Markus Liebherr RIP. All tributes here please.

camdijk

I have a fantastic idea. (with thanks for Gaz for the idea)

There have been lots of discussions as to how we should tribute Markus from the forum, so.

How about we take all of the proper tributes from this thread (shouldn't be too hard to compile, if need be i will do it) put them all into a book, a proper book and then send it to the club to be sent on to his family, just to let them know what the great man thought was thought of by the supporters of the club ??

Just a thought, feel free to shoot me down.

What's the fantastic idea?

My heartfelt thoughts go out to the Liebherr family and the Southampton faithful. I was never fortunate enough to have met the great man in person but still I feel a great sense of grief and despair that he's been taken from all of us so soon. Markus Liebherr will never be forgotten! RIP mate.

Haven’t had chances to post until now.

I was genuinely shocked and upset when the news broke. Of course, I never met Mr Liebherr but I will be grateful to him for the rest of my life for what he has done for my beloved Saints.

My heart goes out to the Liebherr family at this impossibly difficult time.

A year ago, when all looked bleak and it didn't look like Southampton Football Club would survive the summer I despaired at the thought of never being able to share any more moments with my Dad watching Saints play. It occurred to me that I might not be able to ever take my children to see Southampton play in the future. It’s not until you nearly lose something that it becomes clear just how much it means to you or just how much you care about it.

He will never be forgotten, because what he has done transcends Football. By saving Southampton Football Club, he also saved all those precious moments... those moments of sharing, with your Dad, your Brother, your children, your friends... Those moments that so many people take for granted but that mean so, so much.

Every goal scored from now on, every win, every promotion, every cheer; everything is all thanks to him.

Thank you Markus Liebherr. Thank you so, so much. Thank you for giving us that wonderful day out at Wembley, thank you for securing all those precious future moments with loved ones at the games, thank you for saving our club.

RIP

Extremely sad news - we were lucky that a genuinely good man decided to buy our club. He will always be a major part of this club's story. Many thanks for saving the club Marcus and condolences to all your friends and family.

R.I.P.

Have been away for the week and only just found out the sad news, really can't believe devastated for his family my hearts go out to them, it its always the good ones that go before their time. All the people that said "wtf do we do now?" of course that question is in the back of everyones mind but it really shouldnt be be being discussed at the moment. No doubt some skate fan will post a nasty remark on here at some point it wouldnt suprise me, probably sick jokes going round already. R.I.P Markus true saints are never forgotten! All we can do now is win this league in his honour! surely that has to be the ultimate tribute......

Just got back from a trip, although I sadly heard the news whilst away I have not been able to send my condolences till now.

R.I.P Markus who has only been with us for a short time but will stay forever in our memories.

We owe you a great debt of gratitude and hopefully we can repay your kindness by supporting your saints back to the premiership.

Your smile will be missed!

Thankyou Markus for bringing back the club we all love & giving us hope for a great future.

I will never forget your beaming smile on the big screen on that beautiful day at Wembley.

You will always be a Legend in my eyes.

RIP

Just stunned. RIP Mr. Liebherr. Thank you for allowing me to cheer my favourite football club after it was in so much trouble. Fans very often speak about players gracing the pitch. Although you were at Southampton FC for a very brief spell only, may I say I feel very few people graced the boardroom like you did.

Arguably, one of the most important men in Saints history. The man who brought Southampton FC out of the flames like a Phoenix. A man who saved this Club, generated hope, optimism and morale in a City that prides itself in its footballing gladiators.

A man with ambition and pride in his Club. A man with vision and desire.

Our lasting tribute needs to be to continue that desire - to win and return to the top where he wanted his Club to be and had hoped to enjoy the ride there alongside us. We must play, support and progress for his memory and for the pride of his family that survive him.

Thank you ML.

Rest In Peace.

Is it too late for me to go and lay my shirt down? I have been away but I would like to show my respect.

It's not too late at all mate, the book of condolences is open to sign there all week and the memorials everyone has been leaving will go untouched until at least after the Orient game.TBH the way we fans have all come together to show how much we appreciate everything Markus did for our club has restored my faith in my fellow Saints supporters.Saturday is going to be a deeply moving occasion and a chance for everyone to show just how much Markus meant to Saints fans for saving the club from oblivion.WIFM,

Haven’t had chances to post until now.

I was genuinely shocked and upset when the news broke. Of course, I never met Mr Liebherr but I will be grateful to him for the rest of my life for what he has done for my beloved Saints.

My heart goes out to the Liebherr family at this impossibly difficult time.

A year ago, when all looked bleak and it didn't look like Southampton Football Club would survive the summer I despaired at the thought of never being able to share any more moments with my Dad watching Saints play. It occurred to me that I might not be able to ever take my children to see Southampton play in the future. It’s not until you nearly lose something that it becomes clear just how much it means to you or just how much you care about it.

He will never be forgotten, because what he has done transcends Football. By saving Southampton Football Club, he also saved all those precious moments... those moments of sharing, with your Dad, your Brother, your children, your friends... Those moments that so many people take for granted but that mean so, so much.

Every goal scored from now on, every win, every promotion, every cheer; everything is all thanks to him.

Thank you Markus Liebherr. Thank you so, so much. Thank you for giving us that wonderful day out at Wembley, thank you for securing all those precious future moments with loved ones at the games, thank you for saving our club.

RIP

Thanks Mike. My thoughts exactly.

Great post...nothing to add...RIP Markus and God bless your family and friends.

Devon Seven.

I have just been down to the stadium to sign the condolence book .. lump in my throat when i read some of the tributes layed outside the ground... then felt compelled to go and buy something out of the mega store .. ended up with a saints jacket i didnt need but will think of Markus everytime i put it on.

RIP big man

Personally I would like to see an empty seat at the front of the directors box for every future home game.

And if you don't want to see me singing his name and shedding tears at the same time, don't go in the Northam on Saturday!

We owe him so much, I hope he realised how much we appreciated what he did for us.

Personally I would like to see an empty seat at the front of the directors box for every future home game.

And if you don't want to see me singing his name and shedding tears at the same time, don't go in the Northam on Saturday!

We owe him so much, I hope he realised how much we appreciated what he did for us.

He did and he does now.

My mate was up in Blackpool on Saturday, he was wearing his Saints shirt and a Blackpool fan crossed the road and went over to him, and basically said he was really sorry for our loss and was interested to hear what would now happen to the club. It's nice to see fans of other clubs showing an interest and paying their respects, especially as Liebherr and Southampton FC has nothing really to do with them. We're not alone.

You truely are a Saint. What you have done for our club will never be forgotten.

When your dream is fulfilled, I will be one of many thousands of Saints fans who will raise a glass in your honour.

Your legacy has only just begun.

Thank you Saint Markus. RIP

It is quite amazing fifteen months or so ago most fans had never heard of Markus and were expecting MLT to be the next Chairman.

Now many thousands of Saints Fans are devasted by his death a fitting response for a life well lived.

He will be remembered and respected RIP Markus

All thoughts with Markus' family today. With him being a religious man I sincerely hope they can take comfort in how much he will be appreciating the support and thanks he has been receiving over the last few days. I will be there on Saturday with my 6 year old, who without Markus would never have been able to share my love of this club.

WIFM

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})