New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

Anyone mentioned Gary Megson.Not trawled through all the pages, but name mentioned to me last night from not a reliable source..........ex premiership manager.......would be under-welmed if true.

Oh god no....he is an awful manager, I would much rather Phil Brown than him and I think he would be a massive mistake.

apologies for re posting my comment from the 'announcment' thread but i think it is relevent....

"If it were to be Adkins unveiled as the new manager firstly he would have to resign from S****horpe.

Until we hear of such news i thiink it is more unlikely to be him.

As soon as that is announced we will know who the next gaffer is,the longer it goes without his resignation i beleive it points to someone else....mmm i wonder."

apologies for re posting my comment from the 'announcment' thread but i think it is relevent....

"If it were to be Adkins unveiled as the new manager firstly he would have to resign from S****horpe.

Until we hear of such news i thiink it is more unlikely to be him.

As soon as that is announced we will know who the next gaffer is,the longer it goes without his resignation i beleive it points to someone else....mmm i wonder."

Completely irrelevant. He can resign from Scunny without either side making it public anyway.

Would be very underwhelmed if it is Adkins.

Completely irrelevant. He can resign from Scunny without either side making it public anyway.

Would be very underwhelmed if it is Adkins.

FFS. Last time I looked, Scu nthorpe played in a higher league than us. They are mid-table with a respectable 6 points from four games. They have played and beaten the League One leaders this season in the Cup.

FFS. Last time I looked, Scu nthorpe played in a higher league than us. They are mid-table with a respectable 6 points from four games. They have played and beaten the League One leaders this season in the Cup.

I agree with him that it is an underwhelming appointment considering Pardew leaving.

Adkins is hardly exciting, he has done just OK at S****horpe, is that where our sights are now?

I can't see a rush of fans wanting to turn up in excitement. I will accept his appointment but I doubt the players will be on their toes and on a high.

What I can't understand is why everybody thinks it is Adkins when sky,the echo and others are reporting that 2 premier league managers have applied for the job....ok,I know we probably have a wage budget to work to and perhaps a prem manager may not know how to get us out of this league but if prem quality managers are applying then that should tell us that our club is actually a desired job and perhaps we should be fishing a bit deeper than some of the names mentioned.

I have a feeling that Adkins is just a smokescreen,he may well of been approached and told he is on the shortlist but I just cannot see cortese appointing somebody that the press have been speculating on,he would see the leak as failure IMO.

Edited by lordswoodsaints

What I can't understand is why everybody thinks it is Adkins when sky,the echo and others are reporting that 2 premier league managers have applied for the job....ok,I know we probably have a wage budget to work to and perhaps a prem manager may not know how to get us out of this league but if prem quality managers are applying then that should tell us that our club is actually a desired job and perhaps we should be fishing a bit deeper than some of the names mentioned.

Why is getting us out of this league seen as some sort of mystery that managers from other levels will somehow struggle to solve. It's just football.

Why is getting us out of this league seen as some sort of mystery that managers from other levels will somehow struggle to solve. It's just football.

I know that, but some people on here think that only managers that have been through the lower league mix before are qualified.........me?, I say aim as high as you can afford,anybody who doesn't have at least prem experience wouldn't even get a second glance tbh.

If it's true that the job has been downgraded to someone working alongside the Football Development & Support Centre, first team management will no longer have the same priority. This is a recipe for internal conflict and not likely to attract some experienced managers. Hard to see any top manager willing to work alongside, with equal status to, the youth team manager, because that is what Reed's position effectively is. Someone out of work and desperate for a job looks the most likely outcome and if he did well, he'd soon be off to a club where he could have full control.

My faith in Cortese was already falling over the various other issues, including the stupid photo policy. Its now close to zero. I'm just pleased I don't have a season ticket, as I can choose whether to go to games or not.

Makes sense, Yank owner etc. I like the idea of Guernsey being the hotbed for exclusives.

A COLLEAGUE AT WORK HAS JUST TEXT ME TO SAY TONY MEOLA IS AT GUERNSEY AIRPORT ABOUT TO BOARD THE 0950 FLYBE FLIGHT TO SOUTHAMPTON!!!

I can see the deal being done today, it was mentioned in the Guernsey Press yesterday and he is still odds on favourite out here. Experience wise I think he is a risk, however he is well connected and if he can bring in a decent assistant or a more experienced Director of Football I can really see it working.

I have a feeling that Adkins is just a smokescreen,he may well of been approached and told he is on the shortlist but I just cannot see cortese appointing somebody that the press have been speculating on,he would see the leak as failure IMO.

WHY would two failed Prem Managers want to drop down Two Leagues to manage Saints ???

Oh Yeah ........... They are out of Work

And, if they Got Saints up and running again, would they jump ship at the first opportubity, to take the first offer to get back to the Prem

Bl**dy right they would ......... So much for "stability"

Cortese beware, getting a "High Profile" Man in could come back and bite you

A COLLEAGUE AT WORK HAS JUST TEXT ME TO SAY TONY MEOLA IS AT GUERNSEY AIRPORT ABOUT TO BOARD THE 0950 FLYBE FLIGHT TO SOUTHAMPTON!!!

I can see the deal being done today, it was mentioned in the Guernsey Press yesterday and he is still odds on favourite out here. Experience wise I think he is a risk, however he is well connected and if he can bring in a decent assistant or a more experienced Director of Football I can really see it working.

Never heard of him. Not really going to happen is it?!

From wiki - Meola is now coaching his son's U12 soccer club in Toms River, NJ

Biggest LOL ever if he gets the job.

If it's true that the job has been downgraded to someone working alongside the Football Development & Support Centre, first team management will no longer have the same priority. This is a recipe for internal conflict and not likely to attract some experienced managers. Hard to see any top manager willing to work alongside, with equal status to, the youth team manager, because that is what Reed's position effectively is. Someone out of work and desperate for a job looks the most likely outcome and if he did well, he'd soon be off to a club where he could have full control.

My faith in Cortese was already falling over the various other issues, including the stupid photo policy. Its now close to zero. I'm just pleased I don't have a season ticket, as I can choose whether to go to games or not.

It's a system that could work but would need the 1st team manager and head of the development centre to know each other inside out IMO. if they don't think the same way about how to achieve success then there will be conflict and in the end, failure.

If the centre can produce the very finest quality players and the 1st team manager can integrate them fluidly then we could be really strong for years to come without spending fortunes on stars that have been produced else where.

In theory it sounds great but I think the chances of it working are incredibly slim.

The more I think about it though, the more I think MON could be the man that could make it work, if he wanted too!

His style of football is what we are after, he has brought youth through to the highest level and he is the kind of person to go against what everyone else expects him to do. If he and NC can agree on how the club should be run then stick to it then we could have the best chance of making it work.

Agree with you on this prof....

My biggest worry is that DOF Director of Development is not going to stay out of First team arena...

Even if we get a Manager who suggests he can work with the system ..How soon will he be undermined ......At a much bigger club

it works in a way but the top Managers still run the football team..

They continually watered down the authority of Pards and made his position untenable..

WHY would two failed Prem Managers want to drop down Two Leagues to manage Saints ???

Oh Yeah ........... They are out of Work

And, if they Got Saints up and running again, would they jump ship at the first opportubity, to take the first offer to get back to the Prem

Bl**dy right they would ......... So much for "stability"

Cortese beware, getting a "High Profile" Man in could come back and bite you

Who said anything about 'failed' prem managers?,they could well be current managers looking for a fresh challenge... Tbh most managers have failed at some point.

You could probably count on one hand the number of clubs out of 91 that have had long term managers in place,people shouldnt be worried with having a high yield of managers.....spurs,man city,Liverpool,Chelsea all seem to be doing ok.

Tbh I don't give a rats arse about stability,because it doesn't really exist,players and managers come and go and if they do well they deserve to better themselves,we might not be happy about it but that's the reality.

My only concern is getting my club up the leagues and if that means changing the manager every year or two then so be it.

Loyalty in football is a very very rare thing,so we have to accept that players will come and go but this doesn't mean our club is unstable it just means that our club is as normal as the rest of the 91 clubs.

This system of committee works in Europe. In places such as Lyon, where it creates continuity... managers come and go but the strength is in the committee. That way, Lyon were able to be promoted from the lower leagues and make their way in to the CL in a remarkably short space of time.

Whether it would work here or not is another matter, but its clearly a model that can be followed with the right staff.

Tend to agree with this, if this is the way Cortese is angling for then there is no way I can see MON or any other top manager agreeing or not falling out over 1st team decisions. I could see the concept working if it is done the other way around with the main decisions about the running of the club/playing systems/style of play however you want to describe it coming from the chairman & manager downwards. But never will it work with Reed & academy people involved in decision making.

This system of committee works in Europe. In places such as Lyon, where it creates continuity... managers come and go but the strength is in the committee. That way, Lyon were able to be promoted from the lower leagues and make their way in to the CL in a remarkably short space of time.

Whether it would work here or not is another matter, but its clearly a model that can be followed with the right staff.

It also works in a fashion at some of the Top PL clubs, in varying degrees as to who is the actual DOF/Manager.

Chelsea don't rip up everything every time they change managers and we've seen lots of evidence at Man City of the "DOF" type body being involved in player purchases etc.

The core system CAN be made to work, it is a management STRUCTURE. Structure is actually completely irrelevant. It is how it is IMPLEMENTED that is the key. Should the 1st Team manager sit at every Board Meeting and know all the intricacies of the situation around the club as a business or should he sit in the training ground in isolation?

The ONLY system that will ALWAYS fail is one where NO change or development or improvement exists - The Implementation must depend on the ability, skills, knowledge and talents of the people INSIDE the structure.

So if it is a cartoon DOF system it will fail. If it is a system built around the people it could work.

Our concerns are based on the assumption that NC is some control freak - we will soon find out. Does the implementation fit the people or fit some half baked ideal?

http://www.paddypower.com/football/football-specials/manager-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=348943

He's even at 15/8 for Saints to be his next job! Maybe some people have had tip offs and shoved loads of money on him? His odds from different bookies have plummeted.

Just like they did with Hart, Howe, Zola, Adkins and Brown!!! Love the way people twist reasoning behind odds to suit them.

I don't believe the official statement so I can only speculate about Cortese's motives but it seems to me that he needs to make clear what are his priorities. Does he want a team that will get promoted this year and go on the challenge in the Champ without a huge makeover next year, or is it to bring on quality players from the Academy that will save on transfer fees in 4 or 5 years time? It might be possible to have both but only if the new manager has full control of the first team, while Reed does his job without interfereing in first team affairs, and that includes which players to bring in.

from Wiki... lol especially re: Stu.

Southampton

On 7th September, Martin O'Neill was announced as new Southampton manager by chairman Nicola Cortese. O'Neill penned a three year deal and brings assistant John Robertson with him. It was also announced that StuRomseySaint has been appointed new sporting director to work above O'Neill.