New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Still doesn't show anything.

It would mean (slightly) more, if league level was allocated a points system, as with the golden boot across europe. But then of course, it rules out lower level managers a bit. ie. prem win = 5 points, div 2 = 4 points, div 3 = 3 points, conference = 2 points, or something like that. but it would still mean very little.

I mean, if Mourinho went to Blackpool, won 8 games and kept them up, got stuffed every other week, ruined his win ratio and stats, he'd still have achieved and improved his reputation.

Or more to the point, last year's Real Madrid manager, coming second with their RECORD points tally and getting sacked for failing. great win ratio, but expectation deemed it insufficient.

I think that it is perfectly reasonable to ignore the league level you are at. Lets face it, you acquire players appropriate for the level you are at and get them to perform for the level you are at. A 100% record at league one with league one players is just as good an achievement as a 100% record in the premiership with premiership players.

OK this is a bit naughty and I apologise but I can't resist it. Not attention seeking either just as impatient as the rest of you because other than this chap and the fact Howe has had an interview I haven't an inkling who our next manager is, and only know about these two people from sources well away from the club.

I know for a fact at least one ex-Saint based overseas has definately applied for the job.

Please no PMs as I am not at liberty to disclose who it is.

Don't think he will get it but you never know.

After

Petrescue?

This is so opposite to what I thought NC would do as far as a manager is concerned.

Adkins has done well with scunny but he also got them relegated before getting them back to the ccc, he has never managed in the premiership so I still see this as a massive gamble.

One thing is for sure, the bums on seats will suffer for a while.

If he gets the job I'll support him 100%, buy I cannot get overley enthused by his appointment.

Well - if it was Martin O'Neil who would enthuse you then you were seriously deluded. Adkins has every right to be considered and quite a few people on here need to get over themselves -some of the names quoted were never going to come.

Adkins would do a great job here, people debating his record are just stupid - he's only been in management for 4 years, and in that time he's got little ol' Sc*nthorpe promoted twice from L1, and then kept them up in the Championship on a shoestring budget. In my view, if you can do a job like that on no money, then you can do even better with some money. We have a better squad than Scunny did, better facilities, a fanbase that (when they can be arsed), will turn out in their thousands to spurr on the team and thanks to Markus, we have enough money to develop the important areas of the club so we don't have to spend millions on players in the future as we'll be developing quality players ourselves.

ok wait for it...................................LAMO I cant beleive Im writing this.

ERIC CANTONA lamo! Someone just text me to say he is staying the Chilworth Manor (just to add I dont beleive it but its worth a laugh)

Heard the exact same thing, during a meal it was discussed, someone close to Cortese (without giving away the details of who). All very vague & deniable. Apparently the enigmatic Frenchman is wanting to cut his teeth in the British leagues to prepare for the United job but I don't believe it. People would have said & he'd certainly get noticed.

8772_b.jpg

I'd like either but hope King Kev (he'd get to see Sarah Marie & it's the more plausible & possible)

79053515.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA04728822CDE78714CEBFF7E75C9A317CB7905C8028D78D83

Edited by Gordon Mockles

Its looks that way. when will chairman learn to leave it to the mangers to to get on with it. Interference never helps and just causes all sorts of problems. Its so depressing that we SEEM to have another chairman who is starting to come across as Lowe Mark 2. Cortese just wants a yes man.

Initially he was in charge of his Boss's money, now he's in charge of his Boss's legacy; a far more emotive thing. I am sure he will do his very best to make sure he explores every avenue open to him; managers of all ilks will be spoken to and (IMHO) not too much should be read into whoever is "interviewed". IMHO i'd be suprised if there is an announcement before next week, but with the set up of the club (LR, etc), NC's iron-rod rule of the club (i know this from someone there) and his familiarity with Italian football and it's set up, i would also be suprised to see a traditional UK manager or even a younger "up and coming" manager installed as i don't think it would work.

One thing is for sure though, we can't afford to keep losing to the likes of Rochdale if we are to seriously mount a promotion challenge this year.

If it is Adkins, one thing that will work in his immediate favour is that our next 2 games are away. He won't have the pressure of the home fans on his back, and if he can win both of those games then we could be top 6 by the time Colchester visit, which would make for a much better atmosphere, and could build up the momentum we need.

I cannot believe that so many people are after a big name - we already struggle being a big name in this division, imagine the pressure with a big name manager. Nigel Adkins plays football the right way, is experienced in this division & the Championship and most importantly knows how to get out of L1. If people ignore everyone who has a relegation on their CV then we'll just kepp waiting for Sir Alex, Arsene or Jose to take the job shall we?

And please no KK, it always ends in tears with him... and if we appoint him then prepared to be let down.

I can understand what people are saying about Adkins, but I will not be excited by the appointment or upset by it.... a bit flatline really! Would prefer KK, or of course MoN but cannot see it now. I still think NC has been trying to twist MoN arm and he is the man he wants, but may have to go with what he can get... so Adkins?

Nigel adkins will be southamptons manager on thursday.

Fair choice if true.

Proven promotion achiever at this level, plays football the right way and appears to have a very "esprit de corps" management style.

His appointment might be underwhelming to many Saints fans, but so was the likes of Strachan and Pearson, who soon won the fans round.

As for all this "marquee signing" of the likes of O'Neill I think we are forgetting how far down the list of wines and spirits we currently sit - And it was never on the cards!

If it is Adkins then we should all get behind him, welcome him and support him.

Fair choice if true.

Proven promotion achiever at this level, plays football the right way and appears to have a very "esprit de corps" management style.

His appointment might be underwhelming to many Saints fans, but so was the likes of Strachan and Pearson, who soon won the fans round.

As for all this "marquee signing" of the likes of O'Neill I think we are forgetting how far down the list of wines and spirits we currently sit - And it was never on the cards!

If it is Adkins then we should all get behind him, welcome him and support him.

Logically MON wasn't going to come to us,if by some miracle he came to us,I could not see it lasting long before he fell out with the managment.

I would be fairly happy with Adkins....and of course we have to get behind him if he is appointed.

Radio Solent this morning from their sources at the club:

understand manager in place by weekend

not Brown

will be up and coming English manager

Adkins most likely

when solent put their serious voice on and say "we understand from sources at the club" they are normally pretty accurate.

Adknis might not be the most exciting manager, nor the one who will walk in and make an instant impact to the club, team and fans - but does seem to be a sensible appointment.

I cannot believe that so many people are after a big name - we already struggle being a big name in this division, imagine the pressure with a big name manager. Nigel Adkins plays football the right way, is experienced in this division & the Championship and most importantly knows how to get out of L1. If people ignore everyone who has a relegation on their CV then we'll just kepp waiting for Sir Alex, Arsene or Jose to take the job shall we?

And please no KK, it always ends in tears with him... and if we appoint him then prepared to be let down.

I've been a flag waver for Keegan but must admit I'm coming around to the notion of a more low key appointment the more I think about it.

On reflection, I think you're right - the last thing we probably need this season is a media circus that comes with a 'headline grabbing' appointment. As you say, there's enough 'big club' pressure affecting us already.

Therefore...welcome Mr Adkins.

(assuming it's him of course!)

when solent put their serious voice on and say "we understand from sources at the club" they are normally pretty accurate.

Adknis might not be the most exciting manager, nor the one who will walk in and make an instant impact to the club, team and fans - but does seem to be a sensible appointment.

This isn't a dig at Adkins as he's a good manager, but that's the problem i have. Cortese needed to appoint someone who would have an instant impact, pull all fans on side and instantly demand the respect of the players.

To me, he's also a step down from Pardew. He's only been a manager for 3/4 years i think? Before that he was a physio and he's had no experience of top flight football at all. I thought that was one of the requirements?

This is a risk that he didn't need to take if its true.

Edited by S-Clarke

Radio Solent this morning from their sources at the club:

understand manager in place by weekend

not Brown

will be up and coming English manager

Adkins most likely

Hmm. "by the weekend". So Friday is the new tomorrow.

Won't give him (whoever) much time to make any assessment of, or impact on, the players, so in effect it will still be Wilkins's team on Saturday. We could really do with winning these away games , not just for the points but also to take the pressure off for the next home game, the new manager's first in charge in front of the majority of fans. What I'm dreading is a bad start at home with idiot fans chanting "you don't know what you're doing " or Pardew's name.

This would seem to demonstrate he isn't a sensible appointment

would suggest most sensible appointment is one who will get us most points by the end of the season and work well with the chairman - not one who is just to excite fans and impress players in the first week.

If any manager achieves a decent winning streak will soon excite and unite fans and players.

This instant impact people are mentioning is the problem for me as i see that as vital. The players and fans need this at the moment and the worst thing possible is for us to get off to a poor start under Adkins then the problem will intensify.

A high profile manager would of put bums on seats and generated a feel good factor that may of seen them through any prolonged bad spell.

Whoever comes in needs our support and all the player bashing i.e Puncheon needs to stop.

This instant impact people are mentioning is the problem for me as i see that as vital. The players and fans need this at the moment and the worst thing possible is for us to get off to a poor start under Adkins then the problem will intensify.

A high profile manager would of put bums on seats and generated a feel good factor that may of seen them through any prolonged bad spell.

Whoever comes in needs our support and all the player bashing i.e Puncheon needs to stop.

+1 totally agree.

This...

Adkins would do a great job here, people debating his record are just stupid - he's only been in management for 4 years, and in that time he's got little ol' Sc*nthorpe promoted twice from L1, and then kept them up in the Championship on a shoestring budget. In my view, if you can do a job like that on no money, then you can do even better with some money. We have a better squad than Scunny did, better facilities, a fanbase that (when they can be arsed), will turn out in their thousands to spurr on the team and thanks to Markus, we have enough money to develop the important areas of the club so we don't have to spend millions on players in the future as we'll be developing quality players ourselves.

Low key manager and I cannot see the players coming here, and even some leaving in the next transfer window. I will be very worried about the future. I can see through this but some of the players will not and will not see this as ambitious. He is not the right man for Southampton FC overall.

Backward step IMO.

You put it much better than me.

+1

We need an impact manager to connect with the team immediately and attract a couple of decent loans. The squad quality is largely good enough to deliver promotion.

You were the one slagging Pardew off for failing to address glaring deficiencies in the squad over the summer. Consistency was never your thing though was it? Moron.

would suggest most sensible appointment is one who will get us most points by the end of the season and work well with the chairman - not one who is just to excite fans and impress players in the first week.

If any manager achieves a decent winning streak will soon excite and unite fans and players.

I agree with this, but I can't agree that a sensible appointment is one who doesn't make an instant impact on the club, team and fans. One thing for sure, after Saturday, is that this club is in desperate need of someone to galvanise the whole place immediately and provide impetus and direction.

Just to add to that, I think a big named manager was given until yesterday to make their mind up on the job, and has turned it down, now deciding to interview Adkins. I am just guessing and probably have it all wrong but seems to fit with the midweek appointment which is now being pushed out until Friday!

Mmm, it is not true to say that just because Adkins managed to get Scunny promoted on a shoestring, he will be able to do the same here with 'better' players. In fact I truly hacked-off seeing this myth bandied about on here. Fact of the matter is, a particular type of manager and managerial approach will suit a particular squad make-up. Saints squad is effectively nearly all Pardews boys selected to do a job for his approach, tactics and strategy.

To look at it from another direction, Adkins success has come about by applying his 'way' with a completely different squad make-up. Why should it work with Saints squad? I'm not confident atall that it will.

Then of course there's the question of motivating and galvanising support. Instant success will be expected I dare say.

We need an impact manager to connect with the team immediately and attract a couple of decent loans. The squad quality is largely good enough to deliver promotion.

The time for being patient and easing a new manager in is long, long gone.

Absolutely!

What also concerns me is that the person who gets the job might not possibly be the best candidate, but maybe the only candidate willing to do it NC's way.

Phill Brown just been on talk sport confirming he was interviewed for saints job on Monday. Might explain why every taxi driver in the area saw him.

Seems to like telling the public his every move. That wont go down well with NC. Maybe they have interviewed the unemployed people first while they get permission to speak to those employed.

You have to say Adkins has done a great job at Scunny and is a up & coming Manager even the season they got relegated from the CCC they played very nice football he may well do a great job.

Not many of us were over the moon when Pards was appointed but I think he did a good job I wish he was still in charge so who knows if it is Adkins it might well work out.

I believe that NC is a control freak and wont want a bid name or someone he can't control so I think all the grandstand appointments may be off the mark.

I wish he would just get on with it we need sorting out the last two performances have not been acceptable I dont mind us getting beat when we have put everything in like Plymouth & Bolton but I can't accept the Swindon & Rochdale performances and want it sorted.

If it was him they would surely have announced it by now. Either it never was him, or we wanted him and he turned it down, or he accepted the job but Cortese got cold feet.

Or he was put off by Cortese's insistance that the "Manager" is answerable to everyone above Car Parking Attendant

(Car Parking Attendants are a law unto themselves .......... just ask Keegan

Horses for Courses for me, so Adkins is the right choice........ Proven at this level (THIRD)

Still a bit weird that Adkins has been favourite for a few days, but we are only interviewing him today.... how do the bookies know these things?

because they recruit people who are exceptionally good at finding things out for them. If you can get that sort of job with a top bookies then you could probably sail into 5 or 6 as well. My dad had a longstanding friend who was an East London bookie, not much he didn't know about anything that concerned his business (and a lot of other sombre stuff as well)