9/11 - 102 Minutes which changed America

Um Bongo

I was in Burger King in Tottenham Court Road watching some tramp kicking in all the shop front windows. I thought that was quite exciting.

Then I got phone call and went back to office to watch on telly. I worked for a US Stockbroker back then and 1 person I knew was killed.

Well, to begin with, try reading authoritative, first-hand stuff before reading and trusting internet crap.

And sorry, but 'hard facts'. Are you joking?

If someone tried to cover 'every single thread' of the conspiracy nuts they'd end up as crazy as them. Most 'threads', such as they are, not even worth talking about.

Will the BBC do?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1559151.stm

Couldn't watch the programme and nor could I watch the programme about the last calls from the Towers shown on Sunday night. The image of the moment of the first tower collapsing is indelibly printed on my mind along with the knowledge that for many the world did change forever regardless of any subsequent actions or conspiracy theories.

Up until that first collapse we looked on in horror trying to comprehend the horror and carnage that these obvious acts of terrorism had caused and how many must have died in the immediate impact whilst moving our thoughts on to how the hell were they going to get the rest out especially those in the floors above the impact area. That first collapse answered those questions quite comprehensively and the rest of the day and weeks for me was a blur as we tried to cope with the day's responsibilities and planning to take on the work of our colleagues in New York.

If I'm honest I wish they didn't relive these scenes or consider it appropriate to play those tapes. It is absolutely right to mark the anniversary every year with a service of remembrance for those who lost their lives and to ensure they are not forgotten but for me some of this footage should be archived for another generation as I am not sure what purpose it serves other than add to the suffering of those most affected by the atrocity.

Perhaps Obama can make an immediate impact by simply abolishing the Labour Day holiday and replace it with an appropriately named 9/11 holiday so America and it's friends can never forget. Equally I have always been of the opinion that the 11th November should be a national holiday for us instead of some unrecognisable 'May Day' celebration. One thing is for certain TV documentaries that for some may serve as a shocking reminder and for others may seem gratuitious and ratings savvy are not the way to remember or move on from these insane acts.

What - the fact that 19 arabs, mostly of Saudi origin, of whom six are confirmed as being still alive, didn't fly the planes into those buildings?

The fact that the one man blamed most for the attacks by the US - the man who has never actually owned up to being responsible and is not actually on the FBI's most wanted list due to complete lack of evidence against him; the man who was staying at a US hospital in Dubai a short time before sept 11th 2001, has close business links to the Bush family and was actually trained by the CIA to fight against the soviets in the 80s - may or may not have been in Afghanistan at the time; and if he was, he was allowed to escape?

Sorry Delldays. I appreciate that you have played an active role in operations, and I genuinely don't want to turn this thread away from being a memorial for the horrors that the world witnessed that day, but to claim that 9/11 is the reason we are still in Afghanistan, just like the dodgy intelligence which justified the invasion of Iraq, is a complete and utter lie on behalf of all those involved.

What I am about to write are FACTS...they have NEVER been disputed by the wider international community..

Al Qeada HAD terrorist training camps in afghan

Al Qeada DID train people for 9/11 in Afghan

The Taleban DID harbour Al Qeada

Bin Laden WAS the main instigator behind it I dont think no one has ever said Bin Laden was solely to blame...

The Taleban DID warn the USA of the attacks before they happened...reason being, they knew what would happen as a result.

Many Nations are in Afghan right now that would not consider anything in any other circumstances...

those are just some facts that have never been disputed by the wider international community and why alot of countries are in afghanistan today fighting..

No fatuous comments? Now what do I do?

Of course 9/11 was a tragedy - many hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians fewer died there than in Iraq, but still...

But it doesn't mean, eight years after the event, that we have to be overly reverential - or censorious about discussing the fallout since.

Verbal are you asking us to define a tragedy? I agree many more have died in Iraq and allegedly under false pretences but I doubt very much that a book has been written as fact on the intelligence America and it's allies had to justify their actions - strictly classified would be my guess. Perhaps in Iraq's case it was just to overthrow a despotic and evil dictator and release it's citizens from his evil tyranny. Not a bad objective and hopefully a step in the right directon but tbh I am no expert whatsoever but believe the world is a better place without Saddam. What next - North Korea?

Although in terms of loss of life as a consequence the two towers atrocity I have no doubt you see it as a mere blip compared to other tragic 'mass murder' events it was iconic and opened the eyes of the West to it's actual vulnerability. Iconic and tragic in the same way as the shootings of Kennedy, Martin Luther King and Lennon - all tragic and futile but just one loss of life.

In these matters you must be reverential and there is a time to ask the questions about the decision makers but it is not this week. Just like on the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month we don't discuss the strategies of war but merely the futility of it all and remember those who lost their lives indirectly or otherwise.

What I am about to write are FACTS...they have NEVER been disputed by the wider international community..

Al Qeada HAD terrorist training camps in afghan

Al Qeada DID train people for 9/11 in Afghan

Bin Laden WAS the main instigator behind it I dont think no one has ever said Bin Laden was solely to blame...

The Taleban DID warn the USA of the attacks before they happened...reason being, they knew what would happen as a result.

Many Nations are in Afghan right now that would not consider anything in any other circumstances...

those are just some facts that have never been disputed by the wider international community and why alot of countries are in afghanistan today fighting..

Indisputable.

Verbal and others would do well to remember that just because it's in a book it does not mean anything other than it's the author's one sided take on proceedings. So i have no doubt Ahmed Rashid and Laurwence Wright's books are informative opinion but they are not authoriative and the only files that can really tell us the reason's why are the intelliegence files of America and it's allies and they won't be on sale in Waterstones just yet.

If Rashid had links to OBL do you think OBL was stupid enough to tell him the reality or perhaps used Rashid to peddle the message he wanted the West to hear?

Indisputable.

Verbal and others would do well to remember that just because it's in a book it does not mean anything other than it's the author's one sided take on proceedings. So i have no doubt Ahmed Rashid and Laurwence Wright's books are informative opinion but they are not authoriative and the only files that can really tell us the reason's why are the intelliegence files of America and it's allies and they won't be on sale in Waterstones just yet.

If Rashid had links to OBL do you think OBL was stupid enough to tell him the reality or perhaps used Rashid to peddle the message he wanted the West to hear?

Hmm. Quite bizarre, this. TDD's facts - and many. many more besides - attest to the source of the assaults, the planning, the history of the orgnaisation, the 'incubation' of Afghanistan, and so on. All true.

How on earth do you jump from that to the wild assumption that Ahmed Rashid has 'links' with OBL? Or that Rashid 'peddled' OBL's message. If you knew anything about Rashid, you'd know that OBL's henchmen have made several attempts to kill him. What counts as 'facts' in this affair, as much as any other, is the reputation of those who go out and source them, then write about them.

Wright and Rashid, to name but two, are right up there. Really, you just have to go and look.

And PLEASE, 19C, before winding up about someone you've never read, and clearly know nothing about, go to the bookstore and buy anything by either of them. You'll see what I mean.

So Bexy

Are you intimating that the americans were behind the twin towers incident?

and good old Binnie ladan is innocent?

I know you have your views but check out the facts re al queda and afghanistan.

I remember exactly where I was that day. And for me it was a very long day

being an RSM and the security matters that day and the following day, not to forget the two rememberance parades I had to organise one on the friday and one on the sunday (Drumhead service)

9/11 is well and truly etched in my mind.

I remember watching CNN on t'Interweb at work as both the BBC and ITN news channels failed due to network traffic. ( Was going to put that they 'crashed', but that would have been in poor taste ).

The additional 'unseen' bits just added to the surreal quality of the events; hundreds of people just standing in Times Square staring at the big screens in shock. Then we got the predictable 'we should go in and kill all the Arabs now' reaction, together with a couple of scenes that seemed to show 'innocent' people being attacked on the sidewalk for no apparent reason, other than possibly retribution.

Also watched bits of Flight 93, and found the launch of the air defence ( defense ?? ) flights mildly amusing; one pair fighters went off in completely the wrong direction, and the other was launched unarmed - cue desperate calls for authority to 'ram and eject' when engaging the hijacked planes.

I still think the most telling visions of that day were the clips of dubyah, sitting in a primary school and looking completely brain dead, ( nothing new there though ), as the unfolding events were relayed to him.

Edited by badgerx16

Baj, you're embarrassing yourself (as one is prone to do if even remotely you buy into this garbage)

Did you click on the 'update' link below the article - originally written incidentally, just 12 days after the attacks?

Please - go and have a look, and then come back and tell me how this possibly stands up as a 'fact'.

If you can't bear to look, here's just the last paragraph.

"We recently asked the FBI for a statement, and this is, as things stand, the closest thing we have to a definitive view: The FBI is confident that it has positively identified the nineteen hijackers responsible for the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Also, the 9/11 investigation was thoroughly reviewed by the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States and the House and Senate Joint Inquiry. Neither of these reviews ever raised the issue of doubt about the identity of the nineteen hijackers."

I remember by Grandad picked me up from school when I was 15. My brother was already in the Car and as soon as I opened the door they both told me what happened. I simply went "That isn't funny" and it took them a good 5 mins to convince me. My grandad had the radio on and I remember thinking "Oh I'm sure it's not that bad" and then I saw something on the TV that actually left me stunned. I actually could not believe what I was seeing, it seemed 'other-worldly'. Being a bit of a history buff, I always wished to be 'part of history' but never in a million years did I think it would be something as horiffic as that.

The Taleban DID warn the USA of the attacks before they happened...reason being, they knew what would happen as a result...

So the Taliban give the Americans the heads up yet still they go to war on them ?

Shame that deal between the two of them for the pipeline did not go through then maybe bin laden would be in an American jail and thousands of lives may have been saved, could/can it really be that simple ?

So the Taliban give the Americans the heads up yet still they go to war on them ?

Shame that deal between the two of them for the pipeline did not go through then maybe bin laden would be in an American jail and thousands of lives may have been saved, could/can it really be that simple ?

the Taleban DID give america the 'heads up'

not long before sept 11 the yanks were in talk with the Taleban about a deal regarding some sort of pipeline running through afghanistan..

However, the americans also knew that Alqeada had strong holds in that country etc etc...

the Taleban knew the outcome of such a devastating attack and tried to safeguard its own future...

not long before sept 11 the yanks were in talk with the Taleban about a deal regarding some sort of pipeline running through afghanistan..

However, the americans also knew that Alqeada had strong holds in that country etc etc...

And wasn't part of the agreement to hand over bin laden, however, an embassy was blown up and Clinton ordered a couple of air strikes IIRC and the deal was off, also IIRC all inteligence was handed over to the Bush administration

And wasn't part of the agreement to hand over bin laden, however, an embassy was blown up and Clinton ordered a couple of air strikes IIRC and the deal was off, also IIRC all inteligence was handed over to the Bush administration

something like that....well, I would not say handed over as intelligence services remain regardless of who is in power...

That was a day that changed all our lives forever and I am amazed that people dont agree with what we are trying to do over there.....

Afghanistan and Somalia were awash with terrorist camps

This is most certainly true. The US was lobbing cruise missiles at Al Qaeda training bases in Afghanistan after the African embassy bombings in 1998.

For those who missed it - you can watch it in full here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/102-minutes-that-changed-america/4od#2934610

13 minutes into the documentary - just watch & listen to the astonishing scenes of the 2nd tower being hit & the panic from those youngsters filming it from a nearby flat. Like me on that day (I sat & watched it all unfold live on TV - stunned & mesmerised) - I too thought that the world had gone crazy that day & earth was quite possibly coming to an end...

Edited by .comsaint

No fatuous comments? Now what do I do?

Of course 9/11 was a tragedy - many hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians fewer died there than in Iraq, but still...

But it doesn't mean, eight years after the event, that we have to be overly reverential - or censorious about discussing the fallout since.

I have no problem with that, in fact I’m always on the lookout after such tragedies for a half decent ‘sick joke’, but there is a time and place for everything.

This thread started respectfully, with posters remembering where they were at the time etc. and quickly degenerated into a slanging match between various parties, and childish comments.

I have no problem with that, in fact I’m always on the lookout after such tragedies for a half decent ‘sick joke’, but there is a time and place for everything.

This thread started respectfully, with posters remembering where they were at the time etc. and quickly degenerated into a slanging match between various parties, and childish comments.

not at all...no one is making any real childish comments..

part of remembering that day is also to remember why..? and how..? etc etc...to truely understand the magnitude and why 3000 people died...

do you not think..?

Having watched the loose changed video in a RE lesson at school, I remember someone shouting out after it "9/11 isnt that the american number for help, its all abit funny to me"

call it cleche or or just god damn stupid, that programme last night is deepingly tradgic.

I will never forget the images of people falling.

When it happened, was anyone in a pub in Brighton before the league cup game later that evening?

Surely nobody would have started drinking that early?

I remember listening to Radio5 and the presenter asking an anchor how it would affect the football fixtures, the anchor responded there is no way nobody in the Western world will be playing competitive sport tonight.

If I recall correctly though, the fixtures for the night after were canceled. Which seems a bit silly now, a bit unnecessary surely?

I wonder if anyone can provided answers to any of the questions below.....

(More to follow)

1. Why didn't jets intercept the airliners since they had numerous warnings of terrorist attacks?

2. Why did Ashcroft stop flying commercial, citing an unidentified "threat" in July 2001?

3. Why were there no photos or videos of the Pentagon plane?

4. Why didn't the Secret Service hustle Dubya out of the classroom?

5. Where was George H. W. Bush at the time of the attacks?

6. Why did passengers or crewmembers on three of the flights all use the term boxcutters?

7. Where are the flight recorders?

8. Why were the FISA warrants discontinued?

9. How did Bush see the first plane crash on live camera?

10 Why was security meeting scheduled for 9/11cancelled by WTC management on 9/10?

11. How did they come up with the "culprits" so quickly?

12. How did they find the terrorist's cars at the airports so quickly?

13. Why did Shrub dissolve the Bin Laden Task Force?

14. Why the strange pattern of debris from Flight 93?

15. Answered

16. How extensive was the relationship between the Taliban, the ISI and the CIA?

17. What exactly was the role of Henry Kissinger at UNOCAL?

18. When was it decided to cancel building a pipeline from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan to Pakistan?

19. When was the decision made to send the FEMA to New York?

20. Why did FEMA spokesman Tom Kenney tell Dan Rather he was in New York on Sept. 10?

21. Why did the FBI in 1996 close the files to investigate Osama bin Laden's relatives in Washington?

22. Why did .Bush stop inquiries into terrorist connections of the Bin Laden family in early 2001?

23. Who made the decision to have John O'Neill stop investigating Al-qeada accounts?

24. Who gave the decision to give him a security job at the World Trade Center?

25. Did John O'Neill meet anyone of the FEMA in the night of September 10th?

26. What about media reports that hijackers bought tickets for flights scheduled after Sept 11th?

27. Why did none of the 19 hijackers appeared on the passenger lists?

28. Why would devout Muslims frequent bars, drink alcoholic beverages and leave their bibles?

29. Why would the hijackers use credit cards and allow drivers licenses with photos to be zeroxed? 30. Why did the hijackers force passengers to call relatives?

31. How did the hijackers change the flight plan without law enforcement or the military try to stop them?

32. Which hijacker's passport was found in the WTC rubble? Who found it and what time?

33. How could the FBI distinguish between "regular" Muslims and hijacker Muslims on those flights?

34. Why was there not one "innocent" Muslim on board any of these flights?

35. Did someone go through the passenger lists looking for Muslim names and label them as hijackers? MOHAMMED ATTA

36. Did the Florida police provide information that Atta was searched because of 1)an expired Visa, 2) driving a car without a license, 3) because of an incident at Miami Airport?

37. Why did Atta leave his bag at the airport and the employees didn't put it on board?

38. Who found his bag? How can we be sure it it was his bag?

39. Why did Atta place a video "how to fly planes", a uniform and his last will into his bag, knowing that he would commit suicide?

40. Why did Atta leave his drivers license in a rental car?

41. When did Atta train on a flight simulator?

42. Did Atta leave the US while in training and then return?

43. Why did Atta decide to study at Opa Locka, a famous hub of 6 Navy training bases and includes government partners like U.S. Coast Guard Air Station, Police (Miami-Dade) Aviation Unit?

44. Why was Atta allowed to study since he was stopped by the police for driving without a license and also for violating his visa? THE BLACK BOXES AND CRASH VIDEO

45. Why were the Black Boxes never recovered ?

46. Why didn't the FBI release the air traffic controller's protocols?

47. Why did the FBI not release the Flight Data Recorder info?

48. Who video-recorded the first plane hitting the tower? Why did he disappear from the media? THE HIJACKERS

49. How did the FBI receive a tip from a passenger who boarded a different plane and reached his destination safely that he had a confrontation with two ME men at the Logan airport in Boston?

50. Who tipped the FBI to storm the Westin Hotel in Boston on September 12th?

51. Where did the photos of all 19 hijackers come from?

52. How were all hijackers identified just 2 days after the attack?

53. Why did all 19 names not appear on the passenger list 2 days after the hijacker list was released?

54. Why do none of the names appear on the passenger lists UA and AA gave to CNN?

55. How could the hijackers disable the defense systems?

56. Why did the FBI ignore Bin Laden's family, who left the United States without further investigation

57. What about the supposed hijackers who are still alive?

58. Was there a reason to change the list of the original 19 hijackers?

59. What happened to Ayub Ali Khan and Mohammed Jaweed Azmath, who have been in jail since September 2001, because of possession of box cutters on a train?Who gave the tip to arrest them? 60. Why did it take 4 months before Ramsi Binalschibhs name was mentioned, since he was a good friend of Mohammad Atta and lived in his apartment in Hamburg?

A surprising number of those questions are addressed in The Looming Tower. I'm really not Wright's agent (!) but it should be required reading for ANYONE interested in the background to 9/11.

Some of your questions are just wrong. although for understandable reasons. I can't remember the exact detail, but my recollection is that the reference to boxcutters from first-hand recorded comments by the passengers themselves only came from one flight - 77 (the one that flew into the Pentagon.)

There's a bit of a backstory to the boxcutters. The airlines like the idea becase boxcutters were not at that time illegal if carried onto planes. Knives, on the other hand...

I made a film about Flight 11 for the History Channel in the US and for Five here, and have listened to all the recordings made from that flight, from flight attendants to passengers. There was no reference to boxcutters. Nor did the hijackers wear headbands. Nor did the hijackers tell the passengers what they were doing. Nor did the majority of passengers even know the plane was hijacked - right up to the moment the plane crashed. All this is based, as I say, on listening to the recordings and talking first-hand to people like the wife of the captain that day, the AA ground controller in more or less constant phone contact with one of the hostesses, and spouses of passengers.

I'm not one for conspiracies, but the evidence for the plane hitting the Pentagon doesn't add up..

Google 'Popular Mechanics'. They devoted a whole issue and a subsequent book to the questions that supposedly 'don't add up'.

Again, it's always not a bad idea to listen to what real and dispassionate experts say, rather than the loony tunes chorus on the www.

is it me? am i just a trusting soul? or did anybody else (on september 11) witness 2 hijacked planes hit the twin towers which subsequently collapsed, see the evidence of another plane crash into the Pentagon and the debris of another in a field in Pensylvania, and believe it all happened in a terrorist attack and not believe in some cack and bull story involving cover ups and conspiracies?

Google 'Popular Mechanics'. They devoted a whole issue and a subsequent book to the questions that supposedly 'don't add up'.

Again, it's always not a bad idea to listen to what real and dispassionate experts say, rather than the loony tunes chorus on the www.

You don't do yourself any favours by refering to them as 'loonies', in fact you might be considered from an outsiders perspective to be as equally closed minded as the 'theorists' that you ridicule.

Are the pilots for 9/11 truth a bunch of loonies too?

You don't do yourself any favours by refering to them as 'loonies', in fact you might be considered from an outsiders perspective to be as equally closed minded as the 'theorists' that you ridicule.

Are the pilots for 9/11 truth a bunch of loonies too?

So did you read the BBC article in that link? Care to revise your opinion?

I have no doubt that this debate is essentially driven by some deeply paranoid people, so 'loonies' is a pretty good term I think.

You should try engaging with these people. When my film on flight 11 went out, I was accused by 'truth-speakers' who published my address and phone number of being an 'Israeli Psyops officer'.

Quite funny really. And loony.

Interesting site, and does answer a number of simple questions, but why isn't there any video evidence of the plane hitting the Pentagon? One of the most heavily guarded building in America..

Don't expect you to answer ;)

Interesting site, and does answer a number of simple questions, but why isn't there any video evidence of the plane hitting the Pentagon? One of the most heavily guarded building in America..

Well, the short answer is I have no idea because I haven't looked. (I know a fair bit about Flight 11 but not 77) But when these kinds of questions come up, it's not a bad idea to start from the supposition that the assumption behind the question is itself questionable.

So rather than 'why no video evidence', how about 'is there any video evidence?'

This is one of those stories where - hardly surprisingly - a lot more is known by officials of various kinds than is 'out there' in the public domain. This is usually for mundane, non-conspiratorial reasons - like the fact that 9/11 is still an open criminal investigation. (No one with a proven direct connection to the attacks has ever been put on trial. The idiot Zacarius Moussaoui doesn't count!)

I wonder if anyone can provided answers to any of the questions below.....

(More to follow)

1. Why didn't jets intercept the airliners since they had numerous warnings of terrorist attacks?...They were not notified within the time frame that they should have been for some reason

3. Why were there no photos or videos of the Pentagon plane?....There were but they were confiscated by the FBI within 15 mins IIRC, one exists but does not show a plane ?

4. Why didn't the Secret Service hustle Dubya out of the classroom?.....His reaction was strange when told of the second plane imo

5. Where was George H. W. Bush at the time of the attacks?.....In the classroom then up in AF1, then in a bunker in Alaska(i think) wasn't he ?

18. When was it decided to cancel building a pipeline from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan to Pakistan?....When Al Qaeda blew up an American Embassy

???

That is one of the most suspicious things about 9/11.

My guess is that the CIA don't want people to see their building get blown apart. That may be because Israeli robots were flying the plane, or simply because they don't want people to see the interior of the Pentagon or their people get burned alive. I doubt the CIA are bothered that a few internet nerds don't believe them.

That is one of the most suspicious things about 9/11.

My guess is that the CIA don't want people to see their building get blown apart. That may be because Israeli robots were flying the plane, or simply because they don't want people to see the interior of the Pentagon or their people get burned alive. I doubt the CIA are bothered that a few internet nerds don't believe them.

The CIA are not in the Pentagon. They're at Langley, Virginia.

And yes, Israeli robots were flying all the planes that day, and the passengers were dropped off at Area 51.

A surprising number of those questions are addressed in The Looming Tower. I'm really not Wright's agent (!) but it should be required reading for ANYONE interested in the background to 9/11.

Some of your questions are just wrong. although for understandable reasons. I can't remember the exact detail, but my recollection is that the reference to boxcutters from first-hand recorded comments by the passengers themselves only came from one flight - 77 (the one that flew into the Pentagon.)

There's a bit of a backstory to the boxcutters. The airlines like the idea becase boxcutters were not at that time illegal if carried onto planes. Knives, on the other hand...

I made a film about Flight 11 for the History Channel in the US and for Five here, and have listened to all the recordings made from that flight, from flight attendants to passengers. There was no reference to boxcutters. Nor did the hijackers wear headbands. Nor did the hijackers tell the passengers what they were doing. Nor did the majority of passengers even know the plane was hijacked - right up to the moment the plane crashed. All this is based, as I say, on listening to the recordings and talking first-hand to people like the wife of the captain that day, the AA ground controller in more or less constant phone contact with one of the hostesses, and spouses of passengers.

Verbal who is Wright and what connections does he have to make him such an authority on the subject? My guess it's nothing more that informed opinion as oppose to the real facts that will for sometime yet remain locked away from the public eye and rightly so.

You are obviously well informed but also in the programme making business and therefore governed by ratings as much as documenting the facts and it would take a series of considerable length to prove/disprove any theories and the reality is that won't be allowed to happen in our lifetime otherwise why have intelligence services?

Your views I suggest are skewed by the potential box office allure this atrocity affords programme makers and now I understand your role your position on 9/11 is put into context.

Two very good documentaries, although I thought last nights with the unseen footage was the most amazing. The things news crew will do to get a story - actually running up towards the WTC when everyone else was running away! Nutters! Plus the guy that had just cleared WTC 7 and was standing in its foyer - little knowing that later that day it, too, would be destroyed.

I remember 9/11 vividly. I was working on a passenger boat out of Windsor with a boatload of American tourists. The Romney lockkeeper burst out of his hut and told us. We kept quiet, we didn't want to ruin the tourists' holiday. We put the radio on the wheelhouse and listened to it, very quietly. Fortunately, an hour later I was done for the day, went home and watched the whole thing unfold on TV.

God bless TV.

Getting back to how this thread started.

I remember seeing the attacks on TV whilst at work and spending most of the rest of the day watching the live news broadcasts,strange thing that i remember is that after the first tower collapsed the phone virtually did not ring for the rest of the day.It just seemed like everyone was watching what was unfolding in front of them.

I got a chance a couple of years ago to go to New York and i stayed a couple of blocks away from the Trade Center site,it was then that after you have seen the site all dug out it gives a very real and moving feel for what happened there.

Also visited the memorial museum next to the fire house which was across the road from the WTC site.After visiting there you can start to understand how so few bodies were recovered when you see a hand gun that was recovered fused together with concrete from the building because the heat was so intense.But the main image i remember from there was a firemans bunker coat which was completely intact on the front yet sliced clean up the back where the force of the collapse had ripped it off him.

One thing is certain the world we lived in before that day is very different from the world we live in now.

is it me? am i just a trusting soul? or did anybody else (on september 11) witness 2 hijacked planes hit the twin towers which subsequently collapsed, see the evidence of another plane crash into the Pentagon and the debris of another in a field in Pensylvania, and believe it all happened in a terrorist attack and not believe in some cack and bull story involving cover ups and conspiracies?

Correct but you are not a programme maker with juicy documentaries to sell.

Verbal who is Wright and what connections does he have to make him such an authority on the subject? My guess it's nothing more that informed opinion as oppose to the real facts that will for sometime yet remain locked away from the public eye and rightly so.

You are obviously well informed but also in the programme making business and therefore governed by ratings as much as documenting the facts and it would take a series of considerable length to prove/disprove any theories and the reality is that won't be allowed to happen in our lifetime otherwise why have intelligence services?

Your views I suggest are skewed by the potential box office allure this atrocity affords programme makers and now I understand your role your position on 9/11 is put into context.

Honestly, you're a lazy b*gger. Do you not read ANY books? Go and find out who Wright is for yourself. (I'll give you a starting clue: he works for the New Yorker.)

As for the rest of your post - hilarious. Well done. You got me bang to rights.

Getting back to how this thread started.

I remember seeing the attacks on TV whilst at work and spending most of the rest of the day watching the live news broadcasts,strange thing that i remember is that after the first tower collapsed the phone virtually did not ring for the rest of the day.It just seemed like everyone was watching what was unfolding in front of them.

IIRC it was about 5pm over here, right?

As far as books go i would suggest reading Report from Ground Zero it is written by Dennis Smith a lifelong fire fighter with the FDNY and gives a very interesting and personal take on things from the attack on 9/11 and the rescue work after it.

Good book - but his 'Report from Engine Co 82' is better. He'd retired before 9/11, by the way, and was then making his living as a despicable journalist.

His description of the bodies of the 'jumpers' hitting the ground is truly horrifying.