using a phone abroad!

Pilchards

I've no idea if my iPhone will work in Marbella next week, I have unlimited text and Internet and that's all I want to use, Is it extra costs?

Cheers.

just got back from Italy, and the freebies were not included whilst abroad.

you also (normally) get charged for receiving calls as well as making them.

Best to give O2 a call to check though.

I know what I like to think but that's not the issue ;-)

I do recall the last time I used a phone abroad and a 5 minute phonecall cost me £15.

Never again.

Exactement! This is where phone companies are continuing to make big bucks...

Bunch a sh:ts. That said i understand that O2 are looking to scrap roaming charges if they haven't already...

Just discovered a service by Rebtel that is pretty good if you want to call mobile to mobile someone abroad...but that doesn't include you as yours isn't a Spanish sim...

Due to my job, I'm always abroad, in Paris as I type! The roaming charges on O2 and Vodafone were reduced recently for a short time, now back to normal charges, but only in certain areas in Europe.

You are charged extra to send messages and on calls, this varies upon your tarrif. You are also charged to recieve CALLS, this is because you are charged the roaming rates as the people calling YOU are calling an ENGLISH or UK number.

The charges do vary, but work on being charged around 50p EXTRA PER TEXT and around 18p PER MINUTE on calls recieved.

Hope this helps.

Simples ;)

Col, give me a shout if you're hitting Perto Banus at any point mate, that's where I live ;-)

Yeah sure, pm me your mobile number and I will meet you for a drink m8.

As for receiving phonecalls, as I run a mini business I'm gonna get some calls which are going to costs me I guess, if they talk into my voicemail when I turn the thong off will I still get charged?

All I want is to browse the web on my phone without it costing me a bomb.

If you want to use your iPhone abroad to browse the web, you have two options.

If you have a wi-fi connection, put you phone into Airplane Mode (From the settings button), and connect to the wi-i. You then won't recieve any calls, voicemails or texts.

The only other option is to use the data roaming as you would in the UK, but this is charged very heavily, and you will still recieve, and pay for, calls, voicemails and texts you recieve.

Simples :cool:

If you want to use your iPhone abroad to browse the web, you have two options.

If you have a wi-fi connection, put you phone into Airplane Mode (From the settings button), and connect to the wi-i. You then won't recieve any calls, voicemails or texts.

The only other option is to use the data roaming as you would in the UK, but this is charged very heavily, and you will still recieve, and pay for, calls, voicemails and texts you recieve.

fantastic advice.

cheers!

So it's option 3 then.

;-)

Why don´t you buy a spanish sim? A good one for calling England is MasMovil, They sell them in a shop called "The Phone House" it´s part of the British Carphone Warehouse chain. Calls to Britain are only 7ct a minute after an initial 35 ct connection charge.

Even to mobiles? How's the text costs?

Can you buy a foreign SIM card without a foreign address though?

I had a thought about opening a foreign bank account as I'm away so much, but like with many other things I wanted, I needed an address in that country.

I think you only need take your British passport with you to the shop, there are plenty of small independent phone shops here that will sell you one.

Also with some phone companies over here it is cheaper to buy their cheapest phone on offer rather than just a sim. For example movistar (who now own o2 i believe) sell a sim for 30 euros with 10 euros credit or a cheap 19.99 euro phone with 15 euros worth of credit on it.

Thats ok but you would have to get the phone unblocked after using it and Movistars data charges are high, their call rates aren't the cheapest either.

Sorry for the confusion but i meant that you buy the phone but put the card in your own phone and chuck the phone(or give it away?) and the bit about movistar is correct, but I was just using them as an example because their is a shop near me so I look in the window quite often and saw the good offer!

Sorry for the confusion but i meant that you buy the phone but put the card in your own phone and chuck the phone(or give it away?) and the bit about movistar is correct, but I was just using them as an example because their is a shop near me so I look in the window quite often and saw the good offer!

Where in Spain are you?