Pes 10

Robsk II

• 4 weeks later...

Played 6 games now.

Won each game by scoring more then 3 goals to 0. In fact they did not even have a shot at my goal. Not sure if that is because i am good at the game or because they are ****? ( i was Barca vs Liverpool).

In a word the best way to describe this game would be "football?".

Because it is nothing like football. I can score after going on runs with my defenders, the computer does nothing to stop it. It will not try and tackle me. When it does have the ball it passes every single time into the middle of the pitch. The ball then either get's passed to my player or bounces off their players foot and i collect it.

There were no sliding tackles, no passes to the wings, no free kicks, no shots at my goal, no throw ins, no corners etc etc. The AI is possibly the worst i have seen in any game. The game feels clunky and non fluid. The passes are not instant and have a delay from when you press the button to when it leaves your foot. The 360 degree dribbling does not seem any different to before. The team mates just stand around doing nothing etc etc i could go on for days.

The things i did like were the presentation of the game. When you boot it up it seemed to be really quick in terms of how long it takes to get from the menu and into a game.

Shooting seems better then last year as has more weight to it. It is major easy to score though.

Overall like all games it has it's good and it's bad. Unfourtunatly the bad are horrendous, you might aswell have no other players on the pitch.

Would not be surprised to see the game fall in price to £29.99 before release.

No that was on regular level, i then changed it to top player level after writing that and have to say it is not as bad.

However it still seems very clunky,robotic and non fluid in terms of passing and running. The Ai still have yet to have a shot at my goal but i am not scoring as freely due to the fact they are now tackling me with that magic press A and the ball will move to my feet thing.

I am giving it more games though so who knows maybe it might grow on me a little bit but overall not too happy. Konami said they had gone back and created it from scratch with whole new engine etc... load of ******** that turned out to be then!

Well after playing both FIFA and PES2010 I'm stuck in some ways I think both games are infact very very very good.

My impressions of PES2010 so far.

At first I started playing and I tried to play it like I did with PES2009 with lots of quick one two's and easy running, however it's been fixed, there's no one way to get around the defence, and the main thing for me is that defending seems to be fixed.

Your defenders always seem compact, gone are the days of your defence splitting open like Paris Hiltons legs, your defence stays compact and each player works for each other, which is extremely noticable, however I've only let in 1 goal on the demo and I've been playing on proffesional. Which is fairly disappointing, as I quite like the challenge of losing to begin with and bettering myself. However it seems far more challenging than the FIFA demo in where I'd get 10 clear cut chances per game on the highest difficulty setting.

The passing however does take alot of time to adjust too, gone are the days where you can ping quick one touch balls like PES2009 this game REALLY makes you think about what your next move is and what your next pass should be, which means the focused player will get rewards. However some throughballs need a bit of a rework, but what I've discovered is the throughball button IS pressure sensitive meaning they go further if you hold it down longer, this applies for long through balls.

It's much easier to lose possesion, if you play risky football, which is why the A.I are very good at keeping the ball in there own half to fashion out chances, which is fairly easy to defend against.

The graphics are superb, every player model is far better than FIFA, and each player has a certain uniqueness to them, which makes me want to get this game to play with every player & every team. When you play with Messi you can feel he glides about and he's head and shoulders above anyone on FIFA.. he just feels the same as the other players. The face models are superb, it makes watching the opening scene really worthwhile. The lightening effects and staduims are the best they've ever been it truly looks superb.

The dribbling at first feels clunky, and like your players are heavy in comparison with FIFA it's true they are, however start to use R1/RB correcting and the (XBOX arrow thingy) you start to use feints and tricks to outmanouvre the defence. It's been picked up on the little feints look FAR better than fifa when you trick a defender you just want to look at the replay at how you did it, it looks like in real life defender getting wrong footed by a bit of genuis and only certain players can do it.

The shooting, probably the best it's been for me, you really can arrow shots in, place shots, use lobbed shots, much like PES5 the trick is if you're in space have a pop! the game rewards those who dare to shoot. I've scored a variety of decent finishes, some arrowing into the corner from tight angles and a couple of very decent long rangers, but my goals have been varied. There's no "one" easy way to score.

The crossing doesn't feel as good as fifa, but in some ways it feels more rewarding, in FIFA every cross seems very easy to get on the end of, almost too easy. In the demo I have to think about the runners coming in, how many taps where my players will be positioned and when you get it right, with one of my first goals a diving header by David Villa, it's very satisfying I've scored about 4 headers, each one was a case of picking out the right cross, with a target man it's very effective, especially if you play with Italy or Germany. Low crosses seem very satisfying too, however some more 'whip' is needed i think for the final build.

Goalkeepers - I haven't seen any clangers yet, YES no cheap goals as of yet, this was my biggest concern, that Massimo Taibi would be playing for every team regardless of stats.. I've yet to see him appear or the rebound goals which were oh so simple of PES2009. However more playtime is needed.

Set pieces - Corners seem easier to defend than on 09 where you had to manically tap like a maniac to get that ball out, and you can also really get good whip on the balls into the box, and on free kicks they're scorable and were one of the good things about 09.

One minor gripe is sometimes that your team should be more attacking and take up more aggressive positions. I think this is down to the tactics that are default on the game, I think with tweaking your team to your advantage this will change, sometimes you want players to make forward runs, and they don't leading to "dead end" situations where you have no choice but to play the ball back in frustration.

Slide challenges are back with a vengeance they're extremely effective and can be timed much easier, defending feels fun again.

First touch, I haven't figured out how this works, at times it feels unresponsive as it was very easy on PES2009, I'm trying to still play around with it, when the ball is played into a striker more often than not the defender will tackle him regardless of where the strikers first touch is, however I think with some practice i'll have it figured out.

All in all.. I feel like i have to relearn PES again, which is the sign that it's back with a vengeance there's that satisfaction when I score, whilst FIFA seems great to begin with, I don't get that same feeling when i score I almost find it too easy.. too many chances in each match. In PES it's like learning to ride a bike again, i feel with practice will come great rewards with this game. If you notice more and more people are playing a few more games and starting to realise it's depth and subtleties.

It's going to be challenging, but I think they're starting to get the balance just right in terms of simulation the 'arcade' feel seems to have gone, this feels like a serious football game where each chance you have to earn, and you have to use tactics and your head to make things happen you can't play this game on auto-pilot as you can with FIFA.

Personally I can't wait till the game comes out, of course I'm one of few.. but hey.

Think that is a very decent write up Mike.

My brother who is a die hard pro evo player and is pretty amazing at it. Textme this morning to share his views on the demo "worst download ever". Don't think he was too happy :)

I have actually given it a bit more time and in some places it has grown on me. My 1st post on here is wrong, after playing it on a higher level it is not as bad, it is ok.

But some of the problems remain the same and for me that brings it down. For example the passing, it is delayed by a few MS which when your used to playing instantly is a bit of a downer. The sounds are fecking awful, it sounds like your shooting a gun every time you pass. As stated earlier the AI seem as dumb as i can remember. For example on one of the games i was just messing about and took a shot from the half way line. Their defender picked the ball up and ran with it. He got to about the half way line with 3 of my guy's heading towards him. Rather then doing what they do in fifa and pass it to another defender he just ran straight into them. Those little things kill the realism level of the game and make it pointless. If say your having a close game where one goal will seal the win that AI screw up makes it feel cheap. That for me is the biggest flaw, it is predictable and simply does not flow right. I have yet to see any sliding tackles or free kicks given. Crossing of the ball is all wrong, there are no levels of crossing just a long cross that has no curve and will go out 99% of the time. In comparison to Fifa, fifa got that right this year, the crossing in that is spot on.

So i disagree with the auto pilot thing. Fifa 10 is hard as always to play, it takes time to learn it and be good at it. If you know how to play you can pull off things that others cannot. Fifa is more realistic in how a football game is played. Few games end with 4-0, nornally decided by just one goal. But that is real life.

On the PES board a dude wrote up a really good post about why PES has gone backwards and it is a good read. He is a longtime pro evo fan and explains that all the things we used to hate about Fifa are now the the things we like about PES. Which basically means Konami could put out a version from 2 years ago and some people would say it is great. Fifa is improving every year, you can see it. PES just looks the same. The graphics do not look right, more cartooney, the colors are too bright. The one thing they have spot on in my view is shadows. But everywhere else this year Fifa burries PES again for like the 3rd year in a row now.

The reason i have played the demo so much is because i want Konami to be as good as they were so a part of me thinks they can be. If it was say Alan Hansens football game i would of switched off after 1 game.

Here's mine :

Compared to the FIFA10 demo (3 or 4 games on Weds), I put the PES2010 demo on yesterday night for a few hours.

PES is jerkier, and as a result takes some getting used to after FIFA's smoothness, but on the strategic side, the new sliders for team "style" are awesome (wide or centre atack, support or drop off, distance of players from man with the ball, etc). To play against Spain and have them swarming all over me in midfield with the pressing game, then to play as them and clobber Germany on the counter attack 4v3 and then score a legitimately real-looking square-ball tap-in was amazing. Player appearances are superb too, and the material now flows more realistically on shirts (though not as well as FIFA, certainly passable). Players are clearly going to be very customisable too, and hallelujah they've brought back untucked shirts from kick off, which is probably the difference between wanting to create a team of my mates and not.

PES still feels more like football, though the terrible direction changes and rubbisher collision detection in the demo (diving header through a defender's leg) means it doesn't exactly LOOK more like football when players are moving. They are in the right places and mostly do the right things though, and the sliders can completely change a team's style, and are just, as I've said, superb.

The new PES Teamvision 2.0 is fantastic when attacking, supporting runs and movement all over the shop, and the skill is now in timing your through balls to already running colleagues, not desperately hoping someone will chase your passes.

How that relates to the simplicity of scoring goals remains to be seen (I've found it much easier even on Top Player, but that may be because it's more realistic and I play to recreate reality not to beat the thing by exploiting arcadey cheats, and I'm all about the throughball run IRL so it suits my style).

My concern is that defensive AI looks partially excellent and partially all over the shop. My Ribery just speedbursted past a big German defender without the Germ getting close or leaning on him, and my 4v3 Spain break looked great, and the defender was obviously torn on who to mark, but fundamentally it was a Torres sprint through the back line into 15 yards of space that created it.

Might be that PES is too easy defensively, but certainly it's nearer real football with the kind of off-the-ball movement players make - I guess if you want to try wading a great big lummox up the pitch and see if people back off that's up to you, but rest assured when he loses the ball the opponent can counterattack realistically and exploit that space (like I did against Germany for my throughball, square ball tap in with Torres).

Hate the collision detection issues in the demos though, first one I conceded was when the player poked the ball through my diving gk's arm and then put the open goal in, the first one I scored was a diving header through the defender's midriff - THAT was disappointing.

Summary, if they can take the jerky 180-degree turns out it will look 50% more like football, most of the other stuff is spot on, and at least it looks good enough to make editing worthwhile this season. FIFA looks and feels fantastic, but I'm not yet convinced it has the depth in strategy. It's a pick'em, but they're both improved on last season and *I* like to create players with a decent edit mode...

PES is clearly far, far from the finished article. Even the basics like match stats and commentary weren't included - I get the impression the demo this year was just to show how much the graphics had improved.

Which they have, massively. There are definite leaps and bounds in the style and tactics of teams, and the player card scheme is preferable to the star-ratings too, though still a bit artificial at least it relates to individual skills that player will have that aren't in all players.

The lack of commentary was both worrying and pleasantly enlightening to me.

thought this one was pretty funny

shows the lack of animations and the rail system in full effect

but this one is the best

The ball going through the goalkeeper.....

Of course every game has bugs though.

Konami rushed the demo out so it could compete with the one EA released. I'm thinking they probably regret doing that now.

interesting to note that official xbox magazine have an article saying that they have played a better update of PES10 than the download currently available. Say it has something similar to Fifa 10 360 movement system. Says it makes PES10 totally different game to current demo

Think i will wait until both games fully reviewed before making a decision BUT on present showing think Konami could have made a major mistake in rushing out a pretty poor demo.

interesting to note that official xbox magazine have an article saying that they have played a better update of PES10 than the download currently available. Say it has something similar to Fifa 10 360 movement system. Says it makes PES10 totally different game to current demo

Think i will wait until both games fully reviewed before making a decision BUT on present showing think Konami could have made a major mistake in rushing out a pretty poor demo.

I hope that's true! Cos i really could not bring myself to buy Fifa!

If you make yourself a Japanese account on the PS3 you can download the demo for Winning Eleven 2010 which is the 100% code for Pro Evo 2010.

I have to say it's a massive improvement on the UK demo, response time on passing and shooting is better, playing runs are more intelligent and the 360 dribbling is superb. First time i've been optimistic about a Pro Evo since Pro Evo 5.

loved that pass the man utd player did about 25 yards out where after a cross he passed it back into his own penalty box (1.52), then the guy rather then turning and shooting crossed it out to the wing. With the 4 man utd defenders running after it. Guess we have different definitions of real football :)

Review Embargo ended today and the first non paid for review is up

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pes-2010-pro-evolution-soccer-review

At the end of the day the only review that matters is your own.

Personally i think Konami did some good things this year, it is not all bad. But it is an arcade game now, it does not reflect real football in the way it once did, which in my eyes is a big shame.

Always next year i guess.

I DO NOT KNOW IF ANYONE ALREADY HAS THE GAME BUT I DO AND IF ANYONE DOESN'T LIKE THE DEFAULT UNSPONSERED KITS SUCH AS MAN BLUE HERE IS THE PATCH WITH ALL KITS BADGES AND PLAYERS SORTED OUT JUST DOWN LOAD IT AND TAKE THE SAVEDATA FILE AND COPY IT INTO A FILE NAMED PS3 ON YOUR USB STICK THEN PUT ONTO PS3 COPY ALL DATA OVER (WILL SHOW UP IN SAVED DATA ON PS3) AND THEN IT WIL ALL BE THERE FOR YOU http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TA049B3A