Security at Southampton Airport

Valesaint

Does anyone know the jobs worth who was on duty at Southampton Airport at around 6.30 last night? If you do tell him what a **** my family think he is.

Not only is the security at the Airport some of the strictest anywhere that I have travelled and I do travel a lot. They also seem to employ staff who know how to rub their passengers up the wrong way by their amazingly rude attitude. It is not only the one guy but the majority, not all, of the staff.

Let us be fair you do not have to have many brain cells to perform the task but there is no need to take their inadequacies out on the travelling public.

This guy shouted at me three times, each time louder and more threateningly "Empty your pockets" when he could see that I was just about to do that after his first request. Most airports accept change in pocket which I asked him about removing. The thing that got me pretty cross was that there was not a please in amongst his demands. It was only when I looked at him and said "please" did he utter the word reluctantly. I was hopeful that he was remorseful but no. His next request was just one word. "Watch!" I duly removed it as, of course, in all things these half wits have the ultimate authority and ability to thoroughly disrupt your life. It used to be fun to fly but no longer especially through Southampton Airport. Rant over until the next time I use the Airport.

I've travelled fairly often and have never heard of security staff letting you keep change in your pockets when going through the metal detectors, it seems that you've had a bad experience which must be galling for you but i've always thought the staff at Southampton to be very helpful. One thing i have noticed on my travels is the number of passengers second-guessing and demeaning the security staff and wondering why they get a negative response, not saying this was true in your case but your statement with regard to their intellectual capacity tends to lead me down that path. The security staff are there to improve flight safety, not to bow and scrape to your every whim, how about going prepared and with an open mind in future?

Strange I have never had any issues flying out of Southampton I always find it so much less hassle than flying out of Gatport Airwick of Heathrow. The only mither has been when I have forgotten to decant all my wash bag goodies into a clear bag. But 95% of the time they have just let it slide. You never know they could have had someone from on high observing with them when you went through. Still a bit of civility never goes amiss.

Guangzhou airport China do not let you take even 1 lighter in you hand baggage. I had forgotten to pack it in my suitcase so buried it in my cavernous briefcase. My bag went through the machine at great pace and the girl said seconds after it disapeared please remove the lighter from your bag (it was only just leaving the machine) and smiled she was so pleasant about it. Super efficient very polite.

Strange I have never had any issues flying out of Southampton I always find it so much less hassle than flying out of Gatport Airwick of Heathrow. The only mither has been when I have forgotten to decant all my wash bag goodies into a clear bag. But 95% of the time they have just let it slide. You never know they could have had someone from on high observing with them when you went through. Still a bit of civility never goes amiss.

Guangzhou airport China do not let you take even 1 lighter in you hand baggage. I had forgotten to pack it in my suitcase so buried it in my cavernous briefcase. My bag went through the machine at great pace and the girl said seconds after it disapeared please remove the lighter from your bag (it was only just leaving the machine) and smiled she was so pleasant about it. Super efficient very polite.

rule 1

Sounds like you got a rude individual who was out of order, which has no relation to all the other security officers who do a good job. Some of them are better than others, no different to anyone you come across in any job. Admittedly, you say it is not just the one guy, but I doubt that is the case.

Common courtesy should be afforded to anyone at any time in any situation, and if this guy was rude then as suggested above, you should complain to the Security Manager. I worked with some who were quite obnoxious at times which drive me mad, as I often had to deal with the complaints about them. That said, I take issue with the comments about Security Officers being halfwits. They go through some stringent training, and the good ones deserve more respect than that. They also have to put up with a lot of crap thanks to passengers who are also unable to show some common courtesy, and there are many, who think they are above the law.

SIAL - 3 shifts A,B and C. Each different in their approaches to customer service. Bit late now but you could have asked to speak with the ADM who although he/she would have backed the member of staff publicly may have had a quiet word in private.

They used to pride themselves on cistomer service down there.

I too have never found anyone who allows change to be left in your pockets...anything that sets off the metal detector is taboo.

I haven't found Southampton worse than any other...to restore your faith in the UK airports try a trip to the US. I have to go on business a few times a year & the rudeness & indolence of their immigration has to be experienced to be believed. Now I quite like the States but the airport experience would work against me taking the family there on holiday.

Does anyone know the jobs worth who was on duty at Southampton Airport at around 6.30 last night? If you do tell him what a **** my family think he is.

Not only is the security at the Airport some of the strictest anywhere that I have travelled and I do travel a lot. They also seem to employ staff who know how to rub their passengers up the wrong way by their amazingly rude attitude. It is not only the one guy but the majority, not all, of the staff.

Let us be fair you do not have to have many brain cells to perform the task but there is no need to take their inadequacies out on the travelling public.

This guy shouted at me three times, each time louder and more threateningly "Empty your pockets" when he could see that I was just about to do that after his first request. Most airports accept change in pocket which I asked him about removing. The thing that got me pretty cross was that there was not a please in amongst his demands. It was only when I looked at him and said "please" did he utter the word reluctantly. I was hopeful that he was remorseful but no. His next request was just one word. "Watch!" I duly removed it as, of course, in all things these half wits have the ultimate authority and ability to thoroughly disrupt your life. It used to be fun to fly but no longer especially through Southampton Airport. Rant over until the next time I use the Airport.

He is probably trying to get a promotion to Heathrow

Southampton is hit and miss, sometimes they are really friendly and you can have a laugh and a joke, other times, they are the rudest on earth and far more rude than ANY other airport I've been through. Guess it depends who is on duty and whether or they are sexually frustrated or not.

I bet you enjoyed The Marigold Treatment :blush:

Is that before you left? ;-)

I have to admit that me leaving was the best thing that could have happened for the airport. Sadly true I think you'd agree Minty.

Never looked back personally too. No hard feelings on my part though not sure it's reciprocated eh. ;-)

Bumped into AC (Figo) from my old shift the other week, what a nice bloke.

I have to admit that me leaving was the best thing that could have happened for the airport. Sadly true I think you'd agree Minty.

Never looked back personally too. No hard feelings on my part though not sure it's reciprocated eh. ;-)

Bumped into AC (Figo) from my old shift the other week, what a nice bloke.

Hammy, it was all a long time ago, and to be quite honest, I have no idea what actually happened! lol

Same here, enjoyed my time, but onwards and upwards since.

Check the rules then you won't be one of those irritating passengers that slow the process for everyone.

That would help, no doubt about it. So many people think they know the rules, but it takes a few minutes to check so that you're prepared when you pass through security, and saves yourself, the staff, and fellow passengers a lot of time.

Travel Tip

All loose change must be removed from your pockets - in place for at least 25 years

Check the rules then you won't be one of those irritating passengers that slow the process for everyone.

I use Gatwick and Heathrow at least twice a month and do not have to remove change from pockets and never my watch either.

I commuted weekly from Southampton to Brussels for about 4 years and my opinion was that they were among the most courteous and pleasant bunch that you could come across !

I've experienced downright Gestapo treatment elsewhere and (although it's difficult to generalise!) I reckon that you were just unlucky on the day !

Ps. change in pockets is definitely not allowed and is clearly displayed on most warning signage !

I travel in & out of southampton at least fortnightly and they have one of the most efficient and friendly security teams I have come across. The fact that you think most airports allow pocket change suggests that you dont travel quite as regularly as you make out. I suspect that the shouting was in an effort to hurry you along so that they could maintain the normal efficiency we all expect. Perhaps if you had read all of the signs (and there are a lot of them) and emptied your pockets before the last few seconds they would have been a little more polite.