Lloyd James is a pansy!

Ashley Grute

The Millwall game Lloyd James was out-muscled for the goal, today he let their winger stroll past him without making a challenge- he is a liability at right back- I would rather have Thomas, Gillett or even god forbid Wotton there!

I was more concerned with Thomson today who looked shocking - terribly off the pace, no urgency and he looked totally at sea.

James is too slow for full back - but all this criticism of Thomson is totally unjustified - thought he gave a spark when he came on but lacked service - if you are going to play wingers, give them the ball - when Jake got it he looked a threat - what he needs is a run of games and a stop to all this negativity! Give him a chance and he will deliver the goods!!

James is too slow for full back - but all this criticism of Thomson is totally unjustified - thought he gave a spark when he came on but lacked service - if you are going to play wingers, give them the ball - when Jake got it he looked a threat - what he needs is a run of games and a stop to all this negativity! Give him a chance and he will deliver the goods!!

Just goes to show how people see games differently. Sitting in the left Kingsland I got a close look at him and I was quite shocked how aimless he appeared. Out of his depth, sluggish, clueless, non-urgent, aimless and no composure.

Maybe he does need a few games but everyone around me thought he was dire today. Sorry.

James was good today apart from the goal

and their player never strolled past him, he beat him for pace when in full flight and James was from a standingish start

Yes that is true - I think he expected Thomson to have picked him up.

It would be good to see James make those sort of runs though - I somehow doubt he could.

James is another one who is totally overrated. These guys, Lallana, Morgan, James Thomson, Paterson, Gillett are just not good enough. Just because we've produced great young players before and this group did well at the younger level, does not make them good players. We are deluding ourselves here.

Must agree with FF about Thompson. After the first 10 mins or so I thought he looked lazy and clueless....the clueless I can live with cos many of our players have looked like that over the years but the lazy bit really bothered me.

Shake yourself up Jake FFS.

My point is as a full back you either need some pace or strength and James has neither- I would rather have had Thomas or Gillett at RB and James at RM. My position in the Northam is directly in line with the RB position and although he did improve last season, you would need all your fingers and some of your toes to count the number of goals we conceded last season from poor defending from Lloyd James!

Unfair as ever on James. If he is blamed for the goal, what about the half dozen other players their fullback ran past? Or the other defenders for not picking up the unmarked man in the box? He put in at least a half dozen decent crosses into their box. Thompson did one, Lallana about the same & Mellis none. And he links up the play well - neat & tidy. I agree he is not the best full back ever but he does add something to the team

Let's remember he is our second choice right back. Goal aside I thought James had a reasonable game, not great but not awful (which I would say for most of them). He can certainly cross a good ball and from deep positions.

I do agree that Thomson was dissapointing as was Mellis in the first half, particularly when he was playing on the left side. IMO we need some pace in the side, something I thought Thomson possesed but showed no evidence of.

Unfair as ever on James. If he is blamed for the goal, what about the half dozen other players their fullback ran past? Or the other defenders for not picking up the unmarked man in the box? He put in at least a half dozen decent crosses into their box. Thompson did one, Lallana about the same & Mellis none. And he links up the play well - neat & tidy. I agree he is not the best full back ever but he does add something to the team

Someone else to laugh at. He's rubbish at right Back. Him + Thompson must be the weakest ride side combination ever.

my opinion was as per usual we sat back after going in front & invited them onto us & then they got their equaliser,but being unfortunately sat in the chapel I didn't have the best view,please feel free to correct me, if I saw it totally wrong

I couldn't agree less. I think he's the best crosser in the team, or close to it along with Murty. I do agree that we need some wide men to get to the byline but I personally would not criticise a fullback for that - IMO the problem is we do not have any genuine wide players which seems to be a position that we fill in with guys who deserve a game but cannot fit in anywhere else.

I couldn't agree less. I think he's the best crosser in the team, or close to it along with Murty. I do agree that we need some wide men to get to the byline but I personally would not criticise a fullback for that - IMO the problem is we do not have any genuine wide players which seems to be a position that we fill in with guys who deserve a game but cannot fit in anywhere else.

That I think is the case plus Lallana does not bring much to the game

I have been frustratad with James as an attacking full back/midfielder from day one. Cant the coaching staff tell him that his crosses are useless until he can get down to the byeline. How many attacks are wasted by his diagonal balls from midway between halfway line and goal line.

Let's remember he is our second choice right back. Goal aside I thought James had a reasonable game, not great but not awful (which I would say for most of them). He can certainly cross a good ball and from deep positions.

I do agree that Thomson was dissapointing as was Mellis in the first half, particularly when he was playing on the left side. IMO we need some pace in the side, something I thought Thomson possesed but showed no evidence of.

You dont score goals from balls centred from deep positions (not at div1 level-the strikers are not good enough) I dont know the stats but i've never seen a goal scored from a james cross

The crosses are easy for defenders and the attacks break down.

Murty gets to the byeline and so does Harding.

Just goes to show how people see games differently. Sitting in the left Kingsland I got a close look at him and I was quite shocked how aimless he appeared. Out of his depth, sluggish, clueless, non-urgent, aimless and no composure.

Maybe he does need a few games but everyone around me thought he was dire today. Sorry.

Totally agree Duncan. Him, James and Lallana were easily the three worst players on either side. No accident that our best players were Harding and Trotman, players that are hardly veterans but have not had the pampered existance our academy lads have. Hopefully we could get a fee for Lallana but the kindest thing we could do with the other two is release them. A mate of mine is a Bournemouth ST and said Thomson was poor there last season as well. Real footballers in future, no more of Rupert's academy rejects.

I was more concerned with Thomson today who looked shocking - terribly off the pace, no urgency and he looked totally at sea.

Totally agree Thomson is so not ready and was absolutely awful.

People like Patterson and Thomson need to be loaned out to a fourth tier side to get experience, neither have impressed me so far with what I've seen of them both. There no doubt they both have the ability to be good players but need to play games and are not ready for our team due to the inexperience of the team and the situation we find ourselves in.

James is another one who is totally overrated. These guys, Lallana, Morgan, James Thomson, Paterson, Gillett are just not good enough. Just because we've produced great young players before and this group did well at the younger level, does not make them good players. We are deluding ourselves here.

Gillet should be in the team instead of that overrated morgan!!

Jeez when are all the chuffin sheep going to bugger off to support someone else, there is nothing wrong with Lloyd James yes he got skinned by an out of character foray forward by his opposite number who had the greater momentum, but where was the marker on the goal scorer Cleveland Whatsit.

I am sick and tired when people jump on the player knocking band wagon, especially when that player has the vision and the ability to make a pass that hits the man he is aiming for thus creating a chance.................... As you can tell it gets on my wick when a player who does not deserve the bullsh1t he gets cops it on here!

Thomson is not ready to play a big part at this level, maybe he should join a league two team for a bit and get match practise and learn how to deal with certain situations, he has pace and sometimes looks like he would be a usefull player in league one, so hopefully he shows that promise from the bench or with a loan move and be ready to help us more in the 2nd part of the season, in which hopefully we are pushing for 5th or 6th place.

James was good today apart from the goal

and their player never strolled past him, he beat him for pace when in full flight and James was from a standingish start

Exactly, that player f*cking flew past everyone.

How many times are we going to be beaten for pace on the wings before we realise that we need to do the same?

Just shows what a load of "r"ollocks people write on here about individual players, just seen the Brentford goal on TV, me-laddo for Brentford passed 2 other players before he confronted James before making the cross; where are the knives for them?

Edited by John Boy Saint

James, Thomson and lallana are ****! Schneiderlin is the best player in the league by a ****ing mile. Just wait till tuesday night, he will really turn it on. Today he had a steady game, didn't give the ball away and won a lot of ball as well. The tit that said Gillet is better needs his head testing as Gillet is **** and we need to get rid of the crap like him.

Just shows what a load of "r"ollocks people write on here about individual players, just seen the Brentford goal on TV, me-laddo for Brentford passed 2 other players before he confronted James before making the cross; where are the knives for them?

James should have snapped him in half, have you never heard of "no cross"?

Scheidnerlin was the only midfielder to show any creativity in my opinion. He is a class act.

Its funny how we all see things differently, I thought Morgan was the worst player on the pitch,

1 completed pass all game

No effort,

No tackiling

Lots of hiding.

I think he is a player who flatters and who, because he trys and occassionly succeeds, with the flash(ie 2 long range shots against Millwall) is considered a star.

He is however young and could be brought on BUT please do not ,Mr Pardew, say he was the best player on the pitch(as you did against Millwall) when he clearly wasn't this gives him no incentive to improve.

Bit unfair on James as he was probably the most improved player last season, even playing at right back. Playing right mid in front of Murty might be the making of him, but - though he can put in a decent cross in from deep - I can't see him getting to the byeline to put in crosses. Not pacy enough

The problem stems from L***'s stupid experiment last summer - ie playing a team of kids. Many of us said at the time that this would crush the confidence of the youngsters when they got out muscled by the big lads. It happened - they were put in the first team prematurely and we can see the consequences. These youngsters either need to go back to the ressies or out on loan to League 2 clubs to gain experience and rebuild confidence.

BTW - we are desperate for width and pace on the wings. Remember Nathan Dyer?

Crikey some posters on here think James is Ok. He was a poor midfield player in the Reserves and U18s and cost us a shed load of goals last year and will again if he is at right back. He cannot run tackle pass or head the ball - all he can do is put a good cross in from deep - ocasionally. Every other full back in L1 would have blocked tripped chopped down or anything else to stop the cross going 1 nil up with 10 minutes to go but he was nowhere. Useless.

Crikey some posters on here think James is Ok. He was a poor midfield player in the Reserves and U18s and cost us a shed load of goals last year and will again if he is at right back. He cannot run tackle pass or head the ball - all he can do is put a good cross in from deep - ocasionally. Every other full back in L1 would have blocked tripped chopped down or anything else to stop the cross going 1 nil up with 10 minutes to go but he was nowhere. Useless.

did you see him in the youth team? He ran the midfield in that team.

i don't think mass abuse of the young players is helpful or fair,in years gone by we introduced one of our own into an experienced side and they found their feet surrounded by older heads,we now have the exact opposite they are out there getting used to the new experienced players coming in,it will take time,each week a new face,a new personality for them to play with ...for heavens sake give them a break ,it's August...not December

did you see him in the youth team? He ran the midfield in that team.

Yes I try and watch most home games on a Saturday - in my opinion the tall Finnish guy ran the midfield in that side but we let him go. I will accept that James was reasonably effective at that level in midfield in a good side but now it is a different story.

i don't think mass abuse of the young players is helpful or fair,in years gone by we introduced one of our own into an experienced side and they found their feet surrounded by older heads,we now have the exact opposite they are out there getting used to the new experienced players coming in,it will take time,each week a new face,a new personality for them to play with ...for heavens sake give them a break ,it's August...not December

I think you are right but if they could not make it in the Championship and now are performing poorly in L1 they will have to return to the Reserves or be loaned out - we cannot carry them another season. As an example how many other strikers in L1 would have missed Patersons chance with the keeper over committed and not quite in the best position to save a shot unless you half heartedly mi**** it at him.

Schneiderlin would be a much better player if our two wide men both played out on the touchline, he would then be able to hit one of them or hit the pass behind the full back into the corner. The other one could then get to the corner of the penalty area and come in on the blind side reinforcing the strikers whilst the midfielders made for the edge of the penalty area.

There is no doubt in my mind his passing is the key, now that Hammond is alongside him it would release him if we played our wide midfielders wide.

Lallana won't do it, Mellis was on his wrong side, both narrow, leave them out and put in players that will stay wide.

For the moment I would put Holmes in on the left and Gillett on the right until we bring in one or two pacy proper wide players.

James lacks pace and is struggling to get into the game. Lallana has become a cameo player, a couple of flash flicks, no end product and seems to have no alertness or awareness.

• 10 years later...

Seeing as times are hard, I like this thread which features:

- The merits of Lloyd James and Jake Thomson as they battle it out for the RB spot.

- Calls for Kayne McLaggon to be given game time.

- An idea that we should be picking Simon Gillett and Lee Holmes ahead of Adam Lallana, who is only good for cameos.

077f5e420d896b1f4001e32babb84e17.jpg