England v Germany

Um Bongo

Bring the ****z on, this is the game we needed to bring out our best IMO.

No point in just poncing through the whole tournament, we need a test. If we fail it then so be it, but if we win it then it should set us up.

Rooney needs a few days off before sunday, he is jaded.

Bring the ****z on, this is the game we needed to bring out our best IMO.

No point in just poncing through the whole tournament, we need a test. If we fail it then so be it, but if we win it then it should set us up.

Rooney needs a few days off before sunday, he is jaded.

For a game against the Argies.

If England's overpaid prima donnas cannot motivate themselves for this one then they don't deserve to be there.

Despite all the plaudits after their thrashing of Australia, the krauts do not look invincible, as Serbia's result against them proved. However the Germans always appear able to control a game and raise it a gear, just wonder if we can ?

If England's overpaid prima donnas cannot motivate themselves for this one then they don't deserve to be there.

Despite all the plaudits after their thrashing of Australia, the krauts do not look invincible, as Serbia's result against them proved. However the Germans always appear able to control a game and raise it a gear, just wonder if we can ?

Remember, now it's at the knockout stage, the Germans have a 1/2 goal advantage. NO-ONE beats the Germans at penalties.

One thing that I enjoyed immensely this afternoon was hearing all that singing, about 40 of us at work were singing Rule Brittania with them.

Sunday will be even better and I shall be drinking with like-minded football fans (and some women) from before kick off until I cannot physically go to the toilet for a wee without assistance.

Kick off is at 3.

Tf I read that. I had agrred to take the mother-in-law to newbury. Won;t have to take her now, I probably won't leave my bef until about 1 o'clock, just in time for a **** off roast dinner before stomping down to the pub for a 4-pint jug (only £9.99) of Pride and see how the day progresses.

and staggering home

If this match is not shown at Glastonbury there will be a lot less of this Eavis bloke than there was previously...

me and mrs h keep saying that we will do glastonbury. what is the cheapest but cleanest way to go about it. W

/\

4pm

I quite like this site but all the conotations can do your head in:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/kostage.html

At least it is half filled out!

We need Brazil to finish first in their group (1G), and Spain to finish 2nd (or lower!) in their group (2H), otherwise England's route to the final could well be:

Germany - Argentina - Spain/Brazil

NZ free to air TV is carp, they have not shown any England games live, only a few minutes of highlights. They are NOT going to show Eng vs Germs either.:x

It isn't on NZ SKY either according to the prog guide.

After looking again it might be on SKY after all, but not 100% a given.

Edited by Saint in Paradise

The Germans seem to have two great players who will cause us problems. Lahm & Klose. If we can close down Klose and keep Ozil quiet up front and keep the ball on the other side of the defence from Lahm we could do this.

3 teams struggled to get out of their groups so far, Germany, England and Italy. One of those 3 on previous is likely to make the final (seems to me teams that always struggle in the group stages = winners last 3 or 4 WC's)

Oh and lol at the kids - their flight lands at Heathrow at 2:30pm Sunday. Anyone know anywhere in Arrivals or Departures that shows the games in Terminals 1 through 3?

Confidence should be high - England have the experience on their side, Germans young side that will be better in 2-4 years time so England should be hopeful of a good win...if they play well. Possibly Schwiensteiger out + Ozil limped off at end of game, no Ballack and Rollfes so no better time to play em and win.

No doubt all the crap cliches will be out in force, ****** about the 'war' that finsihed 65 years ago, that is frankly embarrassing... but until thta crappy England band learn a new tune or two, its all we will bloody hear....

No doubt all the crap cliches will be out in force' date=' ****** about the 'war' that finsihed 65 years ago, that is frankly embarrassing... but until thta crappy England band learn a new tune or two, its all we will bloody hear....[/quote']

I'm sure we'll get a cringeworth chorus of 'Ten German Bombers' as well!

Well, at least there will be no need for a rousing team talk from fabio to motivate the players. Beckenbauer seems determined to do it for him!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/england/7850966/England-burnt-out-and-stupid-to-be-facing-Germany-now-says-Franz-Beckenbauer.html

C'mon Franzy, get some more insults out into the media, you know you want to. How about something cliched about das Rost Bouef or something

Well, at least there will be no need for a rousing team talk from fabio to motivate the players. Beckenbauer seems determined to do it for him!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/england/7850966/England-burnt-out-and-stupid-to-be-facing-Germany-now-says-Franz-Beckenbauer.html

C'mon Franzy, get some more insults out into the media, you know you want to. How about something cliched about das Rost Bouef or something

The little I saw of the Germany game they didnt impress me.

He called us stupid but they only qualified in the last game as well.

Im happy that the team has not peaked yet and as the tournament goes on we may get stronger. The Argies are the best team i have seen so far but the other night they didnt look so good when Messi was man marked.

I'm sure we'll get a cringeworth chorus of 'Ten German Bombers' as well!

Ahh get over yourself. It is almost the perfect football song;

No repsect for political correctness

Revelling in former glory

Taking the **** out of the opposition

And doesnt fade out after two lines

oh and hand actions to boot.

At the World cup in Germany it was sung at one of the bars and everytime we "Shot one down" the Germans would dive on the floor. All done in good spirits and perfectly acceptable as a football song - Sounds awesome when sung all the way through by a large group.

I'm sure the loonies will disagree

...Read the artical, its not an insult - firstly saying That England Germany should be a semi final - eg its a biog game fior two giants of European football, but that England have looked tired because 'stupidly' our league season is so bloody long with no break... which is not far from the truth... but hey if we can twist it so it sound like one...

If any player needs jingoistic xenophobic ****** to get 'motivated' for a word cup game, they dont deserve the shirt.. this is about the pinical of your playing career, personal ambition and pride in playing for your country and that should be all the motivation you need, not world wars and a media hell bent on firing up misguided nationalism....

...Read the artical, its not an insult - firstly saying That England Germany should be a semi final - eg its a biog game fior two giants of European football, but that England have looked tired because 'stupidly' our league season is so bloody long with no break... which is not far from the truth... but hey if we can twist it so it sound like one...

If any player needs jingoistic xenophobic ****** to get 'motivated' for a word cup game, they dont deserve the shirt.. this is about the pinical of your playing career, personal ambition and pride in playing for your country and that should be all the motivation you need, not world wars and a media hell bent on firing up misguided nationalism....

I did read it FC.

And yes in context it all made sense and of course we played like a bunch of Germans named K....tz in the Algeria game and we are in a mess of our own making......

But as many have found to their cost over the years, context is always lost when you talk to the press (as the first summary paragraph says)

So, at this moment, an ex footballing legend is "insulting" us in the press - stupid, burnt out hoofballers is how it will play on the front pages of the more Xenophobic tabloids in the run up to the game and the average fat bald bloke down the pub will be giving it large back at Franzy.

As for motivation - well, whatever was tried for the first two games sure as hell didn't work so maybe they DO need something more in the amateur psychology way. The shenanigans of the last week with JT's revolt may have been cringeworthy and may have had nothing to do with what happened but the empirical evidence shows that the squad "got ruffled up" this week and suddenly played better.

Now to get that Better up to the next level to beat Germany, if it needs Paul Mckenna in the dressing room or Franzy's out of context statements pineed to the wall then - hell, let's not leave anything to chance. We need to improve again and then we could beat them and all the rest

(yeah, as if)

Edited by dubai_phil

Boll*cks, players on both sides will be harbouring the old rivalry don't worry about that.

get over yourself FFS

I understand what Beckenbauer is saying, we have looked knackered in our games so far, but there was more energy and movement yesterday so Capello is probably right in that it was a mental problem rather than a physical one, and the two teams are not a total mismatch. I am wondering though whether the Germans would rather have played us than the Yanks based on their performances as they have shown a lot of energy in their performances against us and the other two teams in the group. If so, they may be regretting not allowing Ghana a late equaliser last night, come Sunday evening.

I think though that the key on Sunday will be denying attacking space to the Germans, if we try to stop their passing game we could end up chasing shadows as they pass so crisply and have excellent close control, so we will have to allow them to control possession until inside our half then make sure that they have no route to goal, and close down quickly as they have players used to the Jabulani who can hit it accurately from distance, then we can use the fast counter atacking game that the premier league is famous for to get at them. Still don't think that Lampard should play though as he slows it down too much for us to get at them quickly on the break.

We'll win comfortably.

You heard it here first.

Just hope Capello makes some subs quicker. Milner was awesome yesterday, but he looked completely f*cked with 20 minutes left to play. Should have got him off and got Lennon on, or not taken Rooney off. We've got an awesome bench - one of the most competitive England squads I've known for a long time. Would like to see the same back 4 in the next game. Stick to a winning formation!!

Edited by thesaint sfc

We'll win guys.

My logic is that I watched the first two group games, and we played badly. I couldn't watch the Slovenia game due to work and we played well and won - I also can't watch the game on Sunday, so a win there too!

The next England game I can see would be the semi-finals. If we get there, I think I may just ban myself from the TV.

Realistically speaking, Germany will be our toughest opponents in years. The haven't really got any standout talent, but they have a quality team of good players. I fear them, in a way, I'm glad I can't watch the game, I'd get too nervous and shart. We CAN win, we have the players, but all 11 need to perform to 100%. Penalties? Nah, the game will be decided in normal time IMO.

Ahh get over yourself. It is almost the perfect football song;

No repsect for political correctness

Revelling in former glory

Taking the **** out of the opposition

And doesnt fade out after two lines

oh and hand actions to boot.

At the World cup in Germany it was sung at one of the bars and everytime we "Shot one down" the Germans would dive on the floor. All done in good spirits and perfectly acceptable as a football song - Sounds awesome when sung all the way through by a large group.

I'm sure the loonies will disagree

100% agree