Shares

dune

Thought i'd have a little dabble and just joined "thesharecentre" which is an online share buying site and i''ve hit buy to get £100 worth of shares in BP when the stock exchange opens tomorrow at 8 am. It should be fun, and once i've got the hang of it and read the FT (ha ha) i'll be having a little flutter on some weird and wonderful options.:)

I'll give W H Ireland a miss though. Anyone else into this **** or thinking about having a punt?

I was thinking about putting a few quid on something - although I can't really say that I follow the market so don't really know what I could invest in. Any solid first-time investor options folks?

I went with BP because of it's huge falls - which I think it can and will recover from. Also today it went from 436p to 429p, so i'm hoping i've got in just right for the bounceback.;)

Thought i'd have a little dabble and just joined "thesharecentre" which is an online share buying site and i''ve hit buy to get £100 worth of shares in BP when the stock exchange opens tomorrow at 8 am. It should be fun, and once i've got the hang of it and read the FT (ha ha) i'll be having a little flutter on some weird and wonderful options.:)

I'll give W H Ireland a miss though. Anyone else into this **** or thinking about having a punt?

One of the other parents at my kids school gave up his day job as a plumber and trades professionally. He makes enough from it to pay the mortgage and bills.

One of the other parents at my kids school gave up his day job as a plumber and trades professionally. He makes enough from it to pay the mortgage and bills.

TBH Johnny i'm just going to punt a few quid here and there for the fun of it. I'll probably lose out spectacularly through the fee's with such small buys, but it's gotta be better than putting it on a horse or paying poker, and much like looking at the league table to see where Saints are it'll be fun to check in the paper everyday.

I take it seriously

If you have only a little money, then it is best to use a low cost index tracker within an ISA wrapper

That way, you get the tax benefits plus you get some diversification

If you are more serious, then an on line execution only broker is that way to go

It does no harm to read around the subject. This can be done weekly through investors chronicle or on line through sites such as http://www.fool.co.uk

However, the first decision to be made is - what are your goals? Are you just playing or will you be investing serious money. What is your attitude to risk?

Me, I run two portfolios

One is in the wife's name as she is risk adverse and it contains mostly blue chip companies with a strong dividend paying record. Many of these such as Tesco, GlaxoSmith Kline and Vodafone are at very attractive prices right now

My portfoilio contains riskier shares, but some with explosive growth possibilities such as African miners, small Oil companies etc I am prepared to take some risk, and in fact have had 2 100% losses over the past 2 years. Hence the reason why you need to spread your risks. However, I never panic, and often if a share drops in price, if I still believe the investment case, then I buy more

I would guess that over the past two years, I have probably realised about £18k, and both portfolios are nicely up

Any questions, do ask

http://www.nakedtrader.co.uk/ - worth following if you are interested.

I dabble and have had some good, some bad. Taylor Wimpey shares bought and sold about 18 months ago were good value.

Don't listen to anyone else though, make your own judgements. I bought a load of Provexis shares after a tip off from a mate that they were going to go. Still waiting........

Stock options and other derivatives are very dangerous for retail investors

Leverage is great when prices go up, but it is a zero sum game the potential to lose money is very high

All the literature suggests a buy and hold strategy for value shares with reinvested dividends is the best long term strategy

I take it seriously

If you have only a little money, then it is best to use a low cost index tracker within an ISA wrapper

If you are more serious, then an on line execution only broker is that way to go

It does no harm to read around the subject. This can be done weekly through investors chronicle or on line through sites such as http://www.fool.co.uk

However, the first decision to be made is - what are your goals? Are you just playing or will you be investing serious money. What is your attitude to risk?

Me, I run two portfolios

One is in the wife's name as she is risk adverse and it contains mostly blue chip companies with a strong dividend paying record. Many of these such as Tesco, GlaxoSmith Kline and Vodafone are at very attractive prices right now

My portfoilio contains riskier shares, but some with explosive growth possibilities such as African miners, small Oil companies etc I am prepared to take some risk, and in fact have had 2 100% losses over the past 2 years. Hence the reason why you need to spread your risks. However, I never panic, and often if a share drops in price, if I still believe the investment case, then I buy more

I would guess that over the past two years, I have probably realised about £18k, and both portfolios are nicely up

Any questions, do ask

Thanks for the advice. At this stage I have no questions, i'm just playing around and will soon pick it up - the fun is in the learning, and am about to take my BP holding upto 100 shares - roughly £430 pounds worth to make it nice and easy to see how i'm doing (lost 87p today though so not happy :x). Thereafter I like a gamble and had already looked at some African mining companies - I see you invest in African mining ~ where on the continent do they operate?

http://www.nakedtrader.co.uk/ - worth following if you are interested.

I dabble and have had some good, some bad. Taylor Wimpey shares bought and sold about 18 months ago were good value.

Don't listen to anyone else though, make your own judgements. I bought a load of Provexis shares after a tip off from a mate that they were going to go. Still waiting........

Cheers. My philosophy is that Eagles fly high and sheep flock together so i'll definitely be making my own judgements.

Just to add that this mining company really interests me:

African Consolidated Resources Plc.

They have recently had their mining rights taken from them by Mugabe and his Marxist cohorts (the Chinese), but I sense that Mugabe's power is waning and let's face it he'll soon be dead. This company interests me because the Marange diamond fields are rumoured to have vast quantities of undiscovered diamonds that may well surpass what we have seen come out of SA, hence the Chinese interest and the "secret" cargo planes that are in and out with guns for Mugabes henchmen and an "undisclosed" cargo out.

This is the latest statement from African consolidate Resources PLC:

Marange Update

African Consolidated Resources plc ("the Company"), the Zimbabwe-focused mineral exploration and development company, announces that the Zimbabwe High Court has decided to rescind its Judgement of September 2009 in favour of the Company which confirmed the validity of the Company's mining claims within the Marange diamond field. The Company will immediately appeal to the Supreme Court against the rescission. It is understood that the appeal will have the effect of suspending the rescission. The Company will issue a more detailed statement upon receipt and analysis of the written judgement

This comapny is valued at about 10p a share, but IMHO has the potential to rocket if they regain their mining rights and a stable country materialises.

That is where my next investment will be for sure. He who dares.

I take it seriously

Me, I run two portfolios

Any questions, do ask

TBF though the last 2 years it has been relatively easy to make large sums of money. I'm loving your definition of 'some risk' - African mining stocks represent a bit more than 'some risk'!

Potatoes.

Read an article yesterday about the potatoe market in the Independant.

iirc, the UK share of the market, which compared it to that of Pasta and Rice, was down about 3% last year. Younger geneartion like their pasta and rice dishes and the potatoe eaters tend to be aged 40+. Apart from the potatoe marketing board (one of the Quango's to escape the cull) launching a big media campaign soon, I can't se any turn around as potatoes simply do not have the appeasl and their is a wide misconception that pasta etc is more healthy.

HOWEVER; tucked away in that lengthy article is a little nugget that caught me eye and actually made me think of you:

"It is the world's fourth-biggest crop after rice, wheat, and maize. Even China is switching; it now grows more potatoes than anywhere else."

So, the Chinese like them and are already the biggest consumers in the World!

Don't know how anyone would find a company involved in the farming, production or distribution in China but there must ne a way of getting in on it somehow? Perhaps a western company who are advising them?

Take a look at NYO and TW.

Both bargains atm imo

I'm heavily into NYO and cannot believe how cheap they are at the moment. The next 6 - 12 months is going to be monumental.

Cheers

Tommi

P.S. This is not a recommendation for you all to go away and buy lots of NYO shares, take a look, do some research, if you like what you see join the club.

Potatoes.

Read an article yesterday about the potatoe market in the Independant.

iirc, the UK share of the market, which compared it to that of Pasta and Rice, was down about 3% last year. Younger geneartion like their pasta and rice dishes and the potatoe eaters tend to be aged 40+. Apart from the potatoe marketing board (one of the Quango's to escape the cull) launching a big media campaign soon, I can't se any turn around as potatoes simply do not have the appeasl and their is a wide misconception that pasta etc is more healthy.

HOWEVER; tucked away in that lengthy article is a little nugget that caught me eye and actually made me think of you:

"It is the world's fourth-biggest crop after rice, wheat, and maize. Even China is switching; it now grows more potatoes than anywhere else."

So, the Chinese like them and are already the biggest consumers in the World!

Don't know how anyone would find a company involved in the farming, production or distribution in China but there must ne a way of getting in on it somehow? Perhaps a western company who are advising them?

A very dodgy area (highly suseptible to the weather) and aside from a few co-operatives very small scale from production to distribution. The only way I would imagine you could buy into it would be through investing in seed potato manufacturers. Albert Bartletts would be the first place to look in the UK, but not sure if they're listed.

TBF though the last 2 years it has been relatively easy to make large sums of money. I'm loving your definition of 'some risk' - African mining stocks represent a bit more than 'some risk'!

It is some risk as they are only part of my high risk portfoilio

In reality, it pays to look at the whole investment holding

ISA - Index tracker, built up over 6-7 years, and probably worth twice the share portfolios

Low risk blue chip portfolio - Astrazeneca, Aviva, Balfour Beatty, BG Group, GlaxoSK, Dairy Crest, Kier, Tesco and Vodafone

Higher risk portfolio - Bellzone Mining, Chesnara, Dignity, Faroe Petroleum, Gulf Keystone, Hamla, Interserve, International Ferro, Kalahari, ROK

True, it has been easy to make money recently, but that is because I played, whereas a lot of people have stayed out of the markets

Right now, certain shares such as Tesco are at low term giveaway prices

Edited by thefunkygibbons
forgot one

It is some risk as they are only part of my high risk portfoilio

In reality, it pays to look at the whole investment holding

ISA - Index tracker, built up over 6-7 years, and probably worth twice the share portfolios

Low risk blue chip portfolio - Astrazeneca, Aviva, Balfour Beatty, BG Group, GlaxoSK, Dairy Crest, Kier, Tesco and Vodafone

Higher risk portfolio - Bellzone Mining, Chesnara, Dignity, Faroe Petroleum, Gulf Keystone, Hamla, Interserve, Kalahari, ROK

True, it has been easy to make money recently, but that is because I played, whereas a lot of people have stayed out of the markets

Right now, certain shares such as Tesco are at low term giveaway prices

Before investing in mining you need to know what they mine and what it means in relation to your projection for the future. With economies recovering I think there is still some mileage in gold (but it's had it's big rise so is it worth it?) and then you have to consider the inpending construction crash in China (what minerals go into construction?). I have long been watching silver and still it follows gold, but one day (maybe soon, probably not soon) it will break away from gold and realise it's true value as not only a precious metal - but as natures most efficient conductive metal. Silver therefore hasn't had it's day and it will one day be a very valuable industrial material due to the forementioned properties but that said I think those with an interest in silver maybe can afford to hold bak as I think it'll fall back with Gold before we finally see the link broken.

True

I much prefer Cooper, Platimium and in my case Uranium (hence the investment in Kalahari)

Uranium - I think that's shrewd. Ping me the name of the company please mate and i'll take a lot at their stats and do some reading on them and then i'll assess the stability of where they are digging. I am so tempted to really pump some dosh in a Rhodesian company (the one i mentioned) (and yeah my heart is thinking - so i'm slowly debating with myself on it - because Cecil Rhodes and Ian Smith are my life hero's and role models so i'd love to be involved with a Rhodesia firm) but it is very very risky. I have so far began a dialogue with firms Maidstone office and am trying to covertly glean the info I want with the tactic that rarely fails - FLATTERY - and if you want i'll share the info with you so YOU CAN DECIDE.

Uranium - I think that's shrewd. Ping me the name of the company please mate and i'll take a lot at their stats and do some reading on them and then i'll assess the stability of where they are digging.

It is Kalahari Minerals (KAH)

Market value £325m

Has substantial holdings in Namibia close to the Rossing deposit

Currently at close to 12 month low but expecting news flow later this year

Dune, invest in betfair instead. It's not that hard backing horses to lose (I should be quite good at it, ask Ladbrokes).

It's a mugs game so I'm really shocked you would suggest it. That's like Delldays pretending to be the most boring man on the forum - utterly unbelieveable!

Today: 165.5p

OK, i'm gonna let you become my financial adviser. Please bombard me with PM's and i'll bore the **** out of you in return. I have a dead serious plan - i'm going to turn 1000 pounds into a Million in 5 years 6 months, do you want in?

Always wanted to get into this, what advice would you give to someone just starting out. Im not even sure which website to use for trading etc.

For a beginner what sort of budget do you think is sensible, couple of hundred or am i likely not to make a worthwhile return unless i go up to thousands?

Always wanted to get into this, what advice would you give to someone just starting out. Im not even sure which website to use for trading etc.

For a beginner what sort of budget do you think is sensible, couple of hundred or am i likely not to make a worthwhile return unless i go up to thousands?

Join this. I have and it's dead easy. Cost you £7.50 or 1% (whichever is greatest) per transaction of shares and you get taxed and **** a few more pence. What this fee essentially means is that you're prudent to purchase in £750+ batches to spread the brokers fee better and you can even pay in (wit ur debit card) a bit here and there to ur share account cash bank and build it up there. There is a another fee of sumthing like £2 a quarter - so peanuts. Join up fella and ping me some PM's when you have cos i'm still learnng too. Also there is a forum, but for some reason i can't log on

https://www.share.com/a/index.html

I'm heavily into NYO and cannot believe how cheap they are at the moment. The next 6 - 12 months is going to be monumental.

Cheers

Tommi

P.S. This is not a recommendation for you all to go away and buy lots of NYO shares, take a look, do some research, if you like what you see join the club.

Just take a look at SOLG (were 5p, went to 75p in 3 days) to see the potentail of NYO. I have been buying since 7p and now holding with a medium term target of £0.40.

I expect an update soon - upgrade to 3m oz not to unrealistic imo

get the naked trader book!!

http://www.nakedtrader.co.uk/agree.htm

A very dodgy area (highly suseptible to the weather) and aside from a few co-operatives very small scale from production to distribution. The only way I would imagine you could buy into it would be through investing in seed potato manufacturers. Albert Bartletts would be the first place to look in the UK, but not sure if they're listed.

I take it that you are risk averse dune? however, i don't see the risk in the 'developing world's' track record in taking over world domination in the potato field:

http://www.potato2008.org/en/world/index.html

I take it that you are risk averse dune? however, i don't see the risk in the 'developing world's' track record in taking over world domination in the potato field:

http://www.potato2008.org/en/world/index.html

I really don't get where you are going. Potato's are a regional thing so it's never going to be dominated by a large company or one that can corner the market above it's rivals. You may be right of course, but that's my view. Maybe a support industry is where you should be looking, e.g someone who makes harvesting equipment.

Just checked the FTSE and almost every price has come down because of jitters about the spending review. Good time to buy IMO before they all go back up with the positives from George Osbourne tackling the Socialist mess.

The coalition's Comprehensive Spending Review is fully expected to be a bloodbath, but the City will want clear evidence that cuts will be made swiftly to slash the record budget deficit. Any wishy-washy tactics won't be tolerated.

Hamster, i've just spent some time looking at Chinese food manufacturers, and I quite like the look of Asian Citrus Holdings. So much so that i've just purchased £400 worth. The way I see it, China is heading for the rocks with its construction business, which will mean that all those out of work builders can pick my oranges for a pittance. Happy days.

Just take a look at SOLG (were 5p, went to 75p in 3 days) to see the potentail of NYO. I have been buying since 7p and now holding with a medium term target of £0.40.

I expect an update soon - upgrade to 3m oz not to unrealistic imo

I'm not sure we will see such a dramatic rise as SOLG but the potential is definitely there for all to see. I think the next jorc update will take us past 2.5m oz and the price past 23p - I'd be very happy with that before Christmas!

Q1 next year could be huge :-)

Good luck

how did you know it was barclays that would bounce back, im jealous

My partner works for them, they were never going to borrow money from the Gov but got the Arabs to stick the cash in. Also they were not exsposed to the bad debts as much as they others as they off loaded these before the crap hit the fan. The Arabs were canny because they put in billions at 55p and bailed out around £2.50.

Purchased 20k worth of Barclays shares when they hit 50p and sold at 3.50. I did borow the money but always knew that 50p was stupidly low. Capital gains tax was a bummer though

My partner works for them, they were never going to borrow money from the Gov but got the Arabs to stick the cash in. Also they were not exsposed to the bad debts as much as they others as they off loaded these before the crap hit the fan. The Arabs were canny because they put in billions at 55p and bailed out around £2.50.

So you were insider dealing then.

That is 7 years bird and 5 times your illegal gains.

You post this on a message board? I would not do that.

Best of luck.