New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

I have no doubt that NC will make Martin ONeil his no 1 target no matter how likely or unlikely he is to drop 2 leagues.

Don't like your use of the word "will".

I would have hoped by now if MoN is the man NC wants then an approach would have been made before now.

I still fancy Steve Coterill - would kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks, Buctootim, thats the clearest that I have yet to see. The Channel Islands are a strange case though, being part of the British Islands but not part of the British Isles although since 1st January 1983 they are part of the UK for nationality purposes.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/nationalityinstructions/nisec2gensec/Britishoverseasterritories?view=Binary

Steve Cotterill was interviewed this morning on the Alan Brazil show (I know, I know its a daft programme but I was waiting for the money man to appear a few minutes later - honest) on Talkspor'.

SC would never win any prizes for being articulate but he spoke a lot of sense about the impossibility of blooding too many youngsters at the same time (as we all know to our cost!!). Most interestingly Alan Brazil tried to get him to say something derogoratory about the "turmoil down the road at southampton." SC completely refused. "He is a football man and does not like to gloat. Southampton have just lost their owner and now is not the time to relish in their misfortune" (or words to that effect). He refused to say anything bad about us and made Brazil look a complete pratt (not difficult I know).

He went up a notch in my estimation.

I would have hoped by now if MoN is the man NC wants then an approach would have been made before now.

kill two clubs with 1 stone! on par with Hart (or maybe below!!)

Ireland isn't in the British Isles just like London isn't Londres.

The "British Isles" is a geographical area containing the Island of Ireland (Ulster and Eire), Great Britain (England, Wales & Scotland) and the surrounding outlying islands such as the Isle of Man and Channel Islands. It is not a political entity or a nation state.

The UK is a political entity containing Great Britain and Northern Island (part of ther island of Ireland)

It really isn't that complicated. So yes, Ireland is in fact in the British Isles but this doesn't mean it is part of Britain which is purley a political construct as well as a geographical area within the wider British Isles!

Steve Cotterill was interviewed this morning on the Alan Brazil show (I know, I know its a daft programme but I was waiting for the money man to appear a few minutes later - honest) on Talkspor'.

SC would never win any prizes for being articulate but he spoke a lot of sense about the impossibility of blooding too many youngsters at the same time (as we all know to our cost!!). Most interestingly Alan Brazil tried to get him to say something derogoratory about the "turmoil down the road at southampton." SC completely refused. "He is a football man and does not like to gloat. Southampton have just lost their owner and now is not the time to relish in their misfortune" (or words to that effect). He refused to say anything bad about us and made Brazil look a complete pratt (not difficult I know).

Did he mention anything about whether Northern Ireland is British?

SC would never win any prizes for being articulate but he spoke a lot of sense about the impossibility of blooding too many youngsters at the same time (as we all know to our cost!!).

Funnily enough he is being slated by Skates for being so openly negative about these youngsters. Questions haev been raised why Marlon Pack has been sent out on loan whilst they can't field a full bench.

Even the term British Isles is political. The republicans over there tend to use "Britain and Ireland" to describe the same geographical entity.

A while back, someone suggested Iona ( Islands of the North Atlantic ) as an alternative term to describe the area.

One could mount a good argument as to whether Britain is actually British anymore. Most of it is owned by Overseas People

I heard a good argument the other day about foreigners coming over here and buying all the property. Cant recall where I was now - Provence, Dordogne, Brittany, Spanish Costas, Florida, Antigua - somewhere like that.

For any of you who have heard interviews with cotterill i am surprised he gets a job anywhere. I think we should be realistic about who we will end up with, yes it was a surprise to get Pardew but to get MON would be as big a coup as the Keegan signing even if some dont think he is right for us.

As a former season ticket holder at Cheltenham I can confirm Steve is one of the nicest blokes in football. Very passionate and a great man manager although his tactics may get found out at a higher level. Nothing less than i've come to expect from Steve.

How about a challenge? Premiership in three years time and his stock will have returned big time!

Plenty of challenges will come to light in the Premiership and the CCC in the next 12 months. If say Roy Hodgson has a mare at Liverpool an gets the boot (unlikley I know) wouldn't that be a challange? The Forrest job could become available as could any number of foreign clubs impressed by his time at Celtic. The fact people are failing to recognise it that he got Villa to a cup final, a semi final and into the Uefa cup two years running. From the starting point when he took over that is a bloody decent showing and not a managerial record to suggest he needs to drop two divisions to improve his `stock'. His stock is bloody sky high already. Maybe not Alex Furguson high but not too many steps down.

Plenty of challenges will come to light in the Premiership and the CCC in the next 12 months. If say Roy Hodgson has a mare at Liverpool an gets the boot (unlikley I know) wouldn't that be a challange? The Forrest job could become available as could any number of foreign clubs impressed by his time at Celtic. The fact people are failing to recognise it that he got Villa to a cup final, a semi final and into the Uefa cup two years running. From the starting point when he took over that is a bloody decent showing and not a managerial record to suggest he needs to drop two divisions to improve his `stock'. His stock is bloody sky high already. Maybe not Alex Furguson high but not too many steps down.

you maybe right Chez, I just feel theres a chance! even if it is just on the history of the club!

This MON thing on here is rediculous. The guy was not long ago touted as the next Man U manager. Why the **** would he drop down two leagues to manage us? There is no chance of him being our next manager IMO. None at all.

Did you ever think a former Man City/Lazio/Benfica/England manager would end up in League Two?

Money and ambition can talk in football and tempt people towards an interesting challenge at a lower level. I'm not saying it would work with O'Neill, however it would tempt some higher profile candidates, so there is no harm trying.

Is n't the master plan to fund SFC to become a top 6 premier league club - outside of the top 4/5 clubs which all have established managers there's not really any clubs where they have the funding and ambition to give MoN what he wants - therefore I think that SFC becomes a very interesting project for anyone - I am sure that NC can paint himself in a good light and prove the funds will be there to tempt MoN

The trouble for any manager "waiting" is that who ever you are your stock goes down the longer you are out of work. Take Jewell for example, I think he took the Derby job for that very reason and becaus ehe couldnt win there (on and off the field) his career has gone. Before the Derby job he was one of the best out of work managers (if that makes sense?!). On that occassion he took the wrong job but made the move wuickly mot to be out of wrok...look at him now!!

Mark Hughes said almost as much when he took over at Fulham though that it wasnt a case of taking any job but taking one quite quickly.

That could be what O'Neil is thinking.....and we are on paper one hell of an opportunity for someone to grab some glory.

Did you ever think a former Man City/Lazio/Benfica/England manager would end up in League Two?

Money and ambition can talk in football and tempt people towards an interesting challenge at a lower level. I'm not saying it would work with O'Neill, however it would tempt some higher profile candidates, so there is no harm trying.

Fair point, but Eriksson didn't go there to be the manager did he?

The trouble for any manager "waiting" is that who ever you are your stock goes down the longer you are out of work. Take Jewell for example, I think he took the Derby job for that very reason and becaus ehe couldnt win there (on and off the field) his career has gone. Before the Derby job he was one of the best out of work managers (if that makes sense?!). On that occassion he took the wrong job but made the move wuickly mot to be out of wrok...look at him now!!

Mark Hughes said almost as much when he took over at Fulham though that it wasnt a case of taking any job but taking one quite quickly.

That could be what O'Neil is thinking.....and we are on paper one hell of an opportunity for someone to grab some glory.

Another fair point, but the difference here is that MON won trophies with Celtic and wasn't far away with Villa. His stock has a long long way to fall before he starts to get overlooked for jobs.

This is some thread!!! Im from Northern Ireland and i am British, it says that on my passport. I am a part of the UK but not Great Britain as it is 'Great Britain and Northern Ireland', separate entities. And finally, one thing we can all agree on...Martin O Neill would be a fantastic appointment.

Another fair point, but the difference here is that MON won trophies with Celtic and wasn't far away with Villa. His stock has a long long way to fall before he starts to get overlooked for jobs.

True...I think he did his best work at Leicester mind you...albeit longer ago!

The prdicament I think MON fins himself in is that Wenger, Ferguson, Redknapp (hate to put his name or his club up there, but have to be fair!), and Hodgson will be at their respective clubs for at least this season and probably at least two or three to come. This obviously limits the options of anyone who wants to be at a "top4/5 club".

UNLESS you find another club who wants to get there.......other than the monwy you get in the Prem...there wont be too many clubs with potentially more money than us behind them, half a dozen maybe. Who knows, I think it is possible even if unlikely. Trouble is Im not too set on anyone else!!

I think Cortese would be Daft to get O'Neil

Not because O'Neil is not very good, far from it, he is TOO GOOD

Does anyone REALLY think that, in a few months, when the reality of Division Three football sinks home, that he would not want the Big Time again ??

He would not stay for the "Plan" to be realised. There is no loyalty left in the game, and Contracts are only worth the Pay Off Clause

Interesting that list - Pardew is the only Saints manager since 1911 to win more than 50% of his matches in charge. Also in the first 100 odd years we had 17 different managers (to Lawrie M) and since then we've had 18 different managers (Chris Nichol to Alan Pardew).

Interesting wikipedia fact..

AP had our highest win percentage (OK, also he money, resources etc) since Alfred McMinn, manager from08 August 1896 to 05 May 1897. I know this doesn't really mean a lot in the context of other managers handling promotions and so on, as well, but it's still something I was quite surprised by.

Does the Five Year Plan have ambitions for us to be bigger than Villa in the Premiership - MON's frustration, as it has been reported, is that there was little progression or reward to the Villa job - they basically peaked around 6th and did nothing after that - they certainly didnt look like breaking into the Champion's League places; in turn he wasnt offered a bigger transfer kitty and while that's not a bad thing since Lerner is probably one of the more responsible owners in the game, it did make it difficult for MON to reproduce the same form over and over as rivals like City and Spuds were flashing the chequebook.

Nobody can deny that there's a progression and challenge to leading a team from the lower leagues to the top - it was sufficient to induce Erikkson to move to Notts County; but I do wonder what our ambitions if we do make it to the premiership. If our ambitions are limitless, who knows. If its to hold our own a la Fulham or Blackburn, that might be a turn off to somebody who sees us as a long-term project. And selling ourselves as a long-term project is the only way we could attract somebody with the callibre of MON. A long shot anyway but if so even more of a pipedream.

Edited by shurlock

I think you'll find that people from Northern Ireland are British citizens. Although they do have the option to take up Irish citizenship or both.

Correct! Someone born in NI is entitled by birth to a British passport. However, because of the Republic's historic claim, they will issue an Irish passport if requested.