"Bootboy" doing well!

miserableoldgit

It has been well documented that Nige was more than willing to stay on.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/untoldstories/4350665.What_Saints_managers_were_paid/

Pearson signed a £300,000 a year deal when he arrived in mid-February 2008 with Saints nosediving down the Championship table and humiliated at lower division Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup. That was £100,000 less than Burley was on.

But the chairman who appointed him, Leon Crouch, insists Pearson would have accepted a lower salary when the contract was due to be renegotiated last summer.

Crouch was also happy to give Pearson an initial £300,000 contract as Saints had just received £250,000 compensation from the Scottish FA for Burley’s services at a time when Saints fans were getting increasingly restless with the former Ipswich manager’s results.

Former PLC chairman Lowe told shareholders at last December’s stormy AGM at St Mary’s that “we couldn’t afford” the salary Crouch had been paying Pearson.

But according to Crouch, Pearson would have accepted a lower salary to manage Saints in 2008/09 with a bonus to be paid if the club won promotion back to the Premiership.

Other sources close to Pearson have confirmed that the former England under-21 coach was desperate to continue the job he had started.

Bet he wouldn't have accepted the £60k Poortvliet was alleged to be on. Also just because we received £250k compensation from the Scottish FA for Burley given the perilious state of our finances wtf was Crouch doing blowing it all and more on Pearson who at the time wasn't exactly tested at this level and club management experience was a handful of games for Carlisle about 8 years ago when he nearly managed their exit from the football league all bar a minute or two of injury time.

The real question is when we appointed Pearson there must have been cheaper alternatives than Pearson (with more experience) who when offered £300k must have thought all his Christmases had come at once! Who was his agent? Very shrewd whoever it was.

Bet he wouldn't have accepted the £60k Poortvliet was alleged to be on. Also just because we received £250k compensation from the Scottish FA for Burley given the perilious state of our finances wtf was Crouch doing blowing it all and more on Pearson who at the time wasn't exactly tested at this level and club management experience was a handful of games for Carlisle about 8 years ago when he nearly managed their exit from the football league all bar a minute or two of injury time.

The real question is when we appointed Pearson there must have been cheaper alternatives than Pearson (with more experience) who when offered £300k must have thought all his Christmases had come at once! Who was his agent? Very shrewd whoever it was.

Probably would have taken the £4k a week we signed Paul Wotton on, but then Wotton is far more important to a CCC team than having a half decent manager.

What about the £750k a year SCW took home?

Or the £1.2m we spent on Morgan Schneiderlin.

And then there's Wotte, that was another £60k.

Probably would have taken the £4k a week we signed Paul Wotton on, but then Wotton is far more important to a CCC team than having a half decent manager.

What about the £750k a year SCW took home?

Or the £1.2m we spent on Morgan Schneiderlin.

And then there's Wotte, that was another £60k.

All money well spent with the possible exception of SCW but then that was more to do with a beligerant Redknapp than anybofy else IMO. Still, whichever way you look at it it was a coup getting SCW at the club and we blew the opportunity. Sometimes it's good to set the trend than simply follow and in Sports Science we could have learned a lot more than we did than the likes of old school Redknapp and Strachan oh and Mr I'm not Buying a Ticket.

As for Wotte I agree we should have paid him £120k from that start and I don't understand the JP appointment and Wotte proved his mettle in far more difficult circumstance than Boot Boy.

As for Wotton and Schneiderlin they have taken a while to prove themselves but now are making a contribution as valuable as Lallana who hasn't exactly set the world on fire until this season. Schneiderlin, like giving McGoldrick a 3 year contract may prove to be exceptionally shrewd.

If you don't have players you could pay a half decent manager £6m pa and it won't make one iota of a difference. If we wanted to employ the one person who saved us from relegation shouldn't we have employed Richard Wright a recruitment that would not have seen the light day had Boot Boy's 3 goalkeepers all got injured at the same time or are you suggesting he was so great he manufactured that event as well, as part of his grand plan?

Your argument doesn't stack up with hind sight let alone back then.

You'd have to be a fool to blame last years results on fotune and curses.

We we'ren't unfortunate not to win. We were disorganised in defence and toothless in attack. No matter how nicely you pass the ball around the middle of the park, you are never going to win games like that. I never walked away from a game last season thinking we were robbed.

I know you aren't blaming an actual gypsy curse for our home form, but at the same time it wasn't luck either. It was quite simply young, unprepared and poor quality players bottling it in front of an increasingly frustrated home crowd.

I wouldn't be so bold as to say Pearson would have kept us up, but he made a decent fist of doing a job with no money in his time here. We'd at least have put up a stronger fight with him in charge.

I dont think it was down to luck, but had we got a home win or 2 to go with our away form the experiment may well have done better.The fans at the games were superb and supportive and in the main understood why we were doing what we did.

The decision re NP is not down to LC appointing him IMO but just that RL had decided to tgo down his route whatever.Dont forget that whatever happened he was going to take the blame (he was still smarting from being outvoted in not bringing GH back, and untimately he got the blame for what followed)

We can now look back and not be so emotional about it, time will bring us back and we can then thrive as a club

All money well spent with the possible exception of SCW but then that was more to do with a beligerant Redknapp than anybofy else IMO. Still, whichever way you look at it it was a coup getting SCW at the club and we blew the opportunity. Sometimes it's good to set the trend than simply follow and in Sports Science we could have learned a lot more than we did than the likes of old school Redknapp and Strachan oh and Mr I'm not Buying a Ticket.

As for Wotte I agree we should have paid him £120k from that start and I don't understand the JP appointment and Wotte proved his mettle in far more difficult circumstance than Boot Boy.

As for Wotton and Schneiderlin they have taken a while to prove themselves but now are making a contribution as valuable as Lallana who hasn't exactly set the world on fire until this season. Schneiderlin, like giving McGoldrick a 3 year contract may prove to be exceptionally shrewd.

If you don't have players you could pay a half decent manager £6m pa and it won't make one iota of a difference. If we wanted to employ the one person who saved us from relegation shouldn't we have employed Richard Wright a recruitment that would not have seen the light day had Boot Boy's 3 goalkeepers all got injured at the same time or are you suggesting he was so great he manufactured that event as well, as part of his grand plan?

You can't help yourself can you. Earlier in the thread I asked for examples to prove a point - thanks for providing the first. Im sure it won't be the last.

I can't even be arsed to explain why that's wrong, but it is.