League 1 Minus 10 - blog

L1Minus10

Thanks Billy, another great season of blogs. I would have thought The measure of progress for JWP would be the boos that rang around at the end of the season when he got subbed, at the start of the season a section were booing him when he came on! Funny lot our fans.

• 2 weeks later...

This is proper good.

I wouldn't be suprised if it went something like this:

Saints to Van Dijk: Did you actually say this?

Van Dijk: No. They're lying.

Saints: Would you put that in writing?..

Van Dijk: Yes. Here you go.

Saints to Liverpool: Here's what we have.

Liverpool: F***. Better apologise.

Probably went something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It won't be a European SUper League, it will be a World Super League. And they can all go and play with each other. The sooner the better and leave football to the rest of us. Integrity of competition and a level playing field is far more important to me than having the "best" players in the league, for as it stands, we can't afford the best and cannot compete with those who can.

Wrote my opinion on this subject last year. As I see it, is that unlike american sports where there is a clear separation between the development leagues (college level) and the elite leagues, in football they are the same as the development leagues (club football) have taken power over what was once the elite level (FIFA and international football). The solution to turn football back into a competitive sport with a level playing field and away from the circus freakshow it has become is to reestablish that separation.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57108-Losing-Interest&p=2399656#post2399656

I haven't got a problem with the money, players in the american leagues or top tennis and golf players make even more. The problem I have with football these days is that much of the money is going to a small number of elite clubs. Not only does this cartel hoard all the best players but worse still, they use their influence to fix the rules even more in the favour. Football is becoming less a competitive sport and more of a circus, obviously since a competitive sport has to be unpredictable and that is bad for making money.

FIFA are worse than just corrupt, they are incompetent. The big club cartel wrestling the power to rule the sport away from them doesn't do anyone any good, least of all FIFA. And yet FIFA could put an end to it if they got their act together. The big clubs in themselves don't have any real power, that power comes from TV money and corporate sponsorship, which they only get because the big name players play for them. The power lies with whoever gets the big name players to play for them, take them away and so does the money and power. So if FIFA were to create a world league played every week with all the top players contracted to FIFA to play exclusively for their national teams we would have a competitive sport at the elite level as well as a more level playing field at the club level. It will be more like it used to be with international football back at the pinnacle of the sport and clubs as local community assets. Fans in other countries would get to see their top players playing at home and a mediocre rich country couldn't just buy the best players from a better poorer country like clubs do now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...