Markus Liebherr RIP. All tributes here please.

camdijk

A very sad day. I cannot be at the church today due to work commitments but will be at St Marys on Saturday.

Thank you Markus. I did not have the pleasure of knowing you personally but I will always think of you when I enter St Marys.

I am glad that at least you saw us win a trophy. The image of you with the broad grin on your face and the camera in your hand will be my long lasting memory of the day at Wembley.

Thoughts are with the family.

I'll never forget that first appearance at St Mary's a year ago waving to the crowd from the front row of the director's stand. Markus looked so happy to be here. He looked the picture of health too.

We all love you, Markus. Your name will be revered here with the greatest of Saints legends. Thank you so much.

Sympathy and condolences to all your family.

One of the all-time Saints legends, a very big impact in a a sadly very short space of time. I'm just sorry that I cannot attend today and I'm missing Saturday's game. I will be singing the Liebherr name at other games this season and raising a glass to Markus this evening.

It seems the tributes outside SMS will be removed today as they spread to turnstile areas.

To be boxed up and sent to his family.

Not according to Official Saints on twitter - tributes will still be there tomorrow:

officialsaints

RT @TractorSaint: Are we going to be able to see the tributes at St Mary's tomorrow? #saintsfc

I've been abroad on a limited access internet service but would not wish to miss adding to the official tribute thread -

For all Saints supporters a saviour, to all he touched a genuine & honest man, a businessman with few equals it seems. I'll be eternally grateful that he had the JPT to understand the joy of the club & the gratitude of the Saints family to share with his own.

Thank you Markus - you'll always be a Saint in Southampton & beyond!

• 1 year later...

His dignity, foresight and integrity provide an example for us to this day.

May he be watching on and enjoying our rise. Without Markus Liebherr I dread to think where we would be now.

In your memory we fight on. With our greatest respect and gratitude we remember.

I can't believe how quickly the time has passed. I remember finding out at around 6 o'clock, thought it was a sick joke at first as it didn't sink in. Didn't know what to make of it, a complete jolt out of the blue.

That was probably the most surreal and sad start to a season I can remember for a long time.

It is quite amazing fifteen months or so ago most fans had never heard of Markus and were expecting MLT to be the next Chairman.

Now many thousands of Saints Fans are devasted by his death a fitting response for a life well lived.

He will be remembered and respected RIP Markus

Dont think I can add anymore than I did two years ago

But what a two years it has been without him what it would have been with him god only knows

Its a shame we couldn't win it for you markus but we did honour your memory by being runners up twice which is still decent. Let's hope we can continue that tribute to your name by surviving in the top flight next year (although not second bottom! 17th would be worthy lol). With you looking down on us there is no way we will get relegated this season.

Edited by hypochondriac

I have fond memories of Markus! I was on holiday with my family in France when we read about it in a day old paper. My two young sons cried and if I'm honest, I did but held back the tears! I remember him at the Johnstone Pant Trophy where I was watching with my two sons. When the players came up to receive the trophy or maybe it was before that, he stood up sporting his characteristic ear to ear grin taking photos on his digital camera. Just like the rest of us eh? The moment he took over the club, all that negativity disappeared. Remember the booing of players? The fighting between home fans? Do I really want to go to the next home match? That all stopped upon his arrival. The spirit he gave to the club still remains to this day. I often wonder if he is sitting in one of the emtpy seats grinning at SFC continuing success? I'd better sign off before I well up. I wonder if we could get to see those photos he took at Wembley?

The streets of heaven are full of Angels, and one I believe has always been looking down on us, with a grin at the legacy he left.

I believe that a Legend is when the man survives his death as his name lives on. As long as we have Marcus alongside Saints in our hearts, he will always live, in every success we have had, in the games we play, in the players, and in the fact we now have a team.

People berated me for wanting a statue of him. I'll say it again. A statue of him, Smile in Hand, Saints Scarf around his neck, and Camera in hand.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})