This Reading goal

Hatch

I'm surprised Coppell has said that.

You can guarantee that if the Reading players had said to the referee "hang on, what the hell are you doing? We've clearly not scored there", Coppell would have torn shreds into them at half-time and any player involved would probably be on the transfer list. The "win at all costs regardless of the repercussions" attitude is prevalent until the final whistle's gone, when nobody can then do anything about it.

Also, I'm pretty sure Boothroyd's said in the past that if a player cheated to win them a game, he'd be fine with that, so I've got no sympathy for him.

It's as if the linesman got confused about which way the teams were kicking. He obviously thought the Reading player was trying to clear the ball off the line, but they were the attackers......

Pretty shocking error, but yes the Reading players should have admitted it wasn't a goal. Pretty poor sportsmanship.

Fell sorry for Atwell, first season of Reffing in the top flight, ****ed that up big time!

Wasn't the referee's fault. He's believed the linesman is in the best place to judge whether it's crossed the line and hasn't factored in the linesman's abysmal lack of perceptive vision.

It's here. This won't be removed as Virgin have the rights to show highlights:

http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/Football/Championship/Headlines/0,,12555~1399711,00.html

Blimey, that was even worse than I thought.

A Reading player was trying to hook it back into play!

Does he honestly think he would try and stop his team scoring by attempting to clear it off the line?

:D:D

If this doesn't usher in video evidence, nothing will. There have been dozens of gaffs over the years, and at the end of a season, some clubs are promoted and some are relegated. the bullsh!t argument is that luck evens out over a season. Nobody wants luck; they want fairness. The League is disappearing up it's own backside in an attempt to avoid this problem, and they have suggested that the referee's decision is final. If that is the case, why are yellow and red cards removed..? The fact is, officials make mistakes. They can'r be relied upon to be 100%. So video evidence on questionable decisions should be on hand to settle the argument. End of story. And let's not have any rubbish about the refereeing official's mistakes adding to the atmosphere/game either..! A club's fortunes may depend upon a decision at the end of the season. let's hope it is the correct one, so the outcome can be deemed absolutely fair.

If this doesn't usher in video evidence, nothing will. There have been dozens of gaffs over the years, and at the end of a season, some clubs are promoted and some are relegated. the bullsh!t argument is that luck evens out over a season. Nobody wants luck; they want fairness. The League is disappearing up it's own backside in an attempt to avoid this problem, and they have suggested that the referee's decision is final. If that is the case, why are yellow and red cards removed..? The fact is, officials make mistakes. They can'r be relied upon to be 100%. So video evidence on questionable decisions should be on hand to settle the argument. End of story. And let's not have any rubbish about the refereeing official's mistakes adding to the atmosphere/game either..! A club's fortunes may depend upon a decision at the end of the season. let's hope it is the correct one, so the outcome can be deemed absolutely fair.

That's cr@p IMO. Football has survived this long without it. If you allow video replays for disputed goals where will it stop? Next it will be replays to see which player the ball came off, for a throw in etc. If they can put a microchip inside the ball that sets off a buzzer when it crosses the goaline then fair enough so long as it can be used in every match at every level. The great thing about football is the guys on a muddy pitch playing in some Sunday league game were playing to the same rules as the superstars in the Premiership, bring in video replays and its no longer the same game. As I said in my other thread, if people want 100% fairness go watch two people playing PES or FIFA where the computer never makes a mistake! Players make mistakes, officials make mistakes get used to it!

Fa charge Adrian Boothroyd with abusive and/or insulting words to the referee during match with Reading.

This was whilst he was protesting againt the awarding of the "goal" that wasn't.

Ok he should probably curbed his language,but i guess he was pretty incensed like anyone would be at the time.

I hope the FA show a little bit of common sense,i know you have to be respectful etc to the officials,but this is clearly slightly different from the norm.

The great thing about football is the guys on a muddy pitch playing in some Sunday league game were playing to the same rules as the superstars in the Premiership, bring in video replays and its no longer the same game.

Disagree, it doesn't effect amateur cricket that the pro's are able to use video technology.

That's cr@p IMO. Football has survived this long without it. If you allow video replays for disputed goals where will it stop? Next it will be replays to see which player the ball came off, for a throw in etc. If they can put a microchip inside the ball that sets off a buzzer when it crosses the goaline then fair enough so long as it can be used in every match at every level. The great thing about football is the guys on a muddy pitch playing in some Sunday league game were playing to the same rules as the superstars in the Premiership, bring in video replays and its no longer the same game. As I said in my other thread, if people want 100% fairness go watch two people playing PES or FIFA where the computer never makes a mistake! Players make mistakes, officials make mistakes get used to it!

Disagree, the linesmen in a sunday league match are usually better than those in a prem match as they are half drunk substitutes.

Don't agree with it in other sports either, the decisions should be made by the officials on the field and that includes overturning red cards as well. Trouble is its not about the sport anymore but always about how much prize money will that decision cost the aggrieved club if a dodgy decision causes them to finish 12th in the table instead of 11th etc. Any sport is bound to throw up controversial decisions now and again, that's the beauty of it, its fast(well most sports anyway) and people make mistakes.

Plus who says video replays are clear cut anyway? Remember Saints FA Cup visit to Old Trafford when we won on pens? Didn't Man U have a good claim for a goal in extra-time, when Tim Flowers clawed the ball away from the goalline! Despite Sky showing replays from about four different angles no-one could say wether the ball had crossed the line or not because someone was always in the way, and this was a time when Sky used to put a small camera inside the goal stanchon!

Football isn't cricket and If you take away controversy and talking points from football it will become even more staid and boring than its becoming already. Some people won't be happy until we are all sat down quietly whilst gently applauding when something remotely interesting happens.

As I said in my other thread, if people want 100% fairness go watch two people playing PES or FIFA where the computer never makes a mistake! Players make mistakes, officials make mistakes get used to it!

I have been given a penalty for a challenge my mate did on my 5 yards outside the area on PES. It does have the odd error in it which I find incredibly funny (and life like for that matter) providing it goes in my favour!

Disagree, it doesn't effect amateur cricket that the pro's are able to use video technology.

Also, don't forget that the pro cricketers only use the video technology when it's a featured game on Sky.

For all other county games, it's done on the opinion of the standing umpires alone.

Its just sad that the general sportsmanship is being eroded in football.

Surely the Reading players could have said it wasn't a goal. If I was a Watford player I'd be furious at the opposition for keeping stum.

Its just like Fergie getting upset about one of his players being badly tackled. Its almost a given if it was one of his players he would not seen the incident probably. Actually this goes for most managers.

Fa charge Adrian Boothroyd with abusive and/or insulting words to the referee during match with Reading.

This was whilst he was protesting againt the awarding of the "goal" that wasn't.

Ok he should probably curbed his language,but i guess he was pretty incensed like anyone would be at the time.

I hope the FA show a little bit of common sense,i know you have to be respectful etc to the officials,but this is clearly slightly different from the norm.

The incident where Aidy was sent to the stands was later in the match, when Watford got a throw-in, as the linesman showed correctly, then a Watford player picked it up and for no reason Attwell decided to give it the other way. The refereeing was unbelievably horrendous throughout the entirety of the game, let alone just the 'goal'.