English FA

Smirking_Saint

I just think we need to all write to the FA, as many people as we can muster, those that post on the football forums (all fans) get those people to post on their fans websites and the like, write to the press, just get as many people as we can.

Football in this country is rotten to the core, the FA care for nothing more than money, the PL has no concerns for the good of the ENGLISH game just to line its own pockets and unfortunately the players of the England squad (as a majority anyways) need to look themselves up and down and realise what a disgrace they are. What a bunch of passionless and uncommited fools they are, unconcerned to the fans and to the nation. Unconcerned for the three lions, unconcered for Sir Alf, for Alan Ball and for Bobby. They have let us all down.

The FA, a bunch of fat cats, worried only to smoke fine cigars and woo fine women only to be found wanting and cheating by those same clutches of honey traps and misplaced trusts. How can we attempt to win 2018 if we are full of such inadequacies in all levels. The English way has been found wanting, not good enough not strong enough and not productive enough. An ageing squad of prima donnas have been shown up for what they are and a coaching pyramid just does not cut it at the highest level.

Our players, not technical enough, our managers not good enough. We need the FA to encourage and help youth and what do we have ? A top flight full of foreign managers, a national team coached by a foreigner with a loose grasp of english and our premier league full of overpaid and well coached foreign players that walk away with a full pay cheque and an idea of how to defeat the english.

The Burton technical youth center needs to be financed.

Brooking a once wonderfully gifted english playmaker needs to be given firmer reigns on youth development.

The national team needs to be coached by an englishman full of passion and who understands progression.

The PL needs to be reigned in, it is an ENGLISH league, Scudamore needs to be culled and the penalties need to be pulled in line with the football league. They need to work as one.

More importantly the three lions need to be worn by hungry, passionate men who understand and are still in touch with the rest of the nation.

If these things are not met, we run the risk of being overtaken by a hungry asia, a hungry africa and a hungry america, but i fear this will be too late, these things will not be realised until the FA's coffers run dry.

It is a sad day to be english, unless of course you were one of the 23, headed for the beaches without a care in the world.

It's funny that the FA have got caught up with the Premier League issues but they don't run it and have no power over it. There is no continuity in the game having the FA, PL and FL. Having said that when it was just the FA and FL there was no vision and thought for future development only an old boys network creaming off the money.

Brooking has been banging on for at least 5 years regarding youth development (not only technical but educational requirements) all of which has fallen on deaf ears.

Since the 70's all the innovation (formations, tactical advances and diets etc) has come from abroad. The time when we would/could rely on physical strength and never say die attitude to see us advance in competitions are dead and gone, as you say SS, we'll soon be dropping down the rankings.

• 6 years later...

Not much has changed has it ?

The whole Ethos of the set up needs to be a pathway to the first team, much like Saints. With a management structure that talks to each other at all levels and all levels playing the same way, to the same formations and philosophies. Players should be allowed to get tournament experience when they can, and this means allowing the bright young talents to play in the U21 tournaments and not just picked for a pointless friendly.

Players should be reminded that refusing to play for an age group effectively means they will not be invited to play for a senior side.

And honestly Id be looking at a combination of Southgate and Hoddle if it were me

What's wrong with the England side starts with who selects the manager.

We have 2 businessmen, and a technical director who played 5 minutes for Norwich (but who apparently does a good PowerPoint presentation). Uppermost in their minds will be whether the new manager will tow the line and be a yes man. It's how Hodgson and McLaren got appointed when there were much better, slightly more colourful, alternatives. It's why they appeared so keen on Southgate and why he was the early bookies favourite. Quite why there isn't more football experience in the selection committee I wil never know. The stuffed shirt syndrome is why we never got Clough, and why Venables was 'ousted', it's why legendary coaches like Allison were never let near the national set-up.

It seems to me, that all England managers in recent history, simply fill their squad with players from the big sides, and select their teams on reputation alone. It's as if their sponsors are a major consideration. Alf Ramsey didn't pick his best players in 66, he picked the players who worked best together.

Going forward, I wouldn't necessarily give the job to an experienced club manager. What about an experienced ex-international with tournament experience. Let him have a small team around him that includes experience. Allardyce is an experienced manager with no international experience. He would be a poor appointment.

The FA will arrogantly not look at previous mistakes and make the same ones again. Ashworth will be looking at someone who will support him (Hodgson virtually appointed him in his role because they worked at WBA), rather than the best man for the job.

I wouldn't trust the FA to run a bath, let alone the oldest Football Association in the world.

Not much has changed has it ?

The whole Ethos of the set up needs to be a pathway to the first team, much like Saints. With a management structure that talks to each other at all levels and all levels playing the same way, to the same formations and philosophies. Players should be allowed to get tournament experience when they can, and this means allowing the bright young talents to play in the U21 tournaments and not just picked for a pointless friendly.

Players should be reminded that refusing to play for an age group effectively means they will not be invited to play for a senior side.

And honestly Id be looking at a combination of Southgate and Hoddle if it were me

I don't like talk of 'philosophies' but it's not a bad idea. Koeman changed his tactics last year, and it got us out of a hole. We need a coach who can implement different systems, and make the players comfortable in all of them. Why would you play the same formation against a side who play 1, 2 or 3 up front.

I like the idea of a younger manager with someone experienced alongside him. I would go for Shearer with Hoddle or Venables. I would also like someone like Tony Adams to work with the defence and help inject a bit of pride into the shirt.