Blackpool fined for fielding weakened team

Jimmy_D

The league authorities are a joke !

I'm no fan of the muppet (Holloway) but he has a point !

Should Saints be fined also for making 8 changes in the same match ?

There seems to be one law for the rich and another for the poor which is why Arsenal and Man U have never been censored but Wolves and Blackpool have !

The whole subject stinks and (as had already been mentioned!) you should be entitled to pick whoever you like from your 25 man squad !!

Grrr.........

That decision is a joke in my opinion. A £25,000 fine as well - what the hell is the point in that?

Just like Wolves last season, Blackpool were fully entitled to put whatever team they wanted out. The reason why managers even think about doing this is down to one single reason - money.

If you are a club like Wolves or Blackpool, the threat of relegation is real. Relegation nowadays is no longer simply the result of a poor season; it's also the prelude to financial meltdown in most cases. And for a lot of managers, relegation usually means the sack as well. Managers have to take this into account and work out their priorities, especially when they are in charge of smaller clubs.

But the bigger clubs have a similar issue, e.g. if they don't reach the Champions League. Of course they may not necessarily go into freefall down the leagues and go bust, but they're not exactly going to be in a great state either, so it is hardly rocket science when the FA Cup and League Cup do not take precedent over the league and Champions League. Money talks and that sadly is the way it is.

The rule needs to be scrapped because it just doesn't work. I can understand that the authorities don't want managers taking the p*** and devaluing competitions, but they need to understand why clubs do it.

The fact that Blackpool played so well means that this is a real kick-in-the-teeth for them too. Will Holloway quit? I think he just might actually.

will arsenal be fined for making 8 changes for the wigan game (which was straight after the chelsea win) where they drew 2-2...you could argue that a full strength arsenal team would beat wigan......or would they....??

fuking ridiculous..and no matter what you think of holloway, he is right on this one..

should saints be fined for making 8 changes in the cup against blackpool..?

This is a ridiculous rule that definitely needs scrapping, especially as teams now have to name a 25 man squad in the PL

Who is to say what is a weakened team ? How many changes? 3? 5? 7? 11?

What if the "weakened" team won 3-0 ? Would the fine still have been imposed? Could it then be argued that the team selected in the match(es) before the match with all the changes was the a "weakened" team?

Who defines which player is stronger/better than another player? If the powers that be consider themselves able to make the judgement then they may as well give every player a rating at the start of the season and decide the PL title in a Championship Manager style so the fans don't need to waste their time and money turning up to watch actual games every week.

I really hope they appeal against this.

Just another case in english football that makes me roll my eyes really. The FA and other footballing governing bodies really are ruining the sport for us 'real' fans. Think everyone is in total agreement that the fines handed out to Wolves and Blackpool are nothing short of scandelous. But it's the double standard that is the true crime. Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool constantly make multiple changes each week, so why don't they get fined? I remember 2 examples that ****ed saints over in our relegation season. Liverpool played their reserves away at Palace and lost, and then a few weeks later Man United played their reserves and drew at home to WBA. One of those results was actually the difference between £60 million and yet, the big club gets no fine.

But i'm not surprised. One only has to watch MOTD each weekend to see crucial game-changing decisions constantly going the way of a big club. Why do Blackpool never get a controversial penalty given to them against Man Utd or Liverpool? The Premiership is corrupt to the core and the FA will continue to ruin it.

If the PL/FA genuinely think that this is an issue, all they have to do is fine the Arse or the Mancs and then see what happens !

Guess what, there will be an outcry and the whole idea will be dead in the water !

Instead the gutless bureaucrats pick on the weakest of the bunch and consider themselves important !

Pretty sick really, almost makes Fifa look reasonable !

Grrr.........

This is a ridiculous rule that definitely needs scrapping, especially as teams now have to name a 25 man squad in the PL.

This.

What's the f**king point in declaring a 25 man squad if the manager cannot use it as they see fit?

Holloway did nothing wrong. The powers that be should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by Colinjb

As people have said, absolutely ridiculous to fine the club for playing players in their 25 man squad. Who are the PL to say that wasn't actually the best side they could have put out for that particular game anyway? Surely it's all subjective what players are better?

That said it would be crazy for Holloway to resign over £25,000 after all the good work he's done.

Second the "Holloway is a muppet" and "this rule is a joke" notions. Maybe they will fine Pompey for fielding a weakend side all season.

No point fining a club with no money :lol: Anyway aside from the stupidity of the punishment Holloway has "offered" his resignation which the Chairman isn't going to accept so Holloway will be going nowhere.

Premier League. Nothing to do with The F.A.

The original article mentioned that they played a weakened side in the FA CUP v SAINTS and that this was a factor, so although the PL adjudicate, there clearly is an FA involvement, no ?

(I am being a bit pedantic I know, but as often as not, it is cup games where weakened sides are used therefore it is not exclusively a PL issue !!).

The league authorities are a joke !

I'm no fan of the muppet (Holloway) but he has a point !

Should Saints be fined also for making 8 changes in the same match ?

There seems to be one law for the rich and another for the poor which is why Arsenal and Man U have never been censored but Wolves and Blackpool have !

The whole subject stinks and (as had already been mentioned!) you should be entitled to pick whoever you like from your 25 man squad !!

Grrr.........

This

I had a though on this matter whilst on the train to todays game. Let's say Saints wanted to rest some first team players for whatever reason. They should release a story on the OS like this, the morning of the match:

Saints Hit by Freak Injury Crisis

Southampton look to be without no less than 9 first team players for todays fixture against xxxxxx after a sudden bout of injuries to the squad. Adam Lallana is in hospital having his testicles untwisted after attempting too many step overs in training. Rickie Lambert is unwell after having too many beans on his breakfast. Richard Chaplow is busy getting a hair cut. Morgan Schneiderlin is on strike. Jose Fonte is suffering from back spasms after a particularly energetic sex session with someone elses missus. Frazer Richardson is suffering spasms after an energetic sex session with someone elses missus and Lee Barnard is away filming another remake of Mean Machine.

It would be 2 fingers up to the FA/football league. Whoever. We could then challenge them to prove the players weren't legitimately injured.

To be fair, it really is a joke that he got fined. The actual game in question, they only lost in the last minute. Pretty good effort for a team that is not good enough according to the Premier League.

I really dont get how they have the right to look at professional players and single out who should and shouldnt be playing. He has a 25 man squad, if he wants to he can put the goalie up front if he thinks he'd cause a problem up there.

Yet if they rest players in the FA Cup its no big deal at all.

No point fining a club with no money :lol: Anyway aside from the stupidity of the punishment Holloway has "offered" his resignation which the Chairman isn't going to accept so Holloway will be going nowhere.

No point fining a premiership club £25,000, what difference would that make to any of the clubs.