Privatising the BBC

dune

Isn't BBC 2 where great comedy is first launched? I think Faulty Towers, Red Dwarf, Fast Show, The Royle Family, Blackadder, The Office and League of Gentlemen all debuted on that channel.

They've obviously got a huge blind spot with Mrs Browns Boys, but Phoenix Nights, Spaced, Father Ted and the Inbetweeners apart, is any decent comedy actually made by anyone other than BBC?

The point is that all these comedies are decades old. I loved the BBC but its a shadow of its former self. When you get bbc execs openly boasting that they wouldn't greenlight the likes of monty python today you know it's past its sell by date.

Good Omens started on Amazon btw

Good Omens is a BBC/Amazon co-production, it didn't "start on Amazon btw".

With a cast list and production credits of a whole heap of what you'd call BBC people.

Edited by CB Fry

Yeah, because there was soooo much choice.

They should never have abolished pay phones. I bet most of us grew up using them when we were out and needed to ring home....

There may not have been such a choice, but the BBC was still quality. I don’t know what on Earth you are talking about with pay phones? What have they got to do with children’s TV unless you can make one out of sticky backed plastic?

Yeah, because there was soooo much choice.

They should never have abolished pay phones. I bet most of us grew up using them when we were out and needed to ring home....

There may not have been such a choice, but the BBC was still quality. I don’t know what on Earth you are talking about with pay phones? What have they got to do with children’s TV unless you can make one out of sticky backed plastic?

The key word being was. It WAS quality that's the problem. I quite agree with you by the way, it is good to have the BBC as a choice just as long as I can choose not to pay a fee for it if I don't want it.
Edited by hypochondriac

You can go on slagging off the BBC all day long hypo, but you can’t pretend that alternative broadcasters don’t produce poor programming too. And just because you don’t think something is worth watching or listening to, it doesn’t mean that others share the same opinion.

You can go on slagging off the BBC all day long hypo, but you can’t pretend that alternative broadcasters don’t produce poor programming too. And just because you don’t think something is worth watching or listening to, it doesn’t mean that others share the same opinion.

Where have I ever said that alternative broadcasters haven't produced poor programming? I have never said that. The difference is I'm not forced to pay a license fee to other broadcasters. I'm sure that certain factions think it's worthwhile to produce a show about exploring whiteness but I vehemently disagree and I resent the fact that I have even a small part to play in funding things like that. The sooner stuff like this is stopped the better.

Where have I ever said that alternative broadcasters haven't produced poor programming? I have never said that. The difference is I'm not forced to pay a license fee to other broadcasters. I'm sure that certain factions think it's worthwhile to produce a show about exploring whiteness but I vehemently disagree and I resent the fact that I have even a small part to play in funding things like that. The sooner stuff like this is stopped the better.

You haven't quite grasped how society works have you? Some people like and use stuff you don't. Imagine that. You only want to fund the parts you use? Maybe we should close down defence, policing, education etc in Warrington and everywhere else you never go to?

You haven't quite grasped how society works have you? Some people like and use stuff you don't. Imagine that. You only want to fund the parts you use? Maybe we should close down defence, policing, education etc in Warrington and everywhere else you never go to?
That isn't what I said at all you've misunderstood. I mostly want the BBC to produce shows of value that would be difficult to produce elsewhere due to commercial pressure. Something like strictly come dancing is very entertaining to some people but it's incredibly similar to existing shows on commercial channels and there's no reason to spend license fee money on it when it can easily be produced elsewhere. The BBC should not be sticking reality TV on to compete with the likes of pop idol on itv or whatever they are showing. Similarly with the football. I happen to enjoy Match of the day but I fail to see how they can justify its existence on the BBC considering the cost.

Comedy used to be a jewel in the Crown of the BBC on television but as I said, most classic BBC comedies are now decades old and that's just one example. There's loads of things on the BBC I wouldn't be interested in but I can absolutely see their value on a national broadcaster. There's also loads of stuff that shouldn't be on there. That all changes however if they move to a subscription model then they can do whatever they want really.

Are you seriously trying to compare a TV company to defence,policing & education? Dear god....

It’s funny how the “enlightened modern” left are so wedded to 1950’s concepts and abhor change. The BBC, NHS & EU. They really are conservative to their finger tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you would welcome skint pensioners etc to have no way of seeing any football? MOTD is a jewel and beats any of the stuff Sky and BT produce albeit varying depending on pundits.

What gave you that idea? There's no reason that the match of the day format could not be replicated on terrestrial telly elsewhere.

Are you seriously trying to compare a TV company to defence,policing & education? Dear god....

It’s funny how the “enlightened modern” left are so wedded to 1950’s concepts and abhor change. The BBC, NHS & EU. They really are conservative to their finger tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are plenty of republicans in this country who help fund the monarchy. That is the way society works. We all contribute to things we may or may not like, may or may not use. I don’t know why you have to use this to bash the left again. Perhaps deep down you are really ashamed for hoisting Johnson on us and are acting out? Who knows?

Anyway, I doubt if any BBC supporters would have a problem with changes. The best one I have heard is scrapping the licence fee and funding the BBC through our taxes.

I didn’t say that you had said it, but the way you slag off the BBC you would think that it was complete rubbish compared to everything else out there. I have lost count of how many channels are on my TV, but I don’t watch 95% of them because I have no interest in them. I still have to pay for them though.

You can be selective as you like, but when you ignore the great many wonderful broadcasts on BBC you weaken your argument.

I didn’t say that you had said it, but the way you slag off the BBC you would think that it was complete rubbish compared to everything else out there. I have lost count of how many channels are on my TV, but I don’t watch 95% of them because I have no interest in them. I still have to pay for them though.

You can be selective as you like, but when you ignore the great many wonderful broadcasts on BBC you weaken your argument.

No idea what you're talking about here. You don't HAVE to pay for the other channels that's the entire point. I wasn't selective at all, I have a lot of praise for what the BBC used to be but the BBC of the last decade is jot something I have an interest in paying for.

On 'Freeview'? :mcinnes:

Got to love the Beeb giving such prominence for the recent mosque stabbing. It sounds like mentally ill muslim who did it and the victim recovering

Hardly a headline in local news but page 1 on BBC site a day or two after it happened.

I have Sky

You don't HAVE to, you choose to.

That is not the case with the TV licence - which is what people are objecting to!

There are plenty of republicans in this country who help fund the monarchy. That is the way society works. We all contribute to things we may or may not like, may or may not use. I don’t know why you have to use this to bash the left again. Perhaps deep down you are really ashamed for hoisting Johnson on us and are acting out? Who knows?

Anyway, I doubt if any BBC supporters would have a problem with changes. The best one I have heard is scrapping the licence fee and funding the BBC through our taxes.

Lol, they’re now equating a poll tax for a TV company with funding the Head of State.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

That is not the case with the TV licence - which is what people are objecting to!

You have no choice but to pay for ITV and Channel 5, the advertising costs are past on to the consumer. So even if you don't watch a second of it you are paying for it every time you go to Tesco's, everytime you drink a Carling Black Label or eat a flake or all the other stuff.

But it's not the money you object to really, it's the Beebs perceived outlook and political stance you hate. Because you 'free thinkers' are told by right wing outlets that the Beeb is a rabid left wing organ, but no one comes up with any real evidence of this.

You right wing boys are so burdened by all this anger and petty grievances. Lighten the load and chill out. The Beeb is brilliant and the country would be a poorer place without it.

You have no choice but to pay for ITV and Channel 5, the advertising costs are past on to the consumer. So even if you don't watch a second of it you are paying for it every time you go to Tesco's, everytime you drink a Carling Black Label or eat a flake or all the other stuff.

But it's not the money you object to really, it's the Beebs perceived outlook and political stance you hate. Because you 'free thinkers' are told by right wing outlets that the Beeb is a rabid left wing organ, but no one comes up with any real evidence of this.

You right wing boys are so burdened by all this anger and petty grievances. Lighten the load and chill out. The Beeb is brilliant and the country would be a poorer place without it.

This. The BBC is excellent value for money. It’s not just about the TV shows but the website is probably the best thing on the net (because it’s not constantly trying to flog you ****) and the radio is also good.

It’s impossible for any news service to be completely independent but the BBC is the closest you will get and it’s vital that it stays that way. Having said that the TV license is dated, paying for it through some other form of tax would make more sense.

They would have been heartened to see the lady in the dodgy blonde wig on question time going all Farage on Question Time on Thursday night then and getting away pretty much unchallenged. I am sure they would think that is worth the licence fee alone for this year.

So are you saying that everyone who objects to the licence fee and anyone in their household never watches a BBC programme, never listens to the BBC on the radio or never looks at the BBC news online?

They would have been heartened to see the lady in the dodgy blonde wig on question time going all Farage on Question Time on Thursday night then and getting away pretty much unchallenged. I am sure they would think that is worth the licence fee alone for this year.
Don't worry. You had the literal communist Ash Sarkar on to provide the right-on counter narrative.

So are you saying that everyone who objects to the licence fee and anyone in their household never watches a BBC programme, never listens to the BBC on the radio or never looks at the BBC news online?
The point is that currently there is no option whether to pay for it or not. Its not about whether individuals who are currently forced to pay the license fee subsequently use the things they are paying for. I'd rather have the option not to pay for it and then I'll use websites other than bbc for my news and sport if necessary although it's possible I'd pay for the online sports coverage if that were an option.

Lol, they’re now equating a poll tax for a TV company with funding the Head of State.

I think you will find that the BBC is a bit more than just a TV company but the principle still holds. We all pay for things we don’t use or don’t want either directly or indirectly but I don’t see you frothing our the mouth over any other “waste of money.” You will be telling us next that you never watch Match of the Day.

I think you will find that the BBC is a bit more than just a TV company but the principle still holds. We all pay for things we don’t use or don’t want either directly or indirectly but I don’t see you frothing our the mouth over any other “waste of money.” You will be telling us next that you never watch Match of the Day.

What principle does it hold?

Simple fact, more people are not paying for a license fee and as soon as it is decriminalised, even more will. If it does not drastically change, it will be gone

Will you be happy to pay extra for it, to plug the gap?

Why do you think that's some sort of gotcha? Everyone uses the BBC at the moment because everyone has to pay for it and there is no alternative to somethibg like match of the day. That wouldn't be the case if it was on commercial television.

You're missing the fundamental point. I am prevented from watching any number of freeview channels that I may want to watch if I have not paid a fee to support an unrelated enterprise that I may not support or want anything to do with.

Simple fact, more people are not paying for a license fee and as soon as it is decriminalised, even more will. If it does not drastically change, it will be gone

Yes, but I would prefer that a new way of funding was found.

Never watch Match of the Day?

The principle of funding certain public services whether you want them or not. Keep up.

Yes, but I would prefer that a new way of funding was found.

Never watch Match of the Day?

New way of funding? Those who want to pay, can. Those who don’t, won’t.

Pretty simple I would have thought!

As for match of the day? Not really.

Even if I did, happy to not have it if it meant a choice as highlights of the premier league are available on a plethora of platforms online!

New way of funding? Those who want to pay, can. Those who don’t, won’t.

Ok so what are you saying? You have never ever used the BBC in any shape or form therefore you don’t see why you should pay a penny towards it despite the fact that many people treasure it?

Fine but as I said before, let’s use the same principle with other public funded institutions and services like libraries and the

monarchy.

Ok so what are you saying? You have never ever used the BBC in any shape or form therefore you don’t see why you should pay a penny towards it despite the fact that many people treasure it?

Fine but as I said before, let’s use the same principle with other public funded institutions and services like libraries and the

monarchy.

I have used it and I contribute towards it. I think there should be a choice for everyone, which is the point.

If the BBC is as great as you suggest, the talk of its demise under a subscription based set up would be rather premature. It would thrive, surely?

I use Netflix but should I no longer wish, I just cancel my subscription.