Car Insurance - young drivers

Weston Super Saint

I wasnt driving with out insurance though detective!My name was on the policy, I was fully covered as a named driver on the policy.

Until the insurance company finds out and voids it leaving you open to prosecution.

This guy found this out the hard way when he decided not to tell his insurers he had modded his car

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-11717295

As for fronting here's a good aticle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7052569.stm

"If an insurance company believes "fronting" has taken place, it can refuse to pay any claim.

The young driver can then be treated as driving without insurance and face a fine with six points penalty points on their licence."

Edited by JackFrost

From what I've heard the Pass Plus does not give a benefit, only the Advance Test will do that.

Need to shop around as Insurance Companies will want to spread their risk as no company will focus on providing good deals for the youngsters (the worst group to insure).

Otherwise, don't get them a car if the cost is too much. I got my first car (ten year old fiesta) at 22 when I finished uni and got a job, I was certainly fitter having to ride my bike most places!

The pass plus gives you 20% discount with a lot of insurance companies - so it's a massive benefit on say £2000! I got this with Direct Line.

I've known a few here where the lowest quote they were given didn't make a difference whether they had the PP or not. Just remember that quotes will vary considerably and it seems searching many companies is a better bet than going for one that would give a discount on a premium.

Too late for you Weston, but for anybody else with a 16 year old you should think about getting them insured third party for the cheapest moped you can find with the biggest excess they will allow, even if you never intend to ride it. You'll find it massively reduces the cost of car insurance when they come to take it out, by two thirds in some cases, if you can say you have had one years claim free motor insurance.

Lol. Funny you should mention it!

Don't suppose anyone wants to buy a 'P' reg VW Polo - years MOT no tax!

The cost of insurance is just an absolute joke, so the car idea is being scrapped.

Instead it looks like he's going to be getting a moped - something we didn't want - but at £700 for a new one and £200 for a years insurance it's the most affordable option, if not the safest.

Apparently the insurance industry is so screwed up they would rather have our teenagers roaming the land on mopeds risking life and limb, rather than driving around in much safer cars!

Since Mrs WSS and I both have cars, there is no [legal] way to get the boy insured unless it's in his own name, the cost of which is horrific.

Lol. Funny you should mention it!

Don't suppose anyone wants to buy a 'P' reg VW Polo - years MOT no tax!

The cost of insurance is just an absolute joke, so the car idea is being scrapped.

Instead it looks like he's going to be getting a moped - something we didn't want - but at £700 for a new one and £200 for a years insurance it's the most affordable option, if not the safest.

Apparently the insurance industry is so screwed up they would rather have our teenagers roaming the land on mopeds risking life and limb, rather than driving around in much safer cars!

Since Mrs WSS and I both have cars, there is no [legal] way to get the boy insured unless it's in his own name, the cost of which is horrific.

I think their less likely to kill other road users/pedestrians as well on mopeds. Also as you can hurt yourself far more easily on a moped, it'll instill a bit of routine caution into a young driver

Insuring young drivers has become a cash printing machine for the companies. Until some sensible legislation is passed like for instance raising the driving age to 21 and limiting the engine size a driver in their first two years can drive then the inusrance companies will continue to exploit it to the max

Something happens to young lads when they get a few mates in their car. They feel that they have to show off. This is a lot more difficult with a moped.

I used to drive a moped yself, a NSU 'Quickly' (don't let the name fool you) back in the sixties and I think my insurance cost £5 a year. Driving across north london to see my missus (not then) in january was the coldest that I have ever been, but at least it gives you mobility.

Something happens to young lads when they get a few mates in their car. They feel that they have to show off.

The biggest contribution comes from poor observational skills where the young drivers are less likely to see danger until it is to late, in many cases compounded by driving too fast for the road conditions (not just weather) and distractions (mates/radio/phone etc). There have been a few studies at the University of Reading about this and one argument is to make sure youngsters have enough hours under their belt before a full licence is given and also do an observational test in a simulator.

Having the same problem myself at the moment. I'm 22 and passed my test about a month ago and have been browsing around a bit for cars and getting insurance quotes here and there. Lowest I've come across tends to be around the £3,000 mark with some as high as £7/8,000 or so which I can't afford to pay, even with help from parents. My dad tried to get me insured on his car as a named driver but his insurance company didn't allow me to be insured on it because I passed my test within the last twelve months. By that logic, I could not drive at all for a year, phone them up and then they'll insure me on it...

The best thing I ever did car wise was start insurance in my own name at 17, I have it down to £350 a year now at 22 after 5 years no claims. It hurts to begin with but worth it in the long run.