Biggest south coast club?

ericofarabia

Firstly hats off to Brighton & bomo for defying the odds and pulling away at the top of the table with crowds of little over 7000 on a good day (and a bad day !!)

Meanwhile at Crappedon Park .... on the back of a new club record of 6 clean sheets and 6 wins and soaring up the table .... the crowds come flocking back to notarf Krap and an amazing 150096 ... oooops sorry make that 15096 including ( my guess here - probably 1000 away fans - I stand to be corrected possibly more , possibly less)

Meanwhile .... Our LOWEST league crowd on the end of a run of failing to score in 6 out of our previous 7 games, managerial shenanigans and a general disbelief that we weren't top of the league and aura of WTF is happening and a massive 350 or so Colchester fans - a mere 17857 turned up.

Of course this will count for nothing, if at the end of the season we are still in L1 and the rest of them are in The Championship.

Please let us over take Bomo , but let them get through via the (for them) money spinning play offs - result all round.

Please let us over take Bomo , but let them get through via the (for them) money spinning play offs - result all round.

Agree with this, providing we finish above Bournemouth I would love to see all 3 of us south Coast clubs go up.

The only good thing about bourno going up is that they would likely fill one of next years relegation spots. If they go up it' s a crapp away game you can't get tkts for. And it perpetuates this faux 'rivalry' for another season.

Fair play to where they are and fully deserved but I would be quite happy if they didn't go up, for forty years they have barely registered on my football radar, let's leave them to well deserved lower league obscurity.

PS Howe well is Eddie doing at Burnley?

We are the biggest out of Portsmouth, Bournemouth and Brighton.

True, we are below all of them in the league.

But we are still the biggest team on the south coast.

We are also the lowest league team on the south coast.

But we are the biggest.

Also, our squad, player-by-player is better than all of theirs.

Even though we are below them all.

We are brilliant compared to all them.

Even though we are below them.

Every sensible south-coast fan would be jealous to be in our position.

Except that our position is, err...

...below them.

Of course you are the biggest club on the south coast - but you and Pompey and quite similar in size. Plymouth and Brighton next and then us.

Oh and not all of us Bournemouth fans hate Saints - like Sandwich said (although a bit arrogantly) you haven't been on our radar either to be fair...as we've hardly played each other!

Now Reading and Gillingham....now you're talking...grrrr ;-)

Firstly hats off to Brighton & bomo for defying the odds and pulling away at the top of the table with crowds of little over 7000 on a good day (and a bad day !!)

Meanwhile at Crappedon Park .... on the back of a new club record of 6 clean sheets and 6 wins and soaring up the table .... the crowds come flocking back to notarf Krap and an amazing 150096 ... oooops sorry make that 15096 including ( my guess here - probably 1000 away fans - I stand to be corrected possibly more , possibly less)

Meanwhile .... Our LOWEST league crowd on the end of a run of failing to score in 6 out of our previous 7 games, managerial shenanigans and a general disbelief that we weren't top of the league and aura of WTF is happening and a massive 350 or so Colchester fans - a mere 17857 turned up.

Of course this will count for nothing, if at the end of the season we are still in L1 and the rest of them are in The Championship.

I've never understood the insecurity complex and p*ssing contest mentality about who is the biggest club on the south coast.

1. I dont understand the arbitrary regionalisation - Reading is closer to Southampton thant Brighton, for example.

2. Actually, why does it bloody well matter anyway ? What defines "biggest" ? Is anybody going to change allegiance based on an arbitrary set of criteria ?

I am Saints, worry about my team and dont give a f**k about the others. I couldnt even tell you how Portmsouth got on today, I am that interested, and only could tell you Brighton and Bournemouth because their results so affect us at the moment.

I've never understood the insecurity complex and p*ssing contest mentality about who is the biggest club on the south coast.

1. I dont understand the arbitrary regionalisation - Reading is closer to Southampton thant Brighton, for example.

2. Actually, why does it bloody well matter anyway ? What defines "biggest" ? Is anybody going to change allegiance based on an arbitrary set of criteria ?

I am Saints, worry about my team and dont give a f**k about the others. I couldnt even tell you how Portmsouth got on today, I am that interested, and only could tell you Brighton and Bournemouth because their results so affect us at the moment.

It doesn't matter but people are interested in positioning their club against others, particularly rivals, so I can see why people discuss it. The subject was interesting enough for you to give your thoughts, even if it was to declare you don't care, so there is at least merit to discussing it.

It doesn't matter but people are interested in positioning their club against others' date=' particularly rivals, so I can see why people discuss it. The subject was interesting enough for you to give your thoughts, even if it was to declare you don't care, so there is at least merit to discussing it.[/quote']

Fair enough, but I reckon it draws a disproportionate amount of attention. To me its just a version of the playground tactic "My Dad's bigger than your Dad"

Fair enough, but I reckon it draws a disproportionate amount of attention. To me its just a version of the playground tactic "My Dad's bigger than your Dad"

My penis is bigger than your penis, although you are the largest penis of all.

Outside of London we are the biggest club in the South, Saints are the South.

Saints are the south? Should have sign posts put around southampton to state this, would remind your south coast neighbours every time they visit that you are so great.

Touch of arrogance again me thinks.........

Saints are the south? Should have sign posts put around southampton to state this, would remind your south coast neighbours every time they visit that you are so great.

Touch of arrogance again me thinks.........

But it's true.

Brighton should be bigger than they are. Massive catchment area. Own county to themselves!

Would be interesting to see how they fared attendance wise in the Prem with their new stadium.

Brighton are in a similar positon to we were at the Dell. You can only sell so many tickets and only generate so much revenue when you have such a restricted capacity. I'd expect their crowds to at least double next season and if, as seems highly likely they will be in the NPC, they'll probably get crowds of 17-18k. Fairly big city with a big catchment area and a now they have a decent side and money i wouldn't be surprised if it's not long before they make it to the Premier league.

But it's true.

Guess it makes you happy knowing you are so big and better than your so called south coast clubs. Wish i could be you and feel that wonderful feeling you have of being so big, what can i say.....................

Brighton are in a similar positon to we were at the Dell. You can only sell so many tickets and only generate so much revenue when you have such a restricted capacity. I'd expect their crowds to at least double next season and if, as seems highly likely they will be in the NPC, they'll probably get crowds of 17-18k. Fairly big city with a big catchment area and a now they have a decent side and money i wouldn't be surprised if it's not long before they make it to the Premier league.

Well said. Who will make it to the premier league first you or us?

Well said. Who will make it to the premier league first you or us?

Depends on this season mate. If we both go up then i'd say us, if you do and we dont, then you will, we'll both get there in time though i think. The title is yours to lose as far as this season goes though, hats off to you for that one. Has your new stadium got any room for expansion? I'd have thought you'd be able to get more than 22k in the premier league.

Depends on this season mate. If we both go up then i'd say us, if you do and we dont, then you will, we'll both get there in time though i think. The title is yours to lose as far as this season goes though, hats off to you for that one. Has your new stadium got any room for expansion? I'd have thought you'd be able to get more than 22k in the premier league.

All four corners can have seats and the east stand can have another tier put on without altering the roof. This will give us another 8000 seats. Club are already talking about expansion as season ticket sales are going well but would say would be at least a couple of years before that happened. Just glad to have a decent home thats ours. Think if you go up this season would only be a couple of seasons before you are back in premier league. Be good if all 3 south clubs went up this year.

All four corners can have seats and the east stand can have another tier put on without altering the roof. This will give us another 8000 seats. Club are already talking about expansion as season ticket sales are going well but would say would be at least a couple of years before that happened. Just glad to have a decent home thats ours. Think if you go up this season would only be a couple of seasons before you are back in premier league. Be good if all 3 south clubs went up this year.

It'd be great to have all 4 South Coast clubs plus Reading in the same league. Some decent local derbies there and have abit of focus on football in this areas for once. Obviously with us all beating Pompey easily twice and them having a annual battle to stay up ;)

Size of club is essentially based on capacity and attendance so by a long way we are the biggest on the South coast, indeed we are the biggest outside London and south of Birmingham. But of course in any given season a smaller club can be higher ranked. Generalle attendance levels and size of customer base determines income and loosely potential to succeed. For these reasons I have no doubt that we will always be bigger than Pompey, Brighton Bournemouth, Reading etc etc.

Small clubs will have their days and Brighton and Bournemouth are having theirs right now. Bournemouth are just about at their limit whereas Brighton will potentially be conpetitive in the NPC. Potentially a yo-yo club between Prem and NPC IF they can fill their ground regularly. But I doubt they will.

Also back to the old school south area - Bmth, Pompey, Saints, Brighton, Reading and Aldershot. None of this Swindon and MK Dons nonsence!!

Unfortunately, even though with a big local area - Bmth 167k, Poole 138k for starters - too many people move to the area and have their own teams. Brighton have the advantage of being more isolated footie wise..I never knew there were so many Saints fans in our local area until this seasom..the cheek ;-)

It'd be great to have all 4 South Coast clubs plus Reading in the same league. Some decent local derbies there and have abit of focus on football in this areas for once. Obviously with us all beating Pompey easily twice and them having a annual battle to stay up ;)

Agree with that and us of course beating Palace twice. Good luck for rest of season barring your trip to the withdean.

Size of club is essentially based on capacity and attendance so by a long way we are the biggest on the South coast, indeed we are the biggest outside London and south of Birmingham. But of course in any given season a smaller club can be higher ranked. Generalle attendance levels and size of customer base determines income and loosely potential to succeed. For these reasons I have no doubt that we will always be bigger than Pompey, Brighton Bournemouth, Reading etc etc.

Small clubs will have their days and Brighton and Bournemouth are having theirs right now. Bournemouth are just about at their limit whereas Brighton will potentially be conpetitive in the NPC. Potentially a yo-yo club between Prem and NPC IF they can fill their ground regularly. But I doubt they will.

Why do you doubt they will? I think if they have a successful side they can easily fill 22k in the Premier or if they are near the top of the Championship. Brighton & Hove is as big a city as Southampton and they have the whole of Sussex and a bit Kent as a catchement area, there is no reason to think if they are successful they wont fill their ground. I agree that we are the biggest club south of the M4, outside of London. Brighton could be bigger than the others though, Reading is a relatively small town and with its close proximity to London alwasy going to struggle to attrach big crowds regularly. Bournemouth are at their peak, Pompey are in decline and no where near as big as they think they are.

Do you fill your ground regulary? No. If we were both in the premier then we would both sell out each week i have no doubt in that.

No reason why we can't be bigger and be a championship club - we have the local population, but a lot of 'hearts and minds' need to be worked on.

15-20k crowds in the early 70's - but it's a shame that there are so many prem shirt wearing gloryhunters these days - that hurts us..

Just think we have been dismissed a bit sniffily in this discussion!!

Brighton would fill that ground easily in the Prem. People forget that the demographics of football has completely changed, it's not for the working classes anymore it's all about the middle class families taking their kids to go and see Rooney etc. Brighton like Southampton has a lot of potential because there are plenty of people with money nearby.

Our only Football rivals are The Skates. Bournemouth, Brighton and anyone else you care to mention only become rivals when we happen to be in the same division which over the last 125 years has been very few seasons because they have been lower down the pyramid. Simples!

Do you fill your ground regulary? No. If we were both in the premier then we would both sell out each week i have no doubt in that.

Actually depends what you regard as regularly. In the Prem and indeed div 1 pre Prem era we sold out virtually every game for decades. In League 1 we have regularly sold out once or twice a season! However you try to put it we average ove 21k which is the best in the league and higher than some Prem teams and most NPC teams. If we were both in the Prem I'm sure we wotld sell out but you won't and anyway we wotld have 8-10k more every game. Get real.

That this is a discussion topic is testimony to our fall and the rise of the B&B(HA). I will always be pleased about our neighbours manfully getting out of the third tier, so long as Saints are frkin stratospheres above them which we AREN'T AND THAT MAKEES ME ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

That this is a discussion topic is testimony to our fall and the rise of the B&B(HA). I will always be pleased about our neighbours manfully getting out of the third tier, so long as Saints are frkin stratospheres above them which we AREN'T AND THAT MAKEES ME ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

If leading Div 1 is a 'rise' for BHA that sums it all up that the 'normal' order of things is completely out of sync right now.