35. Danny Seaborne

36. Gary Preen

38. Davis Connolly - Negotiating new contract

39. Aaron Martin

41. Alex Oxlaide Chamberlain

42. Ben Reeves

Ryan Dickson

-----------------------------------------------

After reading an article on the echo website a few days ago about Pardew looking to build a squad in the summer which would be able to get promoted out of the Championship, it got me wondering who everyone realistically thinks we should aim to sign.

At the moment my brain has gone for a walk but one which springs to mind is Gylfi Sigurdsson, a young Icelandic central-midfielder currently playing for Reading. Box-to-box and can take a decent set-piece. Has also chipped in with 11 goals so far this season.

- A striker with pace if we don't sign Papa. (Simeon Jackson)

- Tough tackling midfielder able to pass, and dictate play (Therry Racon)

- Centre Back & Right Back to replace Thomas/Perry if they go. (No idea at the mo)

- Attacking midfielder able to play in numerous attacking positions, with pace, goal scoring & passing ability (Neil Danns)

A new RB - that's the main position that has a question mark over it at the moment for me,

We need more cover in CM and we need to add competition for deano - as it's too easy for him to get into the team (that's not a criticism of him, but it's easy for him to take his place for granted atm). Someone of championship quality is a must, Danns/Stock.

Obviously we'd need to add cover in CB and probably another extra face in midfield, but i don't think we need urgent surgery - just 1 or 2 quality additions and we'll be fine.

Kisnobro from leeds to partner Fonte would be a ****ing immense back two. I also think Snodgrass is quaility although we are doing quite well for wingers. Midfield is our main weakness though I haven't seen anyone from other teams that stood out for me this season in that postion so who knows.

Definately Albert Adomah

A good prospect no doubt,but don't we already have a few wingers/speed merchants ?

Who would you release to make way for him,Papa,or Antonio bearing in mind we also have Puncheon ?

A central midfielder who can take the game by the scruff of the neck on Tuesday night away at Brentford, Exeter, Wycombe, etc.

A tough tackling holding midfield player. I just can't think of many in our price bracket so an undiscovered foreign gem will do.

That is the Alan Ball/Jimmy Case type I also referred to above,but a player we have been crying out for since 1991 (or whenever it was Branfoot came in and released Jimmy Case).

As a vague possibility,although nowhere near the AB/JC standard,what about Matt Oakley? Now experienced in L1/CCC with a couple of promotions and play off challenges behind him he might be the answer.

Although if he came back to us the likelihood is he'd become the injury plagued player he was with us before rather than the injury free midfield driving force he has been with Derby and Leicester!

OTS? Therefore positive move for Nathaniel Clyne at RB from Palace (is Argent going to make the step up) OX-Chamberlain, McNish,Preen, Reeves and a few other youngsters may make the break through?

As mentioned Matt Oakley could be our answer central Midfield.

If Milwall stay down...Morrison (always thought he had it at Stevenage when I saw him)as striker depending on if Connolly is going to play any football.

Dunne and Sercombe at Exeter are two very good midfielders...I believe Dunne was Arsenal youth and now making rapid strides.

Craig Noone Left winger/midfield at Argyle..very good youngster. I would say subject to McLaggons future..Recovering from leg injury or ever to regain his speed?

Edited by ottery st mary

Firstly we need to get rid of the deadwood - Wotton, Gillett, Perry, Thomson, Poke, Holmes, Lancashire, Forecast, Pulis, Molyneux, Gobern? White? McLaggon? Thomas?

Then make sure we keep Lallana, Morgan and Lambert.

And then we can make additions:

A new right back. (Still not sure about Semi, sounded like he struggled last night)

Stock, Lines or Danns.

Left/Right winger (Antonio?)

Pacy striker (Papa?)

Doddisalegend mentioned Patrick Kisnorbo above - I think that's a cracking shout. He's a very solid and reliable centre back who could be a brilliant player for us while Seabourne is finding his feet. If Leeds don't go up this season (which is looking more likely now as they're falling away from the automatic promotion slots), some players will be looking away to somewhere where they can get promoted. I would say that we're first call at port in that respect.

I think we have a good squad, although there are some players for whom I cannot see a future here. We need to start by sweeping clean the reserves of players who aren't good enough, so that involves bye-bye's for Pulis, Forecast, Molyneux and Lancashire. Then we need to take a look at some of the older players at the club, such as Perry, Jaidi, Murty and Connolly. I reckon these three could all still DAJFU, but we need to be realistic: are these players who can play regularly for us over the next few seasons? I'm not sure that Murty will ever play again, which is a shame as he looked quality in our first few games. Connolly I think we should keep on a pay-as-you-play, because he can be a very good role model for some of the younger players at the club, such as Jamie White, who reminds me of DC at times. Jaidi I think can do a job for another season at least, although we do need to be actively looking for replacements. Perry is a tricky one, as he's proved that he can still do the business when called upon, but he really is getting on now. Soon enough, his legs will be gone completely, and Jaidi and Fonte aren't exactly the most mobile of centre backs either. Personally, i'm of the opinion that we should let him go, as Pardew seems to put Seabourne ahead of him anyway, and we have Martin coming through the ranks too.

Then, the first team. While players such as Wotton, Otsemobor, Holmes and Thomas are good squad players at this level, I have my doubts about whether they can live up to expectations in the CCC. Remember, if we go up next season (or even this season), we will be challenging for a top half space in our first season, and promotion in our second. Wotton has hardly got many fans at this level, I dread to think how he'd be a level above. Personally, I think we should keep these players until we leave L1, then we can start re-evaluating our first team and picking out players who aren't good enough.

I think the positions that need strengthening most have got to be RB, CB and CM. We need a pacy RB who is also solid defensively, and I have my doubts about Otsemobor sometimes, as did the Norwich fans. I think a good shout would be Kerrea Gilbert from Arsenal, or if the money's right, somebody like Danny Simpson on loan from Man Utd for the season.

For CB, we need someone with a bit of pace on them, as we lack that at the moment. With Jaidi and Perry in their mid-30's, they won't be playing for much longer, so we also need to be looking at some more options. I love the idea of Patrick Kisnorbo coming here, he's someone who I suggested at the start of the season, as he was on a free transfer. That would need to be taken into account before we throw money at Leeds. Another player who I like is Carlisle's Peter Murphy. He didn't have the best of games in the JPT final (he was the one who gave away the penalty), but he did show glimpses of what he can do. He's a very good organiser and could DAJFU in the CCC imo. Another good option would be Andy Webster from Rangers, who's not wanted there and is very solid, and has Prem experience.

I think we're suited and booted mostly in CM with Hammond and Schneiderlin being our first choice pairing, but beyond them we have problems. I don't rate Gillett, Wotton and James very highly, and Puncheon and Lallana are too lightweight to be effective there. Some good options would be Gylfi Sigurdsson from Reading (as mentioned by somebody else previously in this thread), Lewis McGugan from Nottingham Forest and Nicky Bailey from Charlton. Any of these three players could improve our squad vastly, any I don't think that any of them are beyond us.

But regardless of the squad next season, I know that we have a fantastic manager in charge, a fantastic chairman and 'executive director' backing him, and fantastic fans to cheer the lads on at every game!

COYR!

Shaleum Logan, right back at Tranmere on loan from Man City, by far the best full back we have seen at St Mary's this season

Apologies to MarkR above, didn't see your post at first. We would be mad to let Waigo go and sign Jackson who is not half the player Papa is.

Edited by positivepete

Doddisalegend mentioned Patrick Kisnorbo above - I think that's a cracking shout. He's a very solid and reliable centre back who could be a brilliant player for us while Seabourne is finding his feet. If Leeds don't go up this season (which is looking more likely now as they're falling away from the automatic promotion slots), some players will be looking away to somewhere where they can get promoted. I would say that we're first call at port in that respect.

I think we have a good squad, although there are some players for whom I cannot see a future here. We need to start by sweeping clean the reserves of players who aren't good enough, so that involves bye-bye's for Pulis, Forecast, Molyneux and Lancashire. Then we need to take a look at some of the older players at the club, such as Perry, Jaidi, Murty and Connolly. I reckon these three could all still DAJFU, but we need to be realistic: are these players who can play regularly for us over the next few seasons? I'm not sure that Murty will ever play again, which is a shame as he looked quality in our first few games. Connolly I think we should keep on a pay-as-you-play, because he can be a very good role model for some of the younger players at the club, such as Jamie White, who reminds me of DC at times. Jaidi I think can do a job for another season at least, although we do need to be actively looking for replacements. Perry is a tricky one, as he's proved that he can still do the business when called upon, but he really is getting on now. Soon enough, his legs will be gone completely, and Jaidi and Fonte aren't exactly the most mobile of centre backs either. Personally, i'm of the opinion that we should let him go, as Pardew seems to put Seabourne ahead of him anyway, and we have Martin coming through the ranks too.

Then, the first team. While players such as Wotton, Otsemobor, Holmes and Thomas are good squad players at this level, I have my doubts about whether they can live up to expectations in the CCC. Remember, if we go up next season (or even this season), we will be challenging for a top half space in our first season, and promotion in our second. Wotton has hardly got many fans at this level, I dread to think how he'd be a level above. Personally, I think we should keep these players until we leave L1, then we can start re-evaluating our first team and picking out players who aren't good enough.

I think the positions that need strengthening most have got to be RB, CB and CM. We need a pacy RB who is also solid defensively, and I have my doubts about Otsemobor sometimes, as did the Norwich fans. I think a good shout would be Kerrea Gilbert from Arsenal, or if the money's right, somebody like Danny Simpson on loan from Man Utd for the season.

For CB, we need someone with a bit of pace on them, as we lack that at the moment. With Jaidi and Perry in their mid-30's, they won't be playing for much longer, so we also need to be looking at some more options. I love the idea of Patrick Kisnorbo coming here, he's someone who I suggested at the start of the season, as he was on a free transfer. That would need to be taken into account before we throw money at Leeds. Another player who I like is Carlisle's Peter Murphy. He didn't have the best of games in the JPT final (he was the one who gave away the penalty), but he did show glimpses of what he can do. He's a very good organiser and could DAJFU in the CCC imo. Another good option would be Andy Webster from Rangers, who's not wanted there and is very solid, and has Prem experience.

I think we're suited and booted mostly in CM with Hammond and Schneiderlin being our first choice pairing, but beyond them we have problems. I don't rate Gillett, Wotton and James very highly, and Puncheon and Lallana are too lightweight to be effective there. Some good options would be Gylfi Sigurdsson from Reading (as mentioned by somebody else previously in this thread), Lewis McGugan from Nottingham Forest and Nicky Bailey from Charlton. Any of these three players could improve our squad vastly, any I don't think that any of them are beyond us.

But regardless of the squad next season, I know that we have a fantastic manager in charge, a fantastic chairman and 'executive director' backing him, and fantastic fans to cheer the lads on at every game!

COYR!

Sorry, had to pick you up on the Fonte not being mobile comment. That's completely wrong. He's deceptively quick off the mark (not to mention his excellent reading of the game) & certanly isn't slow with his long striding acceleration. He had the MK Dons attackers in his pocket, beating them continually for pace. He's the most mobile centre half I've seen in a long time & I rate him as our best centre half since Svensson.

My shout for a player (unachievable) would be the type of player like Guthrie. Like a better Hammond. We've been crying out for a ball winning midfielder in the Carlton Palmer/Viafara mold. A ball winning lynch pin to break up the oppositions play. He doesn't need to be the most visionary/ball playing footballer (though would clearly help!) but it would compliment Morgan & benefit our squad more than any other position. It's what the entire squad lack, ball winning, middle of the park grit. Bringing every other position into play. You can't get worse than Wotton & the difference it would make would galvanise our entire squad (then add a good right back with Semi taken on for competition).

Sorry, had to pick you up on the Fonte not being mobile comment. That's completely wrong. He's deceptively quick off the mark (not to mention his excellent reading of the game) & certanly isn't slow with his long striding acceleration. He had the MK Dons attackers in his pocket, beating them continually for pace. He's the most mobile centre half I've seen in a long time & I rate him as our best centre half since Svensson.

My shout for a player (unachievable) would be the type of player like Guthrie. Like a better Hammond. We've been crying out for a ball winning midfielder in the Carlton Palmer/Viafara mold. A ball winning lynch pin to break up the oppositions play. He doesn't need to be the most visionary/ball playing footballer (though would clearly help!) but it would compliment Morgan & benefit our squad more than any other position. It's what the entire squad lack, ball winning, middle of the park grit. Bringing every other position into play. You can't get worse than Wotton & the difference it would make would galvanise our entire squad (then add a good right back with Semi taken on for competition).

Agreed. Fonte is pure class. He is so important to us and does an incredible job. I don't think pardew will add another centre half to the squad in the summer as I think that Seaborne will be a bigger part of the team in the future. Midfield has to be addressed and if the Connolly situation doesn't improve then a Striker of CCC quality will need to be brought in. Billy Paynter????

Agreed. Fonte is pure class. He is so important to us and does an incredible job. I don't think pardew will add another centre half to the squad in the summer as I think that Seaborne will be a bigger part of the team in the future. Midfield has to be addressed and if the Connolly situation doesn't improve then a Striker of CCC quality will need to be brought in. Billy Paynter????[/QUOTE]

Would probably be good but unlikely as Swindon look set to go up.

RB- Moritz Volz is without a club ATM

Another CM- Gotta be Danns if Palace go down

Right Wing- Sign Antonio + Waigo

Then sort out who's staying/leaving out of the fringe players or those out of contract:

Connolly: Keep for 1 more season

Jaidi: Same

Perry: Coaching role?

Murty: let him go

Semi: Short deal? 1 year

Thomas: Tricky one........maybe 1 more year but slash his wages by half

Wotton: BYE!

Holmes: Don't think he will ever be a regular here, time to move on

Mcglaggon: Same as above, shame as he was a bright spark last season

If Connolly doesn't stay then a striker on loan for 6 months from the prem/championship.

Adel Taarabt

good player, but completely the wrong type of midfielder we need.

we have lallana and punch to fill that role, as people have said above we need a commanding CM, a been there done it type figure.

Lee Carsley is a good shout IMO.

We need to get a proper left winger in to bring total balance to the team and I would not shed any tears if we sold Lallana as I dont think he brings ENOUGH to the team!

other than 16 goals and 7 assists?

we'd be worse off if we did sell him and anyone who says otherwise is slightly bonkers imo.