Our Position Or Pompey's?

Daren W

Amazing the level of gloating going on in here, more so when you consider the poistion we were in not so long ago. OK so many Pompey fans revelled in our potential demise but what shows more class? Us revelling in theirs or actually showing some concern about the collapse of our fiercest rivals who have long added to the experience of being a Saints supporter.

Can you imagine a life without Portsmouth FC? I can't, if for no other reason the Northam will lose half their song repetoire and we will be subjected to a diet of them letting the rest of SMS know where they are in probably the most pathetic and least effective of their choral tributes to help support the team. 'We're the Northam, we're the Northam..........yes you are, well done'

If Porstmouth FC do go under then it will be a day to regret and remember as oppose to a collective grave spitting. Our football lives will be all the poorer but it seems many don't recognise that fact.

No, my memory is fine thanks and I have forgotten little of what has gone on between the clubs for 45 years. However, for me having studied in Portsmouth during our the 70's I recall us being in the same division, division 2, in 1975 and by the time I left in 1978 we were in Div 1, Pompey were in Div 4 and of course we had won the FA Cup. I had a lot of friends who were Pompey fans, thoroughly likeable people though I can't deny the pleasure I derived from ALWAYS having the bragging rights was a real bonus.

As far as I'm concerned Pompey do have some moronic fans, possibly more than their fair share, but then so do we.

So regardless of the antipathy of some I would certainly miss the local rivalry and I suspect so would many others.

Excellent post and I agree completely. The rivalry is part of the make up of SFC and helps define us to many beyond just being an isolated team on the South Coast such as Brighton. Where would Rangers and Celtic be without each other for example and their rivalry transcends sport.

Yeah but if that happened you could just imagine the ****storm it would create. All those teams who went ino admin and were given penalties will look at that and think how can it be one rule for some and another for everyone else? I can just picture Bate's face if that happened.

The rules are different to the PL and FL, I dont think a single PL team has been in admin yet. If they get relegated, they are screwed and I think admin will follow.

But they wont get a points penalty while in the PL so a relegation would have to be purely on merit and they are doing a very good job of that at the moment.

I wont miss them, the blue few can follow Havant- Waterlooville or some other crappy side.

IMO you will miss them over time as you'll go looking for a rivalry with other teams that doesn't exist and will never match the intensity we share with Pompey today. Who's result are we going to listen out intently for at half time? Yeovil? Swindon? Reading? Brighton? Bournemouth?

It's in our best interests to hope that Portsmouth are saved as much as we hoped we would be saved. If for nothing else it shows when push comes to shove we are a truly class set of supporters who love football and everything about it.

On another matter heres H

Harry Redknapp dismissed any notion that he was about to leave Tottenham after odds tumbled on him becoming the first Premier League manager to lose his job this season.

Bookmakers slashed odds on Redknapp leaving White Hart Lane from 50-1 to evens at one point despite the manager having led Tottenham to their best start for 50 years.

prior to the last couple of seasons when they have been above us in the league I was hardly aware of their existance, the only time I had anything to do with pompey was "friendlies" and when their fans used to come to the dell to support the opposition and cause trouble.

Good riddance to the blue rubbish

But what about all your feelow supporters who regardless of league positions have remained loyal to reminding us of that fierce rivalry? How many anti-Pompey songs do we get a match and what will happen if Pompey were removed from the football map?

We hated Pompey, we hated Pompey.....

Doesn't seem quite so enduring as a song to get the crowd going. Pompey helps define our own identity as a club.

Amazing the level of gloating going on in here, more so when you consider the poistion we were in not so long ago. OK so many Pompey fans revelled in our potential demise but what shows more class? Us revelling in theirs or actually showing some concern about the collapse of our fiercest rivals who have long added to the experience of being a Saints supporter.

Can you imagine a life without Portsmouth FC? I can't, if for no other reason the Northam will lose half their song repetoire and we will be subjected to a diet of them letting the rest of SMS know where they are in probably the most pathetic and least effective of their choral tributes to help support the team. 'We're the Northam, we're the Northam..........yes you are, well done'

If Porstmouth FC do go under then it will be a day to regret and remember as oppose to a collective grave spitting. Our football lives will be all the poorer but it seems many don't recognise that fact.

I have many friends who are Pompey fans. Face to face and in the pub they were as concerned about our future over the past year as many of us really are today.

However, that is tempered by the fact that a great many others from that area took great glee at our demise. Also, many of them started to open the champagne corks when their Sheikh was first taken to a game and rubbed our noses in it ON OUR FORUM.

So, yes they are a part of our heritage and history but then so were dinosaurs. If they fold I will feel sorry for some of the good people who lose their jobs and some friends who will be distraught, but to the others - Sod 'em, serves them right, sorry.

We got into our mess because of incompetence, petty small minded businessmen and their egos. They got into their mess by pure greed.

They chose to support their "Live by the Sword" approach, well sorry, if Storrie was to say it was his fault for letting the money go, or the fans to apologise for being arrogant tw&ts when we were in trouble I would join your crusade.

Right now, ain't gloating, it's pure laughter

Don't confuse gloating with banter, Nineteen ?

I accept that we have both on here though !

For me, it is not only good to have a laugh at their expense (as they have done with us!) but gives us some respite from our own recent problems !

I'd love them to be relegated and us to come up (this year or next!) so that we can beat them yet again but would hate them to be gone forever (which won't happen anyway!).

FWIW I think that the few Skates who visit this site are rational and reasonable people and I feel that they are perfectly capable of looking after themselves !

The good doctor is a joke, long live the good doctor !!!!

:)

Edited by Alright Dave
Eurosaint speaking on behalf of Alright_dave by mistake !

I have many friends who are Pompey fans. Face to face and in the pub they were as concerned about our future over the past year as many of us really are today.

However, that is tempered by the fact that a great many others from that area took great glee at our demise. Also, many of them started to open the champagne corks when their Sheikh was first taken to a game and rubbed our noses in it ON OUR FORUM.

So, yes they are a part of our heritage and history but then so were dinosaurs. If they fold I will feel sorry for some of the good people who lose their jobs and some friends who will be distraught, but to the others - Sod 'em, serves them right, sorry.

We got into our mess because of incompetence, petty small minded businessmen and their egos. They got into their mess by pure greed.

They chose to support their "Live by the Sword" approach, well sorry, if Storrie was to say it was his fault for letting the money go, or the fans to apologise for being arrogant tw&ts when we were in trouble I would join your crusade.

Right now, ain't gloating, it's pure laughter

Totaly agree with you Phil, although a certain pub in Salisbury wouldn't be so much fun without the skates to take the p**s out of.

Good to see you Tues, if only briefly.

Totaly agree with you Phil, although a certain pub in Salisbury wouldn't be so much fun without the skates to take the p**s out of.

Good to see you Tues, if only briefly.

Drowned our sorrows with a quick pint in Plaitford on the way back!

Body clock is completely screwed at the mo!

Say hi to Sparky & Neil when you see them next and of course let them know "I told you so!"

Now what was that ruling about a place in the Blue Square Conference that they were joyously chatting about on their forum back in May, better dust that one off for them as well!

Drowned our sorrows with a quick pint in Plaitford on the way back!

Body clock is completely screwed at the mo!

Say hi to Sparky & Neil when you see them next and of course let them know "I told you so!"

Now what was that ruling about a place in the Blue Square Conference that they were joyously chatting about on their forum back in May, better dust that one off for them as well!

Will do mate. Result permitting I shall be there for the usual Sat night gloat afer the game 2mrw.

But what about all your feelow supporters who regardless of league positions have remained loyal to reminding us of that fierce rivalry? How many anti-Pompey songs do we get a match and what will happen if Pompey were removed from the football map?

Doesn't seem quite so enduring as a song to get the crowd going. Pompey helps define our own identity as a club.

even more reason for them to go!

never saw the point of people singing how much they hate pompey to bunch of, for example, Fulham fans who would probably agree!

Does nothing to encourage our team or pressurise the other

I think that all of the gloating / banter might fast be about to come to a halt to be honest. If, as we suspect, the good Dr is about to put them into administration, it would appear that they have a very, very good 'get out of jail' card in the PS consortium waiting in the wings.

As I understand it there are some very wealthy backers who would be able to invest in the club and take it further. So perhaps, all the talk of big players, new ground and considerable investment is not actually that far away.

Remember that good old adage - he who laughs last, laughs longest.

That said, I have never understood, how do you know who laughs last?

I think that all of the gloating / banter might fast be about to come to a halt to be honest. If, as we suspect, the good Dr is about to put them into administration, it would appear that they have a very, very good 'get out of jail' card in the PS consortium waiting in the wings.

As I understand it there are some very wealthy backers who would be able to invest in the club and take it further. So perhaps, all the talk of big players, new ground and considerable investment is not actually that far away.

Im not so sure any investors waiting in the wings would be quite so keen to invest following administration and -9 points, relegation a near certainty having such a poor squad (by PL standards) but hey, lets just enjoy it while we can

Im not so sure any investors waiting in the wings would be quite so keen to invest following administration and -9 points, relegation a near certainty having such a poor squad (by PL standards) but hey, lets just enjoy it while we can

If that is the case - why loan them money to pay the wages now? Sorry but it doesnt't stack up at all.

As for the possible points deduction - it probably is not even a factor. Any right thinking person would know that there is a very real possibility that Pompey will be relegated this season - therefore that is already factored into their thinking.

They may well go down - but, like us, could yet come up smelling of roses.

If that is the case - why loan them money to pay the wages now? Sorry but it doesnt't stack up at all.

As for the possible points deduction - it probably is not even a factor. Any right thinking person would know that there is a very real possibility that Pompey will be relegated this season - therefore that is already factored into their thinking.

They may well go down - but, like us, could yet come up smelling of roses.

Oxymoron!!

going back on topic for a moment (oh the shock....)

I'm confident that Saints will still be there to support at Christmas.

Can't say the same about Pompey with any confidence right now, so as things stand AT THE MOMENT, I'd choose our position.

Find it hard to reconcile that a man would supposedly buy a club and invest his money be it not very much and then put them into admin and lose all his money, something does not add up here!!!!!

Maybe it's like the story of Mel Brooks' "The Producers": he can make money but only if it flops. In this case the ice-cream doctor borrows money from a bunch of suckers to buy a piece of crap, doesn't actually invest the money, waits for it to collapse (administration), and does a runner. :smt036

**** them, remove them from the map. I will quite happily hate soembody else. But will remember with fondness my time hating them. LOL

I dont agree ,I know and quite like lots of them to have their lives ruined.Just a return to their rightful place languishing below us and talking about them being sleeping giants and able to fill 40k stadiums if they ever made the top league

Well Said! It'll be like going to a Pantomime without a villian

You are a ****, 99% of true Saints fans would love it if they go bust.

Bugger Pompey, wouldnt miss them at all, OK, there might be some "Saints" fans who wouldnt welcome their demise, but I have had nothing but trouble with their fans, they are not even able to be civil outside a match environment, even my sister in Petersfield takes abuse from these so called fans at her work place. The sooner the rotten club dies the better. I remember the seventies when they were last going bust, with bucket collections and sponsorship of square yards of krap notarf and players (before this was commonplace), it was a pity they didnt dissapear then..

Bugger Pompey, wouldnt miss them at all, OK, there might be some "Saints" fans who wouldnt welcome their demise, but I have had nothing but trouble with their fans, they are not even able to be civil outside a match environment, even my sister in Petersfield takes abuse from these so called fans at her work place. The sooner the rotten club dies the better. I remember the seventies when they were last going bust, with bucket collections and sponsorship of square yards of krap notarf and players (before this was commonplace), it was a pity they didnt dissapear then..

Couldn't disagree more. The loss of our local rivals would leave a huge whole in the fabric of local football and in Hampshire generally. As for the comments about behaviour, exactly the same could be said of a few Saints fans, or a few fans of any club. Its completely wrong to damn a whole group of decent people because of the behaviour of a few.

I don't want any club to go out of business whatever some of their fans are like, but I reserve the right to chuckle and have even been LOL reading these threads: I really must get back to tidying the office and preparing for a private lesson this morning.. but this thread has been so funny. I might send the odd email to Pompey supporting friends; got enough from them in the past about Saints' situation!

The Northam are the loudest and most vociferous of the St Mary's Faithfull

... but I do find it Pathetic that STILL the most vocal of the chants is still the antiquated, outdated one ending "We hate Pompey, We hate Pompey"

What the hell has that got to do with CHEERING THE SAINTS ON ????

Time to move on, BIG TIME:cool:

I really do find it hard to believe that a consortium of wealthy Arabs or indeed any other wealthy investor, would find Pompey a good investmenbt opportunity. If they did, then I'd have to question their financial nous. For a start, there are many other better opportunities that make more sense in British football. Secondly, so much money would have to be spent on the infrastructure, new stadium, new training ground, new players, etc, that it just doesn't stack up. Plus, if they are relegated, which they almost certainly will be, why would that investment be viable in the second division?

We were entirely a different case, bought from the bargain basement, but with a good infrastructure already in place and bags of potential.

And put me in the gloating camp. I have many business clients who follow the blue few and when I see them periodically, we have a good discussion about the situation between the clubs. But there is no reason why we shouldn't have a good gloat on here. I'm sure that the blue few who come on here would recognise the irony of how things can turn around within a few months.

I really do find it hard to believe that a consortium of wealthy Arabs or indeed any other wealthy investor, would find Pompey a good investmenbt opportunity. If they did, then I'd have to question their financial nous. For a start, there are many other better opportunities that make more sense in British football. Secondly, so much money would have to be spent on the infrastructure, new stadium, new training ground, new players, etc, that it just doesn't stack up. Plus, if they are relegated, which they almost certainly will be, why would that investment be viable in the second division?

We were entirely a different case, bought from the bargain basement, but with a good infrastructure already in place and bags of potential.

And put me in the gloating camp. I have many business clients who follow the blue few and when I see them periodically, we have a good discussion about the situation between the clubs. But there is no reason why we shouldn't have a good gloat on here. I'm sure that the blue few who come on here would recognise the irony of how things can turn around within a few months.

Wes - I don't disagree with anything that you say (including the gloating btw..!), but (and call me stupid at any point) I cannot get my head around this whole thing.

The fake Dr, buys a club (or business), he offloads most of it's prized asetts and replaces them with cheap alternatives - sending the business to an all time (Prem) low. He then openly declares that he is looking to refinance the business - therefore we can all safely assume that he has no money. Just to exhasberate the problem further he actually fails to pay his staff and has to go cap in hand to get a loan.

So, I admit, I'm confused because for the life of me, I cannot understand why he bought the club in the first place - it just does not make sence.

All of that said - I too agree with you on the point of new investors. Apart from the fact that they would probably be able to pick up the club for peanuts once all the dust has settled, I fail to see why anybody would be remotely interested in it. There are loads of very decent alternatives from Newcastle to Darlington, both of whom would snap a wealthy investors hand off.

As I said - the whole thing doesn't add up - something very 'fishy' going on.

Wes - I don't disagree with anything that you say (including the gloating btw..!), but (and call me stupid at any point) I cannot get my head around this whole thing.

The fake Dr, buys a club (or business), he offloads most of it's prized asetts and replaces them with cheap alternatives - sending the business to an all time (Prem) low. He then openly declares that he is looking to refinance the business - therefore we can all safely assume that he has no money. Just to exhasberate the problem further he actually fails to pay his staff and has to go cap in hand to get a loan.

So, I admit, I'm confused because for the life of me, I cannot understand why he bought the club in the first place - it just does not make sence.

All of that said - I too agree with you on the point of new investors. Apart from the fact that they would probably be able to pick up the club for peanuts once all the dust has settled, I fail to see why anybody would be remotely interested in it. There are loads of very decent alternatives from Newcastle to Darlington, both of whom would snap a wealthy investors hand off.

As I said - the whole thing doesn't add up - something very 'fishy' going on.

History repeats itself. Behind the hysterical mirth at the time you have all seen this before.

You have a middleman with an ego, he meets a middle (woman) with a product to sell. The middleman goes to a backer, sets up a deal without completing all the contractual issues, NDA's etc. The middleman marches in and naively announces that he has brought the football club, gives embarrassing TV interview and within moments finds himself escorted from the building.

The ONLY difference between THAT story and Bournemouth was that the money men completed the deal and The Abu Dhabi Royal Family bought Man City.

Now fast forward, you have an egotist who has contacts, he will be used to having a laisse-fair (sic) regulatory environment where "things are worked around.

he hears of another deal and learns his lessons so tightens up all the legal side and mounts his bid to buy a club. The first problem he now hits is that his money is (in all likelihood) coming from a Royal Family Member which is not something that can be "worked around" as it would be down here, hence the attempts to set up an Offshore SPV from Switzerland. At the same time, he will have other contacts based in Dubai who offer to back him up, unfortunately Thailand's finest is no longer likely to be welcomed either.

Again, for an egotist with connections that would be no problem as he would know that Dubai Inc had expressed Public interest in two football clubs previously and so would obviously back him up when he delivered a club on a plate to them.

That last bit backfired because Dubai Inc has other ideas on Value Add from a football club, and the man in the system (not the Boss of course) who would drive it is in fact an Arsenal Supporter a very wise and respected businessman and someone who shuns any form of media attention in business dealings and lol is probably aware of the true value of that lot up the road.

So, you had two middlemen. One learnt a hard lesson and tried a slightly different approach (and as he and we all agree now, luckily failed leaving Markus with Saints).

Al Fahim is a reported Billionaire. I am surprised that the press (who are enjoying this now as much as we are) haven't done some real deep down dsigging into his whole background and how Hydra came about and why HE isn't putting any of his billions into the club.

hell, I could have leveraged some loan finance for the Skates, I posted how to do it AGES ago, when showing how a fan could do a hicks and Gillett, and yet they feted this guy as a hero....

Fishy is not the word Micky