Fifa 11

Draino76

Yeah going to be awesome as they have changed a lot of things with it. Like now every players stats actually mean something. If someone is crap at ball control they won't have the ball stick to their feet so easily. If they are quick and weak they won't push over a solid defender. The physics of it have changed too. Pass skill and movement skill have a huge impact on your ability to actually pull off passes now. There is a lot higher level of error in getting the ball from your keeper and through the team and into their goal. Just as there is in real football it is not so predictable.

Add to that you now have a whole loads of new custom things to do such as create your own club! You can design the players, the kits, the ground, loads of things. I know some will be happy about that. There is also a new mode called "Pub Team" or something like that. Where you can take a pub team who play on a pub pitch and see how far you can get them.

And the best change of all is manager mode = dead

This is what they have said about it :)

Having received lots of feedback about Manager Mode in FIFA 10 the development team have been hard at work to bring to life the experience that users requested. Based on this feedback and the many suggestions from fans across the world Manager Mode is now changing to become Career Mode and has been built from scratch for FIFA 11.

Play through a footballer's career as a player, player-manager and then a manager. A brand new transfer system brings the ups and downs of the transfer window to life while the new calendar system means it is easier to plan your career, manage your squad or experience the thrill of breaking your way into the first team.

Players created using the new Creation Centre will be available to download into Career Mode so if you want you and your mates to all be a part of your favourite team and then manage them to ultimate glory, now you can.

There is also now a friend's leaderboard so you can see how you stack up against them in terms of stats and earnings throughout your career.

So the big question is; Player, Player-Manager or Manager? The choice is yours.

Career Mode in a bit more detail

Here in the office I've been fortunate enough to get access to an early build of Career Mode (playing as a Player-Manager) and so far it is a big change from FIFA 10. Things seem a lot slicker and refinements in a number of areas are definitely noticeable. So far I've taken Man Utd to Community Shield victory against Chelsea, signed Chiellini and Thiago Silva to replace the ageing Ferdinand and had a bid accepted for Benzema although I'm still to confirm personal terms with the player. Yes, you did read that right, "confirm personal terms with the player". The transfer system is now a two-stage negotiation where you agree a fee with the club in question and then have to agree terms with the player themselves. I've already had the experience of the club saying yes and the player saying no (Higuain) as he didn't want to move country.

There are now a few more search options in the transfer market with you being able to search for a primary attribute and a secondary attribute and respective ratings for them.

The main interface has changed dramatically and now has the look of an online "news portal", a bit like http://www.premierleague.com. You have a couple of news stories on display working in rotation, league ladder and top scorers lists on the right, career rating on the bottom left and then your menu options top left. The associated screenshot highlights this layout and as you progress through Career Mode you will become more familiar with it.

When changing days between matches the calendar now has a daily view and will stop progressing if there is an important action happening such as an email from a team interested in buying your player or something from the Board. You can easily see when the cup matches are, friendlies, international matches and your standard league matches. When you do get to a match and opt to Sim it there are a few new elements here as well. On the left of the screen you get both line-ups including substitutes and on the right you get a ticker updating you with important events from the match and a summary of key events from other matches happening at the same time. When you score, your players collect cards or get injured the left side of the screen updates with the appropriate symbol so you can easily see who has done what and who has been subbed.

On the side of injuries they are still there and have been tweaked as well. I got two injuries during the first match I simmed both of which were of different lengths; one 82 days and one 27 days. I got a news item on the main screen after the match telling me so and an email from the Coach drilling it in that these players would be unavailable and that I'd need to change my team selection accordingly. Injuries can also happen after matches, I played the Community Shield against Chelsea and got an email notification after winning that Rooney would be unavailable for a period having picked up a knock. Overall there are three types of injury; those that happen but aren't severe enough to sideline a player (stats reduced but can still play), those that sideline the player for a short period as they are unfit to play and those major injuries that can put a player out of action for months.

I'm still getting to grips with all the ins and outs but so far the changes that I have noticed are great and I'm enjoying playing it in the office. Look out for another article in the near future once I've guided Man Utd to victory and started a career as just a Player.

St Marco ****s over FIFA, regardless of facts or anything else.

Bit harsh isn't it?

I am a football fan, hence why i am here. I am a games fan, hence why i am in the games forum. Mix football and games together and you get Fifa.

If your refering to my preferal over Fifa to PES then i think that is pretty sad mate. Because everyone knows PES has been **** this generation. Even Konami themselves have admited it is ****.

I used to love PES. I still maintain PES5 was the greatest football game of all time. If you think the PES of today is anywhere near that level then you are ****ing deluded.

That piece above i didn't write. I took it from Gamespot. You know game writers? People who play the games etc..

Eurogamer sum up PES this gen perfect

"Change is easy to promise, but much harder to deliver. The pleading husband, as his long-suffering wife threatens to walk out, insists he'll change; things will be different this time if only she'll stay. Why should she believe him?

So it is with PES. The fanatical devotion Konami's football series has inspired in fans has been a virtual love affair of breast-beating intensity. But the gnawing sense of late that it has let itself go has tried the patience and passion of even its most ardent devotees. As they remorsefully turn away and into the arms of a pouting rival, PES promises to change. Why should we believe them?"

As it happens, with Fifa finally bothering with a proper PC version (apparently), I'd imagine there's a good chance I'll end up with both. PES has failed to deliver for some time, while Fifa has made huge strides. I still found in Fifa 09 - the latest I played - that there were too many 'broken' goals - too many reliable ways to get a goal, and PES, for all its faults, never had this to the same extent. It had some weaknesses, but you still had to work to exploit them. I understand Fifa10 was excellent, though - but I still heard of people tiring of it, and it becoming too easy, too quickly. PES is the same to an extent recently, whereas PES5/6 both kept me playing until the next iteration. I'm happy to play either. I've always found PES to be more intuitive, flexible, and for many years, realistic, but it's been more arcadey while Fifa has gone the other way - so now Fifa is coming to my platform, there's a chance it'll wrest loyalty away from PES. Though as someone says, that's looking more promising this year too, at last.

And Marco, you're so easy to wind up. I was mostly kidding. To be fair, you have occasionally seemed to to be fully biased in the past whilst claiming objectivity, and your comments about 'working in the industry' in days past have just amused me.

I never said i worked in the industry Rob. I said i work as a business analyst. Sometimes i have had to do some reasearch into gaming companies as part of this. I only know what is printed on gaming websites.

In regards to Fifa i am a fan of fifa, i make no denial of that. But it doesn't make me biased. Because Fifa is the best game now, it has been for about 4 years. Fifa each year have listened to football fans and improved on their series. PES on the other hand haven't. They have gone backwards. Even Konami themselves are honest that they are struggling this gen.

Just the other day their UK head developer guy John Murphy said "What we want to stop is hardcore level of our fanbase moving, if I'm totally honest - which worryingly has started to happen. For years, we sat on our laurels and assumed it never would happen. That's our strategy, plain and simple. What we now have is a benchmark from EA that we've got to beat, which is fine. It gives us a challenge. But that's not our ultimate aim. Our goal is not only to ensure we don't lose any more fans, but that we win back the hardcore fans. The rest of it - we'll see what happens. PES needed a shake-up and that's been brought about because FIFA has turned up and done its stuff. I hope we do get back to [No.1] because if PES ever did disappear and you saw one game on the market I think you'd go back to seeing a very, very lazy game of football that everyone would be sick of."

And he is right. What he is refering to is when Fifa was the same rubbish pumped out every year that was designed purely to make money, it was nothing like football. But now he understands PES is that game. They have done what Fifa did. The problem is konami have said the samething the last couple of years now. This time things will be different, we have started again etc.. PES 2010 was supposed to have a whole new engine and stuff but it didn't. They really have to deliver this time or it is probably over for them.

So yes i do prefer Fifa. But because it is a better game. Not because i am a fanboy. If Fifa 11 is **** then i will say so.

I'm a great fan of FIFA, but the thing that annoys me is that all Premier League players are better at everything than all League one players, which is clearly not the case in real life. For example, there's no doubt that Michael Antonio is quicker than say Paul Scholes, and noone could argue that Cesc Fabregas is a better header of the ball then Rhadi Jaidi (probably), yet the premier league players are just better across the board. If they could accept that lower league players are sometimes better at certain aspects of the game than top players, even if they are significantly poorer overall, the game would be better IMO.

In regards to Fifa i am a fan of fifa, i make no denial of that. But it doesn't make me biased. Because Fifa is the best game now, it has been for about 4 years.

So yes i do prefer Fifa. But because it is a better game. Not because i am a fanboy.

Well THERE are two quotes that directly contradict each other... FIFA10 and to a lesser extent FIFA09 are good games (FIFA10 is bloody ace and I haven't even seen PES2010).

Before that it was a steaming pile of shoescrape. To even claim the over-dribbly and ruined online PES2008 and the actually pretty good if limited PES6 on PS3/360 were inferior to the balloonesque FIFA08 with its backwards diving headers and crummy AI, or ANY of the utterly laughable button-bashing iterations between FIFA99 including FIFA07, is precisely what makes you that fanboy.

Can't wait for FIFA's Player Creation Centre, if they can get that even close to PES's player creation it will improve the game about 50% in my eyes. You just can't beat creating your teammates and kit and seeing them onscreen, or getting the pros to actually look like the pros - which is still FIFA's main flaw up to WC10.

What i meant The9 was sales/reviews/general opinion of the last 4 years (when this gen started) Fifa has been on top. I don't think that is wrong or a fanboy statement? Like i said in my post Fifa each year seem to have tweaked things a bit and generally gone in the direction of improving things. Where as the general census is PES sort of stays the same. And like the eurogamer thing i posted once again the same people are saying the same-thing, "it will be better this year" etc..

The Fifa creation stuff does sound cool. They have some pics of the interface up on the fifa website if i remember right. I am not clever enough to know how to do all the fancy drawing type things that you do :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an interesting interview about the new career mode

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30838

Sounds pretty cool. Thank god they changed that seasons thing from 4 years to 15 years. Never understood why they did that anyway.

Also i noticed on the screen when he was picking a player to start his career with he chose Peter Czech. I wonder if that means we can now control the keeper. That would be awesome.

Loving the interface and thing it was the right thing to kill manager mode, it just had too much wrong with it. Another nice touch is you can now see the results and positions from all the leagues.

Gamescom EA conference just happened and they announced you can indeed now have a career as a goal keeper. They also showed some amazing footage showing the new features in it as well as 100% in game footage, no CGI ********. It looked epic. Soon as the video is put up on net i will link it. Demo also coming out Sept 16th. The whole angle was "Fifa 11, now play as 11".

Here is a low quality one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYlpv_Reha0

Edited by St Marco

Any decent pre-order deals/prices yet?

£34.85

Get all my games from here, already pre ordered Fifa 11 and Medal of Honor

Xbox 360 - http://www.shopto.net/XBOX%20360/VIDEO%20GAMES/XB2FI19-FIFA%2011%202011.html

PS3 - http://www.shopto.net/PS3/VIDEO%20GAMES/PS3FI10-FIFA%2011%202011.html

You could also wait until release day because they usually do good deals at stores like Sainsbury's. E.g they did CoD MW2 for about £25 on release day.

Classic goal.

A friend got to play it over in Germany at Gamescom and he said it is miles better then last years in terms of actual gameplay. The physics side to the game has been totally changed with a lot of things built from scratch. Like now if your a big dude you will be able to shoulder barge a smaller guy and get the ball a lot easier. The weight of passing is a lot different too. It is a lot harder to pull of 40+ yard passes, which is down to the new personality engine/system put into the game. Another cool thing is there is like a tutorial mode called "Be a Keeper", which has three levels to it. As you progress the computer removes some of the assists you have with it. Until eventually your on your own.

There should be lot's of previews up soon.

Let's hope Asda,Tesco and Sainsbury do what they did last year and have a shopping war and sell it at £25 on the 1st day again :)

This is the first year I'm going to FIFA by default and waiting to see if PES has a contender, rather than the other way around. The last two years I've reserved judgement til I've played both - with FIFA09 and PES2009 I bought both and only played FIFA, with FIFA10 I only bought that.

The bit I'm most looking forward to is the create a team and online Player Creation Centre - I've been waiting for years for a way to get a PC-based editor to feed a football game WITHOUT needing a third party app, and the chance to share those players and team(s?) online. It should be great - IF they've removed the cartoony-looking "default" players.

Also here are some fifa gameplay videos from gamescom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPew8EH0fVE

First one got no sound but you can clearly see the graphics upgrade, looks a lot smoother. Just a pity got two people who probably not played fifa before playing it on easy settings!

One with a lot better players. But i think it is in Italian....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vsK8PXNSCs&feature=related

Finally one in english and get to hear the commentary. Sounds all new to me which is good because the previous one was getting boring fast. Hopefully Andy Gray has some nice stuff to say about us this year and some bad stuff about the blue few :p. Only downside is it is a crap camera recording it and the two playing not so great. But you get an idea. Also at 4.41 on this video when Ronaldo falls over and gets a free kick listen to the crowd, awesome! But then he scores from it.

Edited by St Marco

Interesting. Queue the PES fans coming in saying he is a fanboy after saying

"I used to be a Pro Evo fan up until two years ago. Then the difference between that and FIFA became too great and I've played FIFA ever since"

Which just sounds so familiar doesn't it.

Lol at St Marco basically trying to sell Fifa constantly on here.

Don't need to try and sell it, the game is one of the biggest selling games of all time.....

I linked the pre-order thing as i know people like the9 love that kind of thing. They might not know about the pre-order thing. Seeing as this is a forum about games i thought it was relevent. Your posts however...

Interesting. Queue the PES fans coming in saying he is a fanboy after saying

"I used to be a Pro Evo fan up until two years ago. Then the difference between that and FIFA became too great and I've played FIFA ever since"

Which just sounds so familiar doesn't it.

Yes, it's what most normal people who have played the games in the last 10 years are saying - you however said FIFA was better than PES two full years before that, hence you being a FIFA Fanboy.

PS : it's "cue".

Edited by The9

Let's face it, as I made an entire 40 man squad for the Saints Innernet FC team back in 2006 on PES for PS2 (facial appearances, hairstyles, long/short sleeves, accurately created boots allocated to each player, correct heights, weights, and ratings for ALL player skills), I made every nation in the 2006 World Cup squad with authentic kits (h/a/gk h/gk a/number styles) and added a load of created players on Winning Eleven 10, and for PES2009 spent all night making a Saints badge, kit and squad on the dire game before I even played a match, I think it's fair to assume therefore that if *I* can wait for Creation Centre, anyone can wait for it.

Why pay approx £15 more for the game for the chance to create players and teams which based on last year's Gameface to In-Game migration will suffer greatly from loss of detail and accuracy in the process, and which you can't even use until the game is out ?

Rumour has it the online Creation Code code works from Sep 2nd. It will, of course, then stop working altogether in launch week, as FIFA's servers die a hideous death as usual and no-one can use anything for weeks afterwards.

Probably.

More likely there will be a swathe of Creation Centre codes out there anyway.

Edited by The9

Yes, it's what most normal people who have played the games in the last 10 years are saying - you however said FIFA was better than PES two full years before that, hence you being a FIFA Fanboy.

PS : it's "cue".

Proove it. I didn't even own Fifa 07, check my gamer tag. Stop talking ******** the9.

I never said i worked in the industry Rob. I said i work as a business analyst. Sometimes i have had to do some reasearch into gaming companies as part of this. I only know what is printed on gaming websites.

In regards to Fifa i am a fan of fifa, i make no denial of that. But it doesn't make me biased. Because Fifa is the best game now, it has been for about 4 years. Fifa each year have listened to football fans and improved on their series. PES on the other hand haven't. They have gone backwards. Even Konami themselves are honest that they are struggling this gen.

Just the other day their UK head developer guy John Murphy said "What we want to stop is hardcore level of our fanbase moving, if I'm totally honest - which worryingly has started to happen. For years, we sat on our laurels and assumed it never would happen. That's our strategy, plain and simple. What we now have is a benchmark from EA that we've got to beat, which is fine. It gives us a challenge. But that's not our ultimate aim. Our goal is not only to ensure we don't lose any more fans, but that we win back the hardcore fans. The rest of it - we'll see what happens. PES needed a shake-up and that's been brought about because FIFA has turned up and done its stuff. I hope we do get back to [No.1] because if PES ever did disappear and you saw one game on the market I think you'd go back to seeing a very, very lazy game of football that everyone would be sick of."

And he is right. What he is refering to is when Fifa was the same rubbish pumped out every year that was designed purely to make money, it was nothing like football. But now he understands PES is that game. They have done what Fifa did. The problem is konami have said the samething the last couple of years now. This time things will be different, we have started again etc.. PES 2010 was supposed to have a whole new engine and stuff but it didn't. They really have to deliver this time or it is probably over for them.

So yes i do prefer Fifa. But because it is a better game. Not because i am a fanboy. If Fifa 11 is **** then i will say so.

Oopsie, too late. :D

Proove it. I didn't even own Fifa 07, check my gamer tag. Stop talking ******** the9.

I'll just quote this one too... for context.

Oh, I already did. So hang on, if you DIDN'T EVEN OWN FIFA07, how could you possibly know it was better than the equivalent PES game ?

...and other dangerously simple logical deconstructions of your FIFA fanboyism... ;)