of wishing oblivion on us.

Yes but to counter balance your statement, there were quite a few of them hoping we didn't go into administration/liquidation.

I'm loving it. I don't want to see them go under conpletely but would love them to be permanently crippled so they must spend the next 40 years at least below us. That would be dandy.

Me too.

I want them to go into administration. They have been living beyond their means for a while now and this is the inevitable consequence.

My concern though is that after we went into administration we had:

Cons:

League 1

Squad in need of improvement

Pros:

Good stadium

Good facilities

Strong (but admittedly diminished support)

We managed to find a buyer who could see that sensible investment in the squad, over time could return us to the premier league.

They have

Pros:

Premier league - but probably not for long

Some good players remain

Cons:

Sh*t ground

sh*t facilities

small loyal base of supporters with the bulk of recent attendances made up of JCLs.

High wages require investment to sustain even before any money is spent on anything else.

Any buyer looking to tak them on will have to fund a new stadium and training ground etc whilst also taking on responsibility for funding the current squad's wages.

This is going to require a MUCH bigger outlay making them a much less attractive proposition.

We nearly didn't make it, I fear that they may not be so lucky. Much as I dislike the majority of them this would be a shame.

Yes it is completely WRONG to FEEL sympathy.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

The correct reaction is to FEIGN sympathy with that insincere look in your eyes when you meet with a skatemate and say..

"I worry for your club, the south coast needs two strong teams, it isn't right that an idiot chairman can run them into the ground and then delay/scupper or mess up the takeover process. It must be awful for you having to lose your best players and be so worried about the future. Chin up I am sure something will come along"

Then turn your back and giggle and grin.... BUT remember that whole condescending fake SINCERE look is the critical part

fookers did it to me for the past 5 years - let them eat cake

Edited by dubai_phil
lol swear filter removes the word describing to laugh behind ones hand

Any sympathy I have for them disapears the moment I remember the brick throwing, police dog kicking scum that greeted me when I got of the train the last time I went down there.

if ever a club deserved to go bust it was pompey, they brought the FA Cup on a credit card, it's only right and fair that they pay for it now.

Erm I think the accusation of attendance obsession can be laid at Corp Ho's door...

The correct reaction is to FEIGN sympathy with that insincere look in your eyes when you meet with a skatemate and say..

"I worry for your club, the south coast needs two strong teams, it isn't right that an idiot chairman can run them into the ground and then delay/scupper or mess up the takeover process. It must be awful for you having to lose your best players and be so worried about the future. Chin up I am sure something will come along"

Then turn your back and giggle and grin.... BUT remember that whole condescending fake SINCERE look is the critical part

I see what you mean... but for some reason I do have a twinge of sympathy for them... (perhaps I'm too much of a wooly liberal?)

Sympathy is one of the most patronising things. I think this is why many Cherries don't like us, the 'little brother' thing is so patronising that it really sticks in their throat...

A little bit of sympathy for Pompey (genuine of feigned) would do several things, it:

• Would rise above the abuse they gave us
  • Would annoy their fans a great deal more than almost anything else we could do (certainly more than abuse)
  • And we'd get to keep the moral high ground...

Is (feigned) sympathy more annoying than abuse?

Don't panic - I can help.

Have managed to put together a rescue package for you using my extensive facebook skills.

Needs help from the councli but the money is secure (d) against the Guildhall & HMS Victory, the money men have been put together by MJ, and we have a highly experienced and available Chairman from Gloucestershire ready to come in and put you back on track.

Just let me know Stories (sic) email address and the deal can be done today

I see what you mean... but for some reason I do have a twinge of sympathy for them... (perhaps I'm too much of a wooly liberal?)

Sympathy is one of the most patronising things. I think this is why many Cherries don't like us, the 'little brother' thing is so patronising that it really sticks in their throat...

A little bit of sympathy for Pompey (genuine of feigned) would do several things, it:

• Would annoy their fans a great deal more than almost anything else we could do (certainly more than abuse)

Yup - with abuse you can respond, defensively or aggressively or even turn the other cheek. With "feigned" sympathy you sort of have to find yourself responding with an equally insincere oh yeah thanks, hope you get out the mess type of response OR a stuff you I don't need your sympathy Cherry type reaction which leads to beers getting spilled and all that

Sadly, my prospective son-in-law is a Skate, although my daughter is a Saint through and through. When we meet, we are always polite and deliberately avoid talking football for obvious reasons, but recently I have feigned sympathy for him and it feels really good!!!

that is a big Lol

Sadly, my prospective son-in-law is a Skate, although my daughter is a Saint through and through. When we meet, we are always polite and deliberately avoid talking football for obvious reasons, but recently I have feigned sympathy for him and it feels really good!!!

I empathise with this. Mr TF is a Skate :oops: and he was very supportive throughout our troubles.

But I KNOW he was chortling behind my back.

So now I solicitously ask from time to time how his takeover is going. And then leave the room for a big chuckle.

:D

still waiting for an apology Hypo - you were mocking my predictions that the takeover would never happen a few weeks ago now you have reverted to mocking Pompey. :)

Personally I think they should be stripped from winning the Cup as it was done with players they never intended or could ever own.

I wish .. the latest relegation odds vary from a high of 100/30 (4.33) to some going as low as 15/8 (2.88) .. contracting all the time

Its 10/1 on being bottom at Xmas & 14/1 on ending up bottom - all with bet 365. Or it was on sunday!!

But hurry. -10 points will see a uge contraction in those odds as well.

Putting aside the comedic value of their situation, look at our squad that wasn't good enough to stay up in the Prem, we deserved to go down but there was still some quality there, or look at the players Newcastle failed with - on that basis I can't see Pompey getting a point before Christmas!!

They have a keeper and one striker of note, not exactly a winning formula.

Every week they hang onto players and maintain the wage bill it's another nail in the financial coffin, every time they sell it must cause more resentment between the two owners (!) and as the squad reduces, how on earth are you going to attract quality players?

We have suffered the same problem, Pardew must have some potential signings who won't even talk to him because of our predicament, welcome to our world.

They are on a slippery cliff and unless this new guy produces serious money within the next couple of weeks, I can see them in administration, the options must be running out.

And my message to any Pompey fans I come across is simply, 'see you soon'.