2011 Cricket World Cup England selections

Saint in Paradise

Just a couple of questions re England team.

Matt Prior, a good choice over Steven Davies ?

Do you think is was because of "Form" or choosing a good mate over someone not quite as

well known / friends with the selectors ?

Should they wait for Bresnan or get a replacement just in case ?

I know that getting replacements is difficult at this late stage but you can replace injured players.

Prior is a better keeper than Davies at the moment. However, Prior shouldn't be opening the batting, stick Bell in with Strauss.

If I remember rightly, the rule on injured players is you can replace them within your squad before the start of your first game in the competition, so they've still got a few weeks yet. Bresnan's bowling is probably quite well suited to the low skiddy pitches on the subcontinent.

My first-choice XI would be:

Strauss

Bell

Trott

Pietersen

Morgan

Collingwood

Prior

Bresnan

Broad

Swann

Anderson

That said, I can quite easily see a scenario where either Bresnan or Broad is left out to accommodate Shahzad and/or Yardy.

Prior is a better keeper than Davies at the moment. However, Prior shouldn't be opening the batting, stick Bell in with Strauss.

If I remember rightly, the rule on injured players is you can replace them within your squad before the start of your first game in the competition, so they've still got a few weeks yet. Bresnan's bowling is probably quite well suited to the low skiddy pitches on the subcontinent.

My first-choice XI would be:

Strauss

Bell

Trott

Pietersen

Morgan

Collingwood

Prior

Bresnan

Broad

Swann

Anderson

That said, I can quite easily see a scenario where either Bresnan or Broad is left out to accommodate Shahzad and/or Yardy.

Pretty close to the best team, although unless Collingwood scores some runs soon, I'd be tempted to bring in Shahzad or Yardy (depending on pitch/opponent etc). As it is, we would need to find 10 overs from part-time bowlers. I think Cook was unlucky not to make the squad - he could have done a job at the top of the order.

Swann has a bad back and is on his way back to the UK. "Should" be ok for World Cup hummmmm

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/news/article/-/8709414/injured-swann-to-return-to-england/

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/news/article/-/8709698/injured-swann-returns-to-england/

At least Broad is back training with the team.

Pretty close to the best team, although unless Collingwood scores some runs soon, I'd be tempted to bring in Shahzad or Yardy (depending on pitch/opponent etc). As it is, we would need to find 10 overs from part-time bowlers. I think Cook was unlucky not to make the squad - he could have done a job at the top of the order.

While Colly's batting is appalling at the moment, he's still our best fielder and on the subcontinent his bowling will be very useful.