New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Because Corsacar Saint was receiving abuse just as Duncan Holly was a while back so I thought I would back him up. Reason I will not mention a name (may be wrong anyway but fits with what Corsacar was saying) is in my posting history. That is all.

WS - Corsacar Saint fully deserved the abuse because he came on here to say " I have heard something but I am not going to tell you about it". To be frank - that is irritating and utterly pointless. If you know something and can post it - then post it. If you know something but cannot post it then don't say anything.

I think Zola's current experience with the Italian Under 21's, and his proliferation for using young talent in the West Ham side make him fit into the "Southampton Way of Thinking"...

I think I'll put some money on him today.

I'm sorry but I can't believe people who are saying that Zola would be a good appointment. He has done nothing but effectively fail at West Ham. Please don't forget the strength of that West Ham side compared to the teams around them. And he also has NO experience of the lower leagues, as either a player or a manager. Great player yes, not necessarily a good manager.

Surely the new guy will need to be better / bigger name than Wilkins? Otherwise, why not just stick with Wilkins to get us out of this league as he's had good experience at Brighton and now here. I would be completely underwhelmed by Tisdale for example - not enough about him yet and if there was, he would have moved up a level or two by now.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

Cherries chairman reckons it would be a good move for Howe:

"I am sure Eddie (Howe) will be linked with the post because he is a good prospect. Eddie and Jason (Tindall) have a proven track record with us.

"If I were chairman of a club that had just got rid of their management team, they would be high on my list. We haven`t had any dialogue with Southampton and would have to cross that bridge if it came to it...'

'...Like with the players though, we have to let people progress if the opportunities arise. It probably would be a step forward but we would be very disappointed if he took it if he were offered it."

"I am sure Eddie (Howe) will be linked with the post because he is a good prospect. Eddie and Jason (Tindall) have a proven track record with us.

"If I were chairman of a club that had just got rid of their management team, they would be high on my list. We haven`t had any dialogue with Southampton and would have to cross that bridge if it came to it...'

'...Like with the players though, we have to let people progress if the opportunities arise. It probably would be a step forward but we would be very disappointed if he took it if he were offered it."

A few weeks ago this clown was saying that they are going to become the biggest club in the South.

Tisdale has actually rejected offers to move before now. He stated he wanted to complete the job he was doing at Exeter. My friend is an Exeter fan and says that Tisdale is adored at Exeter where he has worked miracles (2 promotions and not PAID money for a layer for years). They also play attractive football and gave us a game. Do you not think that somebody who has achieved miracles on a budget of ZERO money would not be able to work wonders with the resources we have?

Apparently Tisdale had a long conversation with Cortese after their defeat at St Mary's last season and Cortese praised him for his achievements and the way we have played - words from Tisdale's mouth to the Exeter fans I have been told.

I'm not sure myself whether he would be great or not, but he would not necessarily be a bad choice. To just assume that he would not be good enough because he hasn't moved on is to not have all the facts.

Having said all this, Tisdale is currently enjoying lots of freedom at Exeter to manage how he wants. Would he be willing to switch to a different style here if he was approached....?

Who knows who will be appointed. Just please not DOWIE or ZOLA!!!!!!

Howe has done well and mainly IMO because he has grown with the team - i.e. the team want to play for HIM. A move to a project like Southampton would be completely wrong for both parties and IMO he would fail dramatically - out on his ear by December and a ruined career to boot. I don't think he would come here at the moment anyway - look where Cherries are compared to us in the table - they could be pushing us for a play-off place come March/April next year. (;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southampton_F.C._managers

Never means anything and probably posted elsewhere but zola on the wiki list already, crazy timing this decision to get rid of pards imo, simply cant be on footballing grounds, if so would have happened a week or so after the end of last campaign. One thing everyone will agree on is that this apponiment had better work out bloody well bloody quickly to keep us lot onside. Just the 14 managers since 2000, yawn yawn..

I'm sorry but I can't believe people who are saying that Zola would be a good appointment. He has done nothing but effectively fail at West Ham. Please don't forget the strength of that West Ham side compared to the teams around them. And he also has NO experience of the lower leagues, as either a player or a manager. Great player yes, not necessarily a good manager.

Zola / Wilkins combo? Would provide best of both worlds. Zola is currently bookies favourite - gotta be a reason for that I would suggest.

Not exactly a "hands off warning"!

I hope this is wrong but a friend of mine has been told that the manager will be the current manager of young boys sorry dont know his name.

I dont know how strong this info is but he has been right before.

I dont want a foriegn manager and I hope NC has a big name lined up but somehow I dont think so bad move sacking Pards we were going in the right direction.

I am starting to worry that NC is Wupert in disguise hope not but it is looking that way

Zola / Wilkins combo? Would provide best of both worlds. Zola is currently bookies favourite - gotta be a reason for that I would suggest.

Zola was only passable at WHU because he had one of the best regarded asssistants in British football with him. God help us with a Clarke-less Zola.

WHy do people keep saying we need a manager with experience at this level, the plan is to say here for 5 minutes then move up. So surely we want a manager with Premier experience since thats where we are aiming at.

I'm good at parking, but Ferrari wont employ me to get their F1 car out of the garage and then just let me carry on and drive the race.

So IMO, the new manaager will not be an up and coming manager but an established name.

WHy do people keep saying we need a manager with experience at this level, the plan is to say here for 5 minutes then move up. So surely we want a manager with Premier experience since thats where we are aiming at.

I'm good at parking, but Ferrari wont employ me to get their F1 car out of the garage and then just let me carry on and drive the race.

So IMO, the new manaager will not be an up and coming manager but an established name.

Precisely. I also find it laughable that people are saying managers who have a reasonable record at Premier League level cant cut it in league one. Ridiculous to suggest that a decent manager cant manage at a level lower than the one they were last at!

I think zola would be a great coach for us I reckon he will be our head coach and were have a genral manager above him who buys the players, he done well in Italy and his 1st season at west ham and some could say even last season as this season with grant who's a quality manager can't buy a win for them.

Precisely. I also find it laughable that people are saying managers who have a reasonable record at Premier League level cant cut it in league one. Ridiculous to suggest that a decent manager cant manage at a level lower than the one they were last at!

Stuart Pearce has a pitiful record. He can't cut it at League one because he is a dreadful football manager.

And anyway it's far more true that managers who did "okay" with the plentiful resources in the top flight then proceeded to be god-awful lower down the scale - Vialli, Ray Wilkins, Bryan Robson.

It's the Djemba-Djemba theory - just because someone wasn't good enough for Man U, that doesn't automatically make him good enough for a club lower down. He just wasn't good enough for anyone.

All this speculating is so divisive. NC and co keep their cards extremely close to their chest.

Whoever it is will be an excellent choice some of us might not like it but tough.

the Saints are on the move onwards and upwards.

as for the ernie Howe bit. I suspect the cherries chairman has seen an opportunity to get rid off him. I would be a bit ****ed off

if my chairman said something similar to the media

Don't know if it's been said on here but maybe it could be Phil Brown, would't be a bad shout imo. I hope it's not Zola due to lack of experience. i've heard that Pardew asked to speak to Villa, so maybe thats why we our now looking for a new manager?

Gianfranco Zola 10/3

Phil Brown 5/1

Paul Tisdale 7/1

Eddie Howe 8/1

Gareth Southgate 8/1

Glenn Hoddle 10/1

Tony Mowbray 10/1

Ian Dowie 14/1

Jim Magilton 14/1

Alan Shearer 16/1

Chris Coleman 16/1

Paul Jewell 16/1

Dean Wikins 16/1

Steve Clarke 16/1

Dennis Wise 16/1

Martin O'Neill 16/1

Alan Curbishley 20/1

Paul Ince 20/1

Gary Megson 20/1

Kevin Blackwell 20/1

Micky Adams 22/1

Steve Coppell 25/1

Kevin Keegan 25/1

Chris Wilder 25/1

Alan Knill 28/1

Jim Gannon 28/1

Jeff Kenna 33/1

Dan Petrescu 40/1

Carlton Palmer 66/1

Matthew Le Tissier 100/1

5/1. How sure are you in pounds?

This is the latest I have

Gianfranco Zola 3/1

Phil Brown 5/1

Paul Tisdale 7/1

Eddie Howe 8/1

Gareth Southgate 8/1

Glenn Hoddle 10/1

Tony Mowbray 10/1

Ian Dowie 14/1

Jim Magilton 14/1

Alan Shearer 16/1

Chris Coleman 16/1

Paul Jewell 16/1

Dean Wikins 16/1

Steve Clarke 16/1

Dennis Wise 16/1

Martin O'Neill 16/1

Alan Curbishley 20/1

I'm surprised they don't seem to have had someone lined up before giving Pardew the push. That would seem to suggest that it wasn't particularly planned. Has anyone come up with the theory that Cortese was annoyed that Pards didn't play Guly for longer at the weekend?

Skybet:

E Howe 4/1 G Zola 9/2 P Brown 5/1

I Dowie 11/2 M O'Neill 7/1 A Shearer 10/1

K Blackwell 12/1 P Tisdale 16/1 P Ince 16/1

N Adkins 20/1 J Magilton 20/1 D Wilkins 20/1

S Coppell 20/1 G Hoddle 22/1 C Coleman 22/1

G Southgate 22/1 D Wise 25/1 A Curbishley 25/1

T Mowbray 25/1 P Jewell 25/1 K Hill 25/1

G Megson 25/1 S Tilson 33/1 -

Do you know the answer? I don't. Where are the lines? Are we actually asking how many clubs changing manager has worked for? Because all clubs have got rid of a rubbish manager at some point, and most have probably got rid of someone who should have had longer. Should we have stuck with Gray and not appointed Strachan? Stuck with Wotte another season? Should we have sacked Strachan before he left of his own accord?

The only thing that matters is who comes in and if they can do a good job. As always, you want them to stay a few years, but there's no way of knowing what willl happen. We get these silly threads when a new manager comes saying things like 'give him 3 years at least', but of course we won't if he's rubbish. Generally I'd say a full season to prove themselves, and then keep backing them if they're getting the best out of their squad/transfer budget etc. That's all a manager can do. But this season, with our squad and needing promotion, I don't see why any manager can't come in now and take us up. It's hardly a -10 and complete rebuild, it's mid-table with an excellent and settled squad.

Which was precisely the point I was making. Citing one successful example does not prove the case for anything.

West Ham were awful and had no money. He got them mid-table then kept them up while in a mess. Not a brilliant job, but not a massive failure in the circumstances.

Di Matteo and Poyet came into management with no experience and have done alright.

He managed to spend decent money on players like Diamanti etc, whilst also having 3.England internationals, 1 who should have been at the world cup, and players like Mark Noble, and they were awful.