Privatising the BBC

dune

Hopefully, we are witnessing the start of the end of the TV License.

Absolutely no place in today's era.

I am sure the BBC will survive, given how amazing it is (apparently)...

Absolutely no place? Read a Daily Mail opinion piece over the weekend by any chance?

Something else for you to get angry about

Perhaps we should have a referendum about it?

I've suggested this myself. The sort of issue perfect for a referendum I'd have thought.

The Beeb's a strange old thing. I think it's lost its way lately. It seems to want to appear as very right-on, lefty bandwagon jumping.....and is.....until an election looms when it becomes a Conservative puppet.

Tough call but I think I'll keep the money.

Iam happy with the BBC but it is a bloated organisation. Paying DJ's hundreds of thousands a year when they dont need to do so. Crikey there is hardly a lot of competition to have to pay such rates. Too much talking and not enough tunes IMO. Add to that newsreaders and their high pay,I agree agree with gender equality in pay, bring the mens down to the womans level.

Iam happy with the BBC but it is a bloated organisation. Paying DJ's hundreds of thousands a year when they dont need to do so. Crikey there is hardly a lot of competition to have to pay such rates. Too much talking and not enough tunes IMO. Add to that newsreaders and their high pay,I agree agree with gender equality in pay, bring the mens down to the womans level.

Cant speak for DJs specifically but for many high profile on- and off-air roles, salaries in the public sector broadcasting (PSB) arm of the BBC are significantly discounted against the commercial sector.

Cant speak for DJs specifically but for many high profile on- and off-air roles, salaries in the public sector broadcasting (PSB) arm of the BBC are significantly discounted against the commercial sector.
I used dj's as an example. They command large salaries in an industry where there is a large amount of talent and only a few top jobs. Hence it shouldn't need the BBC to pay highly inflated wages. There is plenty of money floating about and whilst I agree with the BBC being the voice of the world, it is bloated and needs some of the excesses cut IMo

BBC deserves to be disbanded for commissioning ‘Eating with My Ex’ such sh1te does not belong on BBC.

Thick cnts who are barely literate talking about their exes. Shameful tv

Then don’t watch it Whelk. Saw the last episode of Good Omens on BBC2 tonight which was excellent.

Not the point. I an not expecting every programme to cater to my tastes but this seemed to be in the gutter and such low brow boll0cks. Why are they even trying to be in this ‘field’?

I didn’t continue to watch but was on after news and so in background.

I am not anti BBC but no money should be spent on such stuff and debunks all arguments that in a field that needs protecting ie neutral in-depth news reporting, showing the arts etc

Two gay blokes calling each other wnkers and great sh@gs whilst having dinner.

Good Omens started on Amazon btw

Edited by whelk

Dumbing down has been going on in the media for some time, not just at the BBC. I don’t understand why they broadcast things like Mrs Brown’s Boys, but you can’t blame them wanting to be all things for all people as they have to cater for the masses and not the elite. Yes there are things I wouldn’t watch on the BBC but there are also plenty of things I do watch. The Christine Keeler Trial was excellent recently. I still think they do news and current affairs well and their wildlife programmes are second to none. Each to their own, but I for one are pleased that there is still one broadcaster that isn’t polluted by adverts and is free of people like Murdoch.

Not the point. I an not expecting every programme to cater to my tastes but this seemed to be in the gutter and such low brow boll0cks. Why are they even trying to be in this ‘field’?

I didn’t continue to watch but was on after news and so in background.

I am not anti BBC but no money should be spent on such stuff and debunks all arguments that in a field that needs protecting ie neutral in-depth news reporting, showing the arts etc

Two gay blokes calling each other wnkers and great sh@gs whilst having dinner.

Good Omens started on Amazon btw

Yep. If the BBC continues then it should be strictly for programmes that wouldn't/couldn't be produced elsewhere. Excellent documentaries, high brow cultural programmes, impartial educational content. Absolutely no need for the majority of horrendous comedies of the last few years, strictly come dancing can be binned off, all pop based radio shows can die and any panel shows as well. I'm much more sympathetic to shows of actual importance like Attenborough stuff, the Brian Cox documentaries, panorama provided it's monitored. Stick on repeats for daytime telly if you must have things like bargain hunt but a whole host of that content should not be funded by the license fee. That's before we've even spoken about the waste online and abroad. Is bbc pidgin still operating ffs?

The BBC is a great British institution and I expect that most people in the UK have grown up enjoying its products. It would be a shame to see it dismantled.
The BBC used to be a great British institution before it became the right on, woke, propaganda mess of the last decade. Seeing it drastically slimmed down- my preference- would be long overdue.

Or the foreign service or anything else that is of no interest to you.
Well you're wrong there. There's certainly an argument to continue something outward Facing and unique that exports British culture abroad. There's a much stronger argument to continue the world service for example than most of the stuff on bbc 2 which is largely identical to the sort of thing you can find on itv.

than most of the stuff on bbc 2 which is largely identical to the sort of thing you can find on itv.

Isn't BBC 2 where great comedy is first launched? I think Faulty Towers, Red Dwarf, Fast Show, The Royle Family, Blackadder, The Office and League of Gentlemen all debuted on that channel.

They've obviously got a huge blind spot with Mrs Browns Boys, but Phoenix Nights, Spaced, Father Ted and the Inbetweeners apart, is any decent comedy actually made by anyone other than BBC?

Isn't BBC 2 where great comedy is first launched? I think Faulty Towers, Red Dwarf, Fast Show, The Royle Family, Blackadder, The Office and League of Gentlemen all debuted on that channel.

They've obviously got a huge blind spot with Mrs Browns Boys, but Phoenix Nights, Spaced, Father Ted and the Inbetweeners apart, is any decent comedy actually made by anyone other than BBC?

What's the common factor about every comedy you just listed in your first list.

Well you're wrong there. There's certainly an argument to continue something outward Facing and unique that exports British culture abroad. There's a much stronger argument to continue the world service for example than most of the stuff on bbc 2 which is largely identical to the sort of thing you can find on itv.

So why are you criticising BBC News Pidgin?

It’s part of the World Service, part of the UK’s soft power and cultural diplomacy. All the noises from No.10 are that more money and effort should be going into initiatives like this, especially as the UK is pushing for deeper ties with Africa post-Brexit. The BBC has 40 language services, unmatched among news organisations around the world, providing independent news and analysis in many countries with weak governance - I think that’s a reason to celebrate the BBC, not denigrate it. It’s something that would never survive on a purely commercial basis - hence why we have a licence fee to protective distinctive programming while acknowledging that the BBC would get slaughtered by the government and media if it simply prioritised distinctiveness over audience numbers and reach.

Edited by shurlock

I bet most of us grew up watching kids programmes on BBC. My kids did too.