Southampton v Pompey - the memories

Thedelldays

incase we never play them ever again (lol)

time to think back over one of the most bitter rivalrys in the country....easily

will never forget the 4-1 humiliation at fratton....and at the same time, the 2-0 carling cup win when they first came up..

I also remember being in the terrace at fratton for alan knights testimonial...great evening

the roar when lambert scored the equaliser against them was something I will never forget...that day could have ended so very differently if it was not for englands no.1...never mind the players they played who they could not afford to pay..

anyway..what do you remember most..?

time to think back over one of the most bitter rivalrys in the country....easily

will never forget the 4-1 humiliation at fratton....and at the same time, the 2-0 carling cup win when they first came up..

I also remember being in the terrace at fratton for alan knights testimonial...great evening

the roar when lambert scored the equaliser against them was something I will never forget...that day could have ended so very differently if it was not for englands no.1...never mind the players they played who they could not afford to pay..

Is any Saints fan actually happy about that? The past two results against them have painful, we need to get our own back.

The Carling Cup was epic. Every time they got the ball there was a piercing whistle - sends a shiver down my spine. Great atmosphere and BTs celebration was superb!

I enjoyed the 3 nil FA Cup game in 96, but they were so pathetic that day it was embarrassing.

BS!

Is any Saints fan actually happy about that? The past two results against them have painful, we need to get our own back.

No, of course not. However, the FA Cup game was a complete sham. We played them off the park with players we could afford, for 70 minutes. All 4 of their goals came from players who shouldn't have been there past the January transfer window. I'm still waiting for the FA to advise that any club in admin is booted out of any cup they're in. It's crazy that you get a points penalty for the league and no sanction for the cups.

BS!

I was....alan ball came on...dave beasant told jokes to us away fans while we were kept in...knight scored a penalty..MLT took the pee with his skill...

hately, horne etc played for them..

they ran on the pitch at the end and a police libe seperated them from us..

I was....alan ball came on...dave beasant told jokes to us away fans while we were kept in...knight scored a penalty..MLT took the pee with his skill...

a very enjoyable? afternoon

Steve Moran's goal in the cup has to be one of the greatest moments

...ever.

I want them dead and out of existence.

They may have won the battle beating us 4-1, but if they don't exist anymore, we have won the war.

Steve Moran's goal in the cup has to be one of the greatest moments

Stunner, and the timing was immaculate!!!!

Dodd's corner was very memorable too.

Am I right in thinking that until the start of this year we had never been beaten by the skates in the Cup? If this is so then what happened earlier this year doesn't count 'cos they were fielding illegal players 'bought' whilst in administration. Still a 100% record then....

This post brought to you by http://www.clutching_at_straws.com

The most obvious memory comes in this years cup game. They got the result, but we won the day, and I came away beaming and so proud to be a Saint. The celebrations when Lambert scored will be with me forever.

The 4-1 at Fratton was hard to take, but I still enjoyed myself that day believe it or not. The derbies are always special no matter what the result.

Oh and Marians goal wasn't bad.

A win to go fourth at Xmas time. Funny how it was downhill for 5 years after that until last season.

There is only one team in Hampshire..... but I hope the pretenders do survive in a funny way. Simply dying in one stroke is too easy on them. Let them suffer a long a protracted humiliation. Make them really pay for cheating as outrageously as they have.

Funny how a club likes to play with the big time pro's yet pleads for sporting chance when it bites them on the arse.

F*cking filth.

Crouchie's last minute penalty, lifted the roof off St Marys and just for a short while I didn't care we were in a relegation battle,it just felt so good! Will never forget Higginbotham's stunning overhead kick that got disallowed before it because Camara was offside.

Everything about the 3-0 game was great,not least Marian's goal.

Channon last minute 76 Fratton Park 1-0. First game I ever saw, I was 7.

Moran last minute 84 Fratton Park, 1-0. Was in the Pompey North Terrace ****ting myself.

The only Saints goal i've missed at a game due to leaving early .... BT police were adamant trains would leave some stupidly short time after the match ended and things were getting ugly so we slid out about a minute before Micky scored, but that was unknown to us, as judging by the volume of the cheering we assumed it was The Skates that had scored. only found out that we'd won at the railway station!!

unfortunately wasn't able to be at the FA Cup match but ....

Just watch the whole end of the ground erupt as Moran volleys in.

Edited by ericofarabia

Steve Morans winner in the cup at Fratton.

My dad and i ran the guantlet of abuse on the way home but it was all worth it,something he and i wont forget.

When it went in i almost climbed the height of the fence i was behind on the terrace.magic.

Edited by saint lard

My first derby match with them was a memorable occassion ... our 1st meeting in donkeys years, and we were struggling to get started in our 1st season back in Div 2 (old money) and if memory serves me right it was our first win something like 10 games into the season ... but it was worth the wait!! watching The Big Match the next day was wonderful!!

The FA Cup game last season was my first (and possibly last) Poopey vs Saints game. Even though we lost, it was an amazing day. I've never felt as gutted as I did walking away from SMS that day, I didn't say a word for about 2 and a half hours after the final whistle. The atmosphere and noise when the teams came out of the tunnel and seeing SMS all red and white was magical. It sounds cliched, but it really was magical.

My first derby was 27th August 1960 - the day we overtook them after many years. We won 5 - 1, Huxford, O'Brien (pen), Paine, Mulgrew and Dickinson (o.g.) were the scorers.

We had just won Div 3 and they had been relegated from Div 1, back then nobody really thought that we could beat the mighty Pompey!

The only Saints goal i've missed at a game due to leaving early .... BT police were adamant trains would leave some stupidly short time after the match ended and things were getting ugly so we slid out about a minute before Micky scored, but that was unknown to us, as judging by the volume of the cheering we assumed it was The Skates that had scored. only found out that we'd won at the railway station!!

unfortunately wasn't able to be at the FA Cup match but .... http://

Just watch the whole end of the ground erupt as Moran volleys in.

I can only imagine just quite how incredible that moment felt. I wasn't even born then and i get goosebumps at the site of it.

Whilst remembering and enjoying the football, what I recall most was their night of shame when they booed, jeered and whistled during the Minutes Silence for Ted Bates

I reckon all the troubles they're experiencing now is punishment for that shameful night. I've never felt so angry as I did when they did that, I'm just glad I was all the way in the Chapel Stand so I couldn't commit any crimes upon those disgusting lot.

Happier times here:

I reckon all the troubles they're experiencing now is punishment for that shameful night. I've never felt so angry as I did when they did that, I'm just glad I was all the way in the Chapel Stand so I couldn't commit any crimes upon those disgusting lot.

Happier times here:

we have video footage of the one and only person who has cursed in the Chapel stand.

Happier times here:

LOL ..... at the ******** 'Ave it! you skate ****s.!

Edited by ericofarabia

Didn't Matt Oakley score a peach against them? I've been at all the games we've played against them at St Mary's but they all seem a blur.

And a bit more ..... ******** .áve it you skate ****s as well. Comedy classic.

Love one of the comments .... if only Motty could commentate like that!!

So many good memories

Alan Knights testimonial .... being kept in for 30 minutes whilst watching the skates smash up their own town :)

Jim Magilton's brace in the FA Cup win

Beattie's goal & then holding his ear in front of the baying skates

& being beaten up at Junior school in Portchester the Monday after Steve Morans winner !

remember that night like it was yesterday. awesome. they really lost their sense of humour about 20 minutes from the end and it suddenly turned very nasty. remember beasant telling jokes at the end, but i was stood at the back so couldnt hear anything!

i was living in portsmouth at the time as well, so it was an interesting walk home..

top memory for me though is Seve Morans goal, 1984. my first ever away game, and nothing has ever beaten it

I go back far enough for John Milkins testimonial in, I think, 1969 at Krap Nottarf Sh!tcity 0 Saints 7 with an absolute beauty from Brian O'Neil thrown in for good measure.

was at that one until half time, stood under main stand, fratton end taking it in turns to spring across the gap to dive in on us. OB made us leave at half time