Scummers Lose At Home, Scummers Lose At Home, Super Saints Have Won Away........

Gemmel

Ha ha Young pups.... Lets wait until a few more oldies join in.

We use to call them scummers as well...... For a very long time, Skates is a realitively new nickname

I remember there was a poll or equivalent back in the early part of the 00's to finally nail their 'name.' Skates was the one that caught on.

Scummers always was too general a term. Just like everything to do with that damned island. Generic, poorly thought out and lacking in flair.

I seem to remember the nickname going both ways up until the Steve Moran cup match. So mid eighties we were still calling them scummers, or moreover Pompey scum...

Evening and Happy New Year Miltonagrro (Enjoyed a few beers in Brock this Christmas)

1993 Tottenham VS Saints, the noise was deafining every time anderton touched the ball ....Scummer scummer (It was real abuse) When they asked if it bothered him in the post match interview he was nearly in tears and said yes because he was a Saints fan. When we played them in the FA cup at Dell in 90's (Cant remember what year, but we won 3 - 0) and they were still scummers then......so it definately went into the 90's

Super Saints Have Won Away,

It wasn't that long ago we would sing that, so just when did they change from Scummers to Skates

Sung many times on Foley's coach in the 80's.

Seems just like yesterday LOL.

Funny thing was that they were never on my radar until that 84 Cup Match. Up until then they were an insignificant bunch plying their trade in the lower divisions. I remember going on holiday down Selsey way in the late 70's (still have the Donkey Derby photos, God I was skinny) and getting some stick and being called a Scummer. I really had no idea what they were on about as Portsmuff really meant nothing to me at all (I think they were down in the 4th division and almost going out of business every month).

They were as insignificant as Bournmuff (although at least they used to get a cheer if they had won and it was announced over the tannoy by Jack Fleet).

I was more interested in getting promoted and playing the best teams in the land.

Even Billy Joel hates them

'you can laugh with your mates

as you call them the skates

but they'll always be scummers to me...'

I'm reliably informed these were the original lyrics, but the record company weren't happy (must have been closet skates/scummers)

We were still calling the blue few scummers in the mid 90's, I remember the echo had a cartoon after the 3rd round FA cup match in 1996. A wife was asking her husband "Who won, the scummers or the scummers?" By the way we won 3-0.

The first "scum" reference to them (I personally favour the "blue-few", it just fits so well!) I remember back in the 70s was, changing 'pom' to 'scum' and naming them 'scum-pey'. But back then they barely impacted on our lives and while they just got more and more bitter at being so insignificant in the region "scummers" just became a regular part of the limited portsea vocabulary.

And then they invented that "dock strike" story. How we all laughed.

You are spot on Gemmell, I now clearly remember the vitriol against Dazza Anderton. Also, being somewhat surprised to see us referred to as 'scummers' - as a youth supporter in the late 1970s the rift between the clubs was widening and we only met the f*ckers for cup games. On another thread hijacked by the seaweed fan BHS (with the charisma and intellect of Jimmy Krankie with ADHD) I mentioned the Brighton cup game of 1986 when Biley was a substitute and refused to come on due to the wall of hatred from the Saints fans on the opposite side to the dugout. When he finally did come on the 'scummer, scummer' chants were defeaning and Rolex perpetual, happy days.

If we ever get to play the blue few again I think we should rally for the return of the chant. Next time you are coming out to the Forest for a beer let me know as Inches is getting right on my tits with his plans for the maze...

to be honest i don't know any saints fans that actually refer to pompey as skates, they all still affectionally call them "scum" or "scummers".

Maybe we could create a new song which uses the word "scummers" or "pompey scummers".

My brother in law is a pompey season ticket holder and he says that being called a skate is no way insulting but would hate it if he were to be called a "scummer"

to be honest i don't know any saints fans that actually refer to pompey as skates

That's weird since i'd say it's the other way round for me (and i'm an old fart) i don't know anyone that refers to them as scummers. Only really hear skates, dirty skate ****s, blue few, fish ****ers etc.

Doesn't surprise me that your skate mate doesn't take offence to it though since i don't know many saints fans that see scummer as an insult, in fact i can remember an Ugly Inside (the fanzine not site) cartoon about being proud to be a scummer many moons ago. I'd say he probably sees scummer as more of an insult as it compares them to us.

As for using scummer more i don't think we should, we're one of the few clubs with a slightly more original insult for our rivals and they're even known as it now by other clubs.

T

As for using scummer more i don't think we should, we're one of the few clubs with a slightly more original insult for our rivals and they're even known as it now by other clubs.

agreed, also the term skate annoys the **** out of my skate mates

to be honest i don't know any saints fans that actually refer to pompey as skates, they all still affectionally call them "scum" or "scummers".

Maybe we could create a new song which uses the word "scummers" or "pompey scummers".

My brother in law is a pompey season ticket holder and he says that being called a skate is no way insulting but would hate it if he were to be called a "scummer"

"Slummer" would probably be more appropriate for residents of portsea island :p

• 7 months later...

as stated earlier, late 60's , most of the 70's and 80's our paths rarely crossed and they were for the most so far off our radar we barely bothered with them, they were just something to laugh at. Meanwhile of course they were seething and developed a festering hatred for us which wasn't really reciprocated in the same manner.

I can't remember when the skate thing started, but i do remember them calling us scummers in the 70's. I actually think of it as a term of endearment and use it as my opening gambit if I spy a fellow saint far away from Hampshire. "Oi Scummer" and then a thumbs up and a flash of an SFC badge brings about a whole whirlwind of emotions in a split second from the fellow saint :D

you Cheating skate Barstards has a nice ring to it, and yes we are most defo coming for you!!

Glad we don't call them Scummers anymore. Such a boring name for your rivals and is used by the majority of supporters in England.

language doesn't work like that mate - let's call them the Pickles and make ourselves look even bigger cnts!

Didn't "skate" start as an insult that Portsmouth civilianS used for Royal Navy sailors, therefore it has a good relevance to Pompey supporters.

Also I like the fact that occasionally you see shops with notices in the window saying "NO SKATES"

The Golden Lion on the Queen Elizabeth was 100% Saints over the last fortnight!!!!!!

On the last night the old guy on the piano was knocking out some "cockerney" songs, but when he got to "When I was just a little boy", it seemed as though half the pub was joining in with the other version!!!!!!!!!

eircofarabia is spot on in his analysis above, in that during the 70's and 80's they were just not on our radar as they languished in the lower leagues, whilst we scrapped it out with the big teams. The jealousy and rivalry was fairly one way (in much the same way as Bournemuff were getting all worked up last season).

according to the exhibition in Fareham museum on the rivalry, pompey fans are known as 'Skaters'....

They also seem to gloss over the whole prossie-bothering and sex-offending management, cancer charity theft, child-maiming funders and tax evasion years as well - or is all that for the next exhibition as much if that era is still ongoing and under investigation?