What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

I got as far as the song title WG, but who wrote/performed that particular one? Must have been pre-50s, but I can't find any references to it.

I vaguely remember the Goon shows from my childhood (born 1949) but the music never had any significance for me. Having listened to it it sounds like a jazz piece to me and is likely to have been composed by Geldray himself. I don't recognise it at all.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just to add to the shoegazing theme I saw Is Bliss last night. Best band I've heard live in yonks. A bit of Adorable oand some Verve storm in heaven in there too.

I think they're a great band. Have you heard The Vryll Society from Liverpool? I first saw them in Dublin a couple of years ago. Seen then 5 or 6 times since. First saw them supporting Blossoms. Also on the bill were Viola Beach who were tragically killed just a few days later.

• 1 month later...
The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding

Did you see them on the Lost in a Dream tour at Southampton Guildhall? I thought they were good. I'm going to see them again at Portsmouth Guildhall next month. They've got a better support act for the A Deeper Understanding tour: The Barr Brothers. Their new album, Queens of the Breakers, is worth listening to.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tubes are playing the Engine Rooms tomorrow night, always a brilliant show. They usually play the Brook, no idea why they've changed venues this year. Worth seeing them as they are knocking on a bit, never know when you'll get another chance :smug:

The Tubes are playing the Engine Rooms tomorrow night, always a brilliant show. They usually play the Brook, no idea why they've changed venues this year. Worth seeing them as they are knocking on a bit, never know when you'll get another chance :smug:

I thought that when I went to see Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers in Hyde Park this summer & Linkin Park at the O2.

Blimey, I remember seeing them at the Gaumont in ooh...1979?

Blimey, I remember seeing them at the Gaumont in ooh...1979?

Thats when I first saw them!!! :o The "what do you want from live" tour, still got the vinyl double album, got them to sign it last year at the Brook. Also saw them on my 50th birthday in New York, and seen them loads of times here.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you see them on the Lost in a Dream tour at Southampton Guildhall? I thought they were good. I'm going to see them again at Portsmouth Guildhall next month. They've got a better support act for the A Deeper Understanding tour: The Barr Brothers. Their new album, Queens of the Breakers, is worth listening to.

Unforgivably I missed both gigs! But thanks for the heads up ref the Barr Brothers new album!!

Unforgivably I missed both gigs! But thanks for the heads up ref the Barr Brothers new album!!

The highlight of The War On Drugs' gig at Portsmouth Guildhall was a superb extended version of An Ocean In Between The Waves. They ran up against the 11pm Guildhall curfew so there was only time for one encore. The Barr Brothers' performance of the title track of Queens Of The Breakers, especially, was much better than the recorded version. They really ae very good live musicians.

• 2 weeks later...

Gilbert O`Sullivan - `Nothing Rhymed.` He was right - nothing seems to rhyme these days, so I`ll just drink my Napoleon Shandy and eat more than enough apple pies. Will I glance at my screen and see real human beings starve to death right in front of my eyes?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Entering a folk phase. Strangers album by The Young 'Uns. Maybe not everyone's taste, but brilliant singing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The Young'uns are excellent. I have seen them a few times, most recently at the Turner Sims in Southampton with the new version of Peter Bellamy's "The Transports" which was brilliant. Well worth looking out the CD of this if you can.

The Young'uns are excellent. I have seen them a few times, most recently at the Turner Sims in Southampton with the new version of Peter Bellamy's "The Transports" which was brilliant. Well worth looking out the CD of this if you can.
Saw them for the first time recently - Ballad of Johnny Longstaff - and was totally bowled over. Superb story telling and brilliant singing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Been watching several YouTube videos featuring the great Bert Jansch. Known primarily as one of the founding members of the folk-jazz group Pentangle. But he put out many excellent solo albums. Wonderful acoustic guitarist, who influenced many other musicians of his generation. And a fine songwriter, as well. This is the title track from an album released in 1973.

[video=youtube;j_KQiz1-0qk]

• 2 weeks later...

I've been checking out Ry Cooder videos on YouTube lately—in anticipation of a live show tomorrow night at Massey Hall in Toronto.

Here he is in 1977 on The Old Grey Whistle Test doing the great song "He'll Have to Go", a single for Jim Reeves in 1960. Cooder recorded this for his superb album "Chicken Skin Music" (1976). Everything he does is great!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...