Battlefield 3

St Marco

• 2 months later...

I think DICE are one of the most talented groups out there. They make the best multi-player games. Battlefield 3 will have a single player but the multi-player will be the main reason to buy it.

The Frostbite engine will add much more realistic components to multi-player. Like buildings being destroyed. The area will looklike there was a battle there. With COD that just does not happen.

Battlefield 2 was awesome for it's time. Your never forget when you first got to fly a chopper or fighter jet. The maps are huge and have loads of mini fights all over it. There are no choke points and random spawns. That is one of the things that annoys me about COD. They need maps where you have to either assault or defend something. With COD you just go round and round and the things your fighting for are pretty pointless. There is no thrill of knowing your behind enemy lines and you could get capped at any momment. That is what made BF2 so great. You could get a group in a chopper and fly across the map. You might get shot down by a jet but you also might go un-seen. Then you get to take an area. When you do that you know the enemy will be coming for that spot so you try and get into a defensive position. Which means you could have some epic fire fights. Medics bringing people back to life. Support groups flying in supplies and ammo. Planes dropping parachuters and so on. To me COD games seem all about the numbers, how many you killed, what xp you got, what rank you got and so on. BF games are about the action. The memory of a kick ass close battle is the reward.

COD will sell more, no doubt about it. But BF3 will be the better game in terms of metacritic/reviews. Dice have spent a long long time on this game. Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some E3 gameplay

Gameplay from tank battles

Is awesome! Love the new engine and how the world changes from what you do. Like when you fire the tanks dust kicks up and if you do it a lot it does it to the point where you can't see!

And new Metro Map trailer

[video=youtube;aPu7-LtLKmU]

Edited by St Marco

• 1 month later...
Would you say I've missed out if I never played BF2? I love shooters but I got bored of MW2 and Bops.

Need something to fill the late summer autumn gap.

Bf2 is quite old now (2005) but still has a huge community. Can probably get it cheap nowdays too.

But i'd say give it a skip as it isn't really important that you have played it. Maybe pick up Battlefield bad company 2 which came out a year or so ago. Great game and will give you an idea of what to expect.

The difference between Battlefield and Call of Duty is that one is arcade and one is simulation. They are both good games but you have to play them differently. COD is more about quick run and gun fire fights. Dying means nothing, can spawn all over the place and get back to killing each other!

Where as Battlefield is more slower pace which builds up into fierce battles. Because the maps are massive. That is why it is called Battlefield. You can do the run and gun if you like and you might have some success but it is more about being patient and using your brain. In COD the point of it is really to kill as many people as possible. People want to get to the top of the kill charts so they think more selfish. In BF it isn't about kills as such, it is about taking certain areas of the map or destroying certain things and then holding it. Or one defending and the other assaulting. To get from one side of the map to the other can take sometime. This gives you the ability to play many different game styles. You can be a sniper and try and get into enemy teritory unseen. Or be a squad of bad ass's flying around in a chopper jumping out behind enemy lines trying to capture a building/area/flag etc. You could take a tank, a boat, a jeep, or if your good with vehicles a fighter jet and so on. Flying is not easy though as can get taken down by enemy planes.

As i say they are both good games but for me personally i am not interested in kill counts and stuff like that. For me Battlefield has been a lot more fun.

Been playing the test version of this. It's a browser thing so a bit rough around the edges, but a very good game and the sounds, my god the sounds.

My advice to you, first thing you do whn you get the game, turn your sound up and fire a rocket. This might make you spaff.

• 3 weeks later...

I will link it on the site so you don't need to go to youtube,

Have to say that looks soooo amazing. Probably the best video i have ever seen. What makes it even better is that it is all in game footage from the multi-player!

Finally get to see the planes/copters being flown and it looks epic! I can imagine flying the fighter jets will be just as hard as in bf2 but boy does it look fun!

My pc might actually explode playing this....

Be interested to see what this looks/plays like on the consoles. Hopethey can pull off the air combat on the 360. Been waiting for this for years.

I wouldn't be too worried. Bad company 2 on the PC and console was pretty much identical in terms of gfx, and although the majority of the videos released are produced from high end PC's i think its safe to say the console versions will look stunning! I can understand someone with a high end pc looking full 1080p with all the bells and whistles but im happy with 720p.

I think halo confirmed that FPS's can be played on a console, and since then i've just got used to the pad controls over mouse and keyboard.

Gamespot got to have a go at Gamescom and wrote up a great article

http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6329549/battlefield-3-co-op-and-conquest-preview?tag=topslot;img;2

Some of the things which stood out (remember BF is a multi=player game at heart so this is about the mp).

"When the match first started, we were lucky enough to spawn directly into one of the two jets situated at our team's base (the two sides, predictably, are the US and Russia). There's a fairly steep learning curve to the way you maneuver these jets. Taking off is a simple matter of hitting the W key and pulling back on the mouse, but once you get up into the sky, you've got to exercise some real patience for getting the hang of things. The biggest challenge when starting out is that it's really easy to just zip straight over the cluster of capture points on the ground, which forms a relatively small chunk of the map compared to the sprawling outskirts the game gives pilots to turn back around.

More than a few players in our match clearly grew impatient with the jet and just started going full-on kamikaze in a self-inflicted blaze of glory, but we managed to keep at it and get a decent hang of things. There's quite an incentive to do so: the gameworld looks amazing from way up in the sky. You feel like you can see across the entirety of the Middle East from up there, and the way the game's engine renders the battle below--including one smoking and fire-covered hillside--is just terrific"

"Given how much time we spent up in the sky, we didn't get a chance to try out all the new classes down on the ground, but we did take a few stabs at the long-ranged recon, or sniper, class. Why this class? Dominating the skyline of this map is a humongous radio tower looming like a red-and-white-striped beacon for all would-be snipers. We couldn't resist the temptation, so we spawned in as a recon and made a beeline for the thing. Inside was a ladder that took us a solid 30 to 45 seconds to scale, but at the top was a dream of a sniper perch that let us see almost the entire map.

Trying to pick off enemies was a genuine challenge given the generous levels of weapon sway DICE has added to the sniper rifles and the fact that your scope now appears to glint and shimmer in the sunlight as a heads-up for enemy players. Still, we managed to get a few solid kills in before we were taken out by a skilled tank driver below. Like in previous Battlefield games, physics are a huge obstacle to sniping. You have to be quick on your toes to compensate for bullet drop while also making sure to lead any running enemies. But if you find that too much of a challenge, you can still spot enemies so that they appear marked with an orange icon on your teammates' screens"

"Our time with Conquest was every bit as chaotic and messy as you'd expect from a 64-player match composed entirely of people getting their first hands-on with Battlefield 3 multiplayer. Even so, we can tell that the foundation is there for a truly exceptional multiplayer mode once you put in the time to learn the ins and outs of each vehicle and how best to navigate the gargantuan map"

And for the console gamer

"Before we finish, we should note one interesting bit of trivia straight from DICE's Karl-Magnus Troedsson: The PC version of Battlefield 3 won't be the only one with multiplayer server browsers; you'll even be able to browse for servers on consoles."

About fecking time someone got round to doing that! Can finally find a server with like minded people and kick the annoying kids that plague cod.

Edited by St Marco

• 3 weeks later...

There are some rumblings that the open beta (basically online demo) will start this thursday. However if you didn't pre-order from Origin you will have to wait 2 days....

If it isn't this thursday then you would think it would be by the end of the following week as would then only have a month until it's release. Not much time for bug killing!

• 3 weeks later...
one things for sure going by the previous post, i wont be getting it on a console.

That video does not represent the quaility of the consoles, The footage had been downloaded in mp4, edited and then upolaoded. Also some of it is PC footage. I'm not going to get into a PC verses console argument, you will have to have a very good computer to play it on anything other than medium settings. If you have then fair play it will of course be better than a console.

Anyway had a few hours on the beta yesterday and i'm very impressed so far, a few bugs but nothing major. If any of you are going to be playing this on the PS3 than feel free to add me, psn id SJC73 put saints forum in the message.

That video does not represent the quaility of the consoles, The footage had been downloaded in mp4, edited and then upolaoded. Also some of it is PC footage. I'm not going to get into a PC verses console argument, you will have to have a very good computer to play it on anything other than medium settings. If you have then fair play it will of course be better than a console.

Anyway had a few hours on the beta yesterday and i'm very impressed so far, a few bugs but nothing major. If any of you are going to be playing this on the PS3 than feel free to add me, psn id SJC73 put saints forum in the message.

I'll download and be playing from tomorrow. PSN is S13SFC

• 4 weeks later...

Was round at a mate's house earlier and he found that a package had been wrongly delivered to his address - inside? A NEW PC VERSION OF BATTLEFIELD 3!

In 2 minds as to what to do with it... can't send it onto him as he's put the wrong delivery address in and f*ck sending it back to Amazon!

It's no better than BF2 IMHO.

Selling mine, not worth the hype or money.

I really like it. It will get much better as the patches roll out. BF2 started off in the same way and that ended up being epic.

The only thing i truely hate is Origin. Wish we didn't have to use that.

Have to say this is probably the best multi-player i have played on pc. 64 man conquest is just outstanding. The whole sound and physics make the fire fights seem so vicious. Takes awhile to get the hang of things and learn the maps but is worth it in the end.