Burley sacked

bridge too far

At least he got us into the play offs which was the most we had to cheer about before Pardew won us a cup. He is not a woeful manager and did a great job at Ipswich and Hearts. The Palace job is a poisoned chalice. He has achieved a lot more than the middle strand of managers in this country. What is it with people wanting ex employees to fail? It is not as if he did a Redknapp and took us down. Good luck to him in the future where ever he ends up.

At least he got us into the play offs which was the most we had to cheer about before Pardew won us a cup. He is not a woeful manager and did a great job at Ipswich and Hearts. The Palace job is a poisoned chalice. He has achieved a lot more than the middle strand of managers in this country. What is it with people wanting ex employees to fail? It is not as if he did a Redknapp and took us down. Good luck to him in the future where ever he ends up.

This - he was also a victim of our circumstances but got out of jail with the Jimmies job.

Redcrap's grave I promise I'll dance on

He did do a good job at Ipswich and Hearts.

Since 2005 however, he has either achieved the bare minimum or failed at any job he has had.

He could have done so much better here (and didn't through his own failings) which is what I think a lot of people on here find so frustrating about him. To be fair, following Walter Smith's/McLeish job at Scotland and the Palace jobs were tough jobs.

Edited by JackFrost

Absolutely spot on.

Did a good job at Derby, too.

Very well said SOG. Wonder how long it will be before the idiots bring up the unfounded alcohism rumours again

Not surprised he's gone did an Ok job for us had a lot of money to spend & just about achieved the bare minimum getting us to the play-offs. Got out just at the right time, but maybe he shouldn't have gone to Scotland where he was woeful. As for the rest he's been blown a bit hot & cold. Over achieved in his first couple of years at Ipswich & following relegation & struggling the next year he was sacked. Seems a bit familiar starts ok but then can't carry a job through. Would be surprised to see him get another decent job.

When Burley joined us his stock was very high after an excellent job at Herts. A lot of Saints fans were chuffed to have got him. He had to strip out a lot of dead wood but put together a decent squad quite quickly and hada team that could score goals and win games which is something we hadn't seen for a while. We were as good as anyone in the CCC in his only full season with us. Sadly Wilde had blown the cash in one go and instead of building on a good season Burley soon lost his 3 best players (all of whom are currently scoring goals in the Premiership) and the an Exec even came out and admitted publically that our promotion push was over. Can't blaming for taking the Scotland job but let's be honest, people like Ferguson would not touch it with a bargepole and there are good reasons for that. The Palace job was never going to be easy either with no cash to spend. He has been unfortunate recently, losing points in the last seconds. That sadly is football. He is experienced and he will bounce back. Sh*te managers do not get their clubs into Europe or into play offs.

When Burley joined us his stock was very high after an excellent job at Herts. A lot of Saints fans were chuffed to have got him. He had to strip out a lot of dead wood but put together a decent squad quite quickly and hada team that could score goals and win games which is something we hadn't seen for a while. We were as good as anyone in the CCC in his only full season with us. Sadly Wilde had blown the cash in one go and instead of building on a good season Burley soon lost his 3 best players (all of whom are currently scoring goals in the Premiership) and the an Exec even came out and admitted publically that our promotion push was over. Can't blaming for taking the Scotland job but let's be honest, people like Ferguson would not touch it with a bargepole and there are good reasons for that. The Palace job was never going to be easy either with no cash to spend. He has been unfortunate recently, losing points in the last seconds. That sadly is football. He is experienced and he will bounce back. Sh*te managers do not get their clubs into Europe or into play offs.

We clearly weren't "as good as anyone" as we scraped and stumbled and flopped into sixth place with the most expensively assembled squad in the division, and then blew it at semi final stage anyway.

Wilde didn't blow all the money, Burley had a top two budget and decided to talk the whole club down "maybe the playoffs would be a good achievement" guff. Watch Adkins and how he talks like a winner. A top two budget was Burley's gift and he blew it spectacularly. Burley blew all the money and then screwed us by not even trying to get automatic promotion.

And spare us the "no time to build a squad" routine - Burley had the luxury of an entire half season to get settled in, make plans and get ready for that key full season. All the time needed, all the money any club would need to go up, a gigantic feelgood factor post-Lowe - Burley had the dream hand. An absolute gift of circumstances in his favour. And he blew it. He blew it out of his backside.

Of course all the money was gone in the second season - we'd spent a jacuzzi full of cash on players to get promoted the season before. We'd speculated to accumulate but Georgie boy couldn't deliver and screwed us long term. Good riddance to a disgrace to the managers parking space. And his performance at Palace yet again proves how appalling he is.

Gutless waste of space.

Edited by CB Fry

When Burley joined us his stock was very high after an excellent job at Hearts. A lot of Saints fans were chuffed to have got him. He had to strip out a lot of dead wood but put together a decent squad quite quickly and hada team that could score goals and win games which is something we hadn't seen for a while. He then buggered that up by signing even more deadwood than he got rid of, and played anyone else out of position thereby taking a squad which should have been in with a chance of the automatic promotion spots and just scraping into the playoffs. At that point, Billy effing Davies ensured Derby kicked what was left of the team off the park. The following season saw a truer reflection of George's capabilities as a manager

There, I've made some alterations as I saw his reign as manager at St Marys and I speak as someone who was in favour of him coming at the time. How wrong can you be. :facepalm:

Oh and his previous job before joining us was north of the border, not north of London. ;)

GB & saints found the ultimate get out clause in the scots job

GB- not sacked moved onto a bigger job

SFC- didn't have to pay comp on sacking & actually got paid comp

trouble is it was too little too late. Me?? I'd have sacked Burley in his first few weeks with the club, after that abysmal 2-0 loss at

home to Ipswich.It was clear to me on that day that the bloke didn't have a firkin clue and never would have.

We clearly weren't "as good as anyone" as we scraped and stumbled and flopped into sixth place with the most expensively assembled squad in the division, and then blew it at semi final stage anyway.

Wilde didn't blow all the money, Burley had a top two budget and decided to talk the whole club down "maybe the playoffs would be a good achievement" guff. Watch Adkins and how he talks like a winner. A top two budget was Burley's gift and he blew it spectacularly. Burley blew all the money and then screwed us by not even trying to get automatic promotion.

And spare us the "no time to build a squad" routine - Burley had the luxury of an entire half season to get settled in, make plans and get ready for that key full season. All the time needed, all the money any club would need to go up, a gigantic feelgood factor post-Lowe - Burley had the dream hand. An absolute gift of circumstances in his favour. And he blew it. He blew it out of his backside.

Of course all the money was gone in the second season - we'd spent a jacuzzi full of cash on players to get promoted the season before. We'd speculated to accumulate but Georgie boy couldn't deliver and screwed us long term. Good riddance to a disgrace to the managers parking space. And his performance at Palace yet again proves how appalling he is.

Gutless waste of space.

Absolutely spot on the money! How quickly people forget his weird and woeful substitutions and tactics - 6 players all playing on the wrong side. Nothing wrond with one or two but he had half the team in some games.

Bringing on Saga with 2 mins to go when 2 down at home....Burley wasted millions here...other managers have cleared out squads as well and still done twice as good as he did!

Gutless waste of space.

Top Post.

IMO I'm not sure his heart was ever properly in it when he was here. In fact you could possibly argue that his motivation started to wane once SCW and Lowe went; he did after all agree to be part of that structure which was disbanded in 2006. Only he can say whether that's true or not.

The major issue I have with him is that he inspires zero confidence. I don't necessarily want my manager to be some jumped-up, "passionate" lunatic, but at no stage in his time with us did I feel we were going anywhere. In the end that proved to be the case.

Not sure where he's going to go now, although it would not surprise me to see him back at Ipswich if Keano gets the boot...stranger things have happened!

Wow, what a shocking and surprising piece of news.

Many have pointed out many of his failings but IMHO we never had a real spine in the team and solid central defensive partnership. Wayne Thomas for 10 times more than Burnley expected.

Sorry to Soggy, but the he IS a good manager stuff is rubbish - he WAS a decent manager but then something in his life went wrong, whether it was an internal DNA related switch or some other event I have no idea but as I reported in detail at the time and others alluded to, it was my firm opinion that his clarity of thinking was compromised. IMHO that caused him to become a ghost of his former self and he was living on his previous achievements and we were lucky to be able to get rid of him.

I have nothing against the guy, BUT I was glad we found a favourable way to bring in change.

His time with Scotland did nothing to show he had made a come back to his former abilities and I don't see that he has performed any miracles at Palace. So it will be up to the next desperate Football Club Chairman to find out whether he is capable of making a comeback or is really just the shell of a once could have been great manager.