Lethal injection,the best way?

saint lard

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8258062.stm

According to radio reports this morning the prisoner in question recieved over 18 puncture wounds and all in all it was a harrowing ordeal for all concerned as people frantically tried to get in an IV line.

Also this problem is becoming more prevelant during the execution procedure,again according to the radio report i heard.

Now, i don't disagree that his crime was dispicable and imo he deserves punishment,but i cannot imagine what was going through his mind......just get it done or please stop.

Now he waits a week.....to go through it again.

Some would say the more he suffers,good,just like his victim suffered when he carried out his crime on an innocent child.

One bullet costs about 13 cent. It would get the job done without all this drama.

Belarus is one of the few European countries still with the death penalty, and that is how it is done here; a bullet in the back of the head (or so I have been led to believe).

I wonder if you would still feel that way if (God forbid) one of your children were ever r*ped, tortured and murdered?

I probably wouldn't feel that way. However, I am also realistic enough to know that the last person you should ask about punishment is the victim, or victims family. They are clearly incredibly unlikely to give an answer free of emotion.

That's why judges/juries generally decide on the punishment.

Just lock them up without any chance of parole.

I understand this is a debate which run and run and run so I shall just give my opinion. I believe that in certain cases (Ian Huntley, Harold Shipman, etc) where there is not one iota of doubt about the person's guilt that the taxpayer should not be burdened with keeping them alive. I would much rather the government spent the less than 10p on a bullet for Huntley than the hundreds of thousands it will cost to keep him inside for the rest of his natural.

Oh, and if the f--ker wants to commit suicide, let him!

I'd love the job of an Executioner.

It wouldn't bother me emotionally one iota.

I wouldn't say I'd the job, but I could certainly do it and (as in the case above) would do so willingly.

Shouldn't have the death penalty at all. The is no "best way" of putting prisoners to death, they are all wrong.

Absolutely correct - not having a death penalty in this country separates us thankfully from those red necks in America that do. Living the rest of their lives in purgatory for their heinous crimes with 23 hours in a locked cell is probably a greater punishment than the chance to end it all.

The issue is not the death penalty ( too many miscarriages of justice for it to be warranted let alone living in a society that condones barbarous justice) but how prisoners are allowed to live out their life on Death Row or for any crime that carries a 'life' sentence. Having a sports day to raise morale at Broadmoor doesn't really meet what should be the remit for serving a life sentence for mass murder.

There are better ways to make criminals on the very margins of society pay for their crimes and it is not giving them a quick get out by a bullet in the head, a rope around their neck, a lethal ****tail in their viens or plugging them into the National Grid. Likewise, payment is not delivered by unlimited social contact with other cell mates, access to telephones, TVs, pool tables or ping pong. Life should mean life but no court should be able to play god and an innocent man can be brought back from purgatory but not hell.

I understand this is a debate which run and run and run so I shall just give my opinion. I believe that in certain cases (Ian Huntley, Harold Shipman, etc) where there is not one iota of doubt about the person's guilt that the taxpayer should not be burdened with keeping them alive. I would much rather the government spent the less than 10p on a bullet for Huntley than the hundreds of thousands it will cost to keep him inside for the rest of his natural.

I don't have time to go and find figures now, but it is generally accepted that it costs the state MORE to execute someone than to keep them in prison for life.

I don't have time to go and find figures now, but it is generally accepted that it costs the state MORE to execute someone than to keep them in prison for life.

Either way this is not a question of costs but ethics and do we want a society where a lynch mob wearing wigs that deluded by anger and outrage help convine a jury of blood letters send an innocent man to his death?

An eye for an eye and all that is as outdated as the time is was written. What next capital punishment Saudi style?

Thank god we live in a tolerant society where very rarely a heinous and replusive crime is committed. The person(s) pay the price and IMO at times have an easy ride (that needs to change) but that does not mean we should condone an act equally barbaric.

What would we do with near feral kids like we read about recently or the killers of little Jamie Bulger - get the crocodile clips out? We need to remember the behaviours are learned or some are simply criminally insane but the criminal psychologists and other experts can learn a lot from their gruesome crimes that may help prevention in the future or lead to earlier detection of potential mass murder so keeping them in purgatory for the REST of their lives may have a benefit.

But how many crimes/murders would be prevented due to the death penalty being a deterrent.

Impossible to answer, but even few saved lives would mean it would be worth it.

My guess is 0. These crimes are sick and disgusting, and I very much doubt the thought of any punishment doesn't enter the criminals head, whatever that punishment is. Some are spontaneous attacks, other the criminal thinks they will get away with it. The threat of the death penalty is unlikely to deter anyone.

38 states in the US have the death penalty, but I wonder what the difference in murder rate is between them and the UK? I imagine theirs is much higher.

On holiday in Florida we were watching the classic car parade at Old Town Kissimee. Walking past the fairground attractions on the way to the car my son and my little neice came over and asked if I had some quarters. I was digging deep and asked what they need them for.

Innocently, they said oh there is a man in a chair over there and if you put in the money you can watch him fry! I went and had a look at this 'amusement' and it was pretty sick to say the least 'put in a dollar and watch me fry', nice and suffice to say because of my niece's age we moved on and it wasn't until I explained why to my teenage and complaining son did he appreciate the 'oddness' of having it as an amusement.

Death penalty reduces crime? My guess it develops behaviours in children that killing can be acceptable and we are soon back to the public 'lynchings' of the white America in the 60s. No surprise I was in Florida then.

My guess is 0. These crimes are sick and disgusting, and I very much doubt the thought of any punishment doesn't enter the criminals head, whatever that punishment is. Some are spontaneous attacks, other the criminal thinks they will get away with it. The threat of the death penalty is unlikely to deter anyone.

38 states in the US have the death penalty, but I wonder what the difference in murder rate is between them and the UK? I imagine theirs is much higher.

This would be directly proportional to the size of the population I would imagine.

Lol at the limpy lefties on this forum.

Our prison's are full up and are taxes are pushed to the limit, why do i have to pay out for some lowlife scum that has no remorse and no feeling towards human life ??

It's like the human rights crap, i fully support it until someone commits a heinous act that completely contridicts it, from that moment on that person should not be able to use it's protection.

For all of the murderers, rapists and peodo's of which have been proven beyond reasonable doubt that they are responsible from their crimes should either be executed or just chucked into some dark hole somewhere and left to die, no food, no nothing, just left. Why look after them ??

As for all the happy slappers etc, send them off to iraq to do some community service, then watch them squirm.

it may well be..due to their country having 5 times the population

Do you really not understand what he meant?

"Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord."

Romans 12:19 (King James Version)

"I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die"

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues (At San Quentin)

No civilised society has a judicial system based on an eye-for-an-eye affair; and anyone who mentions cost to the tax payer when discussing sentencing is somewhat missing the point. I quite agree with Bungle, emotion should be not come remotely close to the system.

As for that chap in America, I know what he did was truly awful, but why is making him suffer now any better than what he did to his victim?

Do you really not understand what he meant?

"I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die"

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues (At San Quentin)

No civilised society has a judicial system based on an eye-for-an-eye affair; and anyone who mentions cost to the tax payer when discussing sentencing is somewhat missing the point. I quite agree with Bungle, emotion should be not come remotely close to the system.

As for that chap in America, I know what he did was truly awful, but why is making him suffer now any better than what he did to his victim?

Yes

Two words that should end all debate on if there should be a death penalty.

David Bentley.

If anyone of you get sentenced for a serious crime you did not commit - no amount of monetary compensation will return you from the Gallows.

If you think the situation in America is reasonable do you want us to bring back hanging in this country? Seriously? If we had it how many rights of appeal could you go through before sentencing is carried out? It would be worse than Death Row and actually reverse the purpose/effect you presumably hope to achieve. Perhaps it's your idea for the next saga of Reality TV.

Those who seem in favour come across as a baying mob of red necks without any argument other than 'hang em high' and 'make 'em pay', all very classy and I suggest you move to Saudi Arabia.

Those against are the 'Limpy left' are we? Politics doesn't come into it and all votes since it was abolished have not required the government of the day's majority to kick it out.

Two words that should end all debate on if there should be a death penalty.

David Bentley.

If anyone of you get sentenced for a serious crime you did not commit - no amount of monetary compensation will return you from the Gallows.

If you think the situation in America is reasonable do you want us to bring back hanging in this country? Seriously? If we had it how many rights of appeal could you go through before sentencing is carried out? It would be worse than Death Row and actually reverse the purpose/effect you presumably hope to achieve. Perhaps it's your idea for the next saga of Reality TV.

Those who seem in favour come across as a baying mob of red necks without any argument other than 'hang em high' and 'make 'em pay', all very classy and I suggest you move to Saudi Arabia.

Those against are the 'Limpy left' are we? Politics doesn't come into it and all votes since it was abolished have not required the government of the day's majority to kick it out.

Yep, some terrible miscarriages of justice have occured through the years, the death penalty is final, doesn't allow for the accasional ****-up and what I said above.

David Bentleys case was just ridiculous... he didn't murder anyone and it was clearly the other guy who led it all.

murder is murder is murder is murder, whoever commits it

its impossible to justify punishing someone with murder by killing them

im sure even the most reactionary here (and there seems a few) can see the contradiction

if capital punishment stopped crime, america would be the safest country on the planet...it isnt. not by a long way

I really don't like the fact that we are paying through the nose to keep murdering scumbags like Ian Huntley alive, living in comfortable conditions for the rest of their lives. The death penalty is something i'm in favour of, but only if there is solid evidence against the person. To kill an innocent person would be awful, and it is a huge flaw of the death penalty system.

RedAndWhite91 had a great point earlier, that one bullet costs 13c, compared to £40,000, which is the average cost per year of keeping a prisoner in the UK. This is completely ridiculous. I know people will argue about human rights, but tbh, I think your human rights are out the window when you needlessly take the life of another person, or commit an equally or slightly less serious crime. £40,000 is almost twice the average age of a UK citizen, so why are we paying for people with the life penalty to live out the rest of their lives? I know it might seem barbaric to some people, but a bullet in the head would solve a lot of problems very quickly indeed.

The best way is no way. I'd rather someone rotted in their cells for the rest of their lives. Murdering the murderer makes us no better than him/her and gives them an easy way out.

But no-one rots in their cells anymore.

3 meals a day, TVs, Computer games, pool tables etc etc.

Some have a better life than what they left behind.

That certainly isn't true of the worst offenders, many of whom spend a lot of time in solitiary confinement, denied the chance even to talk to another prisoner. No-one should "rot" in their cell, anyway, but I would say that sleeping in a room with enough space for a bed, a toilet and a sink isn't that great.

I won't open this up into a debate on what prison in general should be like, because that is just another can of worms.

murder is murder is murder is murder, whoever commits it

its impossible to justify punishing someone with murder by killing them

im sure even the most reactionary here (and there seems a few) can see the contradiction

if capital punishment stopped crime, america would be the safest country on the planet...it isnt. not by a long way

Exactly, I can remember New York before their mayoral reforms and the odds of being murdered in some districts were no better than 33/1. It wasn't the death penalty that cleaned up the streets.

Hatch you do have a valid point but it is not the case across the board as many are in solitary confinement and moved from prison to prison.

Hatch, the question to you then is if life in jail mean't life and jail meant not a version of the YMCA would you still support the death penalty?

As Bungle said the state of our Prison's and the influence it has on justice is another debate entirely and cannot be used as a justification for the death penalty. Given a reform of our prisons and sentencing would you drop all notion the death penalty is a good idea?

I would personally support the idea of the death penalty in certain cases. Namely rape and pre-meditated murder or mass homicide. Life in prison is just an expensive and completely pointless existance. Just sitting there playing scrabble and watching daytime TV for the rest of their lives.

And our prisons should be run by this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

I certianly wouldn't go bashing grannies and nicking their handbags if I was facing a couple of years in tent city wearing pink knickers.

I would personally support the idea of the death penalty in certain cases. Namely rape and pre-meditated murder or mass homicide. Life in prison is just an expensive and completely pointless existance. Just sitting there playing scrabble and watching daytime TV for the rest of their lives.

And our prisons should be run by this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

I certianly wouldn't go bashing grannies and nicking their handbags if I was facing a couple of years in tent city wearing pink knickers.

chain gangs etc..that prison was on a documentary and the guy who runs it has had a direct effect (where ever he has been) in reducing crime in his local area

Tokyo I have never seen the film but vaguely remember reading about it was Kevin Spacey in it?

Yes !

I struggle with this one tbh, some murderers are only initially convicted for one of the many crimes they commit, if they get the bullet families of their other victims may never know what happened, as at times confessions come further down the line.

Absolutely correct - not having a death penalty in this country separates us thankfully from those red necks in America that do. Living the rest of their lives in purgatory for their heinous crimes with 23 hours in a locked cell is probably a greater punishment than the chance to end it all.

The issue is not the death penalty ( too many miscarriages of justice for it to be warranted let alone living in a society that condones barbarous justice) but how prisoners are allowed to live out their life on Death Row or for any crime that carries a 'life' sentence. Having a sports day to raise morale at Broadmoor doesn't really meet what should be the remit for serving a life sentence for mass murder.

There are better ways to make criminals on the very margins of society pay for their crimes and it is not giving them a quick get out by a bullet in the head, a rope around their neck, a lethal ****tail in their viens or plugging them into the National Grid. Likewise, payment is not delivered by unlimited social contact with other cell mates, access to telephones, TVs, pool tables or ping pong. Life should mean life but no court should be able to play god and an innocent man can be brought back from purgatory but not hell.

Spot on. If they step over the line to commit the crime then they need to be removed from society for as long as possible. Whilst still being alive to realise what they have lost.

Have to say though that I would more than likely not be of this opinion if the culprit had murdered one of my own.

Spot on. If they step over the line to commit the crime then they need to be removed from society for as long as possible. Whilst still being alive to realise what they have lost.

Have to say though that I would more than likely not be of this opinion if the culprit had murdered one of my own.

So basically you can't really have a real opinion unless it has happened to one of your own or someone very close. In the mean time we go on footing the bill while they watch tv, play sports, have 3 meals a day etc, great.

No sympathy for the guy at all, deserves all he gets.

I think the death penalty is a good idea, but only in extreme cases, mass murderers etc and where there is no doubt at all of guilt. I just cannot see the point of spending a fortune keeping someone like Myra Hindley inside for their whole life, they are worthless so should just be done away with.

I don't think it's important if it doesn't act as a deterant, or if the person can be rehabilitated, it's about justice - criminals getting what they deserve and the victims getting what they deserve.