Shares

dune

I am still confident about GKP, although the share movements have been really painful

I have added shares on the dips and now own 67,918 shares

At the moment, I am sitting on a £70k paper loss, which smarts, but not enough to make me make silly decisions

At present, I don't have any other money to throw at it, so I will only be slowly adding more from each monthly pay packet

Ouch - at 174p today so still sitting on a huge loss. This is why individual investors are better off with funds, not single stocks :(

Anyone buying shares has to be prepared to take a painful hit sometime otherwise people end up chasing loses just like gamblers. I wish I had a pound for every time I heard someone say they’d invested too much to cut and run now. No one makes sensible decisions going forward if they’re hamstrung by past decisions. Sometimes you just have to accept you’ve messed up, man up, get out and move on.

I am still confident about GKP, although the share movements have been really painful

I have added shares on the dips and now own 67,918 shares

At the moment, I am sitting on a £70k paper loss, which smarts, but not enough to make me make silly decisions

At present, I don't have any other money to throw at it, so I will only be slowly adding more from each monthly pay packet

eggsinonebasket.jpg

• 3 months later...
Join this. I have and it's dead easy. Cost you £7.50 or 1% (whichever is greatest) per transaction of shares and you get taxed and **** a few more pence. What this fee essentially means is that you're prudent to purchase in £750+ batches to spread the brokers fee better and you can even pay in (wit ur debit card) a bit here and there to ur share account cash bank and build it up there. There is a another fee of sumthing like £2 a quarter - so peanuts. Join up fella and ping me some PM's when you have cos i'm still learnng too. Also there is a forum, but for some reason i can't log on

https://www.share.com/a/index.html

I've recently moved to iWeb - £5.00 a trade and access to foreign exchanges. No other admin. fees so easily the best value around. The research is quite good as well; it links to Digitallook.com.

I'm impressed by the general high level of risk advocated by most recommendations. Investing in Zimbabwe? A great way to lose money, methinks. However if you want an African flutter you could try Fastjet or Botswana Diamonds or even good old Lonrho. They should all lose money pretty quickly! Possibly a more sensible suggestion for those of a sporting nature might be Iomart. I'm up about 80% on this but I think it's got further to go.

• 1 month later...

Was getting nothing from cash in bank and have hit ISA limits etc so have jumped in with high yielding stocks.

Vodafone

BP

Admiral

ICAP

Stobart

Royal Sun Alliance

Aviva

Tesco

BAE Systems

Scottish and Southern Energy

Plan to hold long term or sell if I get over 20% capital gain to move into better yielding equities.

• 5 months later...

Back in March I bought a basket of bonds which will secure my capital and give a 5.7% return over their term.

Well the bonds have begun to pay and I have not needed the cash as I have done a little maintance work so I reinvested the earnings in shares which have good 5 year growth in value, supported by turnover growth.

1 HL. Hargreves and lansdown FTSE 100 self invested pensions and investments. I use them my self and they are discounting the cost of buying trusts, shares bonds etc. they aim to answer the phone in under 10 seconds. The people answering the phone are educated, helpfully and respectful of a duffer learning how to do buy complex bonds etc. excellent iPhone/iPad tools with a dedicated iPad app due soon. Steady strong growth in customer base and share price. 10% of my portfolio

2. HWDN Howden Joinery. They bought many of the assets of MFI and supply kitchens to the building trade. They have renegotiated the rents and disposed of many of the unneeded MFI properties. They have a long term growth strategy and the share price and turnovers show substantial steady growth. It is a good time to look at firms who supply the house building trade. 5% of my portfolio

3 Travis Perkins. I haven't bought these yet, however they are looking strong (max 5% of portfolio, same sector as HWDN)

4. APC slow growth over the last year 1-4 but the last 12 months 400%. Tiny company supplying LED lighting. A bit of a punt 1% (max3% of portfolio)

Join this. I have and it's dead easy. Cost you £7.50 or 1% (whichever is greatest) per transaction of shares and you get taxed and **** a few more pence. What this fee essentially means is that you're prudent to purchase in £750+ batches to spread the brokers fee better and you can even pay in (wit ur debit card) a bit here and there to ur share account cash bank and build it up there. There is a another fee of sumthing like £2 a quarter - so peanuts. Join up fella and ping me some PM's when you have cos i'm still learnng too. Also there is a forum, but for some reason i can't log on

https://www.share.com/a/index.html

Use iWeb - £5 poet trade and no other fees. After much research I reckon it's the lowest cost way to trade.

http://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/share-dealing-home.asp

If you are day trading in small-ish amounts every quid saved is important. Because I am investing for the long term and I like the Hargreves & lansdown tools, investing ideas, comment. Their charges are cheap but not £5.00. Usually £12.50 on large trades. And I want a paper record. ( Incase I peg it)

I feel I get good value. Great support. Dealing charges on the corporate bonds are £50 because you have to use a stockbroker (?)

• 2 weeks later...

I am still going strong

I have added to various shares and tidied the portfolio up between the ISAs, SIPPs and the dealing account

However, my big play remains Gulf Keystone, and now I have 150,000 shares (reducing my average to 214p in the process)

At the moment, I am on a £70k paper loss, but it was as high as £120k, and yet at the beginning of September I was in profit

I am still looking at a 3 to 5 year time horizon so am fairly relaxed, although I do not think I will be buying any more

My big wins at present include Vodafone, Persimmon and GKN

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting, sports direct 90% in one year, 1553% in 5 years... Consistent price growth, however one of the directors has cashed in a large sum. Absolutely fits the profile of the shares I want. Slight concern that the share has grown to fast and could be over inflated? More research needed... But on my one dealing with them, good shop, well stocked, good staff.

I rarely invest in individual shares these days preferring to invest through funds. You decide on the area in which you want to invest and then choose the top performing funds in that area.

It gives you a much wider choice of where to invest. This year for example I was able to capitalise on the rise in the Nikkei by going in heavily into Japanese funds. This would have been well nigh impossible for me by buying shares.There are so many different sectors available you can invest in virtually every world market / type of share.

What I particularly like is the fact that you just choose the areas in which to invest and then the fund managers have the more dificut task of deciding which shares to buy. If a fund doen't perform you switch into one that is performing. It is easy to see which funds are or are not doing well if you log into one of the investment houses websites.It is the nearest that most investors will get to having "perfect knowledge."

I think that Hargreaves Lansdown is the best website / stockbroker although people like iii and elson associates are also in the market. I buy and sell through HL and find their fund performance tools easy to use.

Atm I am mostly in UK companies of all sizes,Europe and the Far East.Japan is still doing well. India is a difficult market to catch right as it stagnates for a long while but then will suddenly jump. Biotech is an area of fun if you want to experience highs and lows in rapid succession.

Edited by Tamesaint

Interesting, sports direct 90% in one year, 1553% in 5 years... Consistent price growth, however one of the directors has cashed in a large sum. Absolutely fits the profile of the shares I want. Slight concern that the share has grown to fast and could be over inflated? More research needed... But on my one dealing with them, good shop, well stocked, good staff.

I think they cleaned up because they took on JD Sports and won. Whether that makes them a Buffet type stock is another matter.

• 2 months later...

got involverd with some of the house builders few years ago and have held through the Gov support schemes

Taylow Wimpey - bought at 50p now £1.27

Persimmon got in at £6.12 shares are now £14+ each

Barratt got at £1.40 and they are now worth £4.23 each

Sat with a paper profit of nearly £18k on these 3 alone.

Took a £5k loss on some small mining stocks last year so this has made up for it :)

i got a tip a couple of years back on a pharmaceuticals company - mate of mine's uncle was involved in some takeover type situation, i spose it was insider trading or whatever. I never lumped on cos i'm not the sort of bear to have lots of £££ lying around doing nothing but my mate did and his stocks blew up like 50 times what they cost.

I'm not bitter tho. C*nt.

Just to add that this mining company really interests me:

African Consolidated Resources Plc.

They have recently had their mining rights taken from them by Mugabe and his Marxist cohorts (the Chinese), but I sense that Mugabe's power is waning and let's face it he'll soon be dead. This company interests me because the Marange diamond fields are rumoured to have vast quantities of undiscovered diamonds that may well surpass what we have seen come out of SA, hence the Chinese interest and the "secret" cargo planes that are in and out with guns for Mugabes henchmen and an "undisclosed" cargo out.

This is the latest statement from African consolidate Resources PLC:

Marange Update

African Consolidated Resources plc ("the Company"), the Zimbabwe-focused mineral exploration and development company, announces that the Zimbabwe High Court has decided to rescind its Judgement of September 2009 in favour of the Company which confirmed the validity of the Company's mining claims within the Marange diamond field. The Company will immediately appeal to the Supreme Court against the rescission. It is understood that the appeal will have the effect of suspending the rescission. The Company will issue a more detailed statement upon receipt and analysis of the written judgement

This company is valued at about 10p a share, but IMHO has the potential to rocket if they regain their mining rights and a stable country materialises.

That is where my next investment will be for sure. He who dares.

Just beginning this thread but this made me chuckle, hopefully your share investments didn't go the same way as your forecast on Mugabe :-)

See my post on 10th Jan - GKP were 260p then.

So all your profit in the last month then - hang on to them.

Bet you wish you bought them at 10p though.

I repeat Range Resources (RRL currently 11p ish) and Red Emperor Resources (RMP currently 23p ish) are good punts.

DYOR

Woah great pick on Range !!!!

Had an absolute shocker with some Aim shares earlier in the year. Put me off the aim market for a while. Made a bit back on Lloyd's and Perform Group but hardly enough. Take a look a Speedy Hire, with the economic "recovery" it should do quite well.

There is a book called 'Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets' by John Murphy; this is regarded as a bible by most fund managers I know.

http://www.bigcharts.com is a great free charting website. Find your stock, then click advanced chart. For upper indicators I use bollinger bands and 2-line moving averages, 50 days. Lower indicators I use MACD, Volume+ and RSI, oh and make the chart big. Look at your stock/bond/commodity over several time periods, eg a year/3 years/ 5 years/ a decade.

Also read this; http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school

thanks for all that as I am about to begin some further reading before i begin investing with some decent wedge for a bit of play aside from other managed funds.

• 2 weeks later...
Had an absolute shocker with some Aim shares earlier in the year. Put me off the aim market for a while. Made a bit back on Lloyd's and Perform Group but hardly enough. Take a look a Speedy Hire, with the economic "recovery" it should do quite well.

Up from 71p to 84p last week. Currently trading at 81.25p. Got a target price of 88p.

Took a bath on GKP last week, not sitting on a £180k paper loss

But, does not mean anything unless I sell, and I won't be doing that as I believe it will come good in the end

With a main listing on the horizon I can see GKP recovering well over the next few months. Markets overreacted on the Competent Person's Report IMO

I told you HL. Shares were good. Up 14.5% today on budget news ;-). ... £3710 gain .

I'm selling £17k so I can take the Capital gain and buy them back in our ISAs next month.

Broadly self invested pensions firms up, annuity sellers down ....

Edited by tony13579

Originally Posted by dune

Just to add that this mining company really interests me:

African Consolidated Resources Plc.

They have recently had their mining rights taken from them by Mugabe and his Marxist cohorts (the Chinese), but I sense that Mugabe's power is waning and let's face it he'll soon be dead. This company interests me because the Marange diamond fields are rumoured to have vast quantities of undiscovered diamonds that may well surpass what we have seen come out of SA, hence the Chinese interest and the "secret" cargo planes that are in and out with guns for Mugabes henchmen and an "undisclosed" cargo out.

This is the latest statement from African consolidate Resources PLC:

Marange Update

African Consolidated Resources plc ("the Company"), the Zimbabwe-focused mineral exploration and development company, announces that the Zimbabwe High Court has decided to rescind its Judgement of September 2009 in favour of the Company which confirmed the validity of the Company's mining claims within the Marange diamond field. The Company will immediately appeal to the Supreme Court against the rescission. It is understood that the appeal will have the effect of suspending the rescission. The Company will issue a more detailed statement upon receipt and analysis of the written judgement

This company is valued at about 10p a share, but IMHO has the potential to rocket if they regain their mining rights and a stable country materialises.

That is where my next investment will be for sure. He who dares.

Just beginning this thread but this made me chuckle, hopefully your share investments didn't go the same way as your forecast on Mugabe :-)

Blimey. I can only assume that Dune had put options on ACRP and Range Resources as they are both at 1p now!

Will update this thread probably next week as I am about to begin investing on the JSE, I've done analysis on dual listed companies that list on the JSE and FTSE/AIM as its easier to use ADFVN for research if they are listed in the UK but think looking at the outlook or potential for growth I am gonna have to go for African only ones.

Plenty of interesting African companies though and whilst I won't be putting my fortune (yet) into these investments I am gonna drop in 10k and practise for 6 months but will continue research on the companies I currently like over the weekend and eliminate it down to my final few. When I say practise i don't mean buying the shares, I mean where I get my research from, how I distill reports, what companies naturally interest me, what mistakes have i made etc etc so that I am a "veteran" for when I want to ramp up the dinero.

No.1 Priority for me will be though to insert stop losses at 7% deficit of the buy price which I will update every evening if the share price rises, I expect to take quite a few losses but for every 3 7% losses I hope for a 20% + winner, think the 7% gives me natural leeway as well on the share price, am not gonna bother becoming a chartist as its too hard and not something i believe in really.

I won't be investing in any mining here though (my old job) as the entire industry piggy backs on any disturbance or strike to have copy cat strikes nationwide and miners are the worst and with the Marikana commission due sometime soon I expect it to all kick off again.

Edited by Convict Colony

Thought I'd update this as dived in on monday and is so far going well.

Went for 3 companies on the JSE,

Coronation - Do Unit Funds etc and a well regarded company here, have used them myself and their result speak for themselves.

Sanlam - Do insurance predominantly and expanding into Africa as a whole, got good buzz here so plumb for that.

Woolworths - More of a gut feel this one as their stores are always busy and I like the food (think M&S type food).

Current Returns as of COB today 3 days in !!!

Coronation - 1,64%

Sanlam - 4,03%

Woolworths - 0.50 %

Total ROI (not including fee's) = 6,17% which I am obviously stoked with but am awaiting the downs before the next ups.