Setting up a business.

Pilchards

I'm thinking of setting up a business that I know will be a success however I really don't know where to start.

Without revealing what service I'm providing I would like to ask questions on here in the hope someone can help me.

I need a standard size warehouse within an industrial estate but would that be a hire or buy option?

is there any such thing as warehouse auctions?

Also do I need council approval, planning permission?

Finally on running a warehouse what can one claim back on tax in terms of %.

Any books to help perhaps or any advice would be a great help.

Thank you.

the first bits are easy, and are done in this order.

You need to incorporate your company, there are plenty of places online that will help you do this for around £50. Once you your documents of incorporation (or whatever the official name is) you need to get a bank account. So take your docs along with id and address info to the bank and get that set up, most will give you free banking for a year or two.

Next you'll need to get yourself VAT registered if you think you'll turnover £60k+ a year (i think that's the limit, i may be wrong tho).

Now you've got your company, bank and VAT (all this should take a couple of weeks most), and you really need office space, then get googling my friend. There are plenty of agencies who can help you find space, but don't discount the local rags, there's often some good adverts in there, especially if your business is more concerned with space. You may be able to find serviced offices that meet your storage requirements, this is generally good because you pay a monthly lease + telecoms charges and that's it, no elec bill etc.

The biggest advice I can give is dont do anything thats hard to undo, lease your building, get a short term contract for telecoms etc... you'll learn lots but make a few mistakes on the way, so the quicker you are able to alter those or shift your circumstances the better.

Hope this helps

Baj that's amazing help!

I have started reading a book and had a look at a small warehouse however I was staggered it was £85k a year to let.

Going on the search in the next couple of weeks for a place while doing the setup like you said.

Many thanks for my kickstarter mate.

Just had a quick look before I've to rush off somewhere, Hatch that really is a cracking site the bottom one you gave me, I can't believe I'm gonna have my own business one day.

:-) :-) :-)

Business Link was and is fantastic.

Get yourself booked onto one of their FREE courses...!

Alliance & Leicester do a cracking Business Bank Account with no charges (ever!)...(I don't work for them honest - but it was the best deal I could find).

Registered my Limited Company online for under £50. Take the opportunity then to register a domain name, even if you don't use it straightaway.

Also recommend the 'Starting your Own Business for Dummies' book..sounds daft but worth shelling out the £15 for.

Got decent business phone deal through Opal - which is the business part of Carphone Warehouse. BT have an offer on at the moment for free line installation (normally £120).

Hope this helps..

(PS I arrange mortgage finance but if you need an accountant, let me know - mine is an avid Saints fan - home and away - top bloke!)...