League 1 Minus 10 - blog

L1Minus10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I try not to follow the herd mate and say what I see. it's an opinion piece after all. I said he played well in the first half, which he did.

I must say, while he has made some catastrophic blunders, and the pairing of him with Vestergaard seems odd as neither have any pace, I think Hoedt has played decently from time to time. But some people won’t let it go that he is the worse player to ever play on these shores. One dodgy clearance seems to be all anyone needs to ignore any other good pieces of play from him.

I must say, while he has made some catastrophic blunders, and the pairing of him with Vestergaard seems odd as neither have any pace, I think Hoedt has played decently from time to time. But some people won’t let it go that he is the worse player to ever play on these shores. One dodgy clearance seems to be all anyone needs to ignore any other good pieces of play from him.

He is average but then so are all our centre backs. Capable of good things but not for 90 minutes. Hoedt however is a **** with his social media protests. I haven't got time for that ****

He is average but then so are all our centre backs. Capable of good things but not for 90 minutes. Hoedt however is a **** with his social media protests. I haven't got time for that ****

Must admit I haven't seen those. Not sure I want to either as I'd probably have the same view of it as you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good write up as ever Glen but I think you need to check the sequence of the goals!! I was at the match and although it felt as if we were at times 3-1 down, we actually equalised to make it 2-2 :)

I'm not sure where Hoedt thought he was going and your criticism of him is fair but it was Yoshida who left Mitrovic totally unmarked for the first goal. How on earth we lost that game is still a mystery to me but when you have Cedric, Hoedt and Austin in the same team, things are going to happen and they're not normally good!! I am sure Hoedt will be a decent player in time - he looks comfortable on the ball and is strong and brave in the tackle. It's his decision making that requires attention. Once this is sorted I reckon he'll be good value.

We are desperately in the mire but I'm not sure sacking Hughes is the answer. I think the club is in a turmoil throughout and "The Southampton Way" has long vanished. Yes, he shouldn't keep picking Cedric and Austin but we do play some decent stuff and maybe a slice of luck wouldn't go amiss. However, the swingometer has been pointing towards relegation for the past two seasons and it will take one heck of a turn around to reverse the momentum.

• 2 weeks later...
Glenn. Your blog on Puel from May 2017 has just been quoted on TalkShyte, by Geoff Peters, who is one of their commentators and a Leicester fan.

He claims history is repeating itself.

Geoff contacted me on Twitter about it. Didn't hear it on Talksport but I have a large following in Leicester now :)

I only watched this one on TV as my Nipper and two grandsons were there and the Mob Phone is useful. Your overview as usual, is spot on Glen. Like you I am personally sick and tired of the blatant bias shown by referees(?) toward the more wealthy clubs. You summarise it excellently. Kompany's tackle was far worse than Hoijberg and the Ref bottles it then let's him get away with the tackle on McCarthy. Our penalty would have been given had it been Salah or Sterling. I can't see any change in the near future but the Euro League can't come fast enough for me. There's no 'fairness' in the FFP and no equality in the PL. A wealthy Plutocracy pulls all the strings.

Happy New Year to you and yours Glen.

Edited by hasper57saint
Syntax error

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How on earth we lost that game is still a mystery to me but when you have Cedric, Hoedt and Austin in the same team, things are going to happen and they're not normally good!! .

This comment after the Fulham game perhaps shows that Ralph also reads Billy's blog.

At the time ( just 2 months ago) I don't think that anyone disagreed with these comments .... yet now these guys have been / are being moved on some posters don't like it.

This comment after the Fulham game perhaps shows that Ralph also reads Billy's blog.

At the time ( just 2 months ago) I don't think that anyone disagreed with these comments .... yet now these guys have been / are being moved on some posters don't like it.

It's fear. A lot of people would rather have a proven ****e experienced player than giving a youngster a go who might be better but even if they aren't quite ready, they won't be much worse than the experienced guy. For example, Cedric is probably slightly better than Valery now but it isn't by much. Valery will be better than Cedric ever was if he's given games and continues to learn. Bednarek already proved better than Hoedt. Would Gallagher be worse than Austin? Doubt it...

It's fear. A lot of people would rather have a proven ****e experienced player than giving a youngster a go who might be better but even if they aren't quite ready, they won't be much worse than the experienced guy. For example, Cedric is probably slightly better than Valery now but it isn't by much. Valery will be better than Cedric ever was if he's given games and continues to learn. Bednarek already proved better than Hoedt. Would Gallagher be worse than Austin? Doubt it...
When Charlie Austin was the same age as Gallagher is now, Charlie was a very consistent and very effective Championship level striker - 28 goals in 40 games, 17 the season before, 20 the season after.

Gallagher nowhere near that standard, nowhere near. And the likelihood he never will be, having already had plenty of opportunities at that second tier level.

The notion that him being young therefore better is more lazy than your own "fear" theory you are offering up.

Austin comes off the bench: goal threat.

Gallagher off the bench: meh. Kid getting a run out before inevitable loan move.

Also, all the info this Jan pointed to us definitely trying to sign a front line right back. I wonder why?

cedric is miles better than the alternative RB to valery

cedric is miles better than the alternative RB to valery

Miles is stretching it. What specifically make him better? Marking and tackling weren’t Cedric’s strong point, regularly lost his man. Wing play, again, not brilliant - got up and down quite well but woefully poor at crossing the ball.

Honestly, I think Valery is significantly down on experience, but at least parity on ability and drive. He makes mistakes but he has also shown some excellent bits of skill and decent vision for a pass. Stop slating him.

Edited by Plastic

Miles is stretching it. What specifically make him better? Marking and tackling weren’t Cedric’s strong point, regularly lost his man. Wing play, again, not brilliant - got up and down quite well but woefully poor at crossing the ball.

Honestly, I think Valery is significantly down on experience, but at least parity on ability and drive. He makes mistakes but he has also shown some excellent bits of skill and decent vision for a pass. Stop slating him.

Cedric is miles better than no one/ramsay