Our Position Or Pompey's?

Daren W

Without a competitive game under either clubs belt, what position would you rather be in?

Ok, so I'm slightly biassed but....

Saints.

League One club. Starting on -10 points. Feel good factor. Out of administration. Financially stable. Good stadium. Good academy. Good training ground.

Pompey

Premeirship club. Sky/Premeirship money. Finacially unsure. Poor moral. Poor ground. No academy. No training ground.

If I'm being really, really honest I wouldn't trade places with Pompey. They have a chairman who wants his money back and is pillaging the club for all he can get and an incoming chairman who is letting him. If the papers are to be believed Gaydamak loaned the club £20million on interest of 15% pa, that's £3 million a year! Makes Lowe look like a choirboy

Compare that to our situation and I'd take League One with real hope over Premiership with those shady monkeys any day...

Discuss*

*(without it being dumped to the lounge)

Saints

We have a lot to be proud of -and to look forward to.

Skates are embarassing at the moment, their bogus Dr, losing all their players, players fighting, poor crowds, signing players who are either retired or released due to not being up to league 1.

I was driving along M27 yesterday and drove by a car covered in skates stickers, years ago I would have scowled - I laughed out loud!

The only thing that they have that I want I the Premier status. There is absolutely nothing else that they could possibly offer at present.

Actually I just had a thougt. Wouldn't mind David coles and niemi coming back but other that there is nothing else that they could possibly offer at present.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'd much rather be in our position. Yes we're in League One, and yes we're starting on -10, but I feel we have a lot of good times ahead, where as P*mpey's future very much hangs in the balance and their long-term future is uncertain.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'd much rather be in our position. Yes we're in League One, and yes we're starting on -10, but I feel we have a lot of good times ahead, where as P*mpey's future very much hangs in the balance and their long-term future is uncertain.

But is it as ridiculous as you think? I thought our situation was bad but when you look at the fire sale at Pompey you have to ask yourself what self respecting businessman would buy a club that has sold/is selling anything that's not nailled down?

I feel some sympathy for the proper Pompey fans, we all know it's soul destroying....

However, the **** taking ****s can **** off mind you.... lol

As a Pompey fan, I would take our position, the Prem is much harder to get to than it is to stay there. Yes it's a bit* of a mess at Fratton Park right now, but as you all know these things (can) change. SAF may well not have the funds himself, nobody really knows but him, but it seems pretty clear that he doesn't plan on going it alone.

Ps. Officially, PFC does have an academy, which isn't looking bad at all, so at least there is something to look forward to :lol:

*Understatement of 2009

As a Pompey fan, I would take our position, the Prem is much harder to get to than it is to stay there. Yes it's a bit* of a mess at Fratton Park right now, but as you all know these things (can) change. SAF may well not have the funds himself, nobody really knows but him, but it seems pretty clear that he doesn't plan on going it alone.

Ps. Officially, PFC does have an academy, which isn't looking bad at all, so at least there is something to look forward to :lol:

*Understatement of 2009

So, as one of the blue segment of Hampshire, how do you feel about Pompey's survival prospects this season? I know it's hard to say when a ball hasn't even been kicked in anger, but I would say it's looking pretty grim with the squad being depleted by the day.

To answer the OP, I would rather be in our position overall. Yes, Pompey are a PL team at the moment, but come May I honestly don't think this will be the case anymore. I seriously expect us to be meeting in the CCC in the next couple of years (or, even possibly, us heading up to the CCC after next season, and Pompey heading in the opposite direction).

Their future is looking incredibly uncertain, and they need the takeover sooner rather than later.

Currently it's not looking good, I don't follow odds, but I suspect we're down as a shoe in for the bottom 3, if not the flat bottom. Still, 23 days left to the window shuts, perhaps there is a surprise lurking.

Sacha and SAF definitely need to get things sorted, it would appear to be a case of seeing who blinks first at the moment, but while we're waiting for that things have to be paid off, and neither will put any money in.

The Premiership may be hard to get into, but once you are there you must be as sharp and stable as possible or you will suffer. Us, Charlton, Newcastle and Leeds learned that the hard way, I believe the Skates are going to experience it this year.

I would far rather be in our shoes, a decent infrastructure based on sound foundations rather then a prefab built on sand. If Relegation occurs for the Skates this year, who will want them?

No people, it's too early to start crowing. It's perfectly possible that in three seasons time we'll still be in this sh1t league, with dwindling attendances and having our best players poached by more successful clubs.

Likewise, for all the promising portents of doom the blue few, they are not yet beyond salvation.

Always ensure your enemy is dead before borrowing his feathers.

Currently it's not looking good, I don't follow odds, but I suspect we're down as a shoe in for the bottom 3, if not the flat bottom. Still, 23 days left to the window shuts, perhaps there is a surprise lurking.

Sacha and SAF definitely need to get things sorted, it would appear to be a case of seeing who blinks first at the moment, but while we're waiting for that things have to be paid off, and neither will put any money in.

Neither are blinking, neither gives a stuff!

One is selling anything that he can to get his money back and is rumoured to have loaned his own club money at 15% pa!!

The other is sat in the wings watching the club fall apart and doing nothing. Why would you considering buying something that is worth less and less by the day? There will come a point when he will be purchasing a championship club and that's a fact. Pompey struggled last season, the clubs coming up are strengthening and they're weakening. It doesn't take a genius to see how their season is going to pan out...

All fo a sudden I feel so much better about football. Now all it would take is a mass sports recession and Chelsea, Man City/Utd to go out of business and I'd be happy...

It saddens me in a way the plight of both clubs. When Pompey nearly went skint in the late 80's it didn't feel sporitng to lay the boot in to them. I am sure the vast majority of Skates with even the smallest Cerebal Cortex would have felt the same about us this Summer.

I'd honestly hope for a time where we could go toe to toe with them, preferably in the highest division.

In reality I think they are fast approaching the point where Gaydar will put them into admin and cut his losses. I think they may take years to hit the bottom (as I think we did May 2009).

You know what...

I'd take MJ & us over Sultan Bin Trump ANY day of the week. At least with MJ we know he had no money of his own, whereas SBT keeps trying to pretend....

But seriously

Had a late Latte with a senior local businessman last night, his reaction - oh HIM, hahahahaha - oh sorry you not Portsmouth supporter are you? As he wiped the Latte from his face he said "Oh that is lucky then", hahahahaha.....

They MAY get PL football, this season, but then again they may not make it past the next few weeks, remember, WE nearly didn't make it to Saturday, and it's Ramadan soon, so if things don't happen in the next 3 weeks, then the transfer window will have been and gone and they will have their Academy team out there every week until January.

I'm sure it won't really be THAT bad.........

On a more serious note, much of the building work in the Emirates is undertaken by Indian immigrant labourers who are little better than slaves - if their new owner has become rich through slave labour, I wouldn't really want to be associated with that...

I would prefer to be in our shoes rather than theirs. For me, one of the major factors is that from what I have seen and heard of him so far, Markus Liebherr is a man of integrity. Fahim does not give me that impression at all. ML keeps in the background and with quiet efficiency and absolute professionalism, gets the job done. Contrast that with the fake sheik, who is all mouth and little delivery. One gets the impression that if he shook your hand, you'd have to count your fingers.

Either next season or almost certainly the one after, we will both be in the Fizzy Pop league, us on the way up, them on the way down. I cannot envy seeing them in the Premiership this season attempting to beat Derby's record for lowest points haul in a season, because that is the direction they are heading at the moment.

Short term theirs, long term ours. They overspent and won the FA Cup, we overspent and got relegated twice... so you could say that they overspent more wisely than we did. We however got tangible assets from it like SMS and Staplewood whereas they got a squad of good players who have now all but gone. The worst is over for us and the best maybe yet to come. The best is over for them and they have a long long way to fall.

FAO Rusty the Skate or any Pompey fan on here.... genuine question... when you were buying all the players and winning the CUp etc. Where did you think all the money was coming from ? I kind of assumed that it was from Gaydemak (or his Dad) but of course, he just borrowed it all....

Edited by Billy Shite

Now lets see! 1.Poopey. Pillow biting, caravan towing, skint inbred pikeys,with a billionaire(£60-70m lol) new owner on a premier chair with one leg!

Or!

2. Saints. With a lower place in the football leagues, minted (real billionaire owner), own ground with 32000 seats, a real manager who signs realistic players and not names from the final fantasy league.

Hard choice really!

Just kidding!

SAINTS ALL THE WAY. :)

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

Would rather be in there's

They are a Premiership club, even if they get relegated they will still be in a better position than us

adminstration, no ground support, no squad, academy etc etc

how would they be in a better postion?

you just love them!;)

why, you have seen what we are saying and how excited about football we are - they would love to be in that position.

They are in the PL, we would love to be in that position.

adminstration, no ground support, no squad, academy etc etc

how would they be in a better postion?

you just love them!;)

They are not in admin yet. They need some investment but anyone who would realistically not want to swap positions is a bit mental.

They possibly will even stay up with just a couple of additions, in the fact wolves, burnley, hull, wigan and maybe even stoke are also pretty crap

Pompey had god knows how many years of misery, with a year or so with their heads in the sun, around the late 80's, before hitting the big time properly again only a few seasons back. They know what it is like to be desperate. If I was a Pompey fan, I'd be enjoying every last second of the club's premiership existence. They are there, in our place, where we should be. They don't have to make the big run of season after season consistent winning. They just need to survive, like we did all through the 90's. It's not impossible for either team, but even with financial stability, let's not be foolish, Saints task is the greater.

The simple fact is that my club is in Division 3 and the rivals down the road are in Division 1. Our situation is starting to look up, and their situation is getting worse. But it might get better. They stand on a higher plateau. We'll see what each other's fortunes pan out to be after a few months or years. However, there is no who would you rather be decision. I can't see the dilemma or decision. I was born in Southampton, I again live in Southampton. No other club exists that is going to be supported by me. End of story.

They are not in admin yet. They need some investment but anyone who would realistically not want to swap positions is a bit mental.

They possibly will even stay up with just a couple of additions, in the fact wolves, burnley, hull, wigan and maybe even stoke are also pretty crap

They need more than just some investment. It's alledged there are loans still outstanding to the tune of £60m!

At the moment it's not clear whether they will find investment (is the club worth £60m?) but in a couple of weeks we'll find out.

theres only going to be one answer. no fan from either club would want to be in the others position im sure. It's the club, fans, payers, and history that make it, not the current league position or state of wealth. A touch of bitterness is normal but always prefer to be in saints shoes whatever the weather

I would take Poopey's position, every time. They're in the Premiership. We're in League 1 on -10 points.

Simple as that. ML could decide to re-leverage and sell Saints in a heartbeat.

I suspect in six months times both teams will be mid-to lower table and we would swap playing Gillingham for playing Man Utd and Liverpool any day of the week.

Let's not discount the job in hand here: two promotion campaigns before we're even up where they are. That's a massive task. That said, I would rather be here. I believe in both the manager and owner. The same can not be said of Pompey. They are showing all the signs of the fondness for football suicide which marked our first delegation season. All it would take would be A bad start followed by Hart being sacked at Christmas (followed by another Adams-esque cheap choice) and you'd see Pompey in the sort of free-fall which would make ours look like a light tumble.

That said, even if we stay down and they stay up, I would still choose the lean, purged club with a decent manager and owner over the flaccid, punch-drunk club with a second rate manager and cheapjack owner.

Which is exactly what Pompey fans were saying when they got their "dream team" all those years ago. And look what happened then...

about 4 out of 40 out posters on this thread are mental?

Think you are wrong - but also arrogant in dismissing the optimism of our fans

On a more serious note, much of the building work in the Emirates is undertaken by Indian immigrant labourers who are little better than slaves - if their new owner has become rich through slave labour, I wouldn't really want to be associated with that...

You've been watching too many episodes of Panorama :)

He became marginally wealthy by working in an unsustainable market driven by pure greed, much of that fuelled by brainwashed Brits who thought that owning property anywhere on the planet without checking the local laws was a quick-fire way to pay off their credit card debts.

(note that was an equally simplistic retort)

The situation and the local economy is WAY more complex than that.

The cause of Asian "labour" suffering is a massive mix of circumstances, the single most damaging are other Asian based con-men or Agencies who charge people large sums to get them work here.

That whole illegal process occurs in ASIA, not here, and it is STILL illegal THERE.

Those poor fools are then hired by a number of unscrupulous companies, here and across the entire Middle East.

Those companies are never the Prime Contractors, they are always friends of uncles who drive cost and quality through the floor as sub-contractors. It is also illegal here.

BUT, up until very recently, the pittance that labourers appear to earn here even IN those cases was far more than uneducated labour could have earned in their villages in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh or Nepal. The HORROR for many of them though was that through their own naivety, by signing with those "agents" they were charged fees of around $3 to $5,000. They believed they could start out at the bottom of the ladder and work hard and get pay rises and change jobs. Of course those agents never told them they were tied by the Visa process. You could be more accurate than the BBC by actually googling Indian Recruitment Agents for jobs in UAE or Complaints by UAE Government about illegal agents in Asia type stuff and get the whole story.

A tea plantation employee picking your Tetley earnt less than ONE US$ a day, even the worst paid labourers here earnt around 3 times that. Those working in PROPER companies that did not try and "find a fast way to success" aren't HAPPY, but they earn 3 times or more than they could have done at home.

It is not right, defensible, fair nor equitable, but then it is ok to sit over there and criticise as long as Primark et al keeps being able to use the same labour to allow you lot to buy cheap clothes.

It is never as simple as made out. A Sri Lankan Housemaid earning an average of 100 Euros per month will usually support an extended family of around 20 people at a level that allows them to build a house for them all.

Show me any country on the planet where people do not get screwed by other evil people, even with so called "inspectors and legislation"

Now if you want to look for ways that people (not necessarily the good Sultan Bin Trump) made money and exploited people from the property boom then just google UAE, Property, Corruption cases. there are an awful lot of them pending in the courts. Some of them involving European passport holders as well.

It is NOT a simple "let's make a simple statement because we are so superior in our society" type issue. But then Sound Bites and spin that's all the Brit population like to watch on telly these days

It's all relative,Pompey are in a better position than us but I think we are the more stable club at the moment.

I would have to say that I would rather be in pompey's position,although they are likely candidates for relegation they still have a chance of staying in the prem where the money is........us on the other hand will also struggle but we are in the wilderness leagues where the money is tight.